T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Fic is here.

AITA The Clark Kent Version

This ‘fic’ is set up a little differently than regular fics and I beg your indulgence. Reddit has these fantastic AITA (Am I The Asshole) threads that I enjoy, probably more than I should, and hopefully it’ll make someone grin. Read through, and if you want to participate, this is where you comment!

Acronyms:

AITA - Am I The Asshole?
YTA - You’re The Asshole
NTA - Not The Asshole
ESH - Everyone Sucks Here
NMI - Need More Information
OP - Original poster

So FoLC’s… here is your moment. In this thread (please not in the story post) add your comment and I’ll add it to the fic post. Please use the quote tags to frame your comment so I can determine the difference between your comment and genuine feedback. Your comment must include a judgement.

For feedback, it’s ok if you hate it. It’s something different and a bit on the strange side.

Last edited by Toomi8; 11/03/23 09:39 PM.
Freelance Reporter
Online Content
Freelance Reporter
Jajajajaja estuvo divertido. Hay videos en los que leen los mensajes de reddit y van como en un juego saltando bloques... hasta eso me imaginé.

Me encantó. Gracias.

1 member likes this: Toomi8
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ah, I just love this!!!

rotflol

I think Jack's response is my favorite!!!

u/Bek

Sounds like a big and important secret, I'll give you that. But if she's as special to you as you say (and enough that you'd ask her to marry you!), there's no excuse for not telling her before you proposed. Just sayin'!

YTA

(EEP, hope I did that right!!!!)

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thanks for continuing Ficlet Friday. This was delightful.

u/ bakasi

If the secret could put her in danger, I think you are right waiting to tell her until you were sure that she was in for the long term.

But perhaps you should have told her before you went as far as to propose.
NETA (Not entirely the asshole)

And wait a moment, did you say you froze and then revived her?

YTA

Last edited by bakasi; 11/04/23 06:22 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by CarolD
Jajajajaja estuvo divertido. Hay videos en los que leen los mensajes de reddit y van como en un juego saltando bloques... hasta eso me imaginé.

Me encantó. Gracias.

Thank you! I haven't heard of these videos but I'll have a look for them.

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by SuperBek
Ah, I just love this!!!

rotflol

I think Jack's response is my favorite!!!

u/Bek

Sounds like a big and important secret, I'll give you that. But if she's as special to you as you say (and enough that you'd ask her to marry you!), there's no excuse for not telling her before you proposed. Just sayin'!

YTA

(EEP, hope I did that right!!!!)

It's perfect! Thanks, I've added it to the fic.

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by bakasi
Thanks for continuing Ficlet Friday. This was delightful.

u/ bakasi

If the secret could put her in danger, I think you are right waiting to tell her until you were sure that she was in for the long term.

But perhaps you should have told her before you went as far as to propose.
NETA (Not entirely the asshole)

And wait a moment, did you say you froze and then revived her?

YTA

Thanks for reading! Glad I could help hold up the tradition. Thanks for your quote and I've added it to the fic.

B
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
B
Haha, loved this! Not familiar with the REddit-tradition, but I had a lot of fun reading along!

So, in this regard:

u/BlindPassenger

I think there are two major points that have to be considered here.
One is that you said that this secret of yours is potentially dangerous knowledge, and that, more precisely, your GF would be in danger as soon as she is aware of that information. Now, I don't think that makes a lot of sense. BEcause, see, knowledge of secretive stuff is only then risky when A: the perosn in the know can't keep their mouth shut or B: someone else is aware that perosn knows what they know. So, you said you trust that perosn completely, which implies she would not tell your secret to anyone, and you also said you haven't told anyone else. Therefor, I don't see a possibility how knowing that secret would bring any danger to your GF since no one else would know something in what she knows has changed. The only person who MIGHT be endagered thorugh this step would, in fact, be YOU...that is, if you have doubts your GF will not spill the information...which means you either don't trust her as much as you said, or you're a coward in this regard. So, YTA.

The second thing that comes to mind is the question of relevance. Because naturally, everyone has a right to some privacy, including some personal stuff that you don't necessarily have to tell people, not even your partner in some cases. However, I'd say (and that's just my opinion maybe) that only goes so long as this "secret" of yours is simply about you and will not influence the relationship of you two. As in, the question you have to answer in this regard is: Does the secret have an effect on how the GF will feel about you in a major way? And more importantly, will "the secret" affect your life and relationship together in some form? Because if the latter is the case, your GF absolutely needs to have the right to decide on her own if she can deal with that baggage in a relationship. It's a decision SHE has to make for herself, you can't just decide for the both of you that she is "the one", propose, then, say, she agrees, and then later come up with, lets call it "additional conditions". So, if it's that big a secret that will have a major influence on yor potentila life as a couple, then, again, YTA.

That said...Now she apparently already knows, and said no. I think that's fair if the secret is really that big a deal. Now, what you have to find out is the following: Did she say no because she's mad that you didn't tell her...or did she say no because the secret, itself,made her reject you? Because in the first case, you might still have a chance to get things fixed, although I'm sure it'll require lots of hard work and some groveling from you. But if it's the second, you might just need to accept that a relationship for you two is not meant to be an dlive with that reality. It will be better for the both of you in the long run.

And that's my two cents.

PS: Did I read that correctly that she died and came back...somehow? WTH is going on in your lives? Like seriously!

End quote

Uh, hope I did that correctly...And sorry for the long rant, but that was the perfect opportunity to get some of my frustrations out there.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by BlindPassenger
Haha, loved this! Not familiar with the REddit-tradition, but I had a lot of fun reading along!

So, in this regard:

u/BlindPassenger

I think there are two major points that have to be considered here.
One is that you said that this secret of yours is potentially dangerous knowledge, and that, more precisely, your GF would be in danger as soon as she is aware of that information. Now, I don't think that makes a lot of sense. BEcause, see, knowledge of secretive stuff is only then risky when A: the perosn in the know can't keep their mouth shut or B: someone else is aware that perosn knows what they know. So, you said you trust that perosn completely, which implies she would not tell your secret to anyone, and you also said you haven't told anyone else. Therefor, I don't see a possibility how knowing that secret would bring any danger to your GF since no one else would know something in what she knows has changed. The only person who MIGHT be endagered thorugh this step would, in fact, be YOU...that is, if you have doubts your GF will not spill the information...which means you either don't trust her as much as you said, or you're a coward in this regard. So, YTA.

The second thing that comes to mind is the question of relevance. Because naturally, everyone has a right to some privacy, including some personal stuff that you don't necessarily have to tell people, not even your partner in some cases. However, I'd say (and that's just my opinion maybe) that only goes so long as this "secret" of yours is simply about you and will not influence the relationship of you two. As in, the question you have to answer in this regard is: Does the secret have an effect on how the GF will feel about you in a major way? And more importantly, will "the secret" affect your life and relationship together in some form? Because if the latter is the case, your GF absolutely needs to have the right to decide on her own if she can deal with that baggage in a relationship. It's a decision SHE has to make for herself, you can't just decide for the both of you that she is "the one", propose, then, say, she agrees, and then later come up with, lets call it "additional conditions". So, if it's that big a secret that will have a major influence on yor potentila life as a couple, then, again, YTA.

That said...Now she apparently already knows, and said no. I think that's fair if the secret is really that big a deal. Now, what you have to find out is the following: Did she say no because she's mad that you didn't tell her...or did she say no because the secret, itself,made her reject you? Because in the first case, you might still have a chance to get things fixed, although I'm sure it'll require lots of hard work and some groveling from you. But if it's the second, you might just need to accept that a relationship for you two is not meant to be an dlive with that reality. It will be better for the both of you in the long run.

And that's my two cents.

PS: Did I read that correctly that she died and came back...somehow? WTH is going on in your lives? Like seriously!

End quote

Uh, hope I did that correctly...And sorry for the long rant, but that was the perfect opportunity to get some of my frustrations out there.

That's perfect! And glad you got some frustrations out smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Toomi!

It’s an interesting experiment clap I’m not sure I can give much direct feedback with snark and irony this time, so I’ll do user replies instead hyper

IronyLover2374

OP, you should have just let her die. It would have saved you from a lot of heartache. She does not appreciate you. Find someone else to date.

Seriously, everyone has secrets. It’s normal. Even the darn nicest guy you will ever meet has secrets. If she can’t accept that, that’s her problem, not yours. It’s good you found out now how much maintenance she is.

NTA

LeftAtTheAlter94

I had the very same experience once. I was going to give her the world but she kept digging and digging and when she found out some details about my life that I wanted to share with her only after we were married, she left me at the altar! At. The. Altar.

I recommend Verdi’s Rigoletto with “La donna è mobile”, best enjoyed to at the Scala in Milano.

NTA

RalphingBudda

MODERATOR – Comment was removed. Contained only vitriol and misogynist ranting that violated the standards of this community. And publicly asking the OP for the phone number of his girlfriend is just plain tasteless. One more such post and you are banned for life.

ExpressionistFarmgirl

I can’t believe some of the sentiments shared in this discussion. Were you raised by wolves? Of course she’s upset. Asking someone to marry you means that you plan to entrust them with your life and your future. You don’t start off by lying to them. Now go and bring her home-cooked chocolate chip cookies. Made from scratch! PM me if you need a recipe.

YTA

FarmerJon

I don’t think I have seen a bigger mess since that tornado in ’78. Go and buy her flowers and beg for her forgiveness. It might take a couple of tries though. Those cookies also sound like a great idea. I think I’ll send a message to ExpressionistFarmgirl myself. My wife is always on the look-out for new recipes.

YTA

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Woohoo! Thanks! I will add those.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Just found this and I love it!! I'm not on Reddit but I love seeing such posts shared on other sites grin The concept is so fresh and fun, and everyone's responses are brilliant!! BlindPassenger and Darth Michael especially, terrific job!

I'll see if I can think of something to add!

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Blogger
Blogger
This was hilarious! 😆
Sorry, Clark…er, I mean…HackFromKansas, but I’m firmly in the YTA camp.

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ahhhh these were so good! LOL! I know Toomi showed me the original, and it's such an awesome idea! Made even more awesome by the folc additions!

BlindPassenger's was the rant we alllllll needed! lol

And Michael... Lex's reply was brilliance! rotflol

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OMW how did I miss this the first time around? rotflol

~•~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard