I wrote this to include Lois’ thoughts into the world I built. It can be read separately, you don’t need to read breaking point to understand this.
Since today is Friday, I guess this also fits as a contribution to Ficlet Friday.
I hope you enjoy this little piece I wrote, it isn’t beta read.

What a Hero Is Worth
A Commentary by Lois Lane

For nearly two years, Metropolis has been home to a unique individual, a man distinguished from the rest of the world by his extraordinary powers. Yet, it’s not just his abilities that set him apart; he dedicates his time to aiding people locally and globally. In his spare moments, he rescues cats from trees and supports charitable causes in orphanages and hospitals, raising money and giving attention to those who are often overlooked. However, there’s an aspect of this hero that seldom gets discussed: the financial cost of his actions.

It’s true that his rescues have led to some level of destruction, but when a life hangs in the balance, a structure's worth pales in comparison. In his tenure as a resident of Metropolis, he has inadvertently caused damage. The question arises: who should bear the cost of these damages? Should Superman be held accountable?

Yet, any damages incurred during his time here have been relatively minor and are far outweighed by the savings from averted disasters and crises. The question then shifts from who should pay for these damages to how we can quantify the immense savings he provides.

A recent incident saw a rescued individual sue Superman for injuries sustained during the rescue. What can one expect from a man who has the weight of the world on his shoulders? The likely outcome is: nothing. Superman has consistently refused payment for his services, and all contributions to the Superman Foundation are transparently documented and traceable.

Some may wonder whether Superman could simply find gold, silver, or diamonds to cover these costs. However, this raises two issues: firstly, he does not own the land where these resources might be found, which could render such actions as theft; secondly, Superman has no need for material wealth. He doesn’t maintain a home, evidenced by his suits being stored at a friend's house, and he doesn’t require food, though he has expressed enjoyment in eating.

The state of New Troy’s Good Samaritan Act protects rescue workers, medical professionals, and first aiders, yet it fails to extend its support to Superman.

So, what is the worth of a superhero? While his value may be immeasurable, it cannot be quantified monetarily. Instead, it’s reflected in the smiles of children and the collective gratitude we hold for having a friend like him. As we ponder this, let us ask ourselves: can we truly put a price on peace of mind and safety?

Kathryn