Brother

Summary: 3rd in ‘Come Home' series, 1x04 rewrite. The ripple effect continues. As Tal gets used to being part of a family, more is learned about the Stranger and the reality he had escaped. Meanwhile, the twins begin to really learn what it means to be part kryptonian.

Chapter 1: Abuzz

General Sam Lane watched as the man they had been calling 'the Stranger' entered the interrogation room.

Even without his armor he was impressive. Which made sense. This was the man who had come the closest to ever killing Superman.

"Have a seat, Mr. Irons," Sam said, stepping around the table. "That is your real name, isn’t it? John Henry Irons… Ranger… two tours in Afghanistan." Sam sat down as John silently took his seat across from him. "Got into the private sector and made a name for yourself as a mechanical engineer. The problem is, John Irons died six years ago under mysterious circumstances."

John Irons remained silent, his eyes staring at him, though Sam wondered if he was even seeing him, let alone hearing him. It was as if he was reliving something.

"At least that’s what happened to the John Irons of this Earth," Sam went on. "So how did you get here?"

The man blinked and his expression shifted. He was suddenly alert and intense, focused. "I had flown into space in the hopes of detonating a red solar flare to save Earth. To kill Kal-El. He was one of the last. After years, years of fighting them, we were so close, Sam, of being rid of them. Of starting over."

Sam swallowed. So Clark had been right.
And if the Eradicator had been fully implemented on this John's world. . . .

"How many Kryptonians were there?" Sam asked.

He was not going to miss this opportunity to learn about John's world. Even if what had happened there couldn't happen here now, understanding where John had come from could be implemented in stopping future threats here, not to mention understanding John's mental state.

"Hundreds. We lost count. At least three hundred. I've killed well over fifty."

Sam tried to keep his expression even, but imagining hundreds of corrupted supermen. . . . That was horrifying.

"So you understand," Irons said, looking relieved. "You have to help me save your planet, Sam! Before it's too late!"

"Tell me everything," Sam said.

And so Irons did. Sam was amazed by how much detail John regaled. The man poured out his soul. He told him how it had started. How at first Superman had fought against the other Kryptonians, and how it had seemed like it was over, but then more had resurfaced and this time Superman had joined them. They had leveled Metropolis in minutes.

"Where had they come from?" Sam asked.

"I don't know. They were sleeper agents of some sort, but we never figured out how they came about exactly. Some people thought humans were being infected and somehow altered to have powers. Others thought they had always been kryptonian but had been pretending until the opportune moment. I'm hoping to figure that out here, to stop it or at least identify those we need to eliminate," Irons explained, his hands flexing incessantly.

Irons shuddered. "Kal-El killed Lois, Sam. On national television. Please, Sam. Please help me stop them."

"He killed Lois, Lois Lane?" Sam asked, baffled.

Clark had killed his own wife?!

"Yes. He killed my wife," Irons whispered.

Sam couldn't stop the jolt that ran through him. Lois hadn't married Clark? She had married Irons?

"Please. Where I come from, you’re like me, and you don’t trust him either because you know what he is capable of. You have to help me, before he kills Lois again, before he kills so many again." John was breathing heavily, so earnest and desperate.

Sam swallowed, trying to decide what to do. This guy, understandably, was not mentally stable. How could he be? But perhaps he could reassure him?

"John, I can tell you knew me from your world, and I imagine you trusted me, so please hear me when I say I will not allow what happened in your world to happen here," he said confidently. “I know things you don't know. Circumstances are different here, I–”

"It's already started here! That second Kryptonian!" John cried, violently shooting forward in his chair and managing to grab Sam's wrist despite being handcuffed.

Guards from the other side of the door immediately rushed in before Sam could attempt to calm Irons. Though it was soon clear no amount of words would successfully calm him as he went ballistic.

"You must believe me! Kal-El is going to turn on Earth! We have to stop him! He's going to make an army! I know you have kryptonite, Sam! I know you've been collecting it! Please! He's going to kill Lois!"

"Irons! Irons! John! Calm down!" Sam shouted, but it was no use.

"Sam! He killed her! He killed millions! He'll do that here! We have to stop him!"

The guards yanked Irons away and, knowing there was nothing more he could do or say in that moment, Sam left the room as they struggled to get Irons under control.

He sighed, deciding he would finish doing what was needed to get Irons’ mobile home to Clark’s farm.

O o O o O

Clark hugged Lois against his side as Lara spoke to Jon and Jordan in the main chamber of Tal's fortress. Jor-El stood quietly off behind Lara, content to just be present. Tal was grinning ear to ear, listening as Lara answered their questions about Krypton.

"Do you remember Krypton?" Jordan asked, suddenly turning to him.

"I was about seven when I left, so I don't remember much, but yes, I remember it," Tal said.

"Was it like Earth at all?" Jon asked.

