Chapter 5: Home

General Lane knew hiding the existence of the new Kryptonian was a lost cause, and considering everything, trying to cover it up would be a waste.

The world was abuzz about the unknown Kryptonian who had saved Superman’s life by incinerating the kryptonite that had been trapped inside him. The hospital had been quick to reveal what had happened after the crowd (near mob) outside began demanding answers after hearing Superman’s scream.

The intelligence community was beside themselves, scrambling to determine who this Kryptonian was and where he had disappeared to with the Man of Steel. And of course everyone else was wondering the same thing.

There was also the man in the metal suit. He had somehow gotten his hands on kryptonite and had technology that would make any military drool.

They still had no clue who or where he was.

What was more, now that Superman was not on the brink of death, the public's attention had shifted to the one who was responsible for almost killing him. The public was furious and wanted answers.

Who or what was the individual in the high tech armor? And why did they try to kill Superman?

He looked down at his phone. Lois still hadn't called him.

Where on earth was Clark?

O o O

Jordan and Jon were tired of watching the news. They had nothing new to report, and the wide range of reactions about their dad being hurt and then more or less kidnapped was emotionally jarring.

Some expressed deep concern for Superman, repeatedly saying they hoped that, wherever he was, he was recovering and would return soon. Others were obsessed with the gritty aspect of it all, commenting on his biology and wondering aloud if he felt pain the way humans did and the like.

Jordan and Jon both wanted to throw something after hearing that talking head and Lois suggested they turn off the television for a bit.

But how could they turn it off? What if something else happened?!

"You think he's okay?" Jordan asked.

"Jordan, stop." Jon tried not to groan. Jordan had asked this or something similar several times over the last few hours. "I don't know, okay? But wherever he is, he's better than he was. That's what I'm focusing on."

"I know it's hard," Lois said, entering the living room. "Waiting is the actual, literal worst. But he'll be back."

Jordan turned to her. "How often does this sort of thing happen? This isn't the first time, is it?"

Jon straightened. Those questions had been on his mind as well. How many times through the years had Superman been hurt and their mom had endured in silence, keeping a brave face as she got them to school and picked them up before making dinner?

"It hasn't happened in a very long time," Lois admitted. "The last was when you boys were 8 months old, but it resolved quickly. Quicker than this time."

"That's sorta good to hear," Jon said.

"Doesn't make waiting any easier, though, huh?" Lois asked sympathetically.

"No," Jordan quickly agreed. "But at least I now know it doesn’t happen, like, every other week or something.”

"Oh, don't even joke like that," Lois said, and she was only partially serious as they all smiled.

And then they heard a sonic boom.

Jon and Jordan both gasped and they all bolted to the front door.

"Dad!" the twins cried as they rushed outside behind Lois.

Clark landed heavily on the front grass a second later and slowly straightened as Lois scrambled down the steps.

"Clark!" She embraced him and he eagerly wrapped his arms around her before kissing her soundly.

After a few seconds, Lois pulled back, running her hands over his chest and taking him in with her eyes.

"What happened? Are you okay? Did you talk to your father to make sure yet? What did he say? And who took you? A rich tailor?" she asked, motioning to his casual suit after her stream of questions.

Clark laughed, looking over her shoulder as Jon and Jordan came down the steps.

"Come on, you two," Clark said, opening his arms as Lois made room for them.

The twins hurried forward and received a desperately needed bearhug.

"Love you, guys," Clark said, clutching them tightly.

"Are you okay?" Jordan asked.

"Yeah, are you? Granddad told mom the doctors said you had a heart attack during surgery?" Jon added in question.

Clark shot Lois a startled look. "I didn't know that. I overheard some discussion, something about cauterization of something, which I suppose if it caused a blockage could have caused a heart attack, but I wasn't really able to pay attention."

"Why don't we go inside and you can tell us what happened," Lois decided. "I also need to call my dad soon."

Clark nodded and followed them inside and to the living room where they sat down together around the coffee table on the couch and chairs.

They all looked expectantly at him.

"Okay, so the man who saved me, his name is Tal-Rho. His parents were Zeta-Rho and Lara Lor-Van," Clark stated.

"'Lara Lor-Van'? Isn't that–?" Lois started, holding her cellphone.

"My mother, yes," Clark finished for her.

"Seriously? And you're sure he's not some imposter?" Lois questioned.

"He's really my half-brother. And–Lois, I need to call your dad sooner rather than later," Clark said, his thoughts shifting.

"What's wrong?" Lois asked, passing over the phone.

"Tal was held prisoner by a government group for years after he had first arrived here as a child. I want your dad to look into it for me," Clark stated.

"Okay. He wanted to know as soon as you arrived anyway," Lois agreed as he dialed.

"General," Clark greeted.

"Superman! It's a relief to hear your voice. Are you okay?" Sam answered.

"Yes, though it's going to take me a few days to fully recover. I'll give you the full debrief, then, if that's alright," Clark said, though it wasn't really a question.

"Of course, though, can you tell me anything about the kryptonian who took you? The DoD needs to make a threat assessment," Sam said hopefully.

"He's actually why I've called. He told me he landed a bit before I did, in the British countryside. He wasn’t found by good people like I was. Sam, he was experimented on for years. I want to know that the group is gone and the people responsible have been held accountable," he said, not bothering to keep the anger from his voice.

"What?" Sam asked, astonished.

"I didn't really get to inquire further, but I will the next time I see him," Clark went on.

"Okay, I'll look into things on my end. So you think he was held in the, what, early 70's?" Sam asked, doing his best to shift gears.

"Possibly late 60's to late 80's. I really don't know how long he was held, but a while, and . . . I get the feeling when he broke out he wasn't gentle about it."

"No, I imagine not," Sam agreed. "So did you find out his name or who he is exactly?"

"Well . . . as hard as this is to believe, he's my . . . half-brother. My mother's first son. Let's just say the last few hours have been full of revelations."

"Oh. Uh. Okay." Sam was flabbergasted.

"His name is Tal-Rho. I don't really know much more beyond that. After he saved me, he took me to my fortress so I could rest and then he left,” Clark explained.

“So you’re okay now, I take it?” Sam asked.

“I’m on the mend. I should be back to normal in a few days. Well, my normal, anyway,” he said, fatigue growing in his voice.

"A great many people will be relieved to hear that," Sam stated. "Well, I'll let you go so you can rest. Oh, and the DoD retrieved your uniform from the hospital. So don't worry about it."

"Thank you, General," he said before hanging up.

He looked up to find his family staring at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Let me get this straight," Jon began. "You have a long lost brother–"

"Half-brother," Jordan corrected.

"–Half-brother, who was held captive for who knows how long by some horrible group before breaking free, and today he saved your life by using heat vision to burn out the kryptonite in your chest before kidnapping you, getting you clothes, and then taking you to the Fortress?" Jon asked.

"Yeah, pretty much," Clark agreed.

"That's a lot," Lois commented.

"So does that mean we have an uncle now?" Jordan asked, bewildered.

Clark blinked. "Wow. I guess it does."

"Did your father check you over?" Lois asked.

"Yeah. Tal asked him to. He didn't want to leave until he knew I'd be able to fly on my own," he said, smiling at the memory. "Anyway, my father said I'll be fully recovered in a few days."

"Okay. Well, I think you should go ahead and get some sleep. You really do look exhausted," Lois said, taking his hand in both of hers.

"You all look pretty tired yourselves. I take it you didn't sleep much. I'm sorry for worrying you all," Clark said, looking at Jon and Jordan as well.

"We're just glad you're okay, Dad," Jon said.

"Yeah," Jordan agreed. "I hope that armor guy doesn't have anymore kryptonite."

"Me too, bud, but your grandfather and I will find him. Who knows, maybe Tal will help us."

"What has he been doing all this time anyway? I mean, does he have, well, a normal life like you?" Jon asked.

"He must. He told me he's a businessman and owns homes all around the world," Clark said.

"Wow! Really? So he's rich too?!" Jordan asked, intrigued and a bit excited.

"Alright. I vote bed for everyone," Lois decided. "We can talk more in-depth later, when we're not half asleep and your father isn't still healing."

Grudgingly (though not really), everyone agreed and went up to their beds.

O o O

"How are you doing, really?" Lois asked once they were alone in their room.

"Sore. Really sore. But at least it doesn’t hurt to breathe anymore," he said as he pulled her against himself as they cuddled beneath the blankets.

He closed his eyes, trying not to think about how close he had been to missing out on being part of his sons' lives and growing old with his wife.

Lois relaxed against him.

"I discovered something. . . ." Lois said after a moment. "But I’ll let you sleep. We’ll talk about it tomorrow."

"What is it?" he asked.

Sure, he needed to sleep, but now that he knew she had found something, he would be stuck wondering what it was about until he knew.

"Galaxy Holdings secretly acquired Smallville's bank," Lois stated.

"Morgan Edge is their majority shareholder," Clark said, though he knew she already knew that. "Why would he be interested in a bunch of family farms here?"

"That’s a very good question. Clark, we don't need to talk about this now, but I think we should consider holding off on selling. Something tells me we need to figure out what's going on before we do anything," Lois said.

Clark nodded in agreement. "You're right. All of this feels . . . bizarre. But . . . how can we afford it? I was just laid off, and, unfortunately, you're likely on the cutting block yourself."

"I thought a bit on that," she admitted. "How would you feel if we left Metropolis? This has sort of been in the back of my mind for a while, but maybe moving somewhere new would be good for all of us. So, we move to Smallville, save up some money, figure out what's going on with the bank and Morgan Edge while scoping out neighboring states and cities, and decide where we want to settle," Lois proposed. "The boys are getting older. Within a few years they'll be driving. I don't know about you, but I'd rather that stage be done outside a busy city. And then a few years after that, we'll be . . . empty nesters. I just think . . . we could use this as an opportunity."

Clark didn't answer, his mind going over all the implications.

"Clark?" she prompted, at first wondering if he had fallen asleep.

"I think that's a good idea. And now that the boys know, I can use my powers, so moving won't be as difficult as it'd normally be," Clark said, quickly warming up to the idea.

"Okay. We'll talk about it more later, once we've slept," she said.

He hummed his agreement, and moments later, Lois felt him surrender to sleep.

O o O

Jon woke up and headed downstairs with his brother following behind.

The house was quiet, and he suspected his parents were still asleep, which, considering the past week, wasn't a surprise.

Jon was still trying to wrap his head around it all.

Somehow surviving a dozen massive pipes landing on them and being told their dorky dad was Superman had already been a lot. But then to have their dad, as Superman, be severely hurt on the other side of the world before being saved by a long lost relative. . . .

It was pretty intense.

Really, he was amazed Jordan hadn't hyperventilated. Jon was finding it hard to keep it together himself.

Although . . . most of it was supremely cool.

Their dad was Superman. The selfless alien who had saved Earth how many times now?

The same person who caught bullets with his bare hands was also the same man who fried eggs for them in the mornings.

It certainly explained how mom had gotten all those exclusives.

Jon picked an apple from the kitchen island and quietly headed outside, not wanting to disturb his parents, but upon stepping outside, he found that his dad was already awake.

Sort of.

He was laying on a cot on the back porch, shirtless, sunbathing.

"Oh! Uh, sorry, Dad," Jon stuttered as Jordan stopped beside him, closed the door behind them.

"You're fine. And thanks for being quiet. Your mother needs to sleep," Clark said softly.

"What about you?" Jordan asked, staring at the spot on their father's chest that had been the focus of so much discussion the day before – and even now.

"I need the sun more than sleep now," Clark said, closing his eyes and clearly enjoying the morning light.

"So it's really only going to take a few days to get better?" Jon tentatively asked while struggling to reconcile the reality before him.

His father had almost been killed less than two days ago and so that meant Earth’s greatest hero had also almost been killed.

He had always considered his dad and Superman to be invincible – but now he knew.

They weren't.

"Yeah. I’ll check in with my father tomorrow to check everything, but I'm probably at about 80% now," Clark said.

"Wow." Jon didn't have any other words.

"Superhealing, right?" Jordan asked.

"Yeah."

"Hm. 'Every power comes with its own burden and responsibilities,'" Jon recalled. "I think I understand the burden with this one, since the kryptonite got stuck in you because, in this case, you heal too readily."

Clark opened his eyes. "That could be considered one, though overall the burden of it for me is shared with the burden of invulnerability. I don't really know how it feels to be sick or hurt like, well, humans. I've never had a cold or had to contend with wearing a cast or even dealing with itchy scabs. I've had to pretend. So–”

"Oh! So that's why you act all weird whenever we get sick!" Jordan said before he could really consider his words. "Uh. I mean. . . ."

"I act weird?" Clark asked, confused.

"You kind of do," Jon put in hesitantly. "You get really motherhenny."

“‘Motherhenny’?” Clark asked.

“You do, Clark,” Lois said, suddenly opening the back door and joining them.

“Oh. Sorry,” he said, not sure what to think.

“Don’t be. It’s really sweet,” Lois said, amused. “Well, usually. Anyway, since all of us are up, shall we fix a late breakfast?"

"Pancakes?" Jon asked hopefully.

“Sure. I can fix that for us,” Clark agreed.

"That sounds perfect, but only if you're up to it," Lois said.

“I am. And I think I might show the twins how I use heat vision to cook the best pancakes,” he said happily as he got to his feet. “Though I want some answers on the motherhenny comment. What do you mean it’s usually sweet?”

Lois laughed and led them inside.

O o O

Later that evening, a family meeting commenced in the living room.

"So . . . we're moving here?" Jordan asked.

"Just for a little while. With Dad being laid off, and the things going on with the bank, this is the most financially sound decision for our family. We're not sure how long we'll be here, perhaps a year, but moving here will allow us to build a nest egg so we'll be in a much better position in the future," Lois explained, though she left out the other purpose, which was to help them investigate whatever Morgan Edge was doing with the bank.

"What about school?" Jordan asked.

"Yeah, and practice? The team?" Jon asked.

"We can look into you joining the team here, though I know that's not the same. Moving here will cause you to sacrifice the position you would have had in Metropolis," Lois admitted sympathetically.

"How about this, to make it up to you, I can teach you two about kryptonian technology and we can look into alternative football teams to have you join if you end up not liking the high school's?" Clark proposed. "I know teenage leagues exist in some places. There are options."

Jon's eyebrows rose. "Really? That . . . that might be alright."

"Dude! Kryptonian technology just 'might be alright'?!" Jordan exclaimed.

"I was talking about the football teams," Jon pointed out hurriedly, looking at Clark worriedly.

Clark chuckled. "I figured. And Jordan, I know this won't be easy for you either, so since we'll be trying the football thing with Jon, if you want a specific thing as well . . . let us know. I'll be taking you both to the Fortress for lessons at least once a month, so that's a give in."

"A specific thing? Like what?" Jordan asked.

"Well, there are community events here as well as clubs. I know that's not your thing, but things are quieter here, the groups are smaller. You might find they're more enjoyable than they had been for you in Metropolis. And there are a wider range of activities."

Jordan hummed quiet disinterest.

"Oh! There's horses. You could look into horseback riding or . . . if you get adventurous, even rodeo," Clark tried, recalling how much Jordan had liked riding when he had years before at a Fair.

Lois gave him a side eye at rodeo.

"Hmm, horses could be neat," Jordan admitted.

"This time will just be a short season. And while I know this might feel unfair or too disrupting, especially since you're just starting highschool, I think the change will be good for us in the long run," Lois said.

Jon and Jordan nodded, looking surprisingly thoughtful.

"Well, you'll be able to use your powers around the house here more than in Metropolis, right?" Jon asked curiously.

Clark beamed. "Yeah! And they'll make moving in a whole lot easier!"

"So you'll show us more?" Jordan asked, getting excited as well.

"Of course! I can even show you where my dad would take me in the fields to practice my powers when I was your age," he said eagerly.

"But not today. You're still recovering," Lois pointed out firmly.

Clark's shoulders sagged in disappointment, making Jon and Jordan snicker.

"Alright, so are there any other concerns?" Lois asked, ignoring her pouting husband.

"So when we're ready to move once we have that nest egg or whatever, will we move back to Metropolis?" Jordan asked.

Lois looked at Clark, wondering how open they should be about the family finances and situation in general, but the twins were getting older. Providing them with a personal example of real world budgeting now was likely a good idea.

Clark took the question. "Well, your mom and I were thinking of scoping out other places. Perhaps a place that's bigger than Smallville but not as busy as Metropolis. We don't really know yet, but with my side activities, finding a full time job for me is a challenge. It's part of the reason why working at the Planet had been so ideal. I had more leeway there than I'd had in other jobs. But anyway, the goal is to find a place that will be easily covered by just one income when we're ready to leave Smallville, so if I can't find a full time job, we still have breathing room."

"What are you going to be doing while we're here?" Jon asked.

"I'll work the farm and do side jobs around town as well as the nearby towns and freelance writing. That'll let me work my own hours," he said. "I might make an LLC with the handyman jobs. Who knows."

"And mom will keep working at the Planet from here?" Jordan asked.

"That's another reason why we feel moving here would be best. With them letting me go, they could easily let your mom go next, and if that happens, the money I'll be making here will cover us. Smallville's cost of living is much lower than Metropolis' and I can begin working and making money right away. If we stayed in Metropolis and mom was let go as well, our situation would be more serious. While we'd have some money from selling this house, that wouldn't provide us with much, since much of the profits would go to paying off the loan. And it would probably be months before we both found full time jobs, which would mean we'd have to make do with part time jobs."

"Oh," Jon said, realizing this move was done for more reasons than he had thought.

"Handling these sorts of things is part of being an adult, so when your dad and I tell you to enjoy being a kid, this is one reason why. However, as much as I wish you two would slow down, you're not little kids anymore, and so learning about these issues now will help you later."

Jon and Jordan nodded in understanding.

"Which reminds me," Clark said. "Come with me, you two. Follow me out to the barn. I wanna show you a few things."

The twins stood up eagerly.

“Like Superman things?” Jon asked.

Clark chuckled, pleased they were so excited. “Yeah. Two things: the ship I came here in and . . . the log.”

“The log?” Jordan asked. “Like a ship’s log?”

Lois laughed. “Oh, you’ll see. It won’t be what you’re expecting. Trust me.”

“What, is it, like, a literal log or something?” Jon asked, confused.

Lois laughed harder.

“Just follow me,” Clark said, a little exasperated now, but also amused.

Jon and Jordan looked at each other before shrugging and following their dad to the barn.

O o O

Thousands of miles away, within an earthen structure in the Badlands, Tal-Rho stood before his mother and the shattered shards of his father’s sunstone.

“I’m free,” Tal whispered.

“You are, my son,” Lara agreed.

“I have much to do,” Tal said.

“You do, but you will succeed,” Lara assured.

“Thank you, mother. I will return,” Tal said, before he vanished.

O o O

The End

Comments