Chapter 2: Hearing

The Harvest Festival was in full swing when they arrived.

“Hey, Dad, Paul said he’d be over by the corn stand,” Jordan said.

“Yeah, Tag said they do some kind of popcorn contest?” Jon said, though a bit confused at the end.

“Okay, go on, you two. Have fun,” Clark said, waving them on.

Lois and Clark watched them hurry off.

“I still can’t believe Eliza broke up with him over the phone,” Clark muttered.

Lois sighed. “Yeah, well, I think that reflects more on her character than anything else. Of course, long distance relationships rarely work out. And while I'll likely never tell Jon this, I think it was best that it ended sooner rather than later.”

“Yeah,” Clark agreed. “I'm just glad he's bounced back as well as he has.”

“Well, I think a lot of that is due to having a super talk with his dad,” Lois said approvingly before chuckling. “And to think, you even slid ‘the Talk’ in there too! – tame as it was.”

“I wasn't going to miss the opportunity. Besides, it appeared to help,” he said with a self conscious shrug.

“Yeah, learning their dad had been . . . very patient but had turned out fine is certainly helpful,” she said with a laugh, hugging his side as they walked. “But I think what helped Jon the most was learning you've experienced a break up too, and have struggled with self-identity – although the latter is more relevant to Jordan.”

Clark nodded before they approached his favorite food stand. He looked at Lois, as if asking permission.

She sighed dramatically. “Go ahead.”

“I'm getting extra for you know who,” Clark said quietly.

She raised an amused eyebrow. “Just make sure I'm there when he tries it for the first time.”

“Okay,” he said, beaming as he bought twenty sticks of chocolate bacon.

Carrying them in a special bag, Clark and Lois continued down the street, enjoying the Harvest Festival as hours went by.

“Oh, my dad called. The RV will arrive later this week,” Lois said. “He also told me Irons has asked to talk to me again and my dad finally thinks it's a good idea.”

“What do you think?” Clark asked, a little concerned.

“I think it's a good idea. I just don't know if I should wait until after I investigate the RV or just go in now. There are a few things we still don't know about him. Like, how long was he married to that other Lois? Did they have kids? Where did they live? Did they know Superman at all? What did they do for a living before it all went to crap?” Lois asked. “I mean, I know my dad has prodded a little, but he's been wary about pushing too hard. It's clear the guy is close to just snapping completely, or at least that's what my dad has told me, and considering everything, he's probably right. How could he not be?”

Clark hummed thoughtfully, before they saw Jordan happily approaching them with Jon, Tag, and someone else.

“Hey, are you all enjoying yourselves?” Clark asked cheerfully.

“Yeah, we just wanted to let you know the Darrens are here now,” Jordan said. “So–Oh, sorry, this is Paul Lincoln. Paul, these are my parents.”

“And this is Tag Harris,” Jon quickly interjected.

Paul smiled and shook Clark’s hand before doing the same with Lois. Tag followed suit.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Kent,” they said politely.

Clark instantly recognized Paul as Luke Lincoln’s son. He had dirty blond hair and tanned skin, as well as a hefty frame that made him appear years older than he actually was. All he needed to easily pass as an adult was facial hair.

“Hi, Paul, how is your dad doing? Is your mom still making blankets?” Clark asked.

Paul’s eyes lit up. “He’s doing great, and my mom got a big order recently from a fundraiser who helps raise money for children's hospitals,” he said.

“That’s great!” Clark said. “I’m glad things are going well. And Tag, glad to finally meet you. Your parents must be very proud of you.”

Paul and Tag both smiled at Clark’s words.

“So I take it you and Jordan are going to help the Darrens?” Lois asked, looking at Paul.

Paul and Jordan nodded.

“Okay, we’ll be heading home around 10, so be sure to find us by then,” Clark said.

“Okay, Dad,” Jordan said, before they hurried off again.

Clark smiled, glad to see they were having fun and had friends.

“I’ll never get tired of seeing it,” Lois said after a moment.

“What?” Clark asked.

“Proof that moving here was the right decision,” she said, squeezing his hand.

Clark grinned before leading the way to more food stands.

O o O o O

“I am not too sure about this, Brother,” Tal said, holding up the long strip of chocolate covered bacon above the kitchen table they were seated around.

“It's the greatest thing ever, Tal. It's so good!” Clark assured, even as Tal glanced at Lois who was failing to completely hide her revulsion of the strange food.

“I will try it, then,” Tal said, before giving the bacon a subtle sniff. His eyebrow went up and he promptly took a bite.

“So . . . ?” Clark asked expectantly.

Tal's eyes widened as he slowly chewed. Savored, really. He finally swallowed.

“Brother, Smallville is a gem,” Tal stated, before taking another bite and looking quite content.

Clark beamed, looking triumphant, as Lois shook her head.

Before too long, Tal finished his new favorite treat and he eased back in his chair.

“The next time there is a Harvest Fest, be sure to let me know, Brother. Granted, I imagine you won't need to since I hope to be getting involved with Smallville myself soon enough,” Tal said.

“Oh? Are you moving forward with that proposal then?” Clark asked.

“Yes, and I suspect I'll be the new owner of the mines by the end of next month, if not sooner,” Tal said, pleased.

“Why are you so interested in the mines?” Lois asked curiously.

“Two reasons. Investment opportunity and familial protection,” he said.

Clark blinked and Lois looked confused.

“Do you know anything about an orange crystal that has some structural similarities to kryptonite?” Tal asked.

“What? No!? What are you talking about?” Clark asked, baffled.

“Smallville has a large collection of what I call x-kryptonite. From what I’ve been able to determine, it’s a naturally occurring compound that accumulated in the mines. It’s rather volatile, susceptible to exploding if exposed to heat and is a potent energy source. Due to its similarity to kryptonite, I feel it prudent to ensure no one else gets their hands on it,” he said. “Admittedly, I also believe that if humans are exposed to it in certain ways it can impart kryptonian abilities to them, at least temporarily.”

Clark’s eyes widened, realizing something else. “Was that how you had planned to. . . .”

Tal looked down guiltily. “Yes, Brother. But as that is not going to happen now, we must ensure this material doesn’t ever fall into the wrong hands.”

Clark nodded. “I completely agree.”

“I think keeping this out of even DoD knowledge would be wise,” Lois stated suddenly. “I can easily imagine what they’d do if they learned such a thing existed.”

Clark nodded grimly. “Tell us what we can do to help, Tal.”

Tal smiled, though his expression was serious. “Thank you, Brother. I will.”

O o O o O

[Thursday Afternoon]

William Darren smiled as Jordan followed him into the stalls. He had been giving him riding and horse handling lessons for about a month now.

Jordan was a good kid. Not that he expected anything less. He was Clark's son after all, but it was always nice to see an example of hope for the next generation.

“You're doing a good job, Jordan. Blackberry likes you more than me now,” Will said as they guided the Clydesdale horse into the grooming stall and secured him.

Jordan smiled shyly as he picked up the curry brush and got to work. Methodically, he brushed Blackberry's coat, knowing where to go slow and where to apply more rigorous pressure.

“Will, could you give me a hand for a moment?” his brother, Nick, or (as most called him now) Doc, asked.

Will looked at Jordan. “I'll be right back.”

Jordan smiled and nodded his understanding before Will went to the neighboring stall.

Blackberry's sister, Acorn, had somehow cut herself the other day and they needed to apply the next round of antibiotic cream. She was usually pretty good, but she always did better when Will rubbed her nose while Nick worked his magic.

Will watched as his brother reached for the tube of cream when he heard Jordan gasp loudly. The brush clattered to the floor.

“Jordan?” he asked in concern as Blackberry gave a concerned neigh and scuffed his hooves.

Will stepped away from Acorn and looked around the divider into the stall, finding Jordan pressed back against the side wall with his hands holding his head in pain.

“D-dad,” Jordan gasped out.

“Jordan, what's wrong?!” Will shouted, rushing around and immediately pulling him out of the stall to hopefully prevent Blackberry from getting spooked.

“Dad!” Jordan called out, a little more clearly but in pain before he just went limp.

“Nick!” Will shouted, horrified by what he was seeing as he helped Jordan to the floor.

The boy was seizing, but that wasn't the scariest part. There were silent red flashes going off in his head, somehow visibly shining out of his ears and through his skull!

Similar to the bright glow at Superman's ears when he had been attacked by Thaddeus Killgrave with a sound weapon.

Nick began to move to help, but then there was a deafening whoosh, a blur of red and blue, and suddenly Superman just materialized!

The Man of Steel, in Smallville, on his farm!

Superman knelt down, staring at Jordan for a split second before scooping him up and holding him close, even as the flashes continued.

“Superman?! Wha–” Will started, but Superman cut him off as he stood up, his cape fanning out behind him.

“Please tell only Ms. Lane I took him.”

And then he disappeared with Jordan in a blur.

O o O o O

Lois smiled as she heard Jon hurry up the stairs to his room, having just returned from Tag's house where they had worked on some homework together. It was nice to see friendships taking hold, especially when said friendships were with kids she actually liked.

Tag Harris was a pleasant kid, and though his family had hit some hard times (like many in Smallville) they were good people doing the best they could. Hopefully with Tal, as Morgan Edge, taking a renewed interest in Smallville, financial situations for many would improve soon. She would hope anyway.

She looked outside, knowing Clark would make a few rounds as Superman before he'd pick Jordan up from his weekly lesson at the Darren Farm, though it had morphed into something more than just horse riding.

Suddenly, the phone rang. Interestingly, it was the groundline instead of her cell.

“Hello?” she answered, half expecting it to be Lana or a shopkeeper from in town wanting to ask Clark something.

‘Lois, this is Will,’ Jordan’s horse riding instructor greeted stiffly. ‘Uh, I don't know how to tell you this, but Jordan just had a seizure and Superman suddenly appeared and took him,’ Will told her.

Lois' heart froze. “Wha– Jordan had a seizure?!”

‘We were in the stalls, tending to the horses, and Jordan gasped. I looked in the stall and he was holding his head. I helped him out as he called out to Clark and then he collapsed with light flashing from his head. A second later, Superman appeared like I said and took him!’ Will explained, his voice a forced calm, but it was a close thing.

“ ‘With light flashing’? You saw light?” she asked, trying to make sense of what he was saying.

‘Yes. Flashes of light shined out from inside his head, like how when Superman had been hit by that sound weapon,’ Will quickly said, desperate for her to understand. ‘He was having some kind of seizure!’

“Okay. Okay. And Superman took him?” Lois asked, her voice strained, but she knew she had to stay calm to be able to process what she was hearing.

Was a power manifesting? If so, which one? Clark had told her that when some had first surfaced for him they had been very jarring, even painful. Was that what was happening here to Jordan?

‘Yes. Superman came and told us to call you. Only you, before he took him,’ Will said, breathing heavily but doing a remarkable job of keeping his voice intelligible and level.

“Okay. Thank you. Thank you for calling me,” Lois said.

‘No problem.’

Lois heard Will swallow and silence rose.

‘Has this happened before?’ Will asked after a moment.

“No,” she said honestly, wondering what Clark was doing with Jordan.

Was Jordan okay? Did he really have a seizure? She was certain they were at the Fortress. Should she call Tal?

‘Do you know where he took Jordan?’ Will tentatively asked.

“Yes,” she admitted.

‘Is there anything we can do?’ Will asked.

“No, just . . . when everything has settled, we'll explain everything.” She took a deep breath, wondering how they should handle what's happened before immediately shifting to damage control. “Who else was there when this happened?”

‘Just me and my brother, Nick,’ he assured. ‘And we won't say anything. We'll wait. I . . . imagine this is . . . complicated?’

Lois exhaled, relieved Smallville was such a tight-knit community. If this had happened in Metropolis, she suspected she would have been learning about it from the news instead of through a private phone call.

“Thank you, Will. We'll be in touch,” she said, wordlessly answering Will's tentative question with an affirmative tone as Jon entered the kitchen.

“Mom?” Jon asked, concerned as Lois hung up.

Lois swallowed. “Jon, come sit down.”

O o O o O

Tal took a moment to review his business schedule. Things were certainly busier since his priorities had changed, as surprising as that was, but things were good. Better than they had ever been.

“Tal! Help!”

His brother’s voice rang so loud and clear that, before he could even think, he immediately shot out of his villa in Italy.

“What is it, Brother?” he asked, stopping at the entrance of Kal-El's fortress, finding his brother waiting for him.

“It's Jordan, his hearing kicked in! Can you bring Mother's crystal? I want her opinion. He had a seizure,” Kal said quickly. Frantically.

He was in his Superman uniform but looked more like Clark than the Man of Steel in that moment.

“Of course.” Tal zipped to his sanctum and retrieved Mother's crystal and quickly returned.

Swiftly, but quietly, he entered the Fortress, coming to Kal and Jordan.

Jordan was laid out on the frigid ground, trembling. Jor-El wasn't anywhere in sight.

“I know it hurts,” Kal said softly, holding Jordan’s hand, “But you must try to focus on one sound.”

Kal looked up at him, and Tal was at a loss of what to say, so instead he went to the podium and inserted their mother's crystal.

She materialized before him and immediately took in her new surroundings and the situation.

“When did this start?” she asked, approaching.

Jordan whimpered.

“Four, five minutes ago,” Kal-El answered, his voice low. “Father said his auditory perception is causing an allodynic response.”

She nodded, agreeing with Jor-El's assessment.

“Can I do something to help with the pain as he learns control? I don't want him to go through what I had,” Kal said.

Tal frowned as he looked at Jordan who was in obvious extreme pain. When Tal's hearing had manifested, he hadn't experienced anything like this. Of course, most of his abilities had surfaced before he had even landed on Earth, while on his ship. He had been in a controlled environment while exposed to the sun and had learned a degree of control long before he had even entered Earth’s atmosphere. His father had wanted him to have every advantage possible.

For once, his father's excessive preparations had spared him from pain.

“Other than limiting auditory stimulation, you could provide distractive stimuli, such as tactile or visual,” she proposed. “Unfortunately, that's all that can be done outside of himself. He will have to learn control, just as I understand you did.”

“What about the imbalance? Is that making it worse?” Kal asked anxiously.

“In this case, the imbalance is beneficial, limiting the allodynic response because the signal pathways are limited in strength,” Lara explained. “This is reducing the imbalance, however.”

“I have something that will help. I'll be right back,” Tal said, before shooting to his home in Australia. He picked up a jacket and noise canceling headphones before returning to Kal and his son.

“Here,” he said, handing them to Kal who immediately put the headphones on Jordan.

“Thank you, Tal,” Kal said as Jordan sagged in vivid relief.

Jordan smiled up at Tal in gratitude and Tal's heart swelled.

O o O o O

Comments