Hi FoLCs!
Welcome to the 2024 Kerth Quiz: CHALLENGE RESPONSE Story jump

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY!: All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best CHALLENGE RESPONSE Story but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are more fantastic stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 7 randomly chosen ones.
(Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from previous Kerth Quizzes.)

RECOMMENDATIONS: Don't forget that recommendations for other eligible stories in this category are *very* welcome and encouraged! So don't forget to add these in a section after your guesses!

QUIZ RULES: One point each for getting the story and author from the quote. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories. Please don't forget to mention which number you're answering. Rule recap: Open hard drive and open boards (+AO3!), *don't* forget to snip out the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler tag when you post in the replies thread.
(Yay for spoiler tags!)

CATEGORY: This award honors the extra creativity required to craft a story around a certain set of parameters. This includes all stories written in response to challenges and ficathons posted on the Lois and Clark Fanfic Message Board (any challenge regardless of the year it was posted; but only story responses that were posted in 2023 are eligible). This year also includes Discord dares and specific request fulfillments.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Saturday, February 3, 2024, by 11:59 p.m (Eastern Time Zone).

Here’s the full list of Eligible Stories.

Here are the full quiz instructions: Countdown to Kerth Quizzes Extended Instructions and Disclaimers.

Please post your answers HERE.

love (And answers for Quiz #1: WAFFY Stories will be up tomorrow!)

Good luck!
Evie
hyper hyper hyper

jump EXCERPT #1:
“A little afraid of heights?” she asked him gently.

“I, uh...” He looked at her with a strained smile. “I just get a little claustrophobic sometimes, is all.”

“Oh, did you want me to give you a little more room?” she asked as she shifted slightly, ready to scoot over if he needed her too, but reluctant to do so for purely selfish reasons.

“No! I mean—no, it’s okay!” he blurted out. “It’s...actually helpful to...have you closer.”

She couldn’t help but notice the slight roughness to his voice and just how quickly he’d protested her moving away from him, though she warned herself not to get her hopes up about it. Should she...would it be too obvious if she moved closer to him?

jump EXCERPT #2:
“Everything all right?” Lois asked her husband, who was listening in to the conversation in the next room with rapt attention.

“Yeah,” he said eventually. “They went back to bed.”

She sighed in relief. If her kids were such night owls at their age, she didn’t even want to imagine what they’d do once they hit their teens. Though, in all fairness, Christmas in Smallville was an exciting affair.

jump EXCERPT #3:
Say! Now she knows I’m Superman!
And she still loves me as I am!
And I will ask her in a boat.
And I will ask her with a note…
And I will ask her in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
And she’ll say yes, yes, yes, you see!
So I will ask her with a box.
And I will ask with diamond rocks.
And I will ask her in a house.
And I will ask to be her spouse.
And I will ask her here and there.
Say! I will ask her anywhere!
Now that she knows I’m Superman!
I can ask her for her hand.

jump EXCERPT #4:
Lois knelt in front of the jack again and strained against the handle. Metal creaked as the car slowly, reluctantly rose. "I know why you took it back," she said after catching her breath. "After the way I treated you, it wouldn't surprise me if you really didn't love me anymore."

"Lois…" His hands clenched and unclenched.

"And you're right. I didn't trust you."

She reached for the handle again, but Clark put a hand over hers.

"Lois…" He took a deep breath. "Let me."

She shook her head. "No, it's fine. Like I said before, I don't need any—"

He slid a hand under the frame of the Jeep and raised it slightly. Only Lois, from her position behind the jack, could see the sliver of space between it and the car. She gasped.

jump EXCERPT #5:
“Speaking of the Planet, where’s your partner…Mr. Tall-dark-and-totally-hot-for-you?”

Did she mean Clark? Surely she couldn’t mean Clark. She and Clark were just friends. Best friends. And just because she’d started to realise she had serious feelings for him didn’t mean he shared them. After all, hadn’t he told her that he didn’t love her after all when the paper re-opened?

“Clark had to…finish doing his taxes,” she admitted somewhat lamely. “And he and I are not…I mean we’ve never…”

“Oh, please,” Cat scoffed. “I was the resident gossip at the Planet. It was literally my job. And you two had chemistry for days. Hell, he turned me down, Lois…me. The only explanation for that is that he was in love with you. Well, that or he needed his eyes checked.”

jump EXCERPT #6:
Before she could finish her thought, the microphone on the probe picked up the sound of a whoosh! and a woman in a skintight jumpsuit with a cape appeared in the frame from seemingly nowhere. Kal-El’s face lit up.

“It worked!”

The mysterious woman’s face paled. “Oh, God! Clark, what happened! Who did this to you?”

jump EXCERPT #7:
Lois: Hey, it's hot out.
Clark: It is. Want some cake?
Lois: Sure, let's see who can eat it the fastest!
Clark: Oh, like a contest?! Okay!

smile1Good luck, everyone!

Have a question? Ask it here! Or you can PM any of the K-Com members or reach out on Discord too! You can also send an email to us here: Kcom@kerthawards.com

In order to help you find all things Kerth for this year, we’ve created a TOC for all the 🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts🏆.

The Kerth Committee
(KSaraSara, Darth Michael, lovetvfan, and JadedEvie)