"Well, the sky had a reddish hue because of the red sun and the gravity was a little stronger," he said. "But we had clouds and oceans like Earth, though we didn't have as much wildlife. Nowhere near as much now that I think about it," Tal said. "We also didn't have as many trees, and the trees we did have were more like ferns than trees you're used to seeing. But the biggest differences were the cities and roads. We didn't travel as far or as often as humans tend to do. There just wasn't a need, and our cities were clusters of massive skyscrapers. Most of our world's land was covered in cities, and we traveled by air-rail throughout the city we lived in," Tal explained.

"Flying trains?!" Jordan asked.

"Yeah, they utilized a laser guidance system that could move depending on traffic needs," Tal explained.

The twins were amazed.

"Krypton's technology is honestly what I miss the most," Tal admitted with a frown. "Which, I suppose doesn't shine a good light on how things were. Unfortunately, the planet was not in a good place. Socially, morally, politically, culturally . . . in every aspect one can measure a civilization, Krypton was dying." Tal sighed and looked at Clark. "I wouldn't have been able to say that a month ago, but it's clear to me now."

"I'm sorry," Jon said softly.

"As am I, but I've learned how important it is not to delude oneself and to instead move forward," Tal said.

“It is, Tal, which reminds me, I have begun organizing a curriculum after you expressed a desire to teach your nephews pertinent Kryptonian subjects," Lara said.

Jon and Jordan looked back at their parents in surprise and to see their reactions. Lois and Clark looked at each other before turning their attention to Tal.

Clark hummed thoughtfully. "I think that's actually a good idea. Lois and I already agreed they'd begin learning about Kryptonian technology and such. Having you involved in that makes a lot of sense," Clark said.

Tal beamed. "I'll lay out the lesson plans and run them by you when I'm done, Brother. Do you feel it would be useful to include Kryptonian mathematics sooner or later?"

"Perhaps an introduction to all subjects first to see where their interests lay and go from there?" Lois suggested.

"That's an excellent idea!" Tal said with a nod. "I'll do that."

Clark chuckled as Jon and Jordan looked at each other and shrugged, curious and happily accepting the plan.

O o O o O

Jon and Jordan knew something was up not long after they entered the school carrying Jon's football gear. And then Sarah ran up to them.

"Hey! I just heard what happened. Mr. Tann wants to see you right away, Jon," she said.

"The principal?" Jon asked, confused.

"Huh? What happened?" Jordan asked.

"'What happened'? Jon, the whole school knows what Gaines said to you! Timmy recorded the whole thing and posted it!"

"He what?!" Jon gasped.

"Yeah. Timmy's parents and some others called the school, furious, from what I heard," she explained as her boyfriend came up.

"Hey, Kent. Go on, I'll take care of your gear," Sean said, taking the pack from Jon's arms. "I, uh, what Gaines said to you wasn't cool. And actually, all of last week wasn't cool."

Jon blinked up at him.

"I, uh, sorry. We shouldn't have been like that," Sean got out, and Jon could see he was ashamed.

"Uh, thanks," Jon said, not sure what else he should say as Jordan put down the bag he'd been carrying. "I'll see yuh later, okay?"

At that, Jon and Jordan hurried to the principal's office, immediately slowing upon finding a number of adults waiting out in the hall. They all immediately turned and stared, but the silence didn't last long.

"Jonathan Kent, you handled yourself perfectly," a man said. Jon thought he owned one of the shops in town.

"Your grandmother would be so proud!" a woman they didn't recognize said.

"You are a Kent, no doubt about it," another said. "You acted just like old Jon!"

"Excuse me. I'd like to have a moment with Mr. Kent," Mr. Tann said, stepping from his office. "Jonathan Kent," he added upon seeing Jordan.

A path was cleared for Jon, but then everyone's attention snapped to the far end of the hall.

Clark Kent had entered the school.

"Hi, Mr. Tann. The school called and said you needed to see me?" he asked, his normal chipper self nowhere to be seen.

Everyone stared.

"Uh, yes. Please, let's talk in my office," Mr. Tann said.

"I'll, uh, take notes for you, Jon," Jordan said, hoping that was the right thing to say.

His dad smiled and gripped his shoulder. "Good idea, Jordan. This shouldn't take too long," Clark said.

Jordan watched as Jon and Clark followed the principal and shut the door behind them.

Jon took a deep breath as his dad stepped beside him and Mr. Tann went around to sit behind the desk.

"I trust you know what this is about?" Tann asked after he motioned them to sit.

"I have a fair idea, though I'd prefer not to assume," Clark said.

Tann nodded grimly. "Did you see the media post involving your son and Mr. Gaines?" he asked.

"No, but I would like to see it," Clark said.

"Very well," Tanns said, picking up his cellphone and turning it around a moment later.

Clark and Jon watched the video, which started with some muted voices and boys hunkering against a wall (including the one taking the video) before the microphone from the phone got close enough to the door. There was some shushing, and then the voices of Gaines and Jon could be heard.

"–positive or negative. I just want a fair chance to earn a place on the team. So I’ve come to tell you that if I can’t get that, I want to know that now so I can stop wasting time, my own and the team’s. So should I keep calling you ‘coach’ or should I begin calling you ‘Mr. Gaines’?” Jon asked, a faint, nervous warble in his voice, but still strong.

“Damn, Kent. Never would have guessed you’d be made of such stern stuff,” Gaines stated.

“I’m a Kent and my mom is Lois Lane, did you expect something different?” Jon asked, sounding confused.

Gaines failed to completely stifle a snort before retorting, "Well, you're a Lane at least.”

"What is that supposed to mean?" Jon asked, taken aback and understandably offended.

A chair scraped on the floor before Gaines replied. "Your father is a Kent by name, not by blood. There's a difference.”

There was a long silence.

"Keep my playbook, Mr. Gaines. I won't be needing it. I’ll turn in my equipment Monday. My time is clearly better spent elsewhere," Jon answered flatly.

The door opened, and Jon barely glanced at them as he stormed off.

"Mr. Gaines has been put on administrative leave as we investigate this, as well as other things that have come forward since this was posted," Tanns said.

"Other things?" Clark asked with a frown.

"Other reports of unprofessional behavior," Tann said plainly.

Neither Clark or Jon was surprised by Gaines being unprofessional elsewhere, but it was surreal knowing all of this was coming forward now because of a single recorded instance – and an instance that wasn't really all that severe. Sure, it was insulting and unprofessional, but it wasn't violent or threatening.

Granted, it didn't have to be. Clearly, those coming forward now hadn't thought they would be believed, but now that there was proof that Gaines wasn’t all that great. . . .

"I think it goes without saying that what he said was not what any teacher or person of any moral standing should ever say to a student. And the fact he said it about you, Clark, Martha's son . . . I want to assure you that we are taking this very seriously. If our instructors cannot treat all students with respect, how can we expect our students to be respectful?" Tanns asked.

"Thank you, George, that is reassuring," Clark said.

“And Jon, if you want to remain on the football team, you can, although admittedly I'm not sure what it'll look like this semester yet," Tanns said. "Restassured, I highly doubt Gaines will be returning."

Jon looked at Clark in question.

"Up to you, bud," Clark said.

"Um. Well, I think . . . I'll hold off for now. I sort of just accepted letting it go. I'd like to think about it before recommitting," Jon said after a moment.

"Wise decision, which doesn't surprise me. You handled yourself very well Friday," Tanns stated. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

"Thank you, sir," Jon said, doing his best not to beam too much.

Clark didn't bother to restrain his proud smile and put his hand on Jon's shoulder.

O o O o O

Jordan opened the front door and entered with Jon following behind him.

The bus had just dropped them off and, Jordan had to say, Smallville was much better than Metropolis in terms of school, and most everything else if he was honest.

While he didn't really have friends yet, except for Sarah, people were much friendlier to him than in Metropolis and now, after the whole Gaines' mess, kids were even coming up to him and saying hi. He was still a bit awkward, and he felt his anxiety rise a few times, but with the reassuring look from Jon and the knowledge that most everyone knew him as Martha Kent's grandson, he felt a strange confidence buoy his heart.

He wasn't the clumsy loser here.

"So when do you want to order pizza?" Jon asked.

"Five?" Jordan proposed.

"Okay, sounds good."

Jordan got his classwork out. He wanted to make sure his classwork was done because Uncle Tal (it was so weird to have an uncle now!) had said they'd start kryptonian lessons that weekend.

He looked up and saw Jon doing the same on the other side of the kitchen table, which got him thinking.

"How long do you think it'll be before they find a new coach?" Jordan asked.

"Not sure. Principal Tanns made it sound like it would be a few months at least. This has certainly killed the first half of the season," Jon said.

Jon glanced at him, noticing Jordan staring at him.

"What?" Jon asked.

"I don't know. I'm just surprised you're not more, I don't know, upset?" Jordan pointed out uncertainly.

"To be honest, I don't think it's really sunk in yet," Jon admitted. "But I'd rather go through high-school without being harrassed by someone who should be a mentor."

Jordan nodded. "So if they find a decent coach, will you rejoin the team?"

"Not sure. With everything we've recently learned . . . I don't know. Football and that sort of thing doesn't seem that important anymore," Jon admitted.

"Yeah, learning Dad is Superman and that we're . . . aliens–"

"Part-alien," Jon corrected. "Or rather, part-kryptonian. I prefer that over alien."

"Okay, part-kryptonian. Anyway, things are different now," Jordan agreed.

"Yeah. It's still weird to think about. I mean, I know Superman and Dad are the same person, but. . . ."

"Yeah, it's super weird. Do you think we'll get powers?" Jordan asked.

"I don't know. Maybe we'll get them eventually but they'll be weaker? I mean, I still don't feel any different, do you?"

"I think I feel the same, I mean, sometimes I wonder if the sun feels different, but it might just be wishful thinking," Jordan admitted.

"How does it feel?" Jon asked, intrigued.

"Soft tingles kind of, sorta like sparkle water, but only sometimes, and it's not consistent on all exposed skin."

"We should ask Dad what the sun feels like to him," Jon proposed.

"That's not a bad idea," Jordan said, before turning his attention to his Spanish work.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 01/07/24 09:53 PM.