OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Chapter is here..

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Wow so Henderson knew something was strange when an older Lois turned up and she has found the kryptonite cage. Looking forward to how this all ends.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
There are now only a few hours until the wedding and I’ve been awake since before dawn despite my very late night last night.
Really building that urgency! She had so much time in the beginning that she could get a job and now she'd really in the endgame!

The only thing I have with me is a small duffel bag with Clark’s clothes and shoes, and I’m wondering what they’ll be needed for.
I love where this is going and how subtle a lot of Lois' movements are. It really feels like an extension of the butterfly effect, and fills in the episode gaps so neatly.

As I’d lived the last few decades of no Superman contact, and after his withdrawal from Metropolis, I realize how much he’d been involved and we’d all taken it for granted.
"We'd," Lois? After their beginning, this is such a sad fate. I think that's what's most striking about this story. She had to take the slow path through all of this.

“I skirt the law, I don’t break it… often.”
That earns me a smirk.
clap YEEESSS!!!!!! Henderson to the rescue!

“Whatever promotion they offer you, whatever job you’re offered when this is over, take it.”
He doesn’t ask me for clarification, but briefly considers my words before nodding and walking away. By the time my eyes clear from the brief dizziness...
Oh, YAY! I'm SO happy she saved him back!

It doesn’t surprise me that a few photographers, likely from the tabloids of the city, had tried to gain access. They had been ready and waiting outside as I fled my wedding with my mother.
This is such a great set-up detail for what we see later in the episode!

I now have the weight of impending death staring me in the face and this time there will be no saving me.
This is part of my this story is so addicting, because there's this amazing, insane balance - we always expect Lois and Clark to be able to beat anything together. And here, to do that, we have to remove Lois to save Clark (and Lois). It's such a tense line!

Looking forward to how this wraps up!

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
Wow so Henderson knew something was strange when an older Lois turned up and she has found the kryptonite cage. Looking forward to how this all ends.

Originally Posted by JadedEvie
I now have the weight of impending death staring me in the face and this time there will be no saving me.
This is part of my this story is so addicting, because there's this amazing, insane balance - we always expect Lois and Clark to be able to beat anything together. And here, to do that, we have to remove Lois to save Clark (and Lois). It's such a tense line!

Looking forward to how this wraps up!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

Chapter 10 will be posted on Tuesday with the final chapter on Wednesday.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Another great chapter. I like how Henderson realizes he's talking to an older version of Lois and simply accepts that. So glad he helps her. And now Lois has found the change eek I wonder what she can do to help Superman? Will she hell him with the keys?

Can't wait for the next chapter.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Toomis8:

Informing you now that this story is officially in nail biter status! After reading this part I decided to read the story it again when complete. So powerful, yet melancholy. Lots of fascinating time pivots (Pamela the barmaid/lawyer and Henderson's murder to name a few) to keep my attention long after the part is read.

Traffic, both vehicular and on foot, begins to pick up around an hour later and I watch two delivery vehicles park in the no parking zone at the front doors. The drivers climb out, open the rear doors, and begin to offload. A security guard and an employee of LexCorp rush out to them and begin arguing. I seize my opportunity, dash across the street, and grab a large flower arrangement from the back of one of the trucks, slipping past the arguing men then heading in the front doors.

“Excuse me! Lady with the flowers!”

My nail biting begins!

“Sorry about that. I was told to come in this way,” I say as sweetly as I can before turning around.

Sweetly? SWEETLY?! thud Someone please tell me where Mad Dog Lane went? Again, this is another sign of her maturity. Lois has gained... patience. Egad!

Not willing to push my luck and end up arrested, I quickly leave. I walk into the sunshine at the front of LexCorp Tower amazed at how busy the street has become. Cars, taxis and limousines are pulling up to the entrance, dropping off their passengers and driving away. I cross the street, slip into the alley, and contemplate my next move. I’ve now got to try to gain access to the building. There had been a few emergency exit doors that I should try.

Aha! There's the indomitable Mad Dog Lane! She's taken the sneaky route rather than dive in feet first without checking the water level! It makes sense that Lois would know the emergency exit doors to the building, after all this place was going to be her home once she and Lex returned from their fabulously exotic honeymoon. Lex probably wanted her to know how to get out of there in case of a intolerably bad situation, like avoid photographers from disreputable tabloids like The Star or the Ditch digger. Those rags had creeps hanging around all over the area.

“Officer, what’s going on here?”

I freeze as I recognize that voice, a voice I haven’t heard in decades.

“She was trying to break into the service entrance earlier, Inspector, and she’s still hanging around.”

“Is that so?”

I turn around, holding the flowers so my face is mostly obscured. “Please, I need to deliver these and they won’t let me through the foyer.”

Henderson frowns at me as I tremble with nerves. I have no idea what revealing my identity to him would mean for either of us.

“I’ll deal with this,” Henderson dismisses the man.

“Care to explain?” He asks, his voice lowered so only I can hear.

“Explain?”

“Don’t play dumb, Lois. Is it still Lois?”

After reading that Inspector Henderson was killed by Nigel St. John, reading this exchange between an older, wiser Lois and the laconic detective was a sheer delight!

I can’t hint at my involvement, even though it’s only been pointing people in the right direction and maybe a little meddling to get Jack out of juvie. Henderson can’t know I was helping behind the scenes; no one can know.

Fascinating. Lois put everyone on the right track. Brava!

I know you’ll do almost anything to get the story.”

That earns me a smirk.

Nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. Crisp writing! dance

“Whatever promotion they offer you, whatever job you’re offered when this is over, take it.”

How will taking either a promotion or new job keep Nigel from shooting him?

Finally, my legs trembling, I see a doorway, with no door, and the end of the stairs. I had noticed the air becoming progressively cooler as I continued and now it’s making me shiver as I’ve stopped moving. I bring my hands together in an attempt to warm them up a little and stare in shock.

They’re - for the lack of a better word - fading!

Her mission is almost complete!

How are you going to wrap everything up with just two more chapters?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by Morgana
Toomis8:

Informing you now that this story is officially in nail biter status! After reading this part I decided to read the story it again when complete. So powerful, yet melancholy. Lots of fascinating time pivots (Pamela the barmaid/lawyer and Henderson's murder to name a few) to keep my attention long after the part is read.

I've managed pearl clutching and now nail biting! clap

I know you’ll do almost anything to get the story.”

That earns me a smirk.

Nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. Crisp writing! dance

Thanks! That was one of my favourite lines in this fic.

Her mission is almost complete!

How are you going to wrap everything up with just two more chapters?

Muhaha.... You'll see... hopefully it won't cause too much more nail biting.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard