Next Thread
Print Thread
#32016 08/26/06 06:03 AM
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
Miranda, this was such a fun piece! And a subject that I have often wondered about myself.

I love how you wrote Lois' dilemma about opening Clark's mail, then her humorous disappointment when she discovered how mundane it was. But then those reporter instincts certainly kicked in! Man, Lois must have *really* wanted to skip lunch with her mom to have turned this into such a mystery! And her actions are just so Impulsive Lois.

“I don’t think you want to know.” Lois replied with a sigh, feeling a blush touch at her cheeks. Now that she was in a more placid state of mind she wanted most of all to banish the past few hours to the back of her mind.

“Believe me.” He chuckled, “I do.”
Loving Lois' embarrassement and Clark's sweet humor about it.

She loved the fact that this man; her husband, confidant and guardian was so uniquely imperfect.
This is perfect, Miranda, because I think this is what we all love about CK.

Nice job!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#32017 08/26/06 09:30 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
What a fun story, Miranda! goofy

“I got a bit carried away,” She admitted, glancing at the mess around her, “but I can’t find what I am looking for.”

“And just what is that?” he asked, watching as she moved into a standing position before him.

“You tell me.” She placed her hands on her hips, defying him to deceive her.
LOL! I love the quick turn around here from a quiet guilty to accusatory. *Great* Lois characterization there. thumbsup

“I don’t think you want to know.” Lois replied with a sigh, feeling a blush touch at her cheeks. Now that she was in a more placid state of mind she wanted most of all to banish the past few hours to the back of her mind.

“Believe me.” He chuckled, “I do.”
lol I love this line, too! I can just *hear* this in my head. Actually, their whole conversation I can readily hear in my head, which means you've done a great job in writing and characterization! And a good job cracking me up too. laugh

It was a funny and cute resolution, but I have one quibble - I'm still not convinced of Clark's *need* to go to the optometrist; eye doctors don't really keep such strict tabs on people. Maybe if the Planet required it as part of a yearly physical or something? I don't know. Anyway, that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. smile

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#32018 08/26/06 10:56 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
That really was cute.
Can I offer a couple corrections?

She had, herself, worn his glasses on various occasions and hadn’t been aware of any change to her own eyesight. Surely if he wore subscription glasses she would have noticed a difference
I don't know which part of the world you live in, but in the US we don't say subscription glasses, we say prescription glasses. I don't know what other parts of the world say.

Even Clark had been unaware of the fact that she was near-sighted until he had caught her reading in bed with her glasses on. It was a weakness she was more than a little ashamed of.
This is the weird part of vision, near-sighted is when you can't see far away, and far-sighted is when you can't see close up. So she would be far-sighted if she is wearing reading glasses.I always wondered why they named it like that.

This really was nice and different. Thanks
Sue

#32019 08/26/06 04:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Love it, Miranda! smile I'm so glad you've posted another story!!

I was going to mention the subscription thing, but I see suez already has. It sounded strange... I kind of figured maybe it got lost in translation or your fingers started typing on their own (I do that all the time! LOL)

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us! I love how you explained about the glasses, very amusing. smile

I'm looking forward to other stories from you!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#32020 08/26/06 06:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, this was just a lovely story!!

I just love how Lois tries to convince herself that she isn't 'nosy'. And then she is so nosy, she tears the house apart! rotflol

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#32021 08/26/06 08:15 PM
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Miranda,

The Eyes (or Ayes as they say in the UK Parliament) definitely have it! There are no one to cast a "NO" vote here!

You've described Lois in an investigative furry is wonderful.

Regards,

SNL

#32022 08/26/06 11:24 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Thanks for your postitive comments guys. I did mean 'prescription' instead of 'subscription'. blush (I'll go and edit that now) I guess like you say, what I heard in my mind wasn't what I wrote down! Also with the far-sighted/near-sighted thing. In my defence, I did ask my mother, but she similarly had a wild guess! I'll change that too. blush

The idea came when I received a letter from my optician demanding I book another appointment. I began thinking about Clark, and thought I'd like to put some ideas in Lois' head, that I know have been going through mine! I didn't check to see if opticians send out letters in the US, as they do here in the UK (or at least where I live!) I should have really -- but then there wouldn't have been a story!

I'm glad you all like it. I'm a bit sick of it to be honest, but I'm sure when I look back in a few weeks time I'll be proud of the end result.

As for the title; I guess that it is a bit offputting. I was afraid that people would think it was an episode re-make. I think perhaps I'll change it.

Once again, thanks for being so nice, and eager to read what I write. X

#32023 08/27/06 06:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I didn't check to see if opticians send out letters in the US, as they do here in the UK (or at least where I live!) I should have really -- but then there wouldn't have been a story!
I would bet it's a universal thing... They want you to come back every year for sure. smile I'm not in the US either, but I get a letter from my optician every year and I get a phone call from my dentist every 6 months, too. So I think it's safe to assume they would do that all over the world. wink

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#32024 08/27/06 12:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Suez - You can also wear reading glasses for near-sightedness. Not just far-sighted folks wear reading glasses. You do see stuff close-up with nearsightedness - sometimes very close up - right with your nose on the paper close-up, so you need reading glasses so you can read the printed matter at a reasonable angle. But then of course with nearsightedness, you usually need glasses for other things, too - like driving and seeing the leaves on a tree. Farsightedness if actually much more rare than nearsightedness. When you see people wearing glasses and the glasses make their eyes look unnaturally huge then they are farsighted. If you don't see that then they are wearing glasses for another reason. Another very common reason for reading glasses is astigmatism.

Miranda, why don't you just change it to Lois wearing reading glasses - let people come to their own conclusions.

My eye 'doctors' want to see me every year and I get cards or phone calls - same with the dentist. They want the business.

By the way, an optician cannot give you a prescription for lenses - they can only fit you with the glasses or contacts. An optometrist is someone who went to school especially to take care of a person's eyes, and they can give you the prescription. While they are doctors, they are not physicians. A opthamologist is a medical doctor (physician) with specialized training dealing with the eyes. They can also give you a prescription. If you need something like cataract removal done, only a opthamologist can do this.

[Linked Image] Nutty Nurse strikes again.....

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#32025 08/27/06 10:32 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm beginning to think I should have reseached this a lot better.. lol

Thanks for comments. I will change it to reading glasses. I myself wear glasses for seeing the TV, driving or going to the cinema etc, but I don't recall being told what kind of problem I have i.e near-sighted etc.

So, should I change it to optometrist instead of optician? As you can tell.. I don't really know much about eyes. I go to a small village optician, who prescribes my lenses. I guess he would therefore be a optometrist instead of an optician?

Thanks for all your comments. I feel kinda stupid that I messed up on so much stuff. I've learned my lesson, from now on I will get my stuff beta read beforehand!

#32026 09/05/06 01:15 PM
R
Blogger
Blogger
R
Adorable story. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it!

#32027 09/09/06 05:04 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Great story! I loved how you wrote both characters.

AnnieJ

#32028 09/09/06 07:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute premise! I love Lois destroying the house looking for...lenses LOL. I personally love the title, but that's just me.

Eyes...a whole slew of people could write the prescription. An optometrist wrote mine, but I usually see an opthamologist, and now my new eye doctor is a neuro opthamologist...

Randomly, not that I would ever diagnose you LOL, but I'm farsighted (and I have astigmatism just for kicks), and I'm not supposed to wear my glasses when I drive...but I don't know. Sometimes I wear my prescription reading glasses when I watch tv and stuff just because life can turn into one big squint. :p

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard