Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30718 06/30/06 08:31 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

I hope this is what you've been waiting for... and that you think it was worth the wait.

Please, your comments would be very welcome. I'm hoping I haven't lost too many readers by being tardy.

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I've been peeking at this when I've had a few minutes. I still want to see "our" Clark back. Can I help it if I'm a sucker for happy endings?
smile

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Clark teasing Lois is a good thing. Now they must make wild, crazy love all night long(in a pg manner of course).

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I must start by commenting a little on what Nan and SJH said. Unlike Nan, I think you must accept that Clark can't go back to what he was before. The "old" Clark can't return. But the fundamental truths about him still apply, such as the fact that Clark is a wonderful, sweet, caring man. He is also a tortured and damaged man, but even so, he and Lois and their children can build a new relationship on the foundation of his inner core of kindness and love. This conversation between Clark and his oldest daughter Sara is completely wonderful:
“I'm very happy to be home, Sara... but, I'm sorry.....”

“You don't remember. I know. I've been told.” Sara finished for him. “But it doesn't matter. We can make new memories.”

How had he missed the fact that Sara's eyes were also full of kindness and understanding? “Yes, I'd think I'd like that,” he said, deciding that Sara had her mother's eyes.
And this conversation between Clark and Lois is wonderful:
"Lois?"

She swung towards the sound of his voice, and displayed ingenuously to him the tears that coursed ceaselessly down her cheeks.

"Oh, Lois," he whispered, shaking his head sadly.

Neither knew who took the first step, but, instantly, they were locked in each other's embrace, sharing their tears and their turbulent emotions, and so they remained, until the shrill screech of the kettle broke the spell.

Lois stood back and gave him a teary smile, as she swiped at her damp face with her hands. "Would you look at me, bubbling like a brook. You'll be wishing I never talked you into coming home...."

"No, I never would wish that," Clark reassured her, feeling a twinge of regret that Lois had stepped out of his arms. It seemed his body recognized Lois, if his mind did not. "And, you didn't talk me into coming home. I made that decision myself.... OK, with a little prompting from Mac and Marje, but they just reminded me I was being an eejet!"
This is even better:
His hand came up to cup her cheek, and he tenderly traced the faint lines that the years had etched around her eyes. "I think it will be my greatest pleasure to learn to know you all over again."

Clark's gaze was hypnotic and Lois whispered, almost afraid that sound would destroy this moment of shared wonder. "To fall in love with me all over again?"

"No."

At Lois' wide-opened stare of shock, Clark couldn't help but give a tiny teasing grin. But his face quickly stilled into earnestness.

"It's too late for that. I'm already hopelessly in love with you... all over again.
There is so much love in this story. It's the kind of love that endures, the kind of love that suffers, like the kind of love that Paul speaks about in 1 Corinthians, chapter 13. The kind of love that is patient, the kind of love that is kind.... It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Like SJH, I certainly love to see Lois and Clark make love. But I think this story is too serious for quick fixes. I somehow don't believe that this Lois and this Clark can just go to bed together and reach a glorious peak of pleasure. I think that this, too, will be a slow process of healing.

So instead of looking forward to bedroom scenes, I marvel at your ability to show us deep, heartfelt emotion. This is wonderful:
But Lois' mind was distracted when Martha took a few steps into the room and the lighting revealed her face... pale, drawn... yet awestruck, her gaze totally transfixed on her son.

Martha's hand went to her mouth, muffling the words she repeated over and over, reverently, like a prayer. “My boy... my boy!”
The rest of this "one-sided reunion" is equally moving:
It was Jonathan who brought Martha to Clark's side and who spoke first. “Matt here tells us you've lost your memory, Clark, but you'll always be our son. Nothing can ever change that fact... and we want you to know how proud we are of you... and how good it is... so good it is to see you again. Welcome home, son.” Clearly, Jonathan had run out of steam and he could only stand and stare, his big chest heaving emotionally.

But Jonathan's silence freed Martha from her trance and she raised her hands to grip Clark's arms, almost as if she were checking to make sure he wasn't a mirage. “Oh, Clark, you've made us happier than we ever dreamed possible... you always did. I know we might be strangers to you, but I'd really like to give you a hug... if it wouldn't upset you?”

The ache in his head was easing under this gentle woman's gaze. He couldn't exactly say he recognized her, but as with Lois, he felt a connection....
And this is so beautifully poignant:
“I think I'd like that too,” Clark ventured, and that was the only encouragement Martha needed.

Leaning up, she stretched her arms around Clark's neck and buried her head against his chest. Within seconds, she felt Jonathan's big arms wrap themselves around both herself and Clark. Her body shook with the force of her sobs, yet her heart sang with elation. This was her son's homecoming... this was the best day of her life.
And Clark's reunion with his youngest daughter is wonderful in a completely different way:
Are you my fa...” but for a budding investigative journalist that was perhaps giving too much away. Uncle Perry had told her to always keep the subject 'all shook up', whatever that meant. Uncle Perry was always quoting Elvis when he wanted to make a point... so she decided to be direct. “Are you Clark Kent?” she asked, folding her arms and staring belligerently up into the stranger's face. He looked tired, but she thought she caught a twinkle in his eyes.
The matter-of-fact-ness of Victoria's question, the complete seriousness of an eight-year-old.... Jenni, I love it. And Clark responds to her seriousness:
“I wish I knew the answer to your question, Victoria. I think I might be, but I honestly can't be sure.” Clark felt a stab of dismay as he saw his daughter's face fall. “I wish I could tell you more about myself.” He ended forlornly.
I might have forgotten your name... all of your names.” Clark let his gaze shift over the rest of his family before coming back to rest on Vicky. “But they couldn't make me forget how to love... and I think... no, I know that when I look at you, I love you very, very much.” His voice was full of awe as he raised his hand towards Vicky's face, but didn't allow it to touch her... not yet. “Do you know what I would like a whole lot?”

Vicky shook her head, her bottom lip trembling.

“I'd like a hug from you. I'd like that more than anything in the world. Do you think you could find one for this stupid lunkhead who's forgotten all the most precious people in his life?”
All the members of the Kent family held their breath as they waited for Vicky's reaction. They understood how a rejection would slay Clark to his very soul. Yet they needn't have worried. Vicky was Lois to a tee... with a fiery exterior, but with the bravest, most loyal heart of any of the family.

“I think I could do that,” she said slowly as her arms rose to lie on his shoulders and she stepped into his open arms.
I love the breathless waiting here, and how Victoria comes through for Clark, giving him the answer he needs. Because Clark's love is there in his children, too. And this is wonderful:
So he'd forgotten his special pet-name for her... along with all the other things... but it was just a name. The closer she'd got to his face the more she'd recognized him. There was that little mole just above his lip.... Sara had one just like it. And when he'd asked for a hug, his eyebrows had quirked the way they always had.

Yes, this was definitely her daddy. He stood and hoisted her high, laughing up into her face.... She'd been wrong; he was still strong enough and, once again, she felt she was flying.
It's so beautiful, Jenni. Thank you so much.

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

I agree with Ann when she says that the "old" (or "classic") Clark Kent is gone forever. The experiences and abilities that shaped his personality are damaged and lost, some of them irrepairably, and he'll never be the person he once was. Nor can he be the person he would have been had all this bad stuff not happened to him.

But that doesn't mean he can't be Clark Kent, husband to Lois Lane, father to his children, son to his parents. He's home. His kids understand (at least partly) that he's only partly back, and that he may never come back all the way. But they're all willing to build new memories with him, even Tory. And that points to a positive ending.

Of course, we still don't know what will happen when the Kryptonite comes out. He might regain some of his powers, some of his memories, but he might not. This very compelling story isn't finished, not by a long shot. Keep up the excellent work!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Ture, there are no quick fixes when it comes to our beloved duo and there is no guarantee that physical intimacy will incline or expedite emotional healing. However: ..."physical love is a language all its own,completely different from any spoken language....Lois and Clark, who are such masters at showing each other physical love, don't do so well exchanging words." Yet.."they are so blessfully happy when they communicate wordlessy." Communication is the beginning of recovery. ( I know Ann, I cheated.)

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Eh... were you by any chance quoting me, SJH? If I have indeed said those things, I sure stand by every word! wink

I'm just saying.... I completely trust Jenni here. I want her to tell her story. If she wants to show us how Clark and Lois heal by making love (describing it in a PG way, of course), I don't have to tell you that I'll be very, very happy about it. wink But if that is not what Jenni has in mind, I'll be completely happy about that, too, as long as there is a reasonably happy ending to this story! This is a story in progress where I don't want to suggest to the author where she should take us. This is a story where I just want to be taken along for the ride, even though I'm not above pointing out the things I think Jenni has already shown us.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Jenni, I think you played out the reunion with his family very well indeed. All the way through, there was an undercurrent of anxiety that any of these reunions might trigger one of those terrible headaches, which lent an amazing fragility to each encounter. I personally thought that Lois was being rather unwise and perhaps a bit selfish in forcing Clark to meet all the family just after he'd returned home - in itself, a difficult and exhausting experience for him. I imagined a fairly catastrophic consequence as a result, but you persuaded me that he was able to cope and that the family understood how careful they needed to be with him. I also thought you got Vicky's reaction exactly right. thumbsup

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Question:

Was Clark wearing glasses? confused

MAF blush

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hi,

Thanks, Maria. I was so busy working out all the other details, I'd forgotten that one. wink

Look out for chapter 19 soon. smile

Yours Jenni

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard