Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Sarah's Discovery

My daughter is REALLY excited to share this with you! She is really looking forward to getting some amazing feedback smile

-Bek

1 member likes this: KateSO
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Omg awesome!!! This story had everything: humor, suspense, and an adorable married LnC. smile Please tell your daughter to send us more stuff. Will Sarah get her own super powers?

~•~
Features Writer
Online Content
Features Writer
Awesome first story, and it's a full, well rounded story too! (plot, feels, character development).

Glad Sarah realized what she was doing before it was too late. She has Lois' gung-honess but it's tempered, imo, by Clark’s reason (sorry Lois). I imagine that balance will take her far ^_^ .

I hope Sarah gets powers!

Very nice work hyper

Blogger
Blogger
I loved it so much!! It’s so well written, so funny, and I love her revelation at the end to keep Superman’s secret! And I love a married LnC story. smile1 I’m Sooo looking forward to reading more stories from you in the future! Keep it up!!! clap

Last edited by KateSO; 11/18/23 12:38 PM.

“I should’ve known better than to order chinese food from a place called Ralph’s Pagoda.”
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Loved it! Congratulations to your daughter! She did a great job! I wonder if Sarah will have powers too. I’m glad she kept the secret.

This exchange still has me laughing:

”How could I be so easily fooled by glasses?” Sarah huffed.

“Welcome to my world. We were partners for TWO YEARS before he told me- well actually, I figured it out myself,” Lois said, giving Clark a death stare. Clark laughed.

I hope she writes more stories, especially a sequel to this. Thanks for making me smile!

P.S. I’m sorry but I would have put the quote from the story in italics but I couldn’t get it to work right.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful job. Congratulations to our youngest fellow fanfic writer.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
What a great treat for the anniversary of Ficlet Friday!

“Yes! If you stopped playing around and did your math,” Lois said, pulling out a chair near the math book
This SO feels like Lois as a mom! Great characterization!

“Mom and Dad?” Sarah silently exclaimed. Clark waved to her.
“Oh, no,” Sarah mouthed to herself. She immediately shut the comic and stuffed it in her backpack.
This interaction is just 10/10. If my dad walked into a classroom, I'd hide my comic, too! And I really love that Clark waves to her - even if she's just about silent, Superman can probably hear her lips move - such a fun little hint!

“How could I be so easily fooled by glasses?” Sarah huffed.
“Welcome to my world. We were partners for TWO YEARS before he told me- well actually, I figured it out myself,” Lois said, giving Clark a death stare. Clark laughed.
This is such a great example of their family dynamic! Sarah sounds just like her mom sounds. And I love that Clark laughs at Lois here, too!

And, he snores. Very loudly, Sarah recalled.
She doesn't pull the punches when she's mad! rotflol

This was so fun! I loved the way we jumped to the pieces of the story that we needed - it really kept the pace moving forward, and the discoveries always felt real! And I loved the little details about Clark pulling at his shirt and adjusting his glasses on either end of the Superman rescue! Those details give us such great clues about what's happening in the story.

It's also really spectacular to see a 10-year old put an 8-year old in a story! We only usually get adults writing younger people, and it's so refreshing to truly get a story that's through a young person's perspective and puts a younger person front and center in the story!

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
My daughter has read alllllll of your comments and she is sooooooo excited and happy!

Thank you all for making her day!!

smile

1 member likes this: JadedEvie
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That was great! I would definitely read more. Perhaps she will be a journalist herself. :-)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Most excellent first publication. I had actually thought she might begin to have her own powers kick in on the way to school but to have her have that level of insight is probably even better.

Great job Val--El!

Last edited by Mike M; 11/20/23 02:57 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome to the Forums! The story was sweet and fun. I can just imagine a little eight-year-old doing this. She is her mother's daughter.

Favorite line: Aw man!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Great Job! You're a writer!

Thank you for the story. Hope to read more soon.

Shallowford
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
What a great job! It was funny and engaging, I enjoyed it very much. I especially enjoyed the mental dichotomy of a 10 year old writing about an 8 year old being harped on to do her math. This just tickled my funny bone! =)

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ahhhh!! So fun and well-written!! Great job on your first fanfic, Val-El!! I laughed out loud a few times, especially at the snoring line! rotflol I was worried for a second that Sarah might actually tell people, eep! But I'm so glad she realized in time why it's so important to keep the secret! I really liked that she figured that out on her own rather than getting a long lecture/talk from her parents. laugh

I hope we see more from you! Maybe more of Sarah's adventures??

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
From Val-El:

smile1

Thank you for all your comments!! I will definitely try to write a sequel using your suggestions!! I would love to see Sarah have superpowers as well!!

thumbsup

-Val

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Val-El!

This wonderful little ficlet was written by my daughter, who is ten!
Awww…a ficlet from Bek’s FoLClet! Welcome to the fun, Val-El wave

She started writing this after she finished watching the final episode of the show, and she just HAD to write SOMETHING to show what happened to the baby Lois and Clark found.
And so the legacy of distraught FoLC continues into the next generation.

Summary: Eight years after Lois and Clark find a baby in a bassinet, they raise a growing child who is—unsurprisingly—a lot like her mom.
They do say ‘write what you know’ clap

What will happen when she discovers something “super” about her dad?

Sarah’s Discovery
By Val-El
He knows how to cook!
He can set the time on the VCR!

“Isn’t he so cool?” 8-year-old Sarah Kent said, shoving a Superman comic into her father’s face.
Truly her mother’s daughter.

“Yes! If you stopped playing around and did your math,” Lois said, pulling out a chair near the math book, “you haven’t written even a dot in it. It looks brand new!”
I imagine another life experience talking. Bek, you know that you only need math when you need to calculate the word total or the number of Kerth awards you get.

“you haven’t written even a dot in it. It looks brand new!”

“No! If one of us had powers like Superman!” Sarah said, causing her parents awkward expressions.
Parental unit, go straight to ‘ignore’, don’t pass ‘go’, don’t take 200.

“You guys are busy doing work all the time. And Daddy, you’re always running off unexpectedly. There’s no way you’d have time to be Superman!”
Sounds reasonable.

Clark pretend-flew her over to the chair, and sat her in it.

“Now do your math, sweetie.”
Another super power manifests itself.

She sighed and started writing out equations for basic adding. Each page only had a few questions, though she only had time for one page before she had to go to school.
No super speed yet.

The only reason she liked going to school is because the classroom was warm, though her luck ran out when they decided to take class outside.
/Waits for her invulnerability to set in/
“Moo-om! I’m not cold!

While everyone else was paying attention closely, Sarah was reading a Superman comic as usual
Oh boy. I wonder if she got that from her mother and what kind of student Lois would have been if not for her father’s constant criticism.

Though she got interested when the teacher mentioned newspapers.
The she learned they would be reading the Met Star and she went back to her own quality paper.

“The school will be making a newspaper this week. To help us with this, the school has brought in two well known reporters. Lois Lane and Clark Kent!”
And there goes the street cred!

Suddenly, Clark’s face became filled with a distant expression. Lois whispered something to him.

“I-I-um, I have to go. I’m sorry.” He told the class. He raced off to the side, pulling down his shirt.
That should go over well. Teenage Sarah’s gonna be a handful.

Sarah, you will be our journalist.”

“What?!”

Sarah didn’t talk much on the drive home.
Favoritism!

“Don’t you like that we signed you up for journalism? It’s fun, that is, if you’re not brushing death constantly,” Lois said, realizing she just made it worse.
Yeah, not really a subject matter for eight-year-olds.

“It’ll be fun. I promise. We’ll be partners!”
And just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse.

Clark walked into the house, tightening his bowtie.

“What’d I miss?” he said, straightening his glasses.
Great work on those action tags!

“Sweetie, journalism is fun. As long as you’re not close to dying, you’ll never want to stop. And, me and your mom don’t want to stop, though we almost die every day!” Clark exclaimed.
Clark! You really want to give Sarah nightmares?

“I guess I’m tired, too,” Lois stated.

“How about we call it a day?” Clark asked. Lois yawned again.

“Sounds good to me.”
Reading this after a long day at work so all that yawning isn’t really helpful!

Suddenly, she tripped on a carpet and fell onto the wall. She heard a click, and the large living-room-bookcase twisted into the wall.
Oops?

“Sarah? What are you doing down here?”
“snoothing?”

“How could I be so easily fooled by glasses?” Sarah huffed.
Parental influence.

This will make a good front page.”
They did raise her a journalist. One who works at the Dirt Digger, perhaps, but a journalist.
LOIS: Those…persons are not journalists.

Sarah, who for some reason thought she could out-race him.

“Sarah, don’t do this,” Superman told her.

“Too late!” Sarah tried dodging to the side of Superman,
Just like Lois when she’s trying to escape in her Jeep!

he knew he couldn’t stop her from telling everyone.
Well, they could go to the farm for a month or so.

Then, find her teacher. Finally, tell her Superman’s secrets!
That will be a surprise when her teacher won’t believe her.

The great Superman forgets to pick up the dry cleaning!” It was true. He had done that more than once.
Usually when there’ll be a Superman rescue on the news the next day. It’s well executed how you show us that Sarah doesn’t see the big picture but ‘knows’ the truth just the same.

She stopped abruptly, her words caught in her throat. She finally realized WHY her father kept the secret.
/cocks eyebrow/

Sarah realized that the reason he kept the secret—to protect her and her mother. Super villains could hold me hostage to persuade Daddy to do something bad! Sarah thought.
Yes. That.

“Um—Superman is—cool! Superman is awesome, and he helps save the city!” Sarah said as a cover.

“Oh. I was expecting something much more…exciting,” Mrs. McCillbery said. “Well then, if that’s your story, get writing.”
Hey, they’re still just eight year olds.
SARAH: Eight and a half!

“Oh, and one more thing. Sarah Kent, I know you’ve been reading comics in class. I’ll have to inform your parents about your dawdling.” Mrs. McCillbery said.

“Aw, man!”
Great closing tag!

That was great work Val-El! The other FoLCs already spelled it out so I’ll be brief now: you really have a talent for this and a knack to get things just right. We no longer do a dedicated Best New Author category because there’s not enough new authors around each year but yeah, it’s amazing work and thank you for giving me another character to go onto the nomination list for Best Original Character clap

And Bek, It’s been a long time since the last mother-daughter writing team. This is gonna be very interesting in a couple of years clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Bek!! Please tell Val-El that this story is brilliant!! I enjoyed reading it so much!! And perfect work creating an OC! ;D

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I will tell her 😍

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard