Series TOC

Leave a note!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Love it!!!!

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I first started reading this series I thought; how could H.G. Wells stick them in the past like this? shock What a difficult task to keep all their actions of the past the same rather than make any changes. Talk about walking a tightrope!

“Yes. It’s a change – a big change,” Clark admitted. “But it’s not a bad thing. Your career has been accelerated from the start. We’ve known it would be since you were ten. You couldn’t just pretend you didn’t already have eight plus years of professional writing experience under your belt. You carry that with you. And you’ve made it work for you. You won your first Kerth when you were little more than a cub reporter.”

“Only because I didn’t let Claude steal my story this time,” Lois pointed out.

Clark nodded. “Right, and we agreed that some changes were necessary.”

Yeah, this changes was truly important to make. Lois didn't deserve to have that creep steal her story. Bravo!

Lois finally allowed herself to feel excited. She laughed and hugged him back. Resting her head on his shoulder she asked, “Will you come with me to the awards dinner?”

Yikes...

Enjoying every line of this series. Please keep going. grovel

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Blogger
Blogger
Love that Lois has her Pulitzer!

If I was L&C I would just say screw it and get on with their lives together, what's the worst that can happen? 😂

Speaking of the worst....what's going to happen when Lex starts sniffing around Lois?

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Amanda!
Small changes can lead to big consequences – but not all of them are bad.
LOIS: What do you mean that the freelance article by Clark Kent got nominated for a Kerth instead of my story?
CLARK: /prepares himself a couch to sleep on/

Specific reasons will be explained in another ficlet but, suffice it to say, they were trying to prevent their relationship from leading them to make even bigger changes to the timeline than they had already made.
After their latest pregnancy scare, Lois decided to take things slow?

Oh, and this one is a bit longer than 1000 words. Sorry, not sorry.
shock

She didn’t know what to do. Could anything be done? Probably not. It was already there, already decided. But it wasn’t supposed to happen. Not yet.
I have no idea what’s going on.

. She was on to something big – and not something she’d done the first time around either.
Eeep? Gun running?

Those stories were almost boring. They had to be written of course, so she buckled down and did them over again. If they happened to be better than they were before, that was hardly her fault.
laugh
LOIS: Was that the one where I almost died in a cab-falling-off-a-bridge accident or the one with the subway derailment? Oh, nope, it’s the one with the Sweeny Todd impersonator! How could I forget that. It ruined my favorite sweater…

And if those facts happened to make their way into her stories now, well… she could just blame H.G. Wells.
“Lex Luthor indicted as mob boss after failed bombing of Messenger space transport”

She didn’t stop to wonder what they were about.
Kerth? No. Pulitzer?

while vaguely considering what to order for dinner,
Now she can order Chinese takeout served on a Clark.

that she’d seen the package again and decided to investigate.
Cute phrasing.

They hadn’t seen each other or even spoken on the phone in nearly eight years.
Eeeeeeep!

He had been right. There were too many temptations, too many moments when they had argued for ‘just a little change,’
laugh
CLARK: It won’t be a big change. Just three minutes my buddies tell me.
LOIS: Plus nine months, my sex-ed teacher said.

and too many big changes just waiting to be grasped.
/points out quote from Seinfeld by Teri Hatcher’s character/

And she had needed the time and the space to rediscover herself as someone who didn’t need anyone else to be able to rise to the top.
Awwwww, poor dear. “Been there, done that” no longer works.

No big changes. Nothing they couldn’t just blame on H.G. Wells.
No early Superman. No college freshman winning her first Kerry Award.
LOIS: And I still stick to my story that Claude getting kicked between his legs by a mule was not my fault. I mean, how could I have even engineered it?

Clark dropped his hands, looking confused now. “Fine? But you called my mom. She said you needed to talk to me, that it was urgent.”
laugh

It was like coming home. She was surrounded by his scent, which had long since faded from his jersey.
It’s also why she snagged it, huh? We are going to get that, right? I’m pretty sure they did one particular change before taking a time out and Lois overpacked while gathering her things in his bedroom back in Smallville.

“But, Clark, don’t you see? This is huge.”

“Of course it’s huge! It’s a Pulitzer!”
/points to earlier remarks/
And you know, given that the Pulitzer is a medal or coin, the envelope was a dead giveaway.

“No! I mean yes. It is a Pulitzer. That’s the problem. I’m not supposed to win a Pulitzer yet.
“yet”. “yet” is cute!

What am I gonna do?”
Go to the award ceremony with her new fiancé?

and sat down on her gray, leather sofa. Clark raised an eyebrow at the furniture but didn’t question it
laugh

to that cabinet over there where you hide your four Kerths.
Okay, she’s worried about a Pulitzer, but didn’t sleep with Claude.
LOIS: Your point being…?

And then you are going to revel in the fact that you are the youngest investigative journalist to win a Pulitzer.”
At least until their super powered little one will get one during her junior year in college.

“Only because I didn’t let Claude steal my story this time,” Lois pointed out.

Clark nodded. “Right, and we agreed that some changes were necessary.”
LOIS: Of course they were. Me getting arrested for emasculation just wouldn’t do.

“Yes, even then. This isn’t completely life-altering. It’s just an award, Lois.”

Lois looked at him like he’d suddenly grown two heads. “Did you really just say that?”
laugh

“Will you come with me to the awards dinner?”

Clark stilled and sobered a bit. “I don’t know, Lois. I’m not technically supposed to be in Metropolis until September. I shouldn’t even be here now.”
LOIS: Perry, you know how a Pulitzer allows me to find employment anywhere I’d like?
PERRY: Uh-huh?
LOIS: Then I’d like you to meet my new permanent partner, Clark Kent. It a so great you decided to hire him on the spot.

Also: /pst/ Clark arrived in May, It’s confirmed during the Supermann episode.

“It’s just one night,” she argued.
That’s what she said after Clark’s high school prom.

“But we agreed that we should stay apart – to rediscover ourselves, to prevent really big changes.”
Lois is tired of rediscovering herself by herself.

“We’ll just tell them the truth.” Lois shrugged. “You’re a childhood friend, visiting the big city for the weekend and I wanted to show you a good time.”
CAT: Good time. Right. /takes second look at Lois’s evening dress/ You’re serious!

It was another great fun one!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
AmandaK Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
A
Michael -
Reading your comments is like watching Rifftrax. Always so much fun.
Everything I read about pulitzers said they just send out certificates. I didn't know about the coin/medal.

I must've missed that part about him arriving in May. I went by episode air dates which seemed to line up well with the heat wave episode airing in November.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Amanda,
always glad to entertain!

Rechecked Wikipedia and apparently only the Public Service Category is awarded the gold medal. It's the image I know from seeing the Pulitzer mentioned in the news.

And yeah, I only learned about May from reading fic, too. It's at the start of the Supermann episode, when the old time calendar triggers the cryo units.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
AmandaK Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
A
Huh, yeah I just went back to the episode and see what you mean. Screenwriters made an oops with that one though because the beginning of season 1 so clearly takes place in the fall. Between the Smallville corn festival which would most likely take place during fall harvest and then the heat wave in November - unless there is a huge time skip between the pilot and the rest of season 1which doesn't seem to flow well. I dunno. I'm gonna just stick with him showing up in September.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Loving this series. And a Pulitzer. Way to go, Lois.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I've been so delayed on reading lately, but I've been really looking forward to seeing how this series continues!

She’d been busy on a story, meeting source after source, compiling notes and data.
So close to getting back in sync with Clark! So exciting!! clap

And if those facts happened to make their way into her stories now, well… she could just blame H.G. Wells.
:rotfl: Exactly how she should think about it!

changing into comfortable sweatpants and an old Smallville High jersey
Awwww. This is great evidence of all the Small Changes, too.

There were too many temptations, too many moments when they had argued for ‘just a little change,’ and too many big changes just waiting to be grasped.
This is utterly crushing.

And she had needed the time and the space to rediscover herself as someone who didn’t need anyone else to be able to rise to the top.
...and this is such a wonderful revelation.

It had hurt so much.
Oof, that's a punch tot he gut.

She stepped into his arms and he willingly embraced her. It was like coming home. She was surrounded by his scent, which had long since faded from his jersey. His arms felt sure and strong around her. His heartbeat pounded just a little fast in her ear as he came down from the adrenaline rush which had brought him to her apartment.
Awwww...

...and sat down on her gray, leather sofa.
OMG, she really HAS grown as a person! lol

"...It’s just an award, Lois.”
Lois looked at him like he’d suddenly grown two heads. “Did you really just say that?”
Clark grinned. “Okay, it’s not just an award. It’s a Pulitzer!” He swept her into another hug. “I’m so proud of you!”
This is such a sweet way of disarming her credulity/trap.

"...You have a tux, don’t you?”
Clark rolled his eyes. “I can get one..."
Aw! Love seeing this callback here!

“Did you really think you were going to be able to walk into your interview in September and pretend we don’t already know each other? Like I’m just going to treat you like a hack from Nowheresville?..."
This is another SUPER SWEET example of how they're writing history in those little ways. I love that you're writing them into a healthier relationship. It's so rare we get the benefit of hindsight!

This whole series has entirely charming, and this installation doesn't disappoint!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard