Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is very interesting indeed, Tank. You are addressing the following question here: If Superman had been for real, how would he have made his presence felt in the real world? He would, of course, help out at natural disaster sites, we all know that. But would he take part in wars? If Superman had existed for real and the current Administration had ordered him to go to - well, just for the sake of the argument, let's assume they ordered him to go to Iraq - and let's assume, too, that they ordered him to become an active part of America's war effort, so that he was supposed to scour the land for insurgents - what would he have done?

Back in the very early days of the Second World War, I do believe there was a Superman comic where Superman captured Hitler and someone else - could it have been Chamberlain? Or even Stalin? - and ordered them to fight their grudges out on their own, between themselves, man to man, instead of setting huge armies against each others and killing millions. I believe that in this comic, Superman had his way. Hitler and this other guy fought it out between themselves, and there was no war. Of course, in the real world the war could not be tamed and put out so easily.

The thing about Superman is that he's a fantasy, and basically he has to remain that. He can't put a stop to wars anywhere, and he can't topple any tyrants. We should be content to let Superman inhabit a fantasy world where wars are not a great priority.

Nevertheless, Tank, I thank you for showing us your vision of what Superman should be all about, and for showing us how you think he ought to have tackled the question of real wars, if he had existed for real. The way I read you, you are saying that Superman would not have become a soldier in Iraq. He would not have become an active part of America's war effort. And I'm glad. Because that's the only way I can really accept Superman myself, if he is not a warrior. Of course, there are so many shades of gray here. I don't think I would have protested at all if Superman had gone to Darfur to put a stop to the incredible human suffering there. Basically, though, I don't want to think of him as a warrior, a soldier.

This story is called Truth, Justice and Superman's Way. It used to be said that Superman fought for truth, justice and the American way. So, what about Superman and the American way? How should we look at Superman's American nationality? How American should he be?

To me, a Swede who is definitely a political liberal, it's clear that Superman must be an American. First and foremost because he is an American! He was created as a character by two young Jewish-Americans in the 1930s, in the middle of the Depression. There is something about this that is so moving. Imagine the 1930s, when the persecution of Jews was growing ever more serious and Holocaust was just about to happen. And the great Depression had hit America so hard. In the middle of this, the two young kids, Siegel and Shuster, created this wonderful, optimistic, futuristic symbol of America's strength, youthfulness, good will and faith in the future. I love it. To me, Superman represents a thoroughly beautiful symbol of America, of everything that is good about America, of the American dream.

But I've never liked it when America wages war on small nations for what seems to me to be insufficient reasons. To me, that betrays the idea of what America should be. That's why I need to believe that if Superman had existed for real, he might have gone to Darfur to put a stop to the massive human suffering there, but he wouldn't have gone to Iraq to bring about a regime change.

But I also love it that you said in your story that Superman would have broken all his rules to save Lois. That resonated very strongly with me. I like to think of him that way: He can't stand by passively and just watch when his wife is about to be murdered, no matter what rules he may be breaking or what principles he may be violating by interfering.

Finally, I have to add two things. Thank you so very much for not turning this into a death-of-Lois fic, seeing that it could so easily have become one.

Lastly, though, I'm a little surprised at you. You have those terrible terrorists practically shave off a patch of Lois's hair, but you don't use this opportunity to give her a real haircut? What? Have you lost your edge, Tank, or maybe your scissors? goofy

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Tank, this was a really sensitive story. I never thought about what Superman would do if saving someone would break the law, especially Lois. Even without a beta this was well written and well thought through.

I have to agree that I think you are getting weak in your old age...you didn't end this in a completely unexpected way, though I do realize that this was a serious matter. This is sort of like a mother doing anything for her kids' safety. I totally understand.

Again well done! hail

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow.

This has to be the most powerful story I've ever read, from the standpoint of what Superman stands for and the limits of what he will and won't do. So very well done.

This, in particular, was like a punch to the gut:
"No, I still don't think you quite understand. I would compromise everything that Superman stands for to save you, Lois. I would commit crimes. I would overthrow governments."

Lois suddenly felt an icy chill stab at her heart. "Would you kill?" Her voice was barely above a whisper.

The pain in his eyes was like a physical blow to her. "Don't ask me that."

She reached out her hand, but was afraid to touch him. "Why?"

"Because I don't know the answer. Because there is no answer. Either way would mean my destruction."
Yes, absolutely. Superman doesn't have absolute standards; we know that. Because he has emotions like any human. He loves just like any human. And he will compromise what he stands for when Lois or someone else he loves is at risk. And that's why Lois has to be aware of that.

Very well done!

As for this:
Up front I have to apologise that this hasn't been beta read. Unfortunately, my Super Secret Mystery Beta Reader has been kidnapped to Who knows where.
To be fair, you never asked! You did mention that you were working on a story but were stuck, and your last email mentioned being close to finishing. I had every intention of offering, but here I click on the fanfic folder and you've posted. wink

Not that you needed a BR for this. I barely saw anything I'd have picked out for correction. However, the file would've been full of praise, and that's what you missed out on! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Wow.

I'm tempted to leave it just at that, but I can't.

Wendy already said everything I was planning on saying. She even quoted the exact passage I was going to quote. So ditto to Wendy.

Hugely powerful, Tank. notworthy And, also... The aforementioned passage - probably one of the best things I've ever read.

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Great job Tank! This is a very sensitive topic that you have chosen and you have handled it well without getting political and overly opinionated about it.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Tank, this is ... well, to quote Sara's earlier comment, wow. Just *wow.* There are so many facets that worked brilliantly together here that I can't coherently comment on all of them!

I absolutely love how you've spun the phrase "truth, justice and the American way" on its head by calling it "Superman's way." He's the world's hero, not just America's — and that's beautifully illustrated in your story. It brings in so many questions — and answers many of them — about how Clark would react to involving himself in situations in a war-torn country.

Lois' passion shows what reporters everywhere should be doing — providing readers with truth and conveying what life is like in a war-ravaged land and almost forcing them to pay attention because *these* are the things that matter, not the latest episode of "American Idol." But, as we've unfortunately seen countless times, some journalists pay for that passion with their lives — and sadly, Lois nearly has to.

And Clark's reaction afterward, his moodiness and anger and self-doubt, are spot-on, as is Lois' adamant refusal to compromise her reporting style, because it ultimately defines who she is — and it's also one of the many reasons Clark loves her.

I'll have to say ditto to Wendy's comments on the first passage she quoted; it was like a punch to the gut.

The way you wrote this piece made it simultaneously ambiguous (and I mean that in the best way possible!) and applicable to so many aspects of today's political atmosphere — masterfully done, Tank. Thanks for sharing this with us.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Tank,

As always you get us thinking. I like the way you make Superman, Kal El, a political neutral.

Clark Kent the boy from Kansas can be a citizen of Metropolis, exercising all of the rights and duties of a citizen but Kal El can't.

It fits with the "Role" Clark has chosen for Superman.

The late "Mother Teresa" was often criticized because she ignored the political realm around her and simply ministered to the poor.

Democracy imposed from without is the severest form of tyranny. -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr.
The spirit of democracy cannot be imposed from without. It has to come from within. -- Mohandas K. Gandhi
I like the way this fills out Superman's role, it provides a reason behind his stance. Well done.

I also enjoyed the sense of give and take in Clark's Discussion with Lois
I don't want to change who you are..... "But aren't there enough windmills to tilt at right here?
I think this story helps prop up the mythos with both clear reasoning and heart. Thanks for writing it.

Patrick

Framework4
Columnist
Columnist
Wonderfully done, Tank. Great to see a new story from you.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well written, indeed! I was really terrified for a while there about Lois but you did manage a suprise by extending the good ol' Lane luck. Not usually your kind of style, Tank! As for Superman, WOW!!! He is THE man!!!!!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow - as the others said, very, very powerful!

Too bad America isn't pursuing a more Superman Way these days.

Clark was right - either way Lois's question was answered, it would destroy him. That big thing he's never done - kill. If he didn't, or couldn't, kill to save her - he would be destroyed, because she would be gone and he would not have saved her. If he did kill to save her - he could never live with the guilt. What a horrible dilemma, even hypothetically.

My original comment was going to be along the lines of "what, no haircut?" But I can't do that - what you are addressing here just isn't funny, and the light humor of a haircut would add a jarring note.

You've painted vividly in just a few paragraphs exactly how ultimately human Superman is. He loves deeply enough to compromise all that he is to ensure his beloved's safety. I think that while Lois knows he loves her, she has never understood - really understood - until now, just how much he does love her.

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story Tank, for all the reasons mentioned already. Nice job. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think that while Lois knows he loves her, she has never understood - really understood - until now, just how much he does love her.
I think Janet said it very nicely here.

What a well-written, thoughtful and thought-provoking story, Tank.

Wendy already quoted my favourite section above, and others have praised this story more eloquently than I could. So I'll just say thanks. This was a pleasure to read, and it's a vignette I'm sure I'll be rereading in the not too distant future. smile

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Tank

WOW! This is excellent. So powerful! smile1 I so glad to see you writing L&C fic again.

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great thought provoking story, Tank. Very well done. Lois definitely can be dense at times.
hail
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Darn, Artemis stole my phrase. laugh I, too, was going to say that this was a very thought-provoking piece. Thanks, Tank. smile

Yvonne

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I wanted to say that this one of the most powerful stories I read in good long while. If I ever write something myself I would like it to be something like this.

How would people actually react to someone like superman in real life? Really?

In the series everyone but Jason Trask seems to take Superman apperance in stride, while in reality Trasks behaviour would be normal one. Oh, people would be grateful to someone that could stop floods and earthquakes, but mostly he would create widespread fear. Countries and regimes that seemed to divert from his point of view would be outright terrified. It would pretty insane to simply trust the benevolence of a guy with godlike powers.
Jonathans sentiment "dissect him like a frog" made a lot of sense.

Clark’s way to combat this is his funny suit his deference to national law. He tries to create a myth of superman as neutral, trustworthy and incorruptible. That why he doesn’t take side in wars or free political prisoners.

I really missed “truth justice and the American way” in the second episode and generally I don’t think much of American flaggwaving. But in Clark’s case I can see this naïve patriotism making sense. Things like freedom, equal opportunity, regard for work and private enterprise acceptance of immigrants fitting into the traditional American heritage. Life has been good to him he has been raised in pretty prosperous place where people help each other out he desperately wants to belong. And those things colours his outlook.

Clark doesn’t really have political program yet his awesome powers also force him to make choices all the time and since he is a nice guy he has to act. We can sit at the dinner table and feel sorry about the starving children in Africa. Superman can hear them.
In the new krypton arch you have Ching complaining about how Clark isn’t enforcing what he knows is a better way.
I think this is an example on Clark view on personal freedom and choice. In the short run he could establish a rule that would be better for mankind but in the long haul people wouldn’t be better of because real change come from inside. Instead he tries show humanity a better way by setting a personal example.

This also leads to politics, because everything he says or did would be politics.
He would constantly be asked about his opinion and those would be a powerful force in themselves. Abortion, death penalty, democracy the whole shebang and he would answer, because it hard to set a personal example if you don’t explain what you stand for.

That is also a problem with the show. Decisions, alleviating famine in Ethiopia or stopping jewel robberies in Metropolis. Hmm, what would superman do?

Yet all principles have limits and its fascinating to see how they break down around Lois.
Clark who hardly says a cross word even too the vilest of criminals puts out all stops when his button is pushed.

You see it in so many of the episodes.
In double jeopardy he threatens to kill Luthor outright.
In John Doe Lois ask Clark to go to the white house and kick out the president elect. Then he gives her a lecture about how he has to obey the rules, yet when Tempus threaten her the rules are not that important anymore.
Or in the people vs Lois Lane when he decides that Lois shouldn’t be in prison anymore.
It's very human. The differnce is that ultimately Clark is not responsible to anyone but himself, which I imagine it would be pretty terrifying for guy who tries his outmost to fit in.

I would like to quote this from reference.com about supermans personality.

Originally, Superman's personality could be rough and destructive. In one really early story in which the government would not help maintain low income areas unless a disaster occurred, Superman went on a rampage and created one. Superman is also nearly always portrayed as having had some hand in WWII, when the timeline permits. As superhero stories became more oriented toward young readers, the writers moved toward his better known "boy scout" persona.

Superman has been willing to lay down his life or sacrifice his powers for good. He rescues cats from trees and participates in community fund-raisers. He often acts behind the scenes and lets others receive the credit. His modesty and humility catches his foes and critics off-guard, as they do not understand why he spends his life helping others and doing good.
Recent writers have attempted to deepen Superman's persona and provide a rationale for his goodness. They reveal his self-doubts, and his fear that he might abuse his powers and become a monster, subject to no one. He therefore makes it a point of submitting to authority, helping him to feel a restraint on his actions.

This line of thinking, that Superman is a hero as deeply conflicted with his gifts as Batman is with his past, is key to the modern interpretation of Superman not as a better man, but what is best in man. It is also important that Superman often struggles with vast social issues in his fiction, including tackling world hunger, unsuccessfully, in a short wide-panel 1990s graphic novel called Peace on Earth. Through these conflicts, discussions of good and evil are formed, as Superman struggles with restraint in the face of bigotry, avarice, and cruelty. In this manner, Superman's excessive arsenal of powers is rendered secondary to his ability to convince others to act.
Far from a perfect individual, Superman is often pictured with a sense of childish innocence mixed with patriarchal restraint. He is also a man with an incredible depth of feeling, since he lives within his own mind as much as he does in the reality of society, often struggling with the differences between the right answer and the practical one. In many ways, Superman is truly one of the most "human" heroes conceived, since he responds to emotional grief in stark contrast to the way he shrugs off bullets, bombs, and death-rays. Superman's "lily white" persona has been mocked, ridiculed, and spoofed, especially in recent comic book history, when "grim and gritty" comics dominated the market. Superman may seem old-fashioned and even quaint compared to the "dark avengers" who currently command the lion's share of the market, and this is intentional. On several recent occasions, Batman has faced Superman, and Batman has served as a foil to Superman's goodness; Batman, in his more recent incarnations, won't hesitate to use guile or underhanded tactics to gain an advantage, while Superman fights fair long after both sides have begun swinging below the belt, knowing that his vast powers require him to act with equal restraint.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Like the others have said, wow.

That was powerful and thought provoking.

And has lead to this fantastic comments thread.

Like Ann said, Superman is American, and there's no getting round that, and I don't think that's a problem (at least not in this particular Superman fandom, I'm not really familiar with other Superman incarnations to know if it's different elsewhere) But we know that American values are not necessarily universal, and I've often wondered how Superman deals with that. I think that's one reason why it's so important that Clark's travelled a lot, to get that broader global perspective. Is the travelling a common thing in other incarnations?

And the subtleties of Clark's reasoning, that there could come a time when he couldn't save Lois, not because he was physically unable, but because he was morally unable, was fantastic. I'd never considered that as a possibility.

Thank you for giving me something new.

Helga

(Though I still reckon you could work a proper haircut in their somewhere smile )

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Whoa! I'm not sure I've got the right feedback folder here, but in case I do... Thanks.

It's been a while since I dusted off the fingers for a L&C fic, and so I thought I'd give it a try just to see if I could. I haven't been in much of a writing mood lately (quite a while, actually) so it took a little time to drag this out of my fevered brain.

I glad that most folks seemed to enjoy the story.

Tank (who should point out that Lois really didn't need a haircut since this was post married Lois who already has the proper haircut)

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Very interesting, thought-provoking piece.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh Tank. I loved this. The part has already been quoted that I wanted to quote, but when Lois asked him if he would kill for her. Wow! I just...wow! That's all I can say. Very moving. jawdrop

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard