It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay!!! You posted it!!!

And aw, poor Clark! mecry

~•~
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'm actually more relieved for Clark than anything else, knowing about that else world. He dodged a serious bullet.

Him having to pretend to stumble and stuff with Martha as they leave is pretty funny though.

A
Freelance Reporter
Online Content
Freelance Reporter
A
Aw, poor Clark. Broken hearted and he can't even drown his sorrows.

bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Blueowl
I'm actually more relieved for Clark than anything else, knowing about that else world. He dodged a serious bullet.

He sure did. Lana was such a nasty character in the show. I think he's not so much sad about being rid of her, but about learning that she'd probably never accept him the way he is.

Originally Posted by AmandaK
Broken hearted and he can't even drown his sorrows.

Yeah 🤣 While writing the Inside Out fic, I was wondering how Clark found out that alcohol doesn't affect him. He doesn't strike me as the type who'd drink a lot and if a beer or two didn't do much for him, he might have shrugged it off as having a high level of tolerance.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Last edited by bakasi; 02/03/24 12:29 PM.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Barbara!

Happy Ficlet Friday. This one’s for Queen of the Capes, who asked me to deliver on a scene I only hinted at in my last Inside Out Ficlet.
/cocks eyebrow/

A flickering neon light above the bar added to Martha’s sense of discomfort.
/cocks second eyebrow/

They were laughing and joking, making lewd comments as Gwen passed them on her way to clear the tables.
Who’s Gwen?

When Clark had still been a child, she’d figured this day might come. But he’d gone through his teens without any incident, and with his powers and a maturity well beyond his age, it had seemed like she’d never have to pick up her drunken son.
Oh…

Clark was almost twice as heavy as a normal man and she barely came up to his chest.
Just tie a rope around his waist and take him home like a balloon animal.

“I never thought I’d see him like this,” Bob remarked.

Martha swallowed. “Neither did I.”
CLARK: Shhhhhh’ doshn’t looooove mee. Yoooo now moommm, Shhhhhh’ sad sooooo. Wwwu’d goooo do de dansss’ with nod meeeee.

He furrowed his brows. “Why? It’s late, Mom. Shouldn’t you be in bed?”
That’s quite a turn from the expected evil

He faced away. “Stone-cold sober, actually.” He laughed, brief, bitter and without any humor. “But it’s not for lack of trying.”
/cocks third eyebrow/

He heaved a long, heavy sigh. “Lana broke up with me, or I broke up with her. Same difference.”
For a moment I thought it was the Luthor nuptials after all.

How could I ever expect her to accept me for who I truly am?”
It’s not meant to be. There’s still brunettes in the pool.

“Ah, no, to Bob you’re certainly not sober,” Martha said. “He gave me a rough estimate of how much you’d had to drink and I tell you, you can’t walk a straight line.”
So, crash into a wall, leave a mess in a corner, and wave goodbye to everyone present?

She glared at him. “Shush now. This is what you get for drinking more than you should!”
laugh

“Isn’t that supposed to be a hangover? Instead I only get to hang over your shoulder.”
That’s cute!

“Trust me, you’re not missing out on anything.”

“Uh, yeah, I do. The blackout.”
rotflol

After reading, the title makes perfect sense clap

What an adorable read, even stone cold sober.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
You have three eyebrows, DarthMichael? And I thought the diffence between us was just the alleged lack of manners on my side of the Alpes wink Your feedback is always a delight. Thank you so much.

Last edited by bakasi; 02/04/24 05:52 PM.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You have three eyebrows, DarthMichael?
laugh The third eye is a side-effect from being able to predict certain sequences in stories angel-devil

👁
👀

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
She crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Clark Jerome Kent, you'll let me drag you out of this bar now. And for your poor father's sake you better make it convincing.”

She stood up and came around to grab Clark's arm. “Bob, could you help me, please?”

Clark groaned. “Geez, Mom, did you have to do that?”

She glared at him. “Shush now. This is what you get for drinking more than you should!”

Sorry Clark, its called the 'walk of shame' and one you do have to participate in for the entire family's sake.

Don't worry, in the long run Lana isn't worth it. Besides there is an entire world out there waiting to be explored. Why would you want to get tied up at such a young age anyway? Hmmm, I'm assuming Clark is about twenty years old? huh

Great story Bakasi! thumbsup

Last edited by Morgana; 02/06/24 09:05 AM. Reason: Edits

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
This is a really fun moment! And poor Martha!

...where Bob, the owner, was drying glasses with a towel.
This is such classic imagery!

But here she was.
Oh, poor Martha! The tone of this really feels like her, too.

“Need a hand to get him to your truck?” Bob asked.
Martha held her breath. The answer was probably yes. But Clark’s incredibly heavy frame might raise some questions she didn’t know how to answer.
Becuase Clark is always so in control, I sometimes forget how big of an issue little, but non-concealable, things like this are for his loved ones. There's really always a little edge of danger there. It's a nice little piece of drama to watch Martha have to work through it.

He snorted. “You needn’t have come. I’m not drunk.”
This is somehow sadder than if he had been drunk.

He heaved a long, heavy sigh. “Lana broke up with me, or I broke up with her. Same difference.”
I think this is actually really sweet. As a collective, we care less about Lana (because Lois is obviously the important romantic lead here), but he's so broken up about it. It really shows off how much he cares about people/relationships.

“Well, there’s little chance of you ever getting a tattoo.”
A wry smile played around his lips.
Good job capturing Martha here. That one made me grin, too!

Clark Jerome Kent, you'll let me drag you out of this bar now.
rotflol It's just such a wonderfully absurd problem!

The blackout.
This is a hilarious last line!

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Good story. Makes me feel sad for this Clark, even if this Lana doesn't seem to be very nice. There is a flip side to the superpowers. (And it isn't just having to run out on Lois.)

I agree with Michael. Martha is perfectly written.

Thanks!

Shallowford

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard