#299529 03/24/24 10:58 PM
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Story is here.

About a year ago I read an old magazine scan which had an interview with Dean Cain and the prop ring that was used in the series was discussed. The prop master didn’t have one available in Dean’s size so they either had to go buy one and gave it to him after production wrapped, or he purchased one so he could keep it for future productions. That got me thinking, and this was the result. This ficlet is much more upbeat than the original idea I had over a year ago and has languished on my computer since then.

Toomi8 #299532 03/25/24 10:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a delightful ficlet! The backstory is even more intriguing. It was especially neat to read the byplay in the bullpen, it felt like being there. Thanks!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Toomi8 #299536 03/25/24 02:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, this was so sweet!

~•~
Toomi8 #299543 03/25/24 06:17 PM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
What a sweet fic! I hope Clark gets to wear a real ring soon. Thank you!

Toomi8 #299548 03/26/24 11:50 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Such a cute fic. I love how he both enjoys and hates wearing that ring. You'll get to wear it for real one day, Clark. Just don't lose hope.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Toomi8 #299577 03/29/24 11:26 AM
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Thanks for the comments blush

Toomi8 #299810 04/30/24 03:19 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Toomi!
Clark needs a ring to pose as Lois’s husband.
HiM?

There were only a handful of rings to begin with, and out of those some of them far too outlandish for consideration, and most looked too small.
He went to Rings’r’Us at the corner of Fifths and Galveston? It’s a nice little trench coat (sic) just across the way from Suicide Slum.

“Talk to the Chief,” the clerk suggested. “You can go and buy one, then expense it later.”
Oh, they have an undercover department? Like in NCIS LA?

“Lois?”

“She has one of her own. Some of the undercover reporters have a ring of their own to carry around so they don’t have to waste time signing one out.
rotflol

LOIS: /stares at ring on outstretched finger/ Mrs. Super Man. Hm… Mrs. Super Woman. Nah… Ms. Super Woman? Oh… Superwoman! /swoons/

“You can take that off now,” Lois remarked, pointing at the ring on Clark’s finger.

He laughed nervously and took it off, placing it in his pants pocket.

“Do you need to return it?”
Wouldn’t want the crew to joke about them getting hitched, would she?

“So it does come off!” Cat remarked snarkily as she breezed by. “I was beginning to think you were married to it.”
Cat! You can’t refer to Lois as an ‘it’.

“Ignore her,” Lois hissed at Clark. “She’s just jealous.”
That Lois got to have a honeymoon with Clark? Or that he got her extremely wet? How about the big explosion Clark had as he was sitting on the couch?

Their assignment, which had necessitated them both being together constantly and in the same suite for several days, hadn’t shown him anything new about her,
So, he did spy on her before that fateful honeymoon! That super naughty rascal!

“CK!”

Clark’s pleasant train of thought was interrupted as Jimmy bounded enthusiastically towards them.

“You finally took your ring off! You were wearing that thing everywhere!”
Okay, why are they all so excitable?

“No,” Clark answered, his mind running in many different directions. He had taken his glasses off when he slept, but had left the ring on. Had Lois seen him sleeping, but he hadn’t heard her?
Doesn’t matter. Superman’s not married, so the ring should be enough of a disguise.

He knew that he wasn’t ready to marry anyone, even Lois, since there was a challenging discussion that would have to take place long before he asked anyone to share his crazy life.
So, if Lois proposed marriage, he would decline?
CLARK: help peep
LOIS: I love you. Please marry me, Superman.
CLARK: wallbash

Next time he wore one, he wanted it to be a real one.
Real ring. Wrong Lois.

Very adorable!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard