Print Thread
#31244 07/31/06 09:11 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This new chapter is fascinating as always, and it is a beautiful continuation of what is, as LabRat has pointed out, one of the most original and moving alt-versions of Lois and Clark ever.

For all of that, I need to begin with my gripe. All over the world, young people in love are ripped apart because of all kinds of stupid principles. This boy and girl can't have each other because their parents are related; this other boy and girl can't have each other because their parents are *not* related; this boy and girl can't have each other because their skin colors are different, or because their religions are different, or because there was an ill wind blowing the day they met, or because of a thousand other reasons. I find it all so cruel. So unnecessary.

And when Clark is prepared to leave Lois, to move from Metropolis solely to *get away* from her, I feel upset. Clark is honoring his belief in the taboo against incest more than he is honoring his love for Lois. Actually it is worse than that. Clark doesn't *know* that he and Lois are brother and sister. It's equally possible that they are cousins, or that they belong to the same large clan and are quite distantly related. Or maybe a lot of Kryptonian parents tried to send their babies to the Earth, and maybe all the little ones were dressed in blue, red and yellow, and maybe all of them wore the same 'S' crest. Or maybe Lois and Clark were similarly dressed because they had indeed been joined in birth marriage.

I'm upset that Clark would be willing to consciously avoid Lois simply because she *might* be his sister. I'm sorry that he would keep wondering if his attraction to her is "tainted" because there is a possibility that they are siblings. I'm sad that his fear of *possible* incest would be stronger than his love for Lois. I'm disappointed that he would prefer the certainty of losing Lois over the possibility of disobeying a rule which has been interpretated quite differently in different times and different cultures.

I loved the fact that Clark had the globe, and that it had "spoken" to him. And I felt as thrilled as Lois - maybe more so - when Clark showed it to her. And I was at least as disappointed as she was when it didn't speak to her.

I really liked the fact that Clark showed Lois his apartment, and that they flew together. I loved it when he explained to her how he had been able to renovate his place and make it look spick and span, even though she wouldn't be able to do the same thing to her apartment. And I loved this:
He smiled at her. “Lois – I had an advantage. I had two parents who knew all about my abilities, and encouraged me and helped me explore them. From what you’ve told me, you had only yourself. Without a mentor or really, any guidance, it’s far more impressive what you’ve done so far with your life.”
That was so beautiful. It was quite true, too.

And I loved this, when Clark explained how he saw Lois's Mama in her:
“You never really lost her completely, you know,” he continued. “Because she’s always been in your heart. And… she passed her loving heart on to you, Lois. Her strength and courage – and love – live on in you. I know she would be proud of what you’ve accomplished.”
And this is just incredibly moving:
“I know what I see, Lois. You wear Mad Dog Lane like armor, and you fight dragons. But underneath all that? I see a beautiful and courageous young woman who has fought dragons in the form of corruption and dishonesty, greed and evil, so well that she is at the top of her profession. And I see – although you keep it well-hidden – how much you care. You may not think you have a soft heart; you may not think you know how to love, or that you’re worthy of love. But you do, and you are.”

Except for the part about being at the top of her profession, he was describing Mama. She had to swallow hard around the lump in her throat. He saw all that in her? She had to… she wasn’t going to cry again. She’d done enough of that.
This is where I almost wanted to cry, too, Janet.

I'm very glad that Lois is going to meet Martha and Jonathan. They could be so very supportive of her, and she needs that so very much.

I'm also wondering about Lois's globe. Shouldn't she have one? If so, where is it? And what would happen if her and Clark's globes were brought together?

As always, I'm very much looking forward to the rest of this. Meanwhile, though, I hope you'll have a good time hiking in the majestic mountains of Colorado!

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
I was expecting the globe react to Lois.... smile

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm disappointed that he would prefer the certainty of losing Lois over the possibility of disobeying a rule which has been interpretated quite differently in different times and different cultures.
It may well have been. But the fact is that Clark and Lois live in a culture which does consider an incestuous relationship between brother and sister one of the great taboos and so it doesn't surprise me at all that if they were to be sister and brother that that would effectively kill any hope of them having anything other than a sibling relationship.

Given who Clark is, the culture he lives in, the way he's been brought up etc, I can't see him reacting any way but the way he does here and I don't see that reaction as denoting that he cares any the less for Lois. Quite the opposite, given how devastated he is - how devastated they both are - by the dreadful possibility that they may be so closely related.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that if he'd reacted any other way, if he and Lois were to find definite proof that they were siblings and said, to hang with it, let's get married anyway, I'd find that completely OOC for the characters. I just could never see them responding that way to such a revelation.

So it's probably fortunate that I'm pinning my hopes on Janet not being so cruel and giving us a happy ending. <G>

Right, Janet? Huh? Yeah, yeah, I know...RAFO! laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper hyper

Please come with me tomorrow. My parents know how I feel about you, and they really do want to meet you.”
:rolleyes: Is not a tune to Lois.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, Janet. I still feel frustrated that Clark would basically avoid Lois just because the two of them *might* be siblings. (Perhaps we all should be really careful? What do we know about our parents, after all? How does any of us know that the love of our lives is not our half-sister or half-brother, the result of our mother's or father's extramarital affair?)

But I *love* your story, Janet. And I promise I won't go on about Clark's (to me) exaggerated fear of incest. I've been completely fascinated by your story from the beginning, and I'm so anxious to see the rest of it. Whatever you do, don't ever think I was trashing your story when I was voicing my disapproval of Clark's reaction. And LabRat is probably right. Clark's behaviour is probably very much in character for him.

I keep thinking about the fact that Lois hasn't got a globe, and that Clark's globe hasn't said very much to him. There is something missing here. How about Lois's interlocking chains? Can they give Clark and Lois the answer they seek?

Ann

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
That was amazing! laugh I'm not sure how I missed seeing this story so long, but it's great. I love Lois's point of view, and I was so happy she fell in love with Clark early on- I love when that happens. The relevations- that Clark was superman and Lois was super were great. I can't wait to see how (and what) they find out about their Kryptonian origins. Is Lois's ship still in the dump, destroyed, or has someone (like Lex) found it? This is so interesting. thumbsup I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
Columnist
Columnist
I'm just now catching up to this story, and what a story it is! What an interesting concept. Both Lois and Clark are super. I look forward to reading more. You are doing a fantastic job!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
Can't the globe tell them if they're related or not??? smile

Oh well, just an idea. laugh So far it doesn't even seem to recognize Lois. frown

Great story, I'm looking forward to more.

~Julia wave

Top Banana
Top Banana
Another great part!!
I'm sorry I have not time to give proper feedback right now, but I'm eagerly waiting for the next post!

simona smile

C
Blogger
Blogger
C
I just moved and don't have access to the internet at my home yet, i just wanted to say that whenever i can get to the library i'll be following your story. I can't wait for the rest.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thank you all for your continued interest and your comments. It does make it easier to keep writing this. I've just recently gotten past another smallish hump in the storyline, so hopefully you'll get to see the next few parts more often than just once a week...

TOC, I have to agree with LabRat on the whole no-relationship-if-they-are-siblings thing. Incest is, in most cultures, as LabRat says, one of the greatest taboos. It is a taboo in Lois and Clark's culture. And Clark, the character, and Lois, too, could not get past that sort of thing. I feel strongly that they would react exactly as they have.

Now... how do I continue to treat this? Are we on our way to some serious angst?? Well, as LabRat says, you'll all need to RAFO (read and find out). smile

But no, TOC, I didn't take any offense at your comments. You've been a very supportive commenter and I have really appreciated that.
I keep thinking about the fact that Lois hasn't got a globe
Well, you know, Mama stuffed that ship in a bag and dragged it off to the dump, what? Twenty five years ago? Was it found? Is it under twenty five years' worth of garbage? Either way, she apparently didn't realize the globe was detachable. If there was one. goofy

Maria asks:
Don't they use a swab today instead of blood?
Well, yes - but it was only just a developing technology when our Lois and Clark universe was created, in the early-to-mid 1990s. And actually, your comment sparked an idea that I added to a future section - I think it's either this section I'm just ready to post (16) or the next one. Anyway, I'm crediting it to you. smile

So... on to part 16...

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard