Print Thread
#299071 02/03/24 01:39 PM
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Story

Versions of this story have been rattling around in my brain and taking up space for far too long. There is more but, unfortunately, I think any of the scenes I have could be posted to this thread.

Last edited by Shallowford; 02/03/24 01:47 PM. Reason: added URL

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting concept. I look forward to seeing more.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh! An Elseworld...and such an Elsie one, too!

By the way...
It looks like canon has met with a cannon but this is what I have
I am stealing this phrase, just so you know. *Shoves into purse*

So let's see what we've got here...
Clearly, Martha is gone, likely dead. frown My initial thought was that this was the future. The son's dialog didn't sound quite right for Clark, but....

It being Lex makes much more sense.

So, were Lex and Clark raised as brothers?

It sounds like something went horribly wrong for Jonathan to refer to him as "the son of Jor-El".

Very intriguing premise here! Of course, you're not obligated to say any more about it (The challenge has its purpose, after all) but if the muse bites, we'll certainly be interested!

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh! shock Talk about different! Hey, you cannot stop here!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Interesting! And ... EEP!!! And whinging

Another of those voting for you to write more!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is intriguing and disturbing. Somehow Lex has powers, too? And Mr. Kent is on his side and saying Clark is dangerous? What happened her?

Very well written.

Thanks for sharing, even if you clearly leave more questions than answers.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Shallowford!
Let’s see…
. It looks like canon has met with a cannon but this is what I have.
Ooooooh!

The kitchen, although meticulously clean, had an air of disuse about it.
Alt-Clark?

Seating himself at the table he bowed his head for a long time either praying or just gathering strength for another day.
Alt-Clark without a Lana.

“Kent residence” he answered.

“Good morning Father. How are you doing this morning?”
/sputters/

This sounds like Lex. And Minilex.

“About the same. Fair to middlin’, I guess.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. You must still be eating your own cooking.
Not Lex. At least not in Kansas.

You can’t eat that chili forever, you know. Maisie has been begging me to convince you to eat in town more.”
Clark and Jonathan?

“You know I never could cook like your mother.”
mecry

The Ivory Tower? I saw the television listing laying out the last time I was home.”

“I’m disowning you. Tomorrow. I’ll make an appointment with Jordan Fredrichs and write you out of my will. ”
Oh, that’s cute.

Superman has been having a very good week. I cannot thank you enough for the idea. It was worth the trouble it took to have the costumes made discretely.”
Aaaahhh…

“There’s a scientist at STAR Labs that thinks he has found a way to drain away Clark’s powers. We’re not sure if it would be permanent or not but if it works it might be enough time treat him—maybe even to find a cure.”
Huh, so what?

“You’re a good boy, Lex, but you be careful around the Son of Jor-El.
No way, I was right about it being Lex on the phone?

Fun start of an alt-verse wink

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Thank you for the feedback! FoLCs have always been and continue to be a great, supportive, community! Thanks.

This is my first story with deliberate "what ifs?" in mind.

First, I think Jonathan has to be the most under-utilized character in the Superman universe. With Smallville as an exception, in the various iterations he's either dead or a secondary character that supports Martha. So, I wanted to move Martha off the stage and see what Jonathan would do. Second, I think Lex is a great character but there are few stories where he isn't a villain so I wanted to have a look at that. Put the two together and I got, "What would Lex be like if he was raised by Jonathan?"

The key points are in the spoiler below.

10 year-old Clark and Martha were in a severe car accident. Martha is severely injured but recovers. Clark is unconscious with a closed head injury and a shattered femur.
Lex is a 14 year-old orphan with leukemia and not doing well.
Lex's doctor discovers a match for bone marrow transplant in bone fragments removed from Clark's leg. Jonathan consents and Lex receives a transplant with cloned bone marrow from those pieces.
Martha and Jonathan end up adopting Lex, partly because of Clark's origins. Lex is probably a psychopath but Jonathan has his respect and teaches him people skills.
Clark recovers but has constant severe headaches. Eventually he finds kryptonite and manages the pain with nearly continuous, very controlled exposure.
Martha passes away suddenly. The aneurism could have been related to the accident but it isn't investigated.
Clark's globe activates, but only in the presence of the two boys.
Lex gradually becomes stronger and eventually debuts as Superman.
Clark is exposed to a massive amount of energy without the safety valve of kryptonite. He's essentially at full power and the pain in head is exponentially worse than anything he has experienced. For all intents and purposes he is feral.

I started the story 10 13 years ago. The whole thing is 30 pages, unfinished, and I'm not sure where to go with it--and also not sure when I can dedicate time to finishing it. I know there are unfinished stories on the site but there are holes in the middle that need to be written and make me uncomfortable with posting. If anyone is interested in reading what I have I'd be happy to send it. Adoption is an option.

Shallowford
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
This is such an interesting start! And completely feels like a cannon to the canon - very exciting!

A glint of morning sunlight squeezed itself through the crack in the parlor curtains and splashed onto the floor in the Kansas farmhouse, the reflection faintly illuminating the kitchen.

I love the active, luminous language you use throughout this whole sentence!

The kitchen, although meticulously clean, had an air of disuse about it.
And this is such an instant 'tell' that Martha's not here anymore. frown

Tell me--are you worried that Maisie will discover your post-harvest obsession with The Ivory Tower?
This is such a fun reference!

“There’s a scientist at STAR Labs that thinks he has found a way to drain away Clark’s powers. We’re not sure if it would be permanent or not but if it works it might be enough time treat him—maybe even to find a cure.”
“You’re a good boy, Lex, but you be careful around the Son of Jor-El. As much as I love him, you and I both know how dangerous he can be. So tell me, what have you found?“
One bomb after another! We're off to the races with this twist! I can't wait to see where this goes!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard