Just because I'm off sick from work, and if I post this tonight I can say I've published 30 works in a year (on a03 at least). Although technically, this is probably my 36th fic because I have one file with 6 different one-shots in it...look, I just wanted the number 30 next to works on my a03 page. thumbsup

Set post Resurrection

Clark held the door open for Lois as they exited the bustling cinema complex. Laughter and lively chatter surrounded them as moviegoers dispersed into the moonlit street. The aroma of buttered popcorn lingered in the air as Clark discarded his empty bucket into the nearby trash can.

Turning to face his partner, Clark inquired, "What did you think?"

Lois made a disapproving face, her eyes rolling. "I think we should have rented Lethal Weapon and watched it at my apartment instead of wasting forty bucks on snacks and a movie called Love Sucks."

Clark nodded in agreement, even as he realized he hadn't paid much attention to the movie. Instead, he had spent the first half stealing glances at Lois, contemplating whether reaching over the armrest to hold her hand would be appropriate.

The rest of the movie he spent slumped in his seat, feeling like a sulking teenager, and thinking about Agent Scardino and his obvious interest in his partner.

Worse than Scardino's interest in Lois was her apparent interest in him, Clark had concluded sometime during the second half of the movie. He had seen how she blushed every time Scardino complimented her. How she craned her neck to catch a last glimpse of him as he left Perry's office.

Clark shook his head dismally, recalling earlier that evening when Scardino had the gall to ask Lois out practically right in front of him.

Surely the idiot could see that he and Lois were—

"Clark?"

He blinked rapidly, his eyes coming into focus on Lois' hand waving inches from his face. "Sorry," he said with an apologetic smile. "Did you say something?"

She dropped her hand, the amused look on her face fading. "Just... did you want to walk me home?" she asked, her voice tinged with hope and uncertainty.

"Of course," he answered immediately. As they turned a corner, the street fell silent, and the only sounds were their soft footsteps as they made their way to her apartment.

Lois nudged his side with her hip, causing a warm sensation to spread through him. "I thought I lost you for a minute," she said playfully.

"You'd never lose me," he replied softly, his eyes on the sidewalk.

She grabbed his arm, forcing him to meet her gaze. "Clark, are you okay?" they stopped, and she looked up at him, unease in her eyes. Her hand moved from his arm to his hand, clasping it in hers.

Looking down at their entwined hands, Clark couldn't help but smile at how effortlessly she had taken his hand in hers while he couldn't even muster the courage to do the same over the course of a two-hour movie.

"Clark?"

He cleared his throat, forcing a smile.

"It's just been a weird week," he confessed quietly.

"Mayson," she nodded understandingly, her eyes briefly lowering before meeting his again. "You want to talk about it?"

He didn't want to talk about Mayson.

"I'm sorry you thought I was ignoring you," he blurted out, surprising himself as he recalled their interrupted conversation at her apartment.

"Oh," she responded in a small voice. "That's okay. Like you said, it's been a weird week."

"You're not yesterday's news," he emphasized, noting a sense of relief seemed to wash over her. "I still want to... um... date." Was that what they were doing? It felt like so much more to him. "I still want us to... see each other. You know, see where things go. Because..." he paused, feeling his heart race. "Just because... I like you." He winced at his own words, feeling his cheeks flush.

Lois smiled shyly, her hand squeezing his. "You're the only person I wanted to be with tonight."

The end

Part of my Tumblr prompt series on a03