Print Thread
#31779 08/19/06 03:26 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm not entirely sure I approve of Clark when he invades people's minds and removes parts of their memories, but in Mayson's case I'll make an exception. That woman gave me the willies here. Telling her about Clark and Superman felt like opening the door to Clark's home and asking catastrophe to enter. Just imagine, Mayson thought she had slept with Clark! In your dreams, Mrs Drake-Smith. Literally. (But I'm glad Clark was kind enough to let Mayson keep her fantasy about having made love to Clark. She'll be happier if she is allowed to keep believing that about the two of them.)

There are other catastrophes waiting to enter Clark's home, however. The Mutilator!!! If he isn't one of the scariest villains ever.... Please let Zared and Jon stop him. I love the idea of the two sons of Superman working together. I really liked Zared's superhero outfit. Is Jon going to don one soon? Or maybe he's a bit shy and unwilling, a bit hesitant, just the way he approaches the idea of intimacy with Hannah?

Speaking of Hanna, I would love it even more if she became the third superhero here. Imagine! A trio of young superheroes! Hannah should be some version of Robin, I think. At least I imagine her that way. Of course, I don't think her mother would approve, and even I have to admit that it's too early for Hannah to go public with her powers. She needs to practice using them a lot more before she can trust herself to use them in life or death situations. Still, you know... I do think Hannah could make a difference even now when they try to catch the Mutilator.

And Marilyn and Bruce come to Clark's home to talk to Hannah. Nanacy, I loved this:
"Marilyn, I don't know how you convinced me to do this, but... Well, if it can work for Clark. Okay, Hannah. I'm Batman."
You know this totally cracked me up! Nancy, you read DJ's delightful nfic, Novel Idea. I don't have to ask you if you remember the little revelation game that Lois and Clark played in the epilogue:
“I’m...” he whispers.

“Yes?”

“I’m... Batman.”
rotflol

Well, you see, I was thinking of that when I read the last sentence of your post! But honestly, even if it wasn't quite as funny as DJ's "revelation", I much, much appreciate what Bruce told Hannah here!

Please come back soon with more of this story!

Ann

#31780 08/19/06 05:39 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
And, god, if you tell anybody... Don't you *dare* put my kids in danger."
As they were walking up the steps, he said, "Well, you see, I did tell her, but she doesn't remember. I... took it from her. It's really hard to do, but I did it..."
OK, time to reactivate Bureau 39. This "Superman" is not safe. He has decided he can play God with other people's minds.

When people do this with drugs we see it as a major crime.

That's the first time I did it, but it worked like a charm.
So he is messing with her mind not ever having done it and after only a few minutes he thinks it worked. He is an idiot and a criminal.

First as a practical matter it is way too soon to know if it worked. She may recover her memories in an hour a day or never but it is too soon for him to know.

Next lets discuss the ethics of experimenting on someone without their consent. When the Nazis experimented on people we tried them for Crimes against Humanity.

What happen to Clark's or Superman's higher standard?

They walked in his room. "Tell me - that must be something to do with the telepathy, right? You don't do that a lot, do you? That's just what you need. Something else to wear you out."
You have a female doctor who does not even QUESTION what he's done!!!!!!!!!!!

A Doctor!! I can see the average woman missing the imprecations but not a doctor. Well not one trained and educated in the USA.

I suggest when you post this to the archive you include a "WHAM" Warning.

From the way you have written this I don't think you see it but we are not talking little crimes, we are talking about major crimes.

This man is doing very evil things.

I know they did it at the end of Superman II, I didn't like it than either.

And frankly if they tried to use it in a Superman movie today everyone would at once be pointing out that Rohypnol does the same thing.

There would be huge fan debates about Lois consenting to sex while in her right mind and not consenting to Clark removing her memories.

At least in Superman II the setup is Clark doing it to HELP Lois. It is not done to protect himself, he does it to make it easier for her to move on. It still does not make it right.

But your Clark is much worse. First his threats of harm, than his mind rape.

This is NOT THE CLARK from Lois and Clark. This is a man doing, becoming evil.

If Lois was alive she'd never let him get away with this type of high handed action.

You should also consider doing a sequel where Mayson does regain her memories and Clark is brought to justice for his crimes.

And where is H.G. Wells? He should be dropping in sometime to fix the timeline, since Utopia can't be built on the shoulders of the evil Clark.

Framework4
#31781 08/19/06 07:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

"No! Let me just talk to you first. I imagine he will have to be told eventually," he paused as a look of unknowing came across his face, "if he doesn't already know. No," he thought aloud, "Clark would have told me." She walked into Clark's office and they all sat down.

"Marilyn, I don't know how you convinced me to do this, but... Well, if it can work for Clark. Okay, Hannah. I'm Batman."
He is so sweet. :rolleyes:

Get back here! hyper

mad How could you leave it there!

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#31782 08/19/06 01:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Remember when Jon told his dad the day before that he was going to have Martha make him a suit over the weekend? In my story, it's Friday. There has been a lot going on during the past two days of the story line. Would you like me to insert a timeline?

Jon will don a super suit soon. Like you said, Ann, Hannah isn't ready (for a supersuit anyway), but she won't be Robin. She is transferring to a college in Metropolis to be closer to Jon, and Batman isn't the best one to be teaching her anyway.

Actually, I'd already written this bit about "I'm Batman", but when you mentioned DJ's fic, I laughed and laughed (I don't think my stomach can take much more - round robin, you know). I was thinking more of the lines from the Batman movies when he says, "I'm Batman."

Actually the decision for Clark to actually take the knowledge from Mayson that he is Superman was not easy. Part of the reason I did that is to show how fortunate the public is that he is a good guy because he is a very powerful being that could rule the world with an iron fist if he so desired. That's also the reason I made Jenni so shocked to find out that Kryptonians could kill people with their heat vision. And since Siegel and Shuster decided to make him a good guy there's no need to reactivate Bureau 39. Did you know that originally Superman was a bad guy? Originally he was a bald Super Maniac more akin to the most insane Lex Luthor. Fortunately they rethought their idea and made him a nice guy.

Framework 4: He has done it before - with Bernie, just not with anything so important. I established earlier in the story that he can only do this immediately after the event happens. And it is in the Superman canon - both in Superman 2 and in the comics (as hypnotism). I also tried to relay how very difficult a decision this was for him and that he was doing it for the same reason no one knows Clark is Superman - to protect his loved ones.

Caitlyn was too worried about his physical health at the time to get upset about what he did. Maybe she doesn't really understand what he did, either? She's only known about the telepathy for less than 24 hours in the story and she doesn't really understand it. And remember this doctor is very much in love with this patient. Things in the medical world are not always so black and white, either. Doctors don't always do the right thing and they don't always know the answers.

I don't particularly intend for my Clark to be all LnC. As LabRat has mentioned several times, this forum does not have to stick with everything LnC. If it did, it would be hard to come up with anything really new. We would all be rewriting episodes over and over. I've incorporated aspects from other Superman media. Consider my Clark an alt-Clark, if you like. Also Clark is older now and more realizes that everything is not black and white, good or bad. There are many shades of gray, and he is willing to do what's necessary to protect his family. And this wouldn't be the first time in LnC or other Superman media where he did something that was questionably ethical. In LnC he breaks and enters all the time. He froze Lois when there was a good chance she wouldn't live - and he did it not once but twice.

I originally allowed Mayson to 'keep' the information, but I decided she couldn't be trusted. And in a way he was making things easier for her. Just think how she would have felt knowing that she was in love with a man who turned out to be the same man she really didn't care for at all. I saw her walking out of the house and driving directly to the nearest television station and suddenly revealing that she has it all on tape. I didn't want that to happen.

I don't see this the same as rohypnol at all. He very specifically made Mayson believe that she talked to Superman at Clark's house. He didn't do this for his pleasure. He could have insiduously implanted memories. He could have led her to believe that Clark just stood by and kissed Lois and didn't do a thing to save her life. But he didn't do anything insiduous. He could make the whole world think he is a god. Now that would be crimes against humanity.

I didn't see this as an evil Clark at all, but there will be repercussions for his actions. Remember this is Mayson Drake we are talking about here and I see the woman as being potentially very evil (at least towards Superman). Remember that in the show, she would have done almost anything to bring Superman down. And now he has seven kids and growing extended family to think about.

But you did make me think that maybe I would write a story about a very dark Superman who uses his powers to control the world. That could be quite a story. Just his visual powers alone could be scary - he has heat vision, telescopic, microsopic (down to the atomic level) that we all know about. According to wikipedia, in addition to that, he has infrared, ultraviolet, can see in the dark and can see the aura of every living being. No one could hide from him - anywhere. His superbreath has the ability to create a hurricane. He can run faster than The Flash and can move through walls at ease. He is beyond our ideas of a genius. He also has telekinetic abilities. Also in Superman Returns, he says he can hear *everything*. That's one heck of a powerful being. He could take over the world in a matter of days. He could destroy it if he so desired.

Maria: I didn't have to leave there, but I thought it was such a great teaser.

Thanks for everyone's comments. And Framework4, I do hope you come back and see what I do.

Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#31783 08/19/06 03:01 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
And sooner or later your Clark will take over the world for their own good.

Remember this is Mayson Drake we are talking about here and I see the woman as being potentially very evil (at least towards Superman).
Excuse me?

Remember that in the show, she would have done almost anything to bring Superman down.
Odd I think we were watching different programs. Mayson, so far as i saw never crossed the line or did anything to try and bring Superman down.
She disliked him and how lacking in accountability he was, being outside of all the normal checks and balences.

Anyways as your explain and justify his actions I strongly suggest you look at some of Stanton Samenow writings on criminal thinking errors.

Your Clark is doing evil.

I don't see this the same as rohypnol at all
Lets see your Clark invades and destroys her memories for his own selfish ends. The rapist invades and destroys the victom's memories for his own selfish ends.

And now he has seven kids and growing extended family to think about.
I see, since I have three children, all grown I would have been justified in attacking my ex-son in law when he was still my son in law in the name of protectng my daughter from him?

I could have drugged him and brainwashed him so that he would treat her better?

Wow what a concept

Framework4
#31784 08/19/06 05:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can see we see this very differently and nothing I can say will change that.

I don't see this the same at all:

Lets see your Clark invades and destroys her memories for his own selfish ends. The rapist invades and destroys the victom's memories for his own selfish ends.
Rohypnol does not invade and destroy memories. It does not alter memories. It keeps them from ever forming.

And as for this:

I see, since I have three children, all grown I would have been justified in attacking my ex-son in law when he was still my son in law in the name of protectng my daughter from him?

I could have drugged him and brainwashed him so that he would treat her better?

Wow what a concept
I don't know what your ex son-in-law did your daughter so I don't guess I can really comment on that. But I will say that if you think about Clark in this venue -- Your ex son-in-law had the potential to destroy your parents, the rest of your children, your husband, your extended family, any of your friends - even those that could be called that loosely, and everyone and everything you love or care about -- then you may see Clark's situation differently.

Like I said, my Clark doesn't have to meet your idea of Clark nor anyone else's concept of Clark.

Again, I thank you for reading my story.

#31785 08/19/06 08:04 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I can see we see this very differently and nothing I can say will change that.
Like I said, my Clark doesn't have to meet your idea of Clark nor anyone else's concept of Clark.
You are right. It is of course your story and you can make the characters act however you'd like.

I'll shut up.

Framework4
#31786 08/19/06 08:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Framework4. I was almost afraid to look at your post....

I do hope you'll like what happens. He's not going to be prosecuted, but there will be repercussions...

#31787 08/20/06 12:42 PM
kb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I’m no good at feedback, just thought I drop by and tell you that I like your story. smile1 .

#31788 08/20/06 01:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks kb!! I always enjoy seeing a new person leaving feedback! smile

#31789 08/26/06 05:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Where are you! cat

MAF

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#31790 08/26/06 07:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I haven't forgotten our heroes! I promise.

I've been editing the round robin, and the last part was a little tougher. It's nearly ready.
Then a short story, Defeated, just begged to be written. As soon as I post the last part of Strange Revelations, I'll edit the next part of A New Hero. I'm aiming for Monday, but I might get it in by late Sunday.

Thanks for reading my story!!

Nancy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard