Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
I'm very sorry for having disappeared for so long. I was traveling for business not long after posting the last part and have been working practically 'round the clock since then. I do really appreciate everyone who's continued to read this despite my erratic posting schedule. Thanks so much!

Rac

Top Banana
Top Banana
I haven't been around much but I always check in hoping to see another part of a familiar story. So glad you're still writing when you can. I look forward to each chapter.

Great part, I wondered when Talen would start to acknowledge those feelings blush )

Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Great to see you posting another section!!

I am thoroughly enjoying this. Now hurry up and get these two back together!! smile1

Jo

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
These days I don't have much time to post FDK, but I loved this chapter, Rac. The Lois parts, which I have always loved, were positively riveting this time. And I found myself fascinated and moved by the Clark and the Krypton parts as well.

The scene with Ultrawoman in the Oval Office was horrible frustrating. I don't intend to quote much, but I have to quote this:

“Ultrawoman, I know why this is important to you. It’s a worthy cause. But you don’t have 300 million bosses, expecting you to do the job you were hired for. I can’t get bogged down in every problem in every small third world country.”
Well, that's pretty much it, isn't it? The President of the United States has 300 million bosses, the people who made it possible for him to become the President of the United States in the first place, and most of these people didn't vote for him because they wanted him to save helpless people in a third world country from being murdered wholesale. They wanted him to make things better for them in the States. And this is certainly not only an American problem, because it's the same in every Western democracy. The voters generally want their President or Prime Minister to take care of the problems at home first. So who speaks for the victims in Darfur or Kinwara?

I loved the kids who had read Lois's articles and wanted her to speak at their rally. Today is not like the happy sixties, because the world seems so much darker these days. It's hard to know what some college kids' rally can do to change the world today. On the other hand, if no one wants to fight for what they believe in, and for the welfare of others, what would be left to hope for?

I loved Clark's tortured need to talk about his horrible experiences with Talan. And I loved Clark's deep and true, somehow innocent love for Lois, which made him blind to Talan's erotic beauty:

Any other man would have noticed the commander’s striking presence. Her sparring uniform left her arms bare. Her long, slender limbs were perfectly toned, her body balanced between strength and grace. Her every movement was blend of elegance and power. Any other man would have noticed. But not Clark.
I loved it that Clark cried when Talan returned Lois's ring to him:
But here, he’d wept in relief for the first time in his life, when Talan had returned Lois’s wedding ring to him. Losing it had crushed him. How could he be anything but a failure as a man and a husband? He’d promised her he would keep it safe – as safe as his love for her. And he’d failed. So when the ring was returned to him, he couldn’t even try to contain his relief.
And I loved it that Clark couldn't help squeezing Talan's hand in his overwhelming gratitude:
He’d reached for his friend’s hand and she held on as tightly as he did, but he knew that she guarded and controlled her emotions tightly. Back then, he’d had no real choice – he’d been so overwhelmed that he could no more have controlled his reactions than he could have turned back time.
Again, the innocence and honesty of his emotions are so beautiful.

And I love this, how it really helps Clark to describe his horrible ordeal to Talan:
When it was over, he suddenly felt like he was able to take a deep breath for the first time in months. It wasn’t much, but it was more than he’d been expecting.
On the other hand, Talan herself has a horrible, horrible nightmare after listening to Clark's confession. I was very, very moved by this as well.

And I loved it how Lois managed to make some people come out in support of Kinwara. First it was the college kids, then it was a Canadian diplomat and apparently the Canadian government.

The description of the horror of the attacks in Kinwara was breathless and harrowing. Lois was frantically trying to help, and she was helping, too. But will it ever be enough?

I can feel a wonderful good will shining out of this story. It's the story of people who want to help others and who face down horror all the time in their attempts to do good. There is such a realistic feeling to the horrors here, too: this is not comic book or LNC episode scary fun. It is true, true horror. And against such a backdrop, the true good will of truly good people shines that much more beautifully.

There are no clichés in your story. You don't tell us that Clark and Lois - and others, such as Talan - are good people. You show us that they are, and it is so beautiful.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Rac, I'm so very glad you're back with more of this story! I really like how the POV switches between Clark on New Krypton and Lois on Earth. It's interesting to me that even though they haven't forgotten each other, nor have they forgotten how much they love each other, it's obvious that they are drifting apart and going in different directions. Of course, given the circumstances, there's no way that wouldn't happen, no matter who the couple was or the reason for the separation. Military couples face similar difficulties when they are reunited after a long time apart.

Lois seems to be facing the temptation of doling out justice on her own. Clark's, apparently, will be another woman (one he hasn't sought out) who is strong, competent, in control of herself, and has value in and of herself.

I hope your schedule allows you to keep working on this one. It's an excellent story and you're handling it well, despite the length of time between posts. I know I'm looking for the next chapter.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
So pleased to see this installemnt, Rac. smile

This has been such an intense story - and here again we see Lois striving to do the best she can as she faces enormous challenges. I liked how you've woven incidents that parallel RL issues into her story. In her own way, Lois has become a warrior like Talan.

And Clark enduring, holding his love for Lois and striving too to overcome the horror he's experienced. He's the other side of those incidents that Lois is fighting.

Talan is an extraordinary character - compassionate and yet fighting her own demons.

Talan stepped under the cold stream of water and closed her eyes. She’d dreamt of killing because someone she cared about had been killed. What frightened her most was that she did not know whether the feelings and reactions were limited to dreams.
So will Talon act on her dreams? Will she kill?

I didn't get the the idea at all, as Terry did, that Lois and Clark are drifting apart and that Clark is tempted by another woman. I do hope that's not where you're going with this story.

The writing - as always so strong. The use of small detail that gives us such a strong sense of place.
She swooped low as she approached, snapping branches as she cut through the thicket of trees and heavy brush.
& this description of Clark :
Even though they weren’t real, describing the nightmares was the hardest. They hollowed him out, leaving him empty and broken.
Time to get Lois and Clark back togther. smile

c.

R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for your comments everyone.

Liz, thanks for taking the time to read and comment even though you're busy. I do really appreciate it. Talan is a fun character to write - control freaks are generally interesting when you put them in situations they can't control.

Hi Jo. I'm really trying to get in some writing when I have the time (which sadly is almost never), but I am working on it, I promise!

Hi Ann, thanks so much for your comments. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed this part. I'm obviously cribbing very heavily from real life events in this story and hoping to show that even when the ethics of a situation are as black and white as they are in places like Darfur, designing a response still isn't easy, but it is a fight worth fighting. On that note, if anyone's going to be in the NYC area on Sept. 17, please come to the Save Darfur Rally.

Hi Maria. I will post more as soon as I can, I promise. As for why Clark turns to Talan instead of Zara, I think it's because he thinks that only someone who has seen a lot of intense combat could understand what he's going through. This is apparently a pretty common sentiment among veterans - that only other vets can really understand what they experienced.

Terry, thanks for your comments. I agree that circumstances are forcing Lois and Clark to take very different paths and that picking up where they left off will be very difficult as a result. As for the challenges they face, I think they're both going to have to deal with mental and emotional trials that are all the more difficult because they're apart.

Carol, thanks for commenting. As you can tell, I'm also keen on placing my secondary (and even tertiary!) characters in emotionally trying situations. Like Lois and Clark, Talan will face situations that will make her question who she is and what she believes. As for whether I'm trying to set up a 'last temptation of Clark,' I am going to beg the board's indulgence and ask that you all trust I am trying to stay true to the characters.

Thanks again for your comments everyone, and thanks for sticking with this story despite the long delays between posts.

Top Banana
Top Banana
As for whether I'm trying to set up a 'last temptation of Clark,' I am going to beg the board's indulgence and ask that you all trust I am trying to stay true to the characters.
lol - I hope so, but not sure what that means, Rac laugh So am fearing the worst, especially given your other comments. I've been very interested in Talan's characer but... confused

On a different and way more important note - hope that rally for Darfur gets the media coverage it warrants. What's happened there is horrific, a nightmare from hell.

c.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard