Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
The In-Between Moments is a series that rewrites, elongates or adds scenes. Most of them take place in between major plot moments. Some of them slip easily into the ongoing canon, while others roll right into an alternative universe. They’re all one-shots. They're short, not connected, and in no particular order. In fact, they’re usually plot bunnies that strike when I’m supposed to be working on the other epic stories I’ve got in the works.

This one is just fluff. Two others are written (both season 1), but this one is short and sweet and it just sort of materialized on its own. I ended up with COVID after posting Undercover Reporter, so this was meant to get my brain in gear and back on the longer, involved WIPs. No beta on this one, so any errors are my own.

It always breaks me when Clark sends Superman to cheer up Lois, even when he's the one that's made her sad. It's what she thinks she wants, but she never really gets what she needs. I wondered where the overlaps would start and end if Clark decided that this one wasn't a job for Superman. I didn't write this with the ending in mind already, so I was surprised myself when Superman ended up with a happier ending in the original than Clark did here.

The story is located here: IBM: In Other Words

Thanks in advance for any feedback, always including constructive criticism.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Love the way you wrote this alternate ending to that show but my heart went out to Lois for the kiss that never happened. frown

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
This was amazing. I love how that scene played out, even if Superman business interrupted the best part. Or so I assume. Poor Clark and poor Lois. And you're right, he shouldn't always send Superman for comfort.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Adoration.

Was that what he’d been harboring behind the veil of frustration the last few days?

Was that what had flitted through his eyes just a moment ago?

Swoon. love

His eyes flicked down to her lips.

Her eyes began to flutter shut.

And he righted them, setting her on her feet and swaying again to the rhythm they’d first established.

…what the hell?

Wait, what just happened?! Lois was about to be the recipient of a loving kiss when Clark literally pulled the rug out from under her...

He was probably headed off to meet Mayson. She’d only been an errand after the ball. He’d returned her wrap and now Mayson was getting the glass slipper.

The above line says everything.

Today is over, she thought, in both regret and consolation.

She’d start over again tomorrow, armor intact.

She twisted the lamp switch just before pulling the blanket over her head, and the lights winked out in her apartment.

Closing her eyes firmly against the night, she never noticed the melancholy swath of red fabric that halted at her locked window just as her lights went out.

This is way better than the original. I can just imagine Superman coming back to Lois' apartment after the rescue was over to finish their dance. Sadly, she has firmly closed and locked the window leading to her apartment and her heart. Clark will have to find a way around his work partner's formidable armor.

Bon chance.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Superjan, thank you so much for reading and responding! Lois gets left hanging a lot, doesn't she? As much as she leaves Clark in the lurch while she sorts out her emotions, Clark leaves her that way just as often. ...through usually for much more urgent reasons. lol

Bakasi, thanks so much! Don't those pesky calls for help come at the worst times? So glad you liked how this one developed - always tricky for me when it gets written by whim instead of outline, so your comment means a lot! blush

Morgana, thaaaank you!!

He was probably headed off to meet Mayson. She’d only been an errand after the ball. He’d returned her wrap and now Mayson was getting the glass slipper.
The above line says everything.
THANK YOU for popping this one! Probably my favorite line in this. How crushing to actually end up at a ball, with your prince, and then he spends the night with someone else. My imagination would be off on a tangent if it were me.

This is way better than the original.
I'm swooning myself! That's so kind of you! blush
Clark does seem to find ways around all that armor, time and time again, doesn't he? I think it's part of the reason it's so satisfying writing in this universe - at the end of the day, they're still soulmates. So no matter what you throw at them, it will usually be ok. One of the few relationships where it's truly the journey that matters. jump

Columnist
Columnist
OMG! I loved this. This is how I wished it was. You are right, Superman would come cheer her up when she needed Clark. Thank you for this.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!

Even as the blonde had physically pulled him away, his fingers had lingered until the last second, his look apologetic and yearning, as if he didn’t want to give up touching her.
CLARK: Saying ‘no’ to a woman is considered rude.

Besides, he’d asked her to dance when the music had started.

He hadn’t even glanced at Mayson.
And yet he went with her.

The man could wear a tuxedo, she thought, not for the first time that night.
/Recommends she compares it with him not wearing a tux/
LOIS: *blinks*

Her cheeks heating, she heard herself giggle and wondered when Clark Kent had reduced her to this bundle of blushes.
Officially? Probably in the past couple of weeks.

Funny, she thought, a little hazily. She’d suddenly preferred that her Uncle Mike stay out of it.
Cute!

She moved automatically to the front door, even though her mind was protesting that this wasn’t how the night was supposed to end.
Yes, she’s supposed to be dancing with a Kryptonian.

She tried to quell the butterflies that had swarmed through her when he’d started to sway them. Dancing with Clark felt like floating on air.
laugh

This is it, she thought. This was what she’d been missing all week as Mayson had made her ploy to dig her claws into him. This… attention? True, it was an All-consuming attention, but it was something else, too.
Teeny tiny weensy bit jealous?

It turned out there were two unique men in the world, then.

Superman, the last Kryptonian.

And Clark, the pure of heart.
Eeeeehhh…

And he righted them, setting her on her feet and swaying again to the rhythm they’d first established.

…what the hell?
rotflol maybe there’s such a thing as too pure a heart?

“Thank you for the dance,” he said, looking like his attention was suddenly split.

“You’re leaving?”

The song hadn’t even ended.

“I have to go,” he said, already moving toward the door.
Ooops? Super business? Or super business in the Arctic?

Feeling a bit insecure?
LOIS: No. Why do you ask?

Pure of heart, sure, but the attention span of a mongoose, she thought with rising irritation.
rotflol

It made a cracking noise against the exposed brick of her wall.

It was satisfying.

She threw the other shoe, too, as hard as she could.
You do a great irritated Lois.

Had he been serious back in May when he’d told her that he only wanted to be friends and partners?

Forever?

Had he really meant forever?
She’s so adorable!

Today is over, she thought, in both regret and consolation.

She’d start over again tomorrow, armor intact.
Cute!

Closing her eyes firmly against the night, she never noticed the melancholy swath of red fabric that halted at her locked window just as her lights went out.
CLARK: confused

This was a lovely yarn you spun clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
CarrieRene, aww, thank you! I thought this scene was just about perfect when I first saw it, but of course if left me wanting more. It got me wondering if Clark had wanted a little more, too. wink Thank you so much for the feedback! blush

Michael, hello! wave

Besides, he’d asked her to dance when the music had started.
He hadn’t even glanced at Mayson.
And yet he went with her.
Oh, man - you're killing me! mecry

The man could wear a tuxedo, she thought, not for the first time that night.
/Recommends she compares it with him not wearing a tux/
LOIS: *blinks*
Well, this is a much better idea! rotflol

She moved automatically to the front door, even though her mind was protesting that this wasn’t how the night was supposed to end.
Yes, she’s supposed to be dancing with a Kryptonian.
SPOILERS, dear! lol

…what the hell?
maybe there’s such a thing as too pure a heart?
Baaaahahahahaha. Nailed it. (Or not, so to speak.)

It made a cracking noise against the exposed brick of her wall.
It was satisfying.
She threw the other shoe, too, as hard as she could.
You do a great irritated Lois.
Thank you so much! Teri Hatcher gave us a lot to work with. I don't get to be irritated out loud very much irl, so Lois helps me out vicariously.

This was a lovely yarn you spun
Thank you! I always appreciate seeing stories through your lens! Thanks for taking the time to comment on this little one!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!

Baaaahahahahaha. Nailed it. (Or not, so to speak.)
evil

Thank you! I always appreciate seeing stories through your lens! Thanks for taking the time to comment on this little one!
smile1

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
1 member likes this: JadedEvie
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Even as the blonde had physically pulled him away, his fingers had lingered until the last second, his look apologetic and yearning, as if he didn’t want to give up touching her.

Oh, I love this line! Very well written and ... gahh isn't that just the truth of how he's feeling?? GAH!

She let her eyes close again as the feeling of his warm hand ghosted across her lower back, a sensual extension of his usual polite touch there.

OMG! I'm suuuuuch a sucker for his hand on the lower back thing. HUGE. And this... omg how beautifully put!!! Wow!

Her cheeks heating, she heard herself giggle and wondered when Clark Kent had reduced her to this bundle of blushes.

Ahhh! I love this! And... "bundle of blushes" OMG that's great!

Something flickered across his gaze and she tilted her head, trying to capture it. Whatever it was, he’d stowed it away again.

Such magical wording!!

And sigh... I could really quote so many lines, but I haven't the time! You have so many wonderful turns of phrase in here! And OMG the WAFFY was about to kill me... until that call for help crushed my heart. mecry

Gahhhh!! I suppose I shall live! wink

Always looking forward to seeing more from you!!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Such lovely, evocative writing! I really enjoyhow you capture the moment they are in you use phrases like 'bundle of blushes' =)

J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Sara, you're so, so kind! Your enthusiasm is always SO encouraging!
And I'm a sucker for that hand on the lower back thing, too. I feel like I'm in danger of overusing it, but it's SUCH a defining little characteristic of their romance! I just can't resist. It's going to show up in just about every story I write. lol

PuffyTiger, thank you so much! I really appreciate your popping in to offer such nice words. I always felt like this scene was much more atmospheric in my memory somehow, as if my remembrance of the romance heightened it. So I tried to write it to feel the way I felt about that heightened memory. "Bundle of blushes" was a darling that I almost killed several times - I'm so glad I didn't! Thanks, again! blush

T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
I’m a sucker for heart wrenching endings and this was amazing. Lois being frustrated and throwing shoes, plus the added touch of Superman at her window but she’s unaware. Perfectly sweet and sad.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard