Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30802 07/07/06 07:52 AM
LaurieD Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
I really love this story. Jenni puts a perfect amount of detail to make the people in this story come alive.

LaurieD

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Since the discussion about the previous chapter touched on the subject of Lois and Clark's lovemaking, I really must quote this:

"You know, we probably can't sleep because you aren't in the right place...."

She looked up at Clark from beneath lowered lashes and he thought she'd never appeared more beautiful. "Lois, where is my right place?" he whispered.

"With me," she answered simply, her voice just as quiet.
That is lovely, and this is just as good:

"There's no rush, Clark. We have all the time in the world."

She was still smiling as she opened the door to their room and drew him inside and to the bed. Together they sank down onto its cool, clean surface and soon were resting close together with their arms entangled. They were at peace and, at last, sleep came to claim them.
Lois and Clark are not making love here, just sleeping in each other's arms. The way Jenni describes it, I can just feel how warm, safe and right it feels. Which is why the next paragraph is heartbreaking:
A few nights later, Clark turned in his narrow bed one more time, stifling a groan and dragging the covers over his head to blot out the murky light of dawn which seeped through the window. He felt utterly worn out and yet, it was so difficult to sleep alone... without Lois.
No sooner have Lois and Clark been reunited so that they can sleep in each other's arms than they have to be separated again, because Clark is in hospital.

This summarizes so much of this chapter: there are wonderful, warm little victories, and long, slow, painful - failures? No, not failures, but times when the road seems so long and the world is dark.

Clark is a deeply, deeply hurt and damaged man. The road to recovery is so long. But he can make it, because of his own determination and faith and because of the love and support of his immediate and extended family. Superman, of course, can't return, but that has really been obvious for so long. There is a new Superman, Jor-El, and the "old" Superman must concentrate on learning how to be Clark Kent again.

I support the decision not to say anything about North Korea that would risk Teo's life. I can see that there are so many aspects to consider here, but to me you just can't ignore the fact that Clark would never have survived without Teo's help. Should Clark put Teo and Teo's family at risk in return?

More than anything this chapter leaves me with the feeling how hard it is to walk the road of recovery, how much courage it takes, and how much love you need from your family.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow I am just catching up on this story again. This is so sad but at least it is hopeful. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hello, I´m back from my vacation! I was reading this chapter and then... drool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Jenni, there's such a depth of emotion in this part.

[QUOTE] He gave their joined hands a tiny shake and laughed ruefully. "My body feels like it's in the right place... here with you. It's just my memory that won't play ball."

I love this bit because it hits on an eternal truth - that subconscious awareness of the "other" that comes with love, that instinct that lets Clark know where he belongs in spite of the darkness.

Although this story is set almost two decades in the future, it still has the feel of "Lois and Clark". Both characters have evolved (quite a lot!), and yet each is still so important to the other.

c.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard