Hi FoLCs!

Welcome to the 2024 Kerth Quiz: REVELATION Story

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY!: All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best REVELATION Story but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are more fantastic stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 7 randomly chosen ones.
(Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from previous Kerth Quizzes.)

RECOMMENDATIONS: Don't forget that recommendations for other eligible stories in this category are *very* welcome and encouraged! So don't forget to add these in a section after your guesses!

QUIZ RULES: One point each for getting the story and author from the quote. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories. Please don't forget to mention which number you're answering. Rule recap: Open hard drive and open boards (+AO3!), *don't* forget to snip out the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler tag when you post in the replies thread.
(Yay for spoiler tags!)

CATEGORY: Clark Kent is….Superman?! No matter how many revelations we read, the readers always want more. This category honors the best of them—whether that means shocking, hilarious, or tear-jerking. Although Lois is most often the one to discover Clark’s secret, any fic that reveals Clark’s secret to any character is eligible in this category.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Saturday, February 10, 2024, by 11:59 p.m (Eastern Time Zone).

Here’s the full list of Eligible Stories.

Here are the full quiz instructions: Countdown to Kerth Quizzes Extended Instructions and Disclaimers.

Please post your answers HERE.

Good luck!
Evie
hyper hyper hyper

jawdrop EXCERPT #1:
She put trembling fingers to her lips, and they began to tingle at the thought of those two very important memories. Two separate events, wildly different from the other, yet comparable. Memories she had not thought to associate together until now came to the forefront, a mélange of emotions, his tender touch. The kisses were with the same man, Clark Kent, her partner, and a farmer’s son from Kansas… might possibly be … the Man of Steel?

As Lois changed out of her work attire and into a pair of sweats and white t-shirt, the revelation made her body shiver. But what other logical answer, as crazy as it sounds, could there be? There was only one way to get to the truth. She needed to talk to Clark. But …but what if he wasn’t there? What if he was on a ...what did Superman call it? A rescue?

It didn’t matter about her worries, she had to try. Lois walked over to the phone and picked up the receiver. With her heart beating so hard it made her chest hurt, she dialed the number and suddenly heard the familiar, reassuring rumble of her partner’s voice. She tried to speak, but somehow the words couldn’t come out.

“Hello?”

“Clark?” Her voice cracked.

Notes of concern laced his words, “Lois ... are you okay? What’s wrong?”

She closed her eyes, hoping and praying that she wasn’t about to make a fool of herself and lose the best friend she ever had, “I know its late, but could you come over for …hot chocolate or maybe an espresso? It’s important. We …we have a lot to talk about….”

jawdrop EXCERPT #2:
A startled scream woke him out of a sound sleep. He was nose-to-nose with Lois, a situation which only lasted a fraction of a second before he dropped onto the floor with a thud.

Lois sat up on the sofa and clicked on a nearby lamp. "Clark?! What are—how did—Why—?!!!"

His eyes took a moment to readjust to the sudden brightness. The cushion he'd appropriated for a pillow was still on the opposite side of the room, where he'd originally bedded down for the night. He scrambled up so that he was sitting at Lois's feet, his face burning.

She gaped at him. "You were floating!"

"Floating?" a nervous chuckle escaped him. "Wow, that must have been some dream you were having…"

Her eyes narrowed. "You. Were. Floating." She let out a gasp, and her hand reached out to touch his face. His glasses were still on the end table, and he saw the flash of realization in her eyes as she smoothed his hair back from his forehead. "Oh my god."

jawdrop EXCERPT #3:
“I usually ask forgiveness afterward, instead of permission first.” She took a quick breath and it spurred her candor. "But I can’t lose both of you to one of my hunches, so I’m asking permission first this time. Will you forgive me?” Her voice broke, so she tried again. “Will you forgive me if I’m wrong and this is just the grief finally winning?”

His eyes changed at that, as if he was reassessing how fragile the woman in his arms really was. Was that grief of his own that flitted across his eyes? Or guilt?
But instead of addressing any of that, he asked, “Is that your question?”

“No,” she said firmly.

“Yes,” he said. “I would forgive you.” His arms tightened around her almost imperceptibly. She felt it. “Will you forgive me?”

Her heart raced. “I think so.”

“Ask me, then,” he said.

It was harder than she expected, to ask for the one thing you wanted most.

She put her hand to his cheek and looked into his warm, achingly familiar, chocolate eyes.

“Clark?”

jawdrop EXCERPT #4:
She leaned even closer. “I mean how did he…you know…tell you his secret?”

“What do you mean?” Lois gave her a blank stare that would impress even the most brutal interrogator for the CIA, which told Cat she had been keeping Clark’s secret for a while now. Well, Cat had been keeping it longer, and she had to know.

“I mean his secret,” she said, giving the word special emphasis as she lowered her voice to a near-whisper. “Don’t play dumb with me, Lane, I want to know how he told you that he’s
Superman. I’ve waited years for this!”

“You…” Lois stammered, dropping her fork. “I don’t know what you mean. Clark isn’t —”

“Don’t insult my intelligence,” Cat said with a slight roll of her eyes. “I’ve known his secret since he flew through the window with you in his arms, so let’s just skip past you trying to deny it and right on to you telling me how he told you. You don’t have to worry about me. After all, if I had planned to tell anyone, I would have done so already, wouldn’t I?”

jawdrop EXCERPT #5:
And then she realized.

It wasn’t possible.

Unless. . . .

Robotically, she poured the now-steaming water from the kettle into a mug with a teabag to steep as she pulled at her memory as hard as she could of that day.

It had been when they had been in Smallville, when they had been investigating Trask. . .

Her eyes widened.

He must have been exposed to. . . .

What on earth was she even thinking? It would mean . . . .

But it would make sense. It would make so much sense.

But then it didn’t make sense at all.

How could he be. . . ?

She felt dizzy and sat down.

There was no way. Just no way.

She had had a very long traumatic day – that technically wasn't even over yet. She wasn't thinking clearly. There had to be something she was missing. Had to be another explanation.

How could Superman be . . . Clark?

jawdrop EXCERPT #6:
“Mayson?” he called as she opened her eyes.

She reached a hand up to his shirt, brushing his tie to the side.

His heart lurched as he glanced down. His shirt was torn, exposing the recognizable spandex to Mayson’s gaze, and touch, as she ran her fingers over the fabric before she reached up towards him.

“So this is what you’ve been hiding,” she gasped as she lost consciousness.

jawdrop EXCERPT #7:
All week, she’d been taking sips of coffee only to find it had gone cold from her inattention. No, that wasn’t right. It hadn’t been all week.

Just since Clark had been gone.

Her coffee had been cold. The cookies had been warm. Clark’s flight had been…early.

Lois’s gaze darted up to her partner again, and she could feel her pulse skittering around in her body as her mind raced. Yes, Clark, the cookies really are perfect with a warm cup of coffee. In fact…

She kept her eyes trained on him as she whispered, “They’re just…super, Clark.”

His head shot up, his eyes found hers, and for a moment, he was frozen still. But then, after a beat, he took a breath and slowly shrugged his shoulders up and gave her a sheepish grin.

smile1Good luck, everyone!

Have a question? Ask it here! Or you can PM any of the K-Com members or reach out on Discord too! You can also send an email to us here: Kcom@kerthawards.com

In order to help you find all things Kerth for this year, we’ve created a TOC for all the 🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

The Kerth Committee
(KSaraSara, Darth Michael, lovetvfan, and JadedEvie)