Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30321 06/11/06 12:55 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
...he didn’t want to die without telling Lois one more time that he loved her. Loved her whether she could return his love or not. Loved her even if the only part of him she could love was the part that could fly. Loved her unconditionally. <snip> the love…that came to him as naturally as breathing.
It was in that moment that he realized Lois truly loved him. He knew it with absolute, unshakeable certainty. Despite the utter mess they’d made of things, despite her hesitance to voice the words and his own reluctance to hear them, despite the fact that they’d argued practically every day for a week…despite all that, he knew to his bones that Lois loved him. And if she did, God forbid, allow Luthor to trick her into marrying him, it would be because Clark Kent’s life meant more to her than her own.
I love, love, love this story, I really do. You know, fairly or unfairly, denial is something I usually associate more with Lois than with Clark. But I think that he's the one who's been in denial for most of this story and I love that he's finally breaking through that. He loves her and she loves him, and that's that. Of course, the realization had to come under the worst possible circumstances, but I'm still glad he's finally acknowledging those two things that he's been trying to push away. You expressed the nature of their love for one another beautifully. smile

Someone like Luthor, who was incapable of understanding love, couldn’t possibly know that he’d just given Superman every reason in the world to live.
Perfect.

This is all very exciting, Caroline, and I am on the edge of my seat for the next part.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, Caroline, yu've done it again. I have been anxiously awaiting this part and I must say that it was well worth the wait. Finally, Clark knows that Lois loves him unconditionally. cat

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
wallbash

Can't wait for the next part. I just need my emoticons to do a little wall bashing until Clark hatches a plan to get out of the cage, or until I find out if Lois makes it out of the airport without running into Luthor...

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
L
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
L
drool clap wallbash grovel ....I think that pretty much explains it all...I can't wait for the next part!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can't wait for more. Great job! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Holy Caboodle, you just wont let up Caroline? Love the flashbacks of Lana's legs. laugh

Clark being kind of ambivalent with his feelings for Lois are too seldom explored. In the series he just patiently waits her out seemingly with supreme confidence in his ability to make it work.

But really if he is the goody twoshoes he is portrayed as, I can easily see him ambivalent. Would he physically hurt her? (that's one of the reasons I like Labrat's Burnout, He is hesitant of intimacy because he doesn't know what will happen.) He want's to have a family, but are not very likely to be able to have children. Being away on Superman bussiness would mirror Lois disappointment with her father, which Clark would be aware of. So would it be fair to Lois? The problems would be compounded with the fact that Lois hardly would be the easiest person to have a relationship with.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Top Banana
Top Banana
Superb story. I should have resumed visiting the board long long ago. Anyways, just wanted to say that I totally loved your writing flow, casual transformation between observations, dialog and reminiscences... thumbsup dance

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sometimes I just have to linger at one of the passages in this story, to roll it around in my mind to savor its exquisite body and flavour:

He knew he was dying, and he wished for the distraction of his life flashing before his eyes. Clark had always found that idea comforting, somehow, but it wasn’t happening properly for him at all. He’d imagined it like a movie shown in fast forward, but this was more like bits and pieces of mental flotsam that were bobbing randomly through his mind. He’d try to catch hold of one, and it would slip from his grasp and be replaced by something unrelated.
This image of what it would be like to summarize your life in your dying moments is like being offered a poignant, precious insight. You'll forgive me for being insufficiently moved by Clark's plight in itself, Caroline, but I have come across Clark's almost-dying so many times that I'm not always moved by the situation as such. But it's so rare to be offered a glimpse of what an almost-dying mind would honestly, and so movingly, experience. The only LnC comparison I can think of is the Gorn's A Consummate Revelation and its fantastic description of the thoughts and images flashing through Lois's mind, when she comes close to drowning.

The things Clark does remember are so interesting. Consider the girl he kissed in Florence, and consider his memory of Lana:

A girl he’d kissed once in Florence…her name had been lost to time, but he could still taste the wine on her lips and feel her hair slipping between his fingers. There was music playing somewhere in the distance, drifting towards them on the soft night air, and he felt again the frisson of excitement as she pressed her body close to his in obvious invitation…
…and that gave way to a high school math test, a problem he had no idea how to solve, the drone of a fly flinging itself against the window, and the added distraction of Lana Lang in a short skirt, her gloriously smooth legs crossed just within his line of vision in the next row.
What does Clark remember of these girls? He remembers the first girl's wine-tasting lips and the feel of her hair between his fingers, as well as his own excitement as she leaned her body against his. With Lana, he remembers her short skirt and her smooth legs, and again his own excitement.

Nevertheless, Clark doesn't remember these girls as fully rounded human beings. I'm sure he didn't really know the girl in Florence, so he couldn't remember her as the person she really was. I do believe he knew Lana pretty well, but when all is said and done, he remembers her as a short skirt and a pair of legs.

Have you seen "Pretty Woman" with Julia Roberts? In the opening scene of that movie, the camera zooms in on various body parts of Julia Roberts' character. I don't remember which body parts, but it might have been an eye, a hand, a shoulder, a cheek. The main thing is that Julia Roberts' character comes through as disjointed, as a collection of body parts. She is not a whole person. She is, of course, a prostitute.

The fact that Clark remembers Lana and the girl in Florence mainly as body parts does not mean, of course, that he regards them as prostitutes. I think it does mean, however, that he is ultimately not interested in them as fully rounded human beings - he is not interested in them as themselves. But when it comes to Lois, he can't picture a single moment and certainly not a single body part that defines her. Because Clark's love for her is all-encompassing. To Clark, Lois can't be reduced to something piecemeal or fleeting: she is overwhelmingly herself in her overwhelming integrity. And that's how Clark loves her: as completely, totally herself.

Later, when Luthor brags to Clark that Lois is coming to Metropolis and that he, Luthor, is going to make her his, then Clark realizes what has honestly been staring him in the face for most of the time after he revealed his secret identity to Lois: that she loves him. That she values his life higher than her own, and what greater love is there?

While LnC's Lois has obviously been in denial about her own feelings for Clark, I personally think that Clark himself has been in denial just as much. How can he honestly ask Lois to love him for himself, then deny her the right to know him as himself by keeping his double identity a secret from her?

Personally I've always thought that Clark's secrecy about his double identity has been the root cause of his problems with Lois. And that's why I appreciated it so much that Lois was shaken out of her own denial when Clark revealed his true self and double identity to her in this story. When Clark showed Lois who he really was, then she was truly able to love him for himself, for the man who is both farmboy and superhero. And in this part, Clark acknowledged both his own overwhelming love for Lois as well as Lois's unconditional love for him.

Another thing that I loved about this part was that when Clark saw his own life flashing before his eyes as disjointed snippets, then he seemed to grow younger and younger in his recollections. He saw himself as steadily younger, seemingly going backwards in time. In the final image, he saw himself as an infant being held by his Kryptonian mother, Lara. I was so moved by Clark's gratitude to Luthor for giving him this memory of his biological mother. But I was equally moved by the mode of dying that Clark's recollections suggested: death by youth. Personally I've always thought that this would be an extremely poignant way of dying: by continually growing younger, gradually un-learning everything you know. Finally you would be back in your mother's womb, still growing ever smaller and simpler, until in the end the fertilized egg that you grew out of would separate itself into an unfertilized egg and a sperm, and that would be the final oblivion.

Oh, and... yes, good A-plot, Caroline. But I'll leave it to others to comment on that, except to say that it would be very interesting if you would let Martha and Jonathan be the ones who ultimately defeat Luthor and save Lois and Clark.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Brava! clap What a great chapter - I loved it! Ditto to what all the others have said. This story is so well-written. Very, very well done.

I had been wondering how Clark would manage to escape without the cummerbund. (Well, he hasn't actually escaped yet, has he? - But the entire rewrite of the scene with Luthor, substituting the tie for the cummerband was pure genious.)

I'm on the edge of my seat here, anxiously awaiting the next chapter...

- Vicki

PS - I didn't get around to posting fdk on the previous chapter, so I'll make a quick comment here - I absolutely loved and adored the entire puke-green-shirt-for-a-cat-bed scene, and I loved it even more that this wonderful Lois and *Clark* moment took place while he was Superman. What more proof does this boy need? <g>

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard