Part Five

The elevator door opened, revealing a very different bullpen than the one they had left several days before. New computers, with wireless mice, keyboards, and flat screen monitors; a Plasma TV that took up an entire wall, tuned to LNN for breaking news; new workstations that gleamed of a shiny black veneer; and several new office/cubicles that had been created with the magic of modular paneling.

"Wow. Different." Lois stood at the top of the ramp with her mouth open.

"Yes. Let me show you where our desks are."

"*Our* desks? We're next to each other?"

"Of course. We're partners, remember?"

"Trial basis only. I'm the senior partner, remember?"

"Got it. By the way, when was your last news story published?"

"Propaganda - that's a low blow. Okay, I suppose we can be somewhat equal partners."

"And you call yourself a modern woman."

Mark Boyle came out of nowhere and interrupted Lois and Clark's repartee. "Lois Lane. I'm so pleased we're going to working together. And here I thought I might never see your beautiful face ever again. Our new owner thought that my overseas experience would be invaluable here at the Daily Planet," he said, quickly grabbing her hand and kissing it before she had time to object. "By the way, I do believe that you owe me a report from our friend Dr. Deter."

<"Argh! What did I say about being able to handle working with Mark?">

"Here it is," she replied, nearly stuffing the large manila folder in the hand that had just reached for hers. "I have another appointment on Wednesday morning, same time – 8:00 a.m.," Lois informed him with as much dripping sarcasm as she could muster.

<"Don't let him get to you, honey. Remember, we're going to get the upper hand here soon.">

"Now that you are both here, I'd like to call a staff meeting in the conference room in fifteen minutes," Boyle stated. "Will you please let everyone else know?"

Clark and Lois nodded in reply as Boyle went back to his office/cubicle area.

Clark pointed Lois' workstation out to her, and she sat down, taking her anger out on the desk as she re-arranged the location of the phone, the monitor, the keyboard and even the box of tissues that was sitting there innocently.

<"Honey…">

<"What, Clark, *what*? Am I acting crazy again?">

<"Not crazy - just mad as hell. And it's understandable, but I don't think it's a good way to start out on your first day back. The others are noticing that Mark got to you. They're going to wonder what happened between you two in the Congo if you're not careful.">

Lois looked at Clark, and her facial features softened at his gentle reprimand.

<"Sweets, you're right. As far as anyone knows, I met Mark overseas and toured his newsroom at Le Choc, and that is it. I've got to do a better job of disguising my animosity towards him. Thanks for calling me on it.">

<"You're welcome. Let's tell everyone about the staff meeting.">

~~~~~

Assignments had been given out. Lois was to write a weekly article to be published in the Daily Planet's Sunday Edition magazine called "This Week in the Planet" in regards to her experiences overseas, and her perceptions of how the United States had changed in ten years. Off limits of course was why she headed to Brazzaville in the first place, and why she had been captured as soon as she arrived. Just a straight "life in a refugee camp and how much it sucked" type of story. When Boyle had asked her to stay for a moment after the meeting was over, he suggested to her that by writing about her experiences in the jungle, it would act as therapy for her, speeding up the healing process. Her reply back to him was not printable!

Meanwhile, Clark was asked to attend a news conference at 3:00 p.m. that had been called jointly by STAR LABS and EPRAD. Strangely, they had called the Editor's desk and asked for him to appear as Superman, not as Clark Kent. In addition, they wanted him to come ½ hour earlier than the other reporters. Intrigued, Lois insisted on accompanying him.

Clark vaguely remembered CK telling him about an asteroid in his world that had threatened to wipe out the earth and how he had nearly died traveling into space to try to destroy it. Mindful that events in that universe usually paralleled his own, even if the exact details were a tad different, he felt a real sense of urgency getting to that meeting.

"Lois… if this is about what I think it's about, they're not going to want you there when they tell me what it is they want to tell me," Clark informed her

"I'm your *wife*! Do they really think that you're not going to tell me?"

<"I can find out this way, anyway!">

<"Honey, they don't know that, and we sure as hell don't want anyone knowing that we can read each other's thoughts. If Thorul finds out…">

"All right. I'm going to go downstairs and get some supplies for my desk, and then I'm going to start a template for this weekly article in the magazine. But I'm dying to get my hands on some hard-hitting news. I'll meet you at the news conference at 3:00 p.m., then. That's open to the public."

"I hate to say this… but you better check with Mark. He's already assigned one reporter – me – to the conference. He may feel it's a waste of time to have two investigative reporters at one possibly very dull EPRAD news conference."

"I can't wait until Perry comes back. I can't work this way for long."

"Me, neither, honey."

"By the way, did James leave word when his cousin's services would be?"

"Actually, he did. He left me a voice mail. The wake is tonight, the funeral is tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. Unfortunately, we've been forbidden to attend the funeral on company time because Timmy is the perceived cause of all of the recent problems at the Planet."

"What?? The company that bought the Planet is the one who hired him to snoop!"

"No hard evidence of that Lois… just rumors and innuendos. I already tried that angle with Boyle. If we want to go, we must use personal time… and unfortunately, you don't have any yet until your 30 day probation period is over," Clark said, as gently as he could.

"Probation period?"

"Did you *read* the employment contract, Lois? I sped-read through the whole thing. No insurance benefits or accrual time until your 31st day of employment."

<"Clark… maybe I should just quit, and we should go home and make another attempt at starting a family. It's my first day back and they're wearing me down already.">

Lois crept up to Clark and kissed him passionately. Just then the intercom at Clark's phone went off. "Kent here."

"Kent, it's Boyle. Look, if you two are going to carry on that way in the newsroom, we have to nip it in the bud right now. LNN and Edge Enterprises have always had a policy forbidding the employment of two spouses or relatives working in the same department. An exception was made in your cases. But we can't afford to have other employees feeling uncomfortable in your presence. Please keep that type of behavior at home. In other words, save it for the bedroom. Thank you and good day." The line went dead.

Clark slammed the phone down so hard he broke it in several tiny pieces. "Damn," he swore. "They are really watching our every move. This is ridiculous."

Lois, shocked, as she had never heard her husband curse before, read his mind and discovered what Mark had said. <"He's so jealous. I can't believe I can't kiss my husband at work. I'm going to march right in there and give him a piece of what's left of my so-called crazy mind!">

With that, Clark broke out with a huge smile, and grabbed her arm, preventing her from carrying out her threat. <"Honey… it's okay. Now we're *both* letting him get to us. Let's take a little coffee break and calm down. Payback is the best medicine here.">

After a walk to both the break room for fresh (?) coffee and the supply closet to obtain the proper desk "stuff", they had determined that they would both attend Timmy's wake that evening, but only Clark would attend the funeral on Tuesday morning, since Lois had never met him anyway. In the meantime, they discussed the possibility of somehow sending Thorul a copy of the "letter to the editor" article written about him from 1973, with a personal note from M. Kent. Perhaps, if anything could rattle his cage that might be it. How to do it without getting the Kents-Langs involved; that would be the trick.

With that, Clark surreptitiously gave Lois a quick kiss that held a promise for way more action later, and took off to attend his meeting at EPRAD (Extra-Planetary Research and Development).

In the meantime, Lois spotted Linda King in Boyle's "office", giggling and flirting with him. After a few minutes, she left his area, smiling broadly. She stopped at her desk for a quick moment, and then purposefully headed toward the elevator. <That better not mean what I think it might mean,> Lois thought to herself. <Knowing Linda, the two of them will be sleeping together before the day is out!> With that annoying thought bouncing around in her head, Lois continued to organize her desk, quite loudly at that.

~~~~~

A Stephen Daitch, Ph.D, was waiting for Clark as he arrived in the lobby of the building. He offered his handshake in greeting. "Mr. Kent – Superman; thanks for coming. I would like to show you something in our observatory. Please follow me," he said, heading for the elevator.

"Dr. Daitch, in my most basic of earth science classes, I learned that you can't see the stars during the daytime. How –"

Suddenly a wave of darkness engulfed the city. "Mr. Kent, you were saying -? If you would come over to the eyepiece, you'll see the explanation for our sudden blackout."

Clark saw an asteroid in the viewfinder. "How large is this?"

"About seventeen miles across," was the reply.

"And how fast is it traveling?"

"About thirty-thousand miles per hour."

"And its proximity to earth at this point in time?"

"About four days away, at its present speed."

"Waitaminute – it's going to miss us, right? Just provide us with a little unexpected darkness until its passes us peacefully, right?"

"I'm afraid not, Mr. Kent. This Nightfall Asteroid, as we've named it, has the potential to destroy life on earth as we know it. Throw us into another ice age; knock the earth off its orbit, change its axis… it's really quite a disaster in the making."

"How can I help?" <This sounds exactly like the story CK told me. Yikes!>

"We have STAR WARS technologies aimed at the asteroid. In the event it doesn't work – it may miss – we may need you to personally deliver the fatal blow."

"Fly into space? But I've never done that before. I may have powers, but I still need air to breathe."

"Your friend Dr. Klein, from STAR Labs, believes that he has designed a space suit for you to wear that will provide you with sufficient oxygen to make the trip up and back. That's assuming, of course, that you agree to be our ace in the hole." Just then there was a knock on the door.

"Speak of the devil, here's Bernie now," Dr. Daitch remarked.

"Hey Bernie," said Clark.

"Clark… Stephen. I brought a drawing of the space suit that Clark will wear… oh, my…you *have* agreed to help us, right Clark?"

"Of course! Did you really think I'd say no? This is my world and there are people that I love here," Clark replied earnestly, remembering that several years ago, he wouldn't have been able to say that.

"Well, that's great," exclaimed Daitch. "I think we're ready to have a news conference!"

As an omen, the blackout passed and shortly, sunlight began streaming in the window again.

~~~~~~

At precisely 3:00 p.m., Lois looked up at the Plasma TV monitor in the newsroom and spotted Dr. Daitch, Bernie Klein, and her husband, as Superman, standing on a podium together. Dr. Daitch gave a blurringly technical explanation of the Nightfall Asteroid and its perils to planet Earth. A videographer had detailed the trajectory of the asteroid in relationship to earth, and where the nuclear weapon would conceivably strike, shattering it into millions of much smaller, less harmful pieces that would probably burn up as soon as they reached the earth's atmosphere. There was a slight danger of nuclear fallout coming back to earth, but the alternative was way more damaging.

"Linda King, Daily Planet. Why is Superman up there with you? What is Clark's role going to be in this?"

"Mr. Kent – Superman – has agreed to be a back-up, should our STARS WARS initiative fail," Dr. Klein blurted out. "I'm preparing a suit that will provide him with the necessary oxygen and solar energy to sustain him in the void of space."

Lois nearly had a coronary when she realized who had asked the question.

<What's *she* doing there?? Clark told me not to come, and *she's* there!!>

Lois strode purposefully over to Boyle's cubicle. "Why is *she* there? He's *my* husband! If anyone should be covering that story, it's me – '*Mrs.* Superman!' "

"That's correct, you *are* 'Mrs. Superman' - and that's exactly why I didn't think that you would be able to write an arm's length, unbiased article about the possible risks your *husband* might be taking, going into space to save earth from a gigantic asteroid. Your report would of course be slanted. Your emotions would be evident. Please understand my thinking on this."

"*Mr.* Boyle, that's crap and you know it. And it's obvious to me that you knew exactly what this news conference was about, even before Clark did."

"Of course I did. STAR LABS and EPRAD are partly financed by grants from Edge Enterprises, you know. We have quite an open communication policy. And there you have it: another reason why this acquisition of the Daily Planet by Edge made so much business sense."

"ARGH!" spit Lois as she turned on her heel and stomped back to her workstation. Suddenly, she realized the implications of what it was that her husband had agreed to do. The news conference was finished; several minutes later, Clark entered the newsroom via his special window, having already changed back into his "civvies". The employees in the newsroom cheered him on as he gently landed, heading over to his desk and towards Lois. Superman was going to save the planet, one way or another, from a nuclear winter. He would be a hero, a savior.

Lois hugged and kissed her husband, Boyle and Edge Enterprises be damned!

"Sweets… you're so brave," she said in a husky whisper. "What if you never come back? You *know* I can't –won't - live without you. And did you know that *bitch* was going to be there?"

"Whoa, honey- one question at a time. Of course I'm going to come back; nothing in this world or outer space could keep me from you. Secondly, I didn't know that Linda was going to be there ahead of time… she *is* the one you were referring to when you said "bitch", right?" he said teasingly.

<"Sweets, Boyle is going to make my life here a living hell. All on specific instructions from Thorul, I'm sure! He sent Linda King to that conference specifically to tick me off. I'm sure he's heard all about our previous problems and catfights. And she's already kissing up to him and he's soaking it right up! We have to do something. I guess it's bad timing with this asteroid problem at hand, but, there's no time like the present. Operation 'Somewhere in Time' must begin!">

<"Huh? What's that?">

<"A code name I just made up, based on the title of the greatest romantic movie I've ever seen. I watched it when I was writing my 'puff piece' on the Hotel Del Coronado years ago. A man, who happens to be a playwright, falls in love with a picture of an actress who performed in a play at this beautiful Victorian Hotel in the early 1900's. In the movie it was the Grand Hotel in Michigan, but the author wrote it with the Hotel Del in mind. He finds a way to will himself back in time to her era, finally meets her, they fall in love, and then, all of sudden, when he pulls a penny from the future out of his pocket and looks at it, he's pulled back to the present. The actress saw him literally disappear right in front of her with no explanation. Try as he may, he is unable to get back to her, and they both die of broken hearts. Of course, they meet again in heaven. Sappy, but do you see where I'm going with this?"> [© Richard Matheson, "Bid Time Return"]

<"Hmm, I think so. You're going to try to make Thorul think that M. Kent is from another time period? Try to make him fall in love with her somehow? He doesn't look like the romantic type, Lois. He's got a cold, business veneer. I'm not sure this will work. Plus…we have the problem with her having the name 'Kent', remember?">

<"Yes, yes, Propaganda… those are mere details; I'll brainstorm something! I work better when I'm ticked off; I promise you that. But I'm the one that saw that fifteen year old face. He may be evil now, but somewhere underneath the snake oil is a decent human being. Somehow, I have to connect with that teenager that couldn't wait to go out and look for a part-time job to ease his mother's stress. A boy like that can't be all bad.">

<"People change, Lois… people change. But, I've said it before, and I'll say it again… you're a stubborn woman, Lois Lane! If anyone can do it, it would be you">

<"Bet your *** , Propaganda… bet your *** !">

~~~~~

Lois went to get them more coffee. Clark made an excuse to stay at his desk; he didn't want to show his concern to Lois, but after remembering CK's recollection of his experience trying to defeat the Nightfall Asteroid, he was really worried. CK had told him that he had blacked out after encountering it, and somehow, thankfully, was hurled back towards earth. He had landed in Metropolis, in Suicide Slum of all places, nearly naked, with amnesia! If it weren't for his folks, who were able to coach him to recall his super-powers at the eleventh hour, the remaining part of the asteroid, which was still three miles in diameter, would have hit the earth, causing untold damage.

It was then that he was reminded of Wells' parting gift. Would there be a full moon soon, so he could speak to CK personally about it? Ask him, in hindsight, what he would have done differently? And, how could be possibly do all of this without being under the scrutiny of his wife's watchful gaze? She already had enough on her plate and didn't need to worry about him.

~~~~~

Clark observed that James was looking as haggard as ever at Timmy's wake. His Aunt Margaret, mother of the deceased, looked even worse if that was possible. His Dad, John Olson, the former "Johnny Jabbermouth", was there as well to lend moral support, as Timmy's mother was his sister. James hadn't showed his face at the Planet since the day he had signed his shares over to LNN / Edge Enterprises; he had been out on bereavement leave. After the calling hours ended, James, Perry, Alice, Bill Henderson, Maggie Sawyer, Clark, and Lois gathered outside the funeral home for an off-the-record discussion of the suicide/murder case.
j
"James, I want you to know that we're officially ruling this case a murder investigation, based on the fake suicide note left behind. The handwritten notes you had found from him when he working for you at the Planet were just what we needed. Our handwriting expert decidedly agreed that the note was a forgery; coupled with your comment that Timmy always referred to you as "Jimmy"… well that was all I needed to make that decision," Bill said. "Problem is, we have no leads. Forensics found nothing useful - no fingerprints on the letter. Clark, you said you didn't see anything either?"

"No… the bathroom was left as clean as a whistle, Bill. With what I know of Edge Enterprises, assuming they're behind this, that doesn't surprise me. Their hired goons are the best in the business; that's why it's been so hard to pin anything on them," Clark replied.

"Well, Clark, this asteroid business has to take precedence over a murder investigation," Maggie chimed in. "First order of business is for you to save the world, in case EPRAD and NASA can't."

The group hastily agreed that in the scheme of things, a 17-mile wide asteroid gunning for Planet Earth certainly made a murder investigation pale in comparison.

James noticed his Aunt and his father waiting for him by the limousine. "Guys, I gotta go. Thanks so much for coming. Clark and Lois, I'll be back to the office by Wednesday."

"I'll see you at the funeral tomorrow morning," Clark promised him, giving the younger man an affectionate hug. "Take care."

"Thanks again, buddy," James said, his eyes misting over. He turned his head away from Clark's empathetic eyes to save his male pride and dignity. "See you tomorrow, then."

"Definitely."

~~~~~

Perry, Alice, Lois and Clark decided to go out for coffee and dessert and discuss the latest happenings – or lack thereof – at the Planet. Since Lois was in constant fear of bugging devices, Clark flew Perry's limo (with the three of them seated within) over the state line to Connecticut, and found a 24-hour diner off of Interstate 95 in the affluent coastal town of Greenwich.

Clark placed the vehicle gently down in the parking lot. Luckily, the few observers to his "flying carpet" trick would have tested way past the legal drinking limit anyway. "That's one helluva way to beat the traffic on the interstate," Perry joked. "Saves money on gas and tolls, too!"

After they ordered, Lois was the first one to start. "Perry, how are you going to stand having Mark Boyle working for you? Don't you have any say in the matter?"

"Lois, I know the guy's a scumbag – but believe it or not, he has good instincts. And *no*, I don't have any say when the owners themselves hired him. Our first order of business is to find a way to connect Edge Enterprises with Intergang, and then find a way to bankrupt them so James can get controlling interest of the Planet again. That's a tall order, and not one we can work on during company time. We're going to have to have a weekly meeting – obviously off site – to discuss our leads."

"Off – site shouldn't be hard to do with Propaganda here on our side," Lois said, kissing her husband affectionately on the cheek. She thought some more, and then added, "assuming the asteroid problem is properly eliminated."

<"Oh Clark… I don't want to think about the alternative.">

<"Lois… if I have to go, Bernie's going to ensure I have enough oxygen and solar energy to get back home safely. Please don't worry, honey.">

"When are they sending that missile up anyway? Tomorrow?" Perry asked.

"Yes, tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.," Clark replied. "It will take 28 hours to reach the asteroid; if it doesn't do the job, then I have a small window of time to get to STAR LABS to prepare to fly into space with my own personal nuclear rocket!"

"Wow," Alice interjected. "The world will be your oyster, Clark, if you save us all in the nick of time like that."

"Alice, I finally have the family I always wanted. I would do *anything* to protect Earth from harm – whatever it takes," asserted Clark. "I don't want the papers calling me a hero, either. These powers are a gift and I would hope that anyone who had special abilities like mine would use them to help out."

"Sweets – not everyone is as intrinsically good as you are. Others would use your powers for personal gain, don't kid yourself. The person you are is just as special as the abilities you have." Lois finished her point by bestowing Clark with a wet sloppy kiss.

"You two are really sickening together… it's Elvis and Priscilla all over again," Perry noted. "Except I have a feeling you'll be together forever. There's no divorce in your futures!"

"Absolutely not," they agreed.

~~~~~

Clark dropped off Perry and Alice, along with their limo, back to the Mayor's Mansion. They had decided that every Wednesday, the four of them – to include James – would gather outside the Planet building and then they would surreptitiously 'travel' to a different location each week – courtesy of 'Superman Express' - to update each other on Project BEED (Bring Edge Enterprises Down). Clark and Lois, of course, had their own agendas as well.

Their #1 priority, after the asteroid situation was resolved, would be to do everything possible to help Bernie Klein find a cure for Kryptonite poisoning. Once that was out of the way, Clark could thoroughly investigate the entire Edge/LNN/Luthor Corp/Thorul connection with Lois' blessings. Until that day, they would both be walking on eggshells around both Thorul and Boyle. And Lois still had to inform her sister Lucy that her husband Will Church was probably in bed with the lot of them – a corporate gangster, as it were. That was definitely not something she was looking forward to.

Next on their agenda would be to find some evidence that Timmy Carlson was murdered by Edge's cronies. They would work closely with Maggie Sawyer and Bill Henderson on that issue. Lastly was Lois' personal quest to initiate Operation 'Somewhere in Time' – somehow, if she could psyche out her nemesis and unnerve him, she felt she would be on the road to beat him at his own game. Since she was forced to go to a psychiatrist on the Daily Planet's dime, perhaps she could learn something useful from the techniques that Dr. Deter used on her?

~~~~~

Back in the apartment, Lois grabbed the folder that she had placed the copy of M. Kent's "Letter to the Editor". Clark had one copy laminated to preserve it; there were several other plain-paper copies as well. Reading it over, she wrote a personal note on one of the copies, and placed it in a blank white business-size envelope.

They never communicated aloud in their home anymore about important issues, as Lois was too paranoid to feel comfortable with it. She reasoned that since they had the gift of telepathy, they might as well utilize it.

<"Clark, we're going to need to mail this from the Hotel Del. Somehow I've got to make him think that 'M. Kent' is watching him, disappointed that the 15 year old sweet, intelligent teenager she interviewed has turned out to be a ruthless businessman. And if this has a Coronado, California postmark, he won't go looking for 'her' in Smallville.">

<"Not a problem, honey; we can fly there anytime you want – but 'you', as 'M. Kent', would be about 65 years old now if you were still alive.">

<"That's just it! I want him to think I'm from another time period. I wonder if he remembers what I looked like? I doubt it. Do you remember what the adults that you met when you were fifteen looked like? Well, maybe *you* would, Propaganda, but most of us with normal non-Kryptonian memories wouldn't.">

<"So assuming he doesn't remember what you looked like…what do you plan to do? Disguise yourself? Don't you think it's possible that somewhere in the back of his memory, you look vaguely familiar to him? He may have felt a little déjà-vu when he met you and not know why.">

<"I thought about that, sweets. I could probably use that to my advantage if that was the case, huh? Maybe I should go over to his office to see him and try to feel him out. Perhaps if I ask him about his childhood a bit, I can draw something out of him?">

<"Honey, that sounds dangerous. We don't know what he's capable of, but if he's a Luthor, the sky's the limit.">

<"You're going to have to trust me on this one, Propaganda. My women's intuition will get me through it in one piece. But just in case, I'll bring the cell phone!">

<"Honey – it's time for bed.">

<"It might be bedtime – but it's definitely not time to *sleep*!">

Clark, smiling broadly, grabbed his obsessing wife and floated them to the bedroom. The only sound any undetected bugging devices would pick up would be that of a man and woman, terribly in love, screaming their pleasure to each other, over and over again.

~~~~~

The next day, Lois and the newsroom staff at the Planet anxiously waited for the 10:00 a.m. news conference to begin. Live broadcasting of the launching of the EPRAD missile was the biggest – and about the only – news of the day. Clark was at Timmy's burial services and would be in around 11:00 a.m. The accurate trajectory of this rocket was of utmost importance, especially to Lois. Thinking about her beloved Clark flying in outer space, perhaps to his death – was truly the unthinkable.

Boyle buzzed Lois' phone. "Yes," Lois answered, aggravated and anxious, all at once.

"Lois, would you mind meeting me in the conference room?"

Lois thought to herself that Mark's crisp British accent was the only thing attractive about him, now that she had seen through his superficial charm.

"Right *now*? The live feed from EPRAD is about to begin!" she countered.

"I'm fairly certain that "right now" in America means the same bloody thing it does in England! Yes, Lois, right *now*!"

She hung up the phone in response, and, grabbing her notepad, hastened to the conference room. The sooner this meeting started, whatever it was about, the sooner she'd be back at her desk. <Figures he would pick now, when Clark's not around.>

~~~~~

Mark was waiting at the entrance to the conference room, and he closed the door after Lois walked through it. He pulled out a chair for her to sit down in.

"Thanks for meeting with me, Lois. We haven't had much chance to get together - just the two of us - since I've relocated to the States. I have to tell you how much I was looking forward to seeing you again."

"Cut to the chase, *Mr.* Boyle! What's all this about?" Lois asked, her face displaying her extreme aggravation.

"Lois, - *please* call me Mark," Boyle said in a surprisingly soothing tone of voice. "After all, we *are* almost old friends, aren't we?"

"Mark – I'm a married woman – a very happily married woman. And while we're never going to talk about the Brazzaville incident – because I'm sure this room is bugged – I'll never even remotely trust you again, so don't even go there!"

"Lois, I could be your best friend here, or your worst enemy. Considering what you're up against, if I were you, I'd choose the best friend option," Boyle continued, ignoring Lois' previous rant. "You know how taken I am with you. I can't help myself. I wish I had never invited Clark upstairs to the BBN newsroom that night and introduced the two of you. I should have kept you all to myself," he rued.

"Mark, give it up. I have to admit – I did find you attractive when we first met, but in hindsight it was only because you and Clark look somewhat alike - you could be his older brother. Clark's my soul mate and he's not just handsome on the outside; he's truly beautiful on the inside also. You, on the other hand, are deeply entrenched with some horrible mobsters, and you can tell a person's true character by the company they keep. From what I can see, you choose that path because of your own greed. And anyway, I take my wedding vows seriously. I'm not available. Get over it."

Mark's expression turned deadly serious. "Lois, my employer wants me to make your life at the Daily Planet a living hell. Is that what you want? Or do you want to have a boss who can perhaps smooth some issues over for you? And trust me, *this* room is not bugged and I'll deny this entire conversation if I have to."

"I've already been blackmailed by 'your employer' – what else could be worse than that? I'll say it again - I don't trust you, Mark. Make my life a living hell – just try. You guys have never been up against Mad Dog Lane before. I got that nickname for a reason. Are we done here? If this damn rocket doesn't hit its target, my husband is going to have to risk his life to save the earth from a nuclear winter. Your threats kind of pale in comparison to that, 'Mr. Boyle'."

"I'll be looking forward to Dr. Deter's next report, then, 'Ms. Lane'," Boyle said cynically. "I believe you have another appointment tomorrow morning, correct?"

Lois cast Boyle a look to kill, then stood up and left the conference room with her usual Mad Dog Lane flare. Boyle was left sitting in the room with a Cheshire cat grin on his face. After a minute or so, he stood up, pulled a cell phone out of the pocket in his suit jacket, and called a familiar number.

"Good afternoon, Edge Enterprises Corporate Offices. How may I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like to speak to Mr. Edge please. This is Mark Boyle."

"One moment, please."

Several minutes later the receptionist came back on the line. "Thanks for holding; I'm transferring your call now."

"Edge here."

"Morgan - it's me, Boyle."

"Hey! How's life in the States treating you so far?"

"Good. Got to find a way to get Kent away from Lane."

"Well, if he has to go flying into outer space there's a great chance he'll never return. Trust me. Then you can move right in on her. Hey how great will that be? Two Lane women married to Edge Enterprises executives!"

"That's one way to keep an eye on her, for sure, huh Morgan? But she's totally infatuated with the Boy Scout. With my luck, he won't have to go, or he'll come back safe and sound. Where's that Kryptonite anyway?"

"Have you checked the security of those phone lines?"

"This is my bloody cell phone."

"Excellent. It's attached to the tip of a certain nuclear missile that I have on great authority Superman will be carrying into space very shortly.

"Morgan, you're a genius. I don't know how you do it.

"Just keep watching the news. And, yes, I *am* a genius."

"Where's Thorul, by the way?"

"Back in San Diego for now. He has to list his condo with our relocation company and get his affairs in order. He'll be back here by the end of next week."

"Good. White will be starting work next Monday. Can't wait for the fun to begin."

"Meeting this Friday night – the usual place. You'll be there?

"Of course; one of the perks of being here in the States – no more teleconferencing. Good day, Morgan."

"Good-bye, Boyle."

Another blackout darkened the Planet newsroom as Boyle exited the conference room and headed back to his desk.

~~~~~

The missile launch went off without a hitch, but it would be another 27 ½ hours before the world would know if it was a true success or not. In the meantime, Clark had rejoined Lois and if anyone were to look at them, they would swear they were so in love they couldn’t stop staring at each other. In reality, they were having a very heated telepathic discussion!

<"Clark… Boyle just about told me that his role is to make my life miserable here and he offered to 'smooth some things over for me'… you know what that means!">

<"Yeah… sleeping with the boss will make all your problems go away! I hope you told him to go to hell! I've got a good mind to rip that British puke right in half!">

<"Clark… sweets… calm down. I don't care if it means I have to quit the Planet, I would *never* betray you just to make my work life easier. The Lois Lane of ten years ago might have considered it… but this 2003 version loves her husband and he means more to her than anything.">

<"Sorry, honey. As soon as this asteroid issue is resolved, we're going to get some hard evidence against Edge and find some way to return control of the Planet to poor Jim. He's such a mess, Lois. He blames himself for so much.">

<"Boyle assigned us to get the public's feedback on the Nightfall crisis. He wants us to interview people on the street, find out how confident they are that the government's plan will work.">

<"I don't think I should be part of that, Lois. After all, I'm the supposed 'back-up plan'. Maybe you should take someone else with you – Ralph or Linda. I really don't think it's appropriate for me to be there. Do you see where I'm coming from?">

<"I'd rather go *alone* than bring either of them with me! OK, I'll tell Mark that you had a Superman emergency and couldn't come with me. I hope that excuse still flies under the 'Boyle' regime!">

<"Well, it would be really bad publicity for them to fire Superman, wouldn't it, honey?">

<"OK, well walk out with me. By then there probably *will* be an emergency, anyway!">

Lois and Clark took off towards the elevator; just then a breaking news story on the monitor caught their attention. The Superman emergency Lois had just alluded to had arrived.

Word just out from EPRAD and NASA that the missile headed towards the Nightfall asteroid has blown up. We repeat: the missile the world was counting on to save us from a 17-mile wide asteroid heading directly towards earth has inexplicably exploded in outer space. Now it is up to Superman to save the world. Superman, if you can hear this: Please report to STAR LABS as soon as possible!

The elevator door had just opened. Clark grabbed Lois' hand and pulled her in the empty elevator, hit 'down' and stopped the car between floors. They looked at each other and began hugging and kissing each other passionately, with a sense of urgency as if they might never see each other again. Clothes came flying off. The very thought of making love in an elevator heightened their passion for each other, making it a quick, but satisfying experience.

"Lois, please don't worry about me," Clark said in a husky whisper. "I swear I'm coming back; I have complete faith in Bernie's ability to build me a suit that will withstand the rigors of space travel. You're stuck with me, trust me!"

"You better come back, Propaganda, or I'm never talking to you ever again!"

When they were fully clothed again, Clark restarted the elevator. As they exited the Planet lobby, Scott, the security guard that Lois had reamed out before, said, "Ms. Lane – Mr. Kent – have a good day!"

Lois turned around and pleasantly replied, "You have a great day too!"

Scott looked shocked and Clark had a big grin on his face.

<"Wow, that was quite a change of attitude, Lois!">

<"Did you hear, Propaganda… he called me 'Ms. Lane' this time!">

<"See… now *this* I'm gonna miss! *This* is why I have to make it back from outer space!">

They headed towards a nearby alley, where Clark spun into the suit. One more lingering kiss and then he lifted off, heading towards STAR LABS. Lois was left standing in an empty space between two massive skyscrapers, contemplating the distinct possibility of life without her soul mate.

TBC...

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"