Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30047 05/22/06 01:36 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Caroline, I've been so bad about FDKing and I blame it on my new job, RL and... and... well, I'm sure there are other factors goofy , but this is really great and I can't wait to see how it ends! smile

I love this line:

He never lost his powers completely, but they’d flickered like a dying light bulb all afternoon and been far too unreliable for him to consider any Superman duties.
... I think it PERFECTLY describes what Kryptonite exposure does to him and his powers, it was just the most perfect image and I really adored it notworthy

And also, this conversation just got me!!! laugh

“When you invent a superhero, you don’t do it half-way,” Clark agreed. “It can be a lot to live up to.”

“Have I made you feel that way?” she asked, cocking her head at him.

“Oh, yeah,” he said. “Many times. But you’ve also made me feel…” He shrugged, feeling a little foolish. “Super, I guess. Like if I tried hard enough, I could actually be the hero you thought I was. It sounds silly…”

“No,” she said softly. “Not silly at all. But I can hardly believe that anything I said meant so much to you – that I had that responsibility and didn’t even know it. It’s kind of scary, thinking about it now.”

“It shouldn’t be. More than once, you kept me going when I wanted to give up. You set the bar incredibly high, but you also made me want to reach it. I guess I never wanted to let you down.”

“You’ve never let me down,” she promised him. “Not as Superman, and not as Clark. And you won’t, no matter what happens.”

“That’s a lot of faith to put in a farmboy,” he said softly, feeling somewhat awed by the thought.
... it's such a fantastic conversation, so honest and you can certainly sense the deep feelings and love here, as they talk about one of the many elements of their special bond and relationship.

Really great stuff. I cannot wait for more!

~NICOLE smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I am beyond thrilled every time I see a new installment from you, Caroline, and for good reason. This was really, really good.

Clark's thoughts at the beginning on what he once thought his relationship with Lois could have been, to what he now thinks it could be, were spot on. I enjoyed the humorous interlude with the Kents and Lois looking over his baby pictures. wink And of course, every time you have these two talking, I'm just arrested.

“You’ve never let me down,” she promised him. “Not as Superman, and not as Clark. And you won’t, no matter what happens.”
That was perfect. Already hints of her aptness to her future role as the partner of the whole man.

“I don’t let just anybody be top banana you know.”
And hee, I loved that Lois interjection, too.

Thanks for giving us a heads-up on your break. I'll await your return with bated breath. smile Thanks for leaving us with such a wonderful chapter in the meantime.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh Caroline...you've done it yet again. Another emotional part. When I'm reading this story I'm not just reading, I'm there. I feel Lois and Clark's emotions when they are tallking and acting as Martha and Jonathan. I've really gotten into this story. peep

I know that you said that real life has interfered for a little while but don't abandon us too long. I simply cannot wait for the next part. wallbash

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooo, yay! Another part!

Sorry to hear we'll have a wait for the next one, though.

Good job with Clark's introspection at the beginning of this one. His thoughts on her reaction to the globe. I love the realization that he was after an ideal of Lois, just as she was after Superman. Very nice.

The whole baby pictures scene was just really fun.

Too bad he didn't tell Lois about the Kryptonite, but that's Clark for you.

Oh, the grasshopper! laugh I love that!

I see the A-plot is coming along nicely, too.

Really looking forward to seeing more of this, when it's ready. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Only two more parts? Wow! These folks are going to be busy for the next two chapters.

My favorite part was the image of Superman pleading with his mother to put away the baby and toddler pictures. Martha took a picture of Clark using the potty the first time? Hysterical! And Lois's focus on the pictures was priceless! Superman, the most powerful being on Earth, reduced to complete helplessness by two women with a photo album! I think I pulled a rib muscle laughing.

But the A-plot is moving along well. I suspect that someone's going to figure out where Lois is and threaten her, maybe even put her in the hospital before Clark can rescue her. Or, maybe Clark will be threatened by Kryptonite and Lois will rescue him. That might be even more appropriate for this story.

Love the story. Sorry that real life is attacking you, but I understand. Your family has first call on your time, so take care of them first. We'll wait.

We'll probably nag a lot, though.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Another great, GREAT part! grumble ), but I read every chapter, and I love them! I like your Lois, I love your Clark and your Martha! And the photo-scene is priceless! clap

Simona smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I don't feel I have that much time to write any sort of long FDK right now, Caroline, so please reread what the others have said and know that I whole-heartedly agree. But no one has quoted this favorite of mine, so I'll have to do it:

With their conversation in the tree house, many of his reservations about Lois knowing his secret had fallen away, and now their friendship seemed rich with new possibilities. The knowledge that he could talk openly with her was positively exhilarating. He could talk about the questions he had about his origins, his abilities, and his mortality. He could talk about his duel identity - about all the problems inherent in his double life, but also all the blessings. He could talk about the rescues that plunged him into a sea of despair and about the ones that lifted him out again, restoring his faith in humanity.

He could look right into her eyes, without hiding behind a pair of glasses.
(It should possibly be "dual" identity.)

Seeing that Clark annoys me so badly by lying to Lois, it was so refreshing to see what he has to gain by being honest with her. This quote says very much about who Clark is, but it also says a lot about what Lois and Clark can, and should, be together.

Like everybody else, I, too, loved it that Lois told Clark that he has never let her down, and that he never will. And I loved Simon the grasshopper!

And like the others here, I'm a little sorry that we will have to wait for the next parts, but you just can't beat RL....

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
“Hi, honey,” his mom said, smiling brightly from her place in the middle of the floor. “Oh, dear. You need a new cape, don’t you?”

“Hi, Clark,” Lois said, barely looking up.

“Hi, Clark,” his father echoed. “Can you stay a while? …Oh, here, Lois, look at this one. See - he’s wearing the little T-rex shirt I was telling you about.”
Hah! clap Go right ahead and ramble. The more, the better. I really like this story!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
Wonderful chapter! wave

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Only a few more parts to go? frown

When she’d pleaded with him that she wanted to understand, he suddenly realized that he wanted the same thing. For so long, the only two people in the world who really understood him had been his parents. His parents were wonderful, but they were still parents, and there would always be things he wasn’t quite comfortable sharing with them. The urge to be understood by a friend, a contemporary, was almost overwhelming, and Lois was the only one who knew enough to be a candidate.
Love this. His hurt and mistrust mingling with a deep yearning for someone else to understand. *sigh*

The truth was that he couldn’t do anything but love her, no matter how hard he tried.
Wow, I love this. Really, really love this.

It was, quite literally, more than he had ever allowed himself to hope for. He had dreamed of a romantic relationship with Lois since practically the moment he’d met her, but it had always taken on a rosy glow of unreality in his mind. There had been ridiculously conventional dreams of a perfect, picket-fenced life, and there had been more blatantly sexual fantasies, which, though tame by many men’s standards, still made him blush when he thought of them in the light of day. Somehow, though, his mind had balked at imagining the inevitable moment when he would have to reveal himself to her completely. He had never allowed himself to indulge in dreams of total, unconditional acceptance.
Yeah, it's a big chunk, but I couldn't pick out just part of it. goofy This is brilliant. Great insight.

Life with Lois – the real, live Lois who would drag a heavy ladder a half a mile just to stick her nose somewhere it didn’t belong – life with that Lois would be interesting.
LOL! I love that! Another great insight!

It would be challenging. It would be crazy and fun and sometimes aggravating, and it would remind him every day of all the reasons he’d fallen in love with her in the first place.
AWWWWWW! *gets all teary-eyed*

Upon opening the farmhouse door, he concluded almost immediately that Lois was trying to drive him insane. He was sure of it.
ROFL!!! goofy

“The grasshopper funeral was a little over-the-top, though. I mean, you can take that whole tender-hearted thing too far, even when you’re four. And don’t grasshoppers destroy wheat crops?”

“Dad refused to attend the funeral,” Clark admitted.
whinging I'll be waiting patiently (whimpering and grumbling under my breath wink ) for the next part!!

Have I mentioned before, Caroline, how much I love this story??

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Caroline

Another excellent part! smile1

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Caroline,

I'm trying to be patient, and I understand all about real life, honestly. But this story is just so darn good! When can we expect more? wildguy )

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Originally posted by Vicki:

(As Terry said, we'll wait. But we'll nag. wildguy )

- Vicki
Hi Vicki, and anyone else who's interested smile

Fear not, this is the kind of nagging I can get into. (Unlike when my kids do it and it drives me bananas!) I'm flattered that you're missing the story.

Real life has settled down a bit, and the next chapter is in the editing stage and should be posted this weekend sometime - and maybe even tonight, depending on how much time I have today. And I've been writing backwards some, so a good bit of the end of the story is also written. I should be back to my every-5-days-or-so posting schedule now (knock wood).

Many thanks to all who have followed this story. I know WiP's written by an unknown writer can be seen as risky ventures, and I appreciate your giving this one a chance. More soon, I promise smile

Best,

Caroline

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard