Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, everyone, for all the wonderful feedback. We really appreciate it -- very, very much. We said all along while we were writing that if no one else thought the story was funny, at least we had cracked ourselves up. <g> But we're delighted (and relieved wink ) to know that our sense of humor isn't way out in left field.

The big topic of debate, as we expected smile , was whether Clark was really drunk, and there were definitely two different opinions being expressed on the subject:

is it just me, or is a bottle and a half of wine lowering his inhibitions?

you made him drunk, you guys!

I want an explanation for how Clark got drunk!!!!

Are you sure Clark wasn't drunk?

... we get to see him drunk while he doesn't realize it yet.
versus ...

poor Clark chugging an entire bottle of wine and it still didn't make him drunk!

Clark's frustration at not being able to get drunk was quite interesting ...

... since he's gone for 36 hours without sleep and he's also mentally exhausted and frustrated about Lois, are you trying to imply that he's gotten "mentally" tipsy?

We know that Clark wasn't drunk, just finally frustrated and fed up with having to hide his feelings for Lois ...
LOL! Talk about different interpretations.

As Paul guessed, however, this was intentional on our part -- we wanted to leave it up to the reader to decide whether Clark was really getting tipsy (we certainly hope no one saw him as plastered!) from the wine, or whether it was all in his mind, due to his lack of sleep and frustrating day.

And to be honest, as a couple people implied, Clark may not even know whether his condition is physical or mental. After all, up to a point, acting "tipsy" is a state of mind -- there was a recent study, for example, where researchers got college students "drunk" on nothing but water and limes (they were told it was vodka and tonic water), and more first-hand, a woman I know once giggled and told her husband that it had been so long since she'd drank, she was getting tipsy from only a single drink ... he almost hated to tell her she was drinking non-alcoholic beer. <g>

So feel free to interpret it however you want to. smile

The next question that arose has to do with whether Clark's drinking will cause a problem for them later on ...

Me mentioned:

I get the impression that there could be problems cropping up from his state of "inebriation."
and Phil wrote:

Otherwise, I can't help feeling that there's trouble ahead for the couple, mostly stemming from how Lois will feel about "taking advantage" of Clark when he had the strength (barely! [[Big Grin]] ) not to take advantage of her. ... it would be in character for her to hate herself and feel horribly embarrassed and humiliated that she couldn't match her partner's self-control.
The two of you are coming at things from opposite directions -- one that Clark is drunk, the other that he's not -- but the common thread seems to be that, because Lois thinks Clark is drunk, she won't be able to trust his feelings. Don't forget, however, that whether or not Clark is drunk this night, he wasn't drunk the night before, and that's when he made it clear to Lois that he likes her -- he *really* likes her -- and that he wanted to be more than just friends. In our opinion, he's already let her know his feelings while sober, which Lois seems to recognize when her memory finally come back to her. Granted, Clark doesn't declare his undying love and neither does Lois. But our goal wasn't to get them down the aisle, only to get them to admit "there's more to our relationship than just friendship." smile

As for Lois hating herself and feeling humiliated over "taking advantage" of him, though, we honestly can't think of any reason why either of them would regret anything. As we said, we feel Clark made it clear when he was sober that he does like her and wants to kiss her, so we're not sure why Lois would feel guilty about taking him up on that, even if he's had a few drinks.

That said, it did occur to us that some people might be feeling uncomfortable with the "taking advantage" line because they interpreted this to mean "having sex". (No one stated this explicitly here, but one person did in private email.) If it helps anything, we can honestly say that this interpretation never occurred to us -- as far as we are concerned, they will make out for a little while, then will eventually settle in for a nice WAFFy talk. smile It's much too early for them to be taking things to the bedroom, drinking or not!

What we have come to realize is missing, however, is that *Lois* never actually tells Clark that she likes him, only that she "still wants him". That's something we hope to add into the story, probably by having Lois say a little more when she tells Clark she wishes he wasn't drunk. smile

And finally, the calls for an epilogue ...

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the subject; it's really interesting how many different opinions there are and we appreciate everyone who took the time to explain your opinion. We've thought about it a lot, and at this point, we are probably going to leave the ending mostly as is, with maybe only a few minor tweaks to get Lois to express her feelings more explicitly. We're concerned that adding more to the end of the story would take away from the impact of Clark's final line and that any talk they would have would have a "been there, done that" feel. In other words, we can't think of anything to add at this point that would be unique to this story. smile

Again, thank you to everyone who posted here or wrote us private feedback! We really appreciate your support, suggestions, and encouragement. smile

Kathy and Annie

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I may be late because I was away on vacation, but I just had to leave you this comment!

I loved the story from start to end. But like many others I wish you'd write a bit more explaining how Clark got drunk and what happens when he's sober again.

This story was full of humour, it was lighthearted and yet very deep. Wonderful writing, a jewel among the fanfics of this fandom. My compliments.

~Sira

Blogger
Blogger
<thud>

My stars!!!

shock

A drunk Clark, and a nervous Lois make yummy chemistry for me!

Great writing guys! You had me on the edge of my seat the whole way. Nice to see Lois finally grow a pair and go to see Clark.

The chemistry between those two was as close to afterburn as it gets.

Whew!

sloppy

hehe

LOVED it!

Can't wait to see more from you guys.

Bella

Lois : And you know, you put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark : "And I love you. Did we just make up?"
Lois : "I think so."
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
LOL! Thanks, Bella! It was so fun to log on and find new comments for this story. I love it when new members find previously posted stories . Thanks for posting comments!

We're glad you had fun with the story. We had a lot of fun writing it. smile As for whether Clark was really drunk or not, though, see my earlier response (a few posts before this one) to get our take on that. smile

It should be uploaded to the Archive soon, but it was great to get another comment even before that. Thanks!

(And thanks to Sira, too; we'd missed saying thanks to you last time! smile )

Kathy (and Annie)

Top Banana
Top Banana
RL prevented me from reading this story until last night. goofy How did you ever come up with that? smile You wrote a story that would have been a great episode for the show. thumbsup

I don't know what you're going to do to, uh, with them for a sequel, but don't make us wait too long. hyper

KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
LOL, ethnica, thanks! I'm glad you were finally able to catch up with the story and that you enjoyed it so much. smile

As for a sequel, sorry but we don't have any plans for one (we're both pretty busy trying to finish all the other stories on our plates smile ), but we appreciate the fact that you liked it enough to ask. smile

Kathy

Blogger
Blogger
we're both pretty busy trying to finish all the other stories on our plates
hyper "Like maybe When More Becomes Everything"?
dance Please say 'Yes'!!!
Terry

KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
LOL!

My first priority is to finish up "Momentum 2", which is currently about half done, and then yes, I definitely want to get back to work on "When More Becomes Everything"! smile

The only fly in the ointment is this BatP/HoL rewrite that has grabbed hold of my mind and, despite my best efforts, doesn't seem to want to let go. I made the mistake of telling Annie all about it (like WMBE, I have it all plotted, just not written) while I was visiting her and she was so excited about it, it didn't help me push it to the back of the priority list. <g>

But with any luck at all, I'll get M2 out by the end of the year and then be able to spend 2004 working on finishing at least one of these two what-look-to-be-epic-length stories! smile

Thanks for asking!

Kathy

Blogger
Blogger
Oh good! smile1 The end of the year is just a few weeks away!! laugh Oh wait! You mean, you didn't mean Rosh Hashanah? goofy

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait to enjoy M2, and then hope you start posting installments of WMBE ASAP!
Terry

L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
Wow an amazing story. Loved the way you wrote a drunk Lois

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard