Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30528 06/19/06 09:24 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Tears began rolling freely down his face. He sat up, scooting over next to her and lifted her body up into his arms. She was so beautiful, even now.
If Lois had remained dead in this story, I could never have allowed myself to appreciate this scene in any way. I would have been too busy defending myself from it. But as it is, I can be almost swept away by the beauty of the fact that Clar's picking up Lois and holding her even though she's dead. Dammit, DJ, even though I know she's coming back, I can still feel my eyes tearing up, and I feel almost - almost devastated.

It's not just death-of-Lois stories that I can't stand - I'm having a very hard time standing the gloating of criminals. So I found it hard to concentrate on this, but it did indeed provide an explanation:

“Me? This is your fault. You shouldn’t have found her, Clark. If you had just left well enough alone, she’d still be alive. It’s your fault she’s dead. I’ve been living here, in this time, for the past few years. I really like the decadence of this particular era, but I also stayed to keep an eye on things. When I noticed that Superman had shown up in New York for no apparent reason – you know they plaster stuff like that on every local television station there is - I took a quick trip back into the future and found Utopia alive and well. I knew then that you had found a way to remember her, and you had found each other - again. Ugh! So you left me with no choice but to remove her from the picture entirely.
And then Clark apparently built the time machine, but dense slobs like me needed to read through this passage twice to understand that the time machine construction had actually taken place:

he knew what he had to do now. The decision had been made for him. There was no other choice. With that knowledge, his pain began to ease and he flew back to Metropolis.

If only he’d just built the time machine sooner and taken them both back, fixed their past; this would never have happened. Lois would still be here with him now. He needed her. Clark knew he couldn’t live without her, didn’t want to live without her...and he didn’t have to.
But before Clark starts rectifying the time line, he asked to see Mayson:

“I asked you here so I could see you one last time; apologize to you before I leave.”

He knew he was doing this more for himself than for her. She wouldn’t know what he had done, but he would have to live with this decision. He needed to see her one last time.
I like it that he asked her to come and see him. Even if he did it more for himself than for her, I still think it was the right thing to do.

He explains things delicately to her, too:

“Leave? Where are you going?”

“It doesn’t matter. What matters is that Superman has something to do, something that has to be done, and I won’t be coming back after I leave.”
Mayson turned away from him, her eyes tearing up. “How can you do this to me? How can you propose to me one day, and then a few days later tell me that you are leaving and never coming back? Clark, I love you. I’ve come to terms with the other half of your life - Superman. Please, don’t let him take you away from me.”

It would have been easier if she had been mad at him. She had the right to be mad. This, her pleading with him not to go, this was almost unbearable. “I’m sorry, Mayson. I really am. But this is something that I have to do.”
I really like Mayson here. I can never root for her, because she was an obstacle to Lois and Clark being together, but she was never a bad person in any way. In this passage, I admire Mayson for not being angry at Clark.

And this is heartbreaking:

“I hope whatever it is, it’s worth it.”

It was. Clark knew it was, but that didn’t make this any easier for him. “Me too,” he told her softly.
And this is almost unbearable:

He wrapped her in his arms, holding her one last time. He knew that he was trading one life for another, but Lois wasn’t supposed to die. It had been Mayson who died in an explosion, not Lois.
At least neither Lois nor Mayson will be burdened by the knowledge of the horrible choice Clark had to make:
She wouldn’t know, he told himself. Neither Lois nor Mayson would know. They wouldn’t know what had happened, what he had done. But this wasn’t actually something *he* was doing. He was only correcting something that Tempus had done. He kept telling himself that, over and over. It was the only way he could face what he had to do.
Like Hamlet, or Hamlet's father, would have said: O, horrible! O, horrible! most horrible!

“I know that I haven’t always been honest with you, but please know that I love you; and that this hurts me more than you’ll ever know,” he told her softly.
I'm glad he told her that he loved her. Thank you.

She wrapped her arms around him tighter, not wanting to let him go.

“Goodbye, Mayson,” he said, pulling away from her. He kissed her gently on the cheek and then stepped away from her, spinning into his suit. He smiled sadly at her and flew out the open door behind her.

“I love you,” he heard her whisper softly. Then he was gone, shooting up through the clouds.
Poor, poor Mayson. What a lousy card the fates had dealt her. And poor, poor Clark. Speaking about lousy, he would have to feel like a louse, or worse. But he had to do it. And DJ, you wrote this scene beautifully.

Then Clark finds Tempus in Ellen Lane's house, apparently drinking a cup of tea. Think, Clark. Why would Tempus be sitting there? He must be waiting for you. Why would he be waiting for you? Because he wants you to capture him? He wants to be punished? He wants to go back to prison? Eh... don't you think there's another possibility, Clark? How about he's set a trap for you?

But no, Clark doesn't think that far. He walks blithely into Ellen Lane's house to confront Tempus. Interestingly, in Caroline's recent story, If I Were You, Clark blundered with similar naïveté into Luthor's lair, never worrying about the possibility that Luthor had asked him to come there because he had arranged a trap for his arch-nemesis.

Thank goodness, though, H.G. Wells has survived, and he comes to Clark's rescue.

I'll leave it to others to comment on the details of Tempus' escape from prison and H.G. Wells' time window. But I did think it was strange that Clark couldn't save Lois from the explosion that killed her. Here's why:

“The one thing I don’t understand is why I couldn’t save her? I can fly around the world in a matter of minutes, why couldn’t I move fast enough to save Lois from that explosion? It’s like something...I don’t know, almost like something prevented me.”

Wells was nodding his head. “The curse.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your memories should be coming back, now that we’ve successfully stopped Tempus. Remember your wedding night, Clark? I came to your apartment to stop you from, uh, well...” Wells broke off, blushing.
That curse! I'm sure I hate it even more than Clark and Lois do! That curse will never make it into a story of mine, if I ever manage to write another one!

“So when Lois and I...” Clark broke off, realizing what had happened. “By finding her and reuniting with her, I condemned her to death.” His knees buckled and he sat down hard on the ground. It had been his fault.

“Don’t beat yourself up about it, my boy. There was nothing you could have done. How could you have known? You couldn’t. And now it’s all behind you. We’ll take you back to your own time and it will be as if nothing ever happened.”
Poor Clark! Not only does he have to feel guilty of condemning Mayson to death, now he has to feel guilty of having brought about the death of Lois!

“Will it? Will I remember this?” Clark felt like he had already begun to forget some of it. It seemed foggy, not real.
He's already forgetting! Well, good thing. Some things are definitely best forgotten.

“There is always a past, and always a future, but there is also always a *present*. One spot in time that is the reality of the universe. This is the time that you came from. True, Tempus went back in the past and changed things, but from your *present* mind’s perspective you went to sleep one night and woke up the next morning with different memories, everything had suddenly changed. I have a feeling that because of the strong connection that you and Miss Lane share, your minds simply rebelled.”
I'm not absolutely sure I, the space buff and to a lesser extent, the science buff, am buying what you are saying about there being a sort of absolute *present* in the universe. ("Give me a fixed point and I shall move the universe", is what Albert Einstein is supposed to have said.) On the other hand, I love the idea that Clark and Lois's minds rebelled when Tempus tried to take away their memories of their married life together!

Wells began to walk back towards the time machine. Clark looked at the time machine. Something was nagging at the back of his mind. It seemed important. Hadn’t there been something he’d wanted to ask Mr. Wells? Clark closed his eyes, trying to concentrate. He was sure there had been something he wanted to do, but it just wasn’t coming to him. So many memories were changing or slipping away...like a dream that he was quickly forgetting.
Clark is forgetting that he is about to redirect the time stream to a path where Mayson will be dead. I'm very glad that he's forgetting. Clark is such a truly good man that he shouldn't have to live with the burden of Mayson's death on his conscience.

Lois was standing there in a doorway just out of Clark’s reach. “Goodbye, Clark,” she said. Goodbye? What? Where was she going? “I love you,” she said through tears. Clark started towards her and then, suddenly, the room began to stretch in an unearthly manner. As the room continued stretching, Lois was being pulled away from him.
Oohh! The room is stretching! I love the weirdness!

What was happening? Clark started running towards her, his arm extended, trying desperately to reach her. He began running faster and faster until finally he was flying, but still he wasn’t any closer.
Clark was running faster and faster, but he wasn't any closer... I know what this is. It's a nightmare, right?

Lois, no! He reached even harder, and she reached out for him, too. For one brief, hopeful moment their fingertips almost touched; if he stretched just a little more maybe he could grab hold of her hand.
Ah! That image from whatever episode it was where Clark and Lois's hands are reaching for each other!

But then a figure appeared in the shadows behind Lois and grabbed her, wrenching her away from Clark’s grasp. Lois, no! Lois! The figure pulled her away from him through the doorway into weird shimmering, swirling air. Clark continued to struggle, trying to get to the doorway; but, before he could reach it, the door slammed shut. She was gone.
Oh no, what a nightmare! What a horrible nightmare! It was almost the same nightmare that Clark had in the opening paragraphs of this story, wasn't it?

But that opening nightmare was more than just a nightmare. It was Tempus, taking Lois away from Clark for real. This dream, on the other hand, is clearly subtly different. Perhaps this is just a dream?

He shook off the cold chill that had settled on him and reached over in bed to wrap his arms around Lois. But she wasn’t beside him. He immediately sat up feeling around for her, scanning the room for her. She wasn’t there.
NOOOO!!!!! She isn't there? She's really gone?

“Lois!” he shouted.

No answer. God no, he thought, what had happened?

“Lois!” he tried again. He headed for the doorway on a dead run to go look for her and almost knocked her down as she came walking into the room.

“Oh! Clark! You scared me. What’s wrong? I’m right here, stop yelling; you’re going to wake the neighbors.” Lois told him.
Oh god, thank god, she's back! She's alive and well and she's back! And they are back together!

Clark relaxed. What *was* wrong? Well, he’d had a nightmare, but he just had the nagging feeling that it was more than that. Like he’d come close to losing her, somehow. It all felt like a bad dream, and he didn’t want to think about it anymore. She was here, and she was safe; and that was all that mattered.
Yes, Clark, this time it really was just a nightmare.

“It was nothing, honey, just a bad dream. I’m sorry I scared you,” he said, pulling her into a close embrace and kissing her deeply.

“Mmm, didn’t get enough earlier, huh? On second thought maybe we shouldn’t worry about waking the neighbors,” she said, giggling, searching for his mouth again with hers.

Clark couldn’t have agreed with anything more.
Me either, so get kissing! And don't let kissing be the limit, if you know what I mean. The curse is gone, remember? On second thought, don't bother remembering, 'cause everything is fixed so you don't have to worry yourselves 'bout nothing no how... Just get on with that, you know, what you were about to start doing. Hey, how can we have a Utopia if you don't have any little children, hmmm?

This has been a truly fascinating ride, DJ. Great story! thumbsup clap

Ann

#30529 06/20/06 12:11 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooops. Can I just remind everyone not to put spoilers for the story in the header of your feedback threads when you start them, please?

Remember that there may be readers who are catching up with the story, who may not have read the segment yet when you start giving feedback.

It's okay to put spoilers in the thread itself, of course, because readers know if they come into a feedback thread it's at their own risk. But they can't avoid thread headers so easily.

Thanks!

Ann, sorry, but I've had to amend your title - if you want to adjust it to include some non-spoiler content, you know how to edit a post, right? Just click on the pad and pen icon at the top of your post and you can edit the header as well as the body of the post. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#30530 06/20/06 12:22 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
All right, LabRat. Sorry.

Ann

#30531 06/20/06 01:15 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good morning Ann. laugh

I'm glad you continued to enjoy the story down to the end. I'm proud of you for reading it even after the WHAM I had posted. And I have to admit a certain sense of pride at this quote:

If Lois had remained dead in this story, I could never have allowed myself to appreciate this scene in any way. I would have been too busy defending myself from it. But as it is, I can be almost swept away by the beauty of the fact that Clar's picking up Lois and holding her even though she's dead.
Wow! If I can manage to move *you* with this scene, even get you to read this scene, then I feel a sense of accomplishment. I know how you hate death-of-Lois fics and I'm flattered you were willing to give mine a chance.

I'm glad you liked the touching scenes with Mayson. Clark did love her and I couldn't see him leaving without saying goodbye to her.

Yes, I know most fics don't focus on the curse in Soul Mates, but I find that intriguing because so many stories refer to them being soul mates and being bound together, and yet that curse was tied up in that. Superman's worst fear is that he won't be able to save Lois, that's why he's so protective of her and careful. It takes something like *this*, working against him, for him to fail...and yet he still didn't fail, in the end.

I'm not absolutely sure I, the space buff and to a lesser extent, the science buff, am buying what you are saying about there being a sort of absolute *present* in the universe.
That was only Wells' best guess. That's the wonderful thing about time travel. It's not science, it's science fiction, and it is *different* and explained differently in each and every story I've read about it in or movie/tv show, I've seen it in. Until someone actually manages to time travel, it's open to each author's interpretation. I think the strangest use of time travel I ever read was H.G. Wells saying he'd drop Lois & Clark back before he ever picked them up so they wouldn't remember...um, sorry, that never worked for me.

So, I'm taking my interpretive right on that part...I actually didn't have that detailed of an explanation to begin with. I added that in later, just in an attempt to better explain what Wells and Clark thought had happened.

laugh The final dream sequence...I borrowed that from the episode "Meet John Doe" in season 4. This story is supposed to be a prelude to "Meet John Doe".

Thanks so much Ann! I'm glad you enjoyed the ride! dance

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#30532 06/20/06 01:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
NOTE: STORY WAS EDITED FOR CONTENT CHANGE --

I really restled with how to explain the time traveling and the memories. I decided since it was sci-fi that it was open to interpretation.

However, after reading Ann's feedback, and re-reading some feedback Sue had given me, and then thinking about it some more...I decided I wanted to tweak one paragraph just a little.

Sue told me at one point that she liked the explanation I gave because it showed that Lois and Clark's love spanned time and was a constant in the universe. I agreed...I like the thought that true love conquers all...I'm a hopeless romantic.

So anyway, I wanted to convey this a little better, and perhaps re-word things a little better. So here is the end result. I have made the change in my posting of part six, so please do let me know what you think, if you like it better, or if you like the original better. Thanks!

Original Paragraph:
“There is always a past, and always a future, but there is also always a *present*. One spot in time that is the reality of the universe. This is the time that you came from. True, Tempus went back in the past and changed things, but from your *present* mind’s perspective you went to sleep one night and woke up the next morning with different memories, everything had suddenly changed. I have a feeling that because of the strong connection that you and Miss Lane share, your minds simply rebelled.”

Edited/Updated Paragraph:
“For every person who lives there is always a past, and always a future, but there is also always a *present*. Tempus went back in the past and changed things, but from your *present* mind’s perspective you went to sleep one night and woke up the next morning with different memories, everything had suddenly changed. And there is also the connection that you and Miss Lane have which seems to be a constant down through the ages; you have a love that spans across time. I have a feeling that, because of the bond you share, your minds simply rebelled.”

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#30533 06/20/06 03:02 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks, DJ! I like it much better now! That's the whole idea of Einstein's theory of relativity, you know: we have our own absolute truths, but these truths don't hold true for others.

And I love the expanded soulmate thing!

Ann

#30534 06/20/06 06:25 AM
Columnist
Columnist
great story, sorry for not giving feedback sooner, was busy with real life.

I really loved this story till the end. It was interesting and lovely. Thank you very much.

#30535 06/20/06 07:11 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I just read the whole story and really enjoyed it. Great job!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#30536 06/20/06 09:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tahu - Your welcome... and thank you for taking the time to let me know you "really loved it". blush

Jackie - Thank you - Wow! Read it all in one sitting? hyper Thanks for the fdk!

#30537 06/20/06 10:02 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great ending, DJ. smile1

Andreia cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#30538 06/20/06 10:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. drool

“What are you doing to do about him?” Clark asked, concerned.

“I’m going to take him back to the point that he abducted me...”

“Yeah, yeah, back to prison, I know,” Tempus said, interrupting him. “But you have to admit, it was a good plan. I still think it has merit, the idea of separating you and Lois. It just needs a little more work. Next time...” Tempus said, smiling smugly at Clark.

“There will be no next time,” Wells said, scolding him. “You won’t get another chance to try this again. Andrus will be along shortly to take you back to Utopia to face your medicine.”

“Oh, don’t be such a killjoy, Herb. Besides, not even you know exactly what the future holds.” And with that last statement they were gone, traveling through time back to the lives that were waiting for them.
Tempus is a pain in the butt, I love the character. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#30539 06/20/06 11:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Andreia -

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful fdk. Yes, it was angsty but it definitely had it's WAFFiness didn't it? I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'll be back again at some point with another story, but right now, my muse has left and is on hiatus. Hopefully she'll come back with something good.

Maria - you asked:

Is this the past or the future?
You're referring to the final dream sequence...this is a dream sequence I borrowed from "Meet John Doe". So this dream sequence is of the future. Remember Me is actually set up as a prelude to Meet John Doe. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone! smile1

#30540 06/20/06 02:09 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Very neatly done. I enjoyed the entire story. Delightful.

Framework4
#30541 06/20/06 05:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Framework4! I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the fdk along the way. laugh

#30542 06/21/06 06:53 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I loved this story!! Are you going to post it in the archives? Wow, very creative I loved how you tied in episodes with your story line. Good job!

#30543 06/22/06 11:03 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Uh wow... smile

That is all you are getting more from me much later... smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
#30544 06/22/06 11:07 AM
J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
I had lots of fun reading this story. thumbsup thumbsup

~Julia wave

#30545 06/22/06 02:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! eek More fdk? You guys are great!

Okay, I'm actually out of town right now but the place I happen to be at has wireless access. I couldn't believe it when I logged in and saw all these additional comments. Thanks everyone!

loveLandC, thanks, I'm so glad you loved it. And to answer your question, yes, I have sent it off to the archives - it's waiting for an opening in the editor pool.

LLWB - I'm so excited! I can't wait for the *more* later! <DJ does a little dance and husband looks at her like she's crazy, tee hee>

Julia - Thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you had fun reading it, it was a lot of fun to write.

Thank you to everyone! You all have made my week, really! wave

#30546 07/05/06 07:34 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow just read all episodes, just couldn't stop whinging

Keep the stories coming eh wink Btw where do you get the inspiration eek I wish I was that creative to come up with such an idea *I'm so NOT creative :rolleyes: *

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#30547 07/05/06 08:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Selinde - Better than you expected? Wow! Thanks for the compliment!

Yes, LoisLaneWannaBe was so awesome to make that wonderful trailer for me. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Wow!

I have another story or two in the works. I hope to post one of them before the end of the month...I've got a lot going on right now. But, so you can watch for it, the title will be "Novel Idea".

Inspiration? Sometimes from watching an episode. Sometimes from discussions that I get involved with here on the boards. Sometimes from weird dreams I have. blush Hee hee. laugh

Thanks for the feedback and the compliments. I know I speak for the other authors out there when I say "fdk is our drug". wink And sometimes our inspiration, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard