Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
P

Last edited by SuperBek; 01/22/24 04:23 PM.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
First fic-a-thon fic posted! party

His voice was quiet, gentle…actually, it was a bit somber, matching her mood.
Jimmy! I love that the king of putting his foot into his own mouth is really showing up for Lois when it matters! Such a great choice to give him this awesome emotional layer.

“No way!” he said firmly, and it set off a little spark inside her, reigniting her fire.
Yay Jimmy! clap

She straightened out her skirt and blouse and grabbed her purse, feeling motivated. Determined. “I’m going to get Clark.”
You can really feel the energy in this line!

Lois cleared her throat, realizing she’d been silent…they’d all been silent for an unusually long time. Martha had been watching her watch Clark, and Jonathan too, though his gaze fell to the floor when Lois noticed. There was a weird energy in the air, and it was extremely unlike Clark not to have even greeted her.
Oh, yikes. This really says more about what Clark is feeling than anything else could. The Kents showing up to handle him with kid gloves... sad

“Yes!” Martha said loudly, startling Lois. “Clark should work! With you. To figure out why Superman isn’t responsible for this heat wave—he just can’t be. I refuse to believe it!”
“I’m glad you agree, Martha!” Lois said, finally feeling a bit cheered again. At least Clark’s mother was also on her side. “Everyone else has already written him off, but I’m not going to let that happen, not after all he’s done for Metropolis.”
Martha made a peculiar noise next to Lois. Almost a gasp, maybe? When she looked over at the woman, Martha put a hand on Lois’s arm, squeezing gently. “Thank you, Lois…” It seemed like she wanted to say more, and even as caring a person as Martha was, Lois was surprised to see the sheen of tears in her eyes.
Oh, I really love them together. And I know that Lois is only in half of this conversation, but I just love that they're both getting what they need anyway. It really pulls at the heartstrings.

The Superman action figure.
mecry Punch to the gut!

and it’s…killing him that he might be putting people at risk…people he cares very much about…” His voice was thready now
OMG, this whole section is just so gut-wrenching!

She knew him well enough to know that the next words out of his mouth would be…
“Are you okay?”
I LOVE this structural set-up! So fun!

Feelings she’d never seen him exhibit toward Superman. In fact—
lol That's great! This is so delightfully, delicately done!

I love how this whole thing sets them up to launch into the rest of this investigation together!! It feels SO in character for Lois to just pull him in to action, too! Really satisfying to read! hyper

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The Superman doll from Man of Steel bars was a perfect solution for the miniaturized Superman prompt. I loved how Clark is sitting on his couch and staring at the doll, so deeply affected by the situation. And then Lois comes to the rescue. It's funny how she thinks that Clark and Superman might be a couple and how she then guesses the truth, but doesn't let Clark know about it. Instead she gets him to help her and thus helps him. Great scene.

I'm guessing KSaraSara.

Thanks so much for writing

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So much to say, but I should at least try to stick to a template at least until Ficathon is over...

*Ahem*

I like that Lois goes to visit Cark instead of him coming to say Goodbye .
The part where Martha and Jonathan ping-pong off each other made me feel Entertained. The part where Lois figures it out was A pleasant twist on the episode.

*whew*. Okay, now for guesses:
As soon as Martha showed up, I thought of KSaraSara, and that would also account for the length...

However....
When the door snicked
"Snick" is a sound effect associated with Wolverine's claws, and Wolverine is Canadian. So this must have been her twin from up north: LoveTVFan!!!

LoveTVFan, Final Answer.

~•~
Columnist
Columnist
This was such a sweet story! I love the fact that Lois refused to just accept that Clark had given up and Clark slipping up SO many times when he tries to tell Lois that he feels boxed in is absolutely perfect. All the characterisations are spot on and in my opinion this is done far better than the actual episode.

I absolutely loved this story.

And given how much it tugged on the heartstrings, I have to guess that KSaraSara wrote this as it's right up her alley.

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Features Writer
Features Writer
Clark's despair was palpable cry
So glad Lois came over, and I loved how Martha urged her on as subtly as she did rotflol

And Lois catching the slips from Clark and putting the clues together before becoming hardcore determined to help Clark :3, and the last line was perfect grin

As for my guess, maybe bakasi?

T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Awww... this was a great addition to the episode!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Author!

Disclaimer: there’s guesses all throughout. If you haven’t guessed yourself yet, beware!

No Small Thing

Lois sat at her desk
No author note. That precludes KSaraSara. If it’s funny, it could be Queenie.

Lois sat at her desk, listening to the dull hum of the fans running all over the newsroom. The sound was almost calming—the white noise maybe more soothing than the cool air from their blades. The bare-bones night shift worked around her—writing and editing and layout and all the other day-to-day stuff they did to get the paper out in the morning. And their presence kind of made it feel like other people cared too, that she wasn’t the only one left in Metropolis who still believed in Superman, the only one who cared about proving that he wasn’t the cause of this heat wave after all. But deep down, she knew they were just doing their jobs.
Not Queenie.

. She was tired and heartbroken enough that it didn’t even startle her when Jimmy came up behind her. Then again, he was calling her name quietly, so maybe that was why his presence hadn’t come as a surprise.
Awww. It does not feel like the Saras or Evie. Bakasi, BlueOwl, or Toomi perhaps?

She looked up at him, and she could see from his expression—sympathetic and tentative—that he felt bad for having bothered her in the first place.
There’s dashes. A lot of dashes. Need to check who does a lot of dashes. I got an inkling though. This was so easy when the submission with the dead Jimmy and the bald Lois meant it was Tank doing the deed. /checks fics/ KSaraSara does many m-dashes. And Bakasi uses a different dash-style.

Heck, even Clark had disappeared, hadn’t even shown up at the courthouse to report on the verdict or to support Superman.
He’s out buying chocolate for Lois since he can now court her without Big Blue interrupting them.

report on the verdict or to support Superman. Maybe…maybe…
“Jimmy…”
A missing line break. Sometimes I find extra ones with KSaraSara. But a missing one… Hmm… /tries to remember/ (sorry, did not mean to beta, but it is a clue!)

The crowd reacted with surprise and relief. It was all over. […] They say the Man of Steel is invulnerable. I don’t think so.
Ooooh, I know who wrote this!

. Clark’s writing was evocative, emotional—it always had been, but this was…more.
There’s also a bunch of eclipses.

And she wasn’t going to let her partner sit at home and mope about it!
Fired up Lois!

I need to catalogue the section separators. /some time later, after reading story and checking styles/ okay, KSaraSara uses three or five, so it’s possible and not even a false trail.

What she hadn’t been expecting was for Martha Kent
That’s new, Martha being here, isn’t it?

She couldn’t see it from this angle, but she could see from his posture and tell from the fact he hadn’t even so much as looked up at her entrance that this thing with Superman was affecting him far more than the article had indicated.
Relatively long sentence structure. Perfectly fine, but another possible clue.

“Clark didn’t mention you’d be visiting.”
They wanted to enjoy a nice summer vacation!

Jonathan piped up behind Martha. “This close to Thanksgiving…and with the heat wave…Martha wanted to, ah, go shopping…the malls here are wonderful for—”
/points at earlier remark on ellipses dashing through the snow/

“So if you had anything you needed to talk to Clark about…work or whatever…or…” Martha said, her voice dropping to almost conspiratorial levels as she eyed Lois pointedly for reasons unknown.
Why does Martha think Lois knows?
LOIS: Knows what?

Also, ellipses without comma in speech, also matches KSaraSara’s application of the style manual.

“Yes!” Martha said loudly, startling Lois. “Clark should work! With you. To figure out why Superman isn’t responsible for this heat wave—he just can’t be. I refuse to believe it!”
Finally someone else who’s not afraid to go toe to toe with her son?

As she got closer, she realized what he was holding, and she gasped, her hand coming up to cover her mouth.
The Superman action figure.
Huh, now how did he get that doll from Superman...?

“I’m… He—he’s leaving Metropolis…”
MARTHA: The reason I need Lois to slap him over the head.

. “I’m—he’s a solar conductor, Lois
Now, if thermal radiation would just work like electric potentials, that would mean something. Those scientists probably won the Knobel Price for Physics for that insight into thermodynamics.

“He can’t, Lois!” Clark cried, his voice insistent, desperate as he looked at her. “Don’t you see? It’s not safe for him to stay…and it’s…killing him that he might be putting people at risk…people he cares very much about…” His voice was thready now and his eyes still watery, his eyes falling back to his hands clasped in front of him, and all of it cut at her heart. “He doesn’t have a choice.”
You’re doing great desperation!

And—oh! Oh…I-I…” She narrowed her eyes just a bit, tilting her head and looking at him differently. “Clark…are you…?”

His head jerked up, his eyes darting up to find hers and looking a bit wild or…fearful? “Am I…?”
Superman? Nicely done revelation clap

Both of them had been openly flirtatious with her, and neither of them seemed to be the type to be anything other than committed and honest…
Yes, one honest man taking an interest in her might be called sheer luck. Two honest men… that’s impossible! There’s also likely no two honest men in her age bracket in Metropolis.

“Lois?” The wild in his eyes had died down, and now he seemed more worried about her. “You kinda went from full babble-mode to…nothing…”
clap

Even though he’d been the one almost inconsolable just minutes ago. But now she was upset and he was Clark so of course he’d now be worried about her instead of himself.
Awww

And she had no idea what that meant nor why her mind was on this wild tangent, thinking that he and Superman were lovers or something…
shock Okay, I really need to style check KSaraSara. Unless someone is being devious. Also, you guys do remember that I didn’t participate so adding all my tells isn’t gonna throw people off the trail. It does muddy the waters quite a bit, though. It could work against me. Hmm… sneaky author.

Feelings she’d never seen him exhibit toward Superman. In fact—
She hasn’t seen them together at all, really.

Clark’s brow furrowed as he seemed to pause and frown, looking at her closely. “Lois, you’re starting to worry me… Are you okay, really? Do you need me to make you some tea? I probably should have offered before. I have this great blend that I got when I was in China and—”
Alcohol. In a shot glass.

She flexed her fingers impatiently, indicating he should take her hand already.
laugh

She tried to sound open, curious, anything but mad and hurt and all of the other emotions that were running through her mind.
Awww… trying to be supportive!

Nope, right now she needed Clark Kent, investigative reporter—her partner—to help her figure out how she would get him to stay, to know that it wasn’t his fault.
She’s being a great not-a-girlfriend.

Because Metropolis needed him.

She needed him.

He needed her.

And she just had to get him to see that.
Gaaaawww… This was a beautiful story with a fun revelation that fits the not-a-revelation. Sneaky!

Miniaturized Clark/Superman (can be physically smaller or younger, how is up to you)
Oh that’s priceless!

-Hurt/Comfort
Sorry I didn’t extra highlight that in the text. I did notice!

Excessive Pettiness (from either Lois or Clark)
laugh oh that’s priceless!

Hmm…gut says the prompts might be Queenie. She doesn’t like Lex Leather and some of those prompts are written very snarky.

As for the author, I’m now convinced it’s
KSaraSara

Even though you did not have Clark tough Lois’s lower back even once as he guides her through a door. This and the lack of heartbeat-listening, you got around nicely by doing all from Lois’s POV. Which in and of itself should be another clue. And if this is the wrong guess, I guess I have just made a complete Jimmy out of myself laugh

wave Michael

Edit: reading the other FDK, mine feels...lacking? I really need to start quoting more laugh

Last edited by Darth Michael; 01/07/24 11:17 AM.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
B
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
B
A very emotional, deep dive into Clark's feelings after the whole Heat-scandal during MOSB. It's really not just about whether or not he is actually responsible for this whole thing (although he does of course worry about is. Like he even has powers he cannot "not" use, so to say. He's so caught up in this spiral he can't see how unrealistic it is that would be the reason, especially since he has ued his powers for YEARS and neverhappened something like this - which is of course a detail Lex doesn't know.) It is, really, about how the poeple turned against him so quickly so wholly. The mini-Superman statue is a good proof of this. I also think the true reason he left Metropolis is not really the heatwave but to get away form all this hurt the neglection of the people caused to him.
It was interesting to see this from Lois "outsider" POV, who is confused and doesn't understands why this is so personal for Clark, trying to figure things out, but still be there for her partner in their shared pain.
I also like how, in the end, it's left a little ambigous what is the secret Lois thinks to have figured out this time. Sure, it is (most likely) the right guess this time - but it could also be another false conclusion. It's a nice way to let that open here so everyone can have their own preferred read.

Guesses...hrm...It's a very angsty, emotional bit, this one. Qualifies a few authors, some go out though because of style...I considered KSaraSAra but somehow it doesn't feel like her in some parts, so dark and lacking her usual fluyy bits...although the presence of Martha...argh. Hrm, I'..will go with JAdedEvie, whose style I've not that solid as of now, and stick with that for the moment.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
I liked the reveal at the end and a clever twist on the 'miniaturized Clark' prompt.

I'm guessing.... JadedEvie or Bakasi.

Last edited by Toomi8; 01/14/24 02:15 PM.
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
I LOVE how Lois figured it out but didn't let on that she knew. And I really like how supportive Lois is. Great story.

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
This story was great! I think lovetvfan wrote it! I'll be back later with better fdk!

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
“Ah yes, well…” Martha started, trailing off, her eyes casting about as though she didn’t actually know why they’d come…or as though Clark really was sick and she couldn’t or wouldn’t say.

Jonathan piped up behind Martha. “This close to Thanksgiving…and with the heat wave…Martha wanted to, ah, go shopping…the malls here are wonderful for—”

“Right!” Martha said, raising a finger. “Christmas shopping! Can’t be too early!” She turned to get her purse off the coat rack. “Well, right now we’re too early because the stores are closed, but Jonathan and I were just about to…”

“Go grab a late dinner…” Jonathan added, the two of them seeming to ping pong off of each other, and she wasn’t quite following their logic or understanding what this was all about.

“So if you had anything you needed to talk to Clark about…work or whatever…or…” Martha said, her voice dropping to almost conspiratorial levels as she eyed Lois pointedly for reasons unknown.

OMG brilliant interplay between the Kents here. LOVE LOVE IT!! And alllllll the angst. just wants to give Clark a big hug

My guess: KSaraSara cool

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ahhh thank you everyone for such wonderful feedback! I didn't really try to obfuscate much of anything, so it's really fun to see what people were picking up on and guessing. I for sure thought I would have fooled no one! But it was fun to see I did actually fool a few of you!

Thanks to everyone for the ficathon participation, and thanks for the amazing feedback!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I love this! Great story! It’s much better than the episode. I felt Clark’s pain and despair. I like that Lois was so supportive and figured out Clark’s secret but didn’t get mad or say anything. She has her priorities right - figure out the real culprit and then talk to Clark.

Martha and Jonathan were wonderful. They went back and forth so naturally. When I was reading the dialog, I was hearing K. Callan and Eddie Jones saying the words. The same with Lois and Clark. I heard Dean and Teri.

I thought your use of the “miniaturized Clark” prompt was clever.

Thanks for a wonderful fic!!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard