TOC

Chapter 28:

Lois tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, feeling both hot and cold at the same time. Beads of sweat covered her forehead as she looked toward the doors of the laboratory, waiting for inspiration to hit. While she’d been trying to convince Clark that she could obtain kryptonite, she’d felt a lot more optimistic about her endeavor then than she did now. In fact, she felt increasingly sick with every passing minute. Although it was way past the time most workdays usually ended, scientists still left the laboratories at irregular intervals.

Would it be easier to sneak inside the lab while people were still working there, or should she try to break in when the facility was closed? She didn’t know how long that might even take.

Next to her Jimmy had slipped down in his seat and not-so-unobtrusively eyed the main entrance with a pair of binoculars. He looked like a caricature right out of a bad spy movie. Any other day, Lois might have laughed at his eagerness combined with an unhealthy dose of inexperience. But today the sight of him only made her feel worse. If only Clark were by her side. When he was near, she had the confidence to jump right in without a plan, because she knew things would just fall into place somehow.

She couldn’t quite help the wry realization that there was a good chance Clark made them fall into place without her noticing. It was another thing she’d never realized about him. Would they have written as many front page stories if Clark hadn’t secretly helped them along? And he’d never bragged about it, either, because that just wasn’t in his nature.

“Who or what are we waiting for?” Jimmy pulled her from her thoughts.

Lois heaved a sigh and gripped the steering wheel tighter. “For me to work up the courage to go inside.”

Jimmy raised his brows. “I thought we were going to follow one of the scientists or something.”

Lois bit her lip. Could she tell him? If Clark were her unsuspecting partner in crime, he’d probably start with listing all the reasons why breaking into S.T.A.R. Labs was a bad idea, before he’d fold under her stare and come along, because partners backed each other up. Lois was clueless how Jimmy would react to the suggestion. She knew that his moral compass was a lot more flexible than Clark’s- after all, Jimmy had been the one to show her how to pick locks. But stealing kryptonite from a secret vault might be too much even for him.

Well, she couldn’t leave him in the dark forever, unless of course someone decided to deliver the kryptonite directly to her car. She snorted at the thought. Yeah, fat chance of that happening.

Jimmy looked a little crestfallen. “I’m sorry, I know I’m not Clark. He would probably know what to do right now. And I still don’t really understand why you took me on this assignment, so-”

Lois felt her stomach twist with guilt. Had he thought that she’d been laughing about him?

“I wasn’t making fun of you. Sorry if it seemed that way.” She took a deep, steadying breath before she looked at him again. “We’re here because we’re going to steal kryptonite.”

Jimmy gasped and turned white as a sheet. “You cannot mean that!”

His eyes were wide and his lower lip was trembling slightly. Lois’ heart went out to him. She shouldn’t be dragging him into this. But the truth was that she needed him.

“I can’t do this without you,” she pleaded despite herself. “You’re much better with all this tech stuff and picking locks than I am. What this Rick Grant guy told us this morning is true. Superman really blew up the docks. Believe it or not, Lex Luthor is still alive and he’s managed to gain control over Superman. There is no other way to stop him than with kryptonite.”

“You’re not going to kill him, are you?” Jimmy croaked.

Lois shook her head. “Of course not! I just need to be able to weaken him long enough that he comes back to his senses.”

Doubt was written all over the younger man’s face. “Shouldn’t we - I don’t know - leave it to the police to deal with Superman? I mean, you could tell them what’s going on and they could get the kryptonite and do what’s necessary. I’m sure nobody would want to kill him. He’s a hero and…”

She couldn’t help but smile at her friend’s unwavering belief in the superhero. If he knew the truth, would he still be on Superman’s side? If she told him that it was really Clark’s life that was at stake, would he be more inclined to barge into S.T.A.R. Labs to save his friend? A gut feeling told Lois that he would. Jimmy had admired Clark from day one; they’d worked together to reveal the truth about Lex. Unlike her, Jimmy had realized early on that Clark repaid friendship with fierce loyalty. She’d mistaken his quiet strength for weakness and his kindness for naivety.

“The police won’t help Superman,” Lois replied. “They have no idea what’s going on, and they wouldn’t believe me if I told them. Lex Luthor jumped off a hundred-story building. Henderson saw his body. I tried to convince him that Lex is still alive, but I failed. Besides, I need help saving Superman - the help of people who don't trust the police.”

For a moment, she considered giving him more details. Jimmy was Clark’s friend. Surely he wouldn’t betray her trust and reveal the big secret to the world. If it would mean that he’d help her save Clark, perhaps telling him was worth the risk. But she also knew that Jimmy was almost still a child, goofy and careless, and if he ever got drunk and started to brag about his famous friend, who knew what could happen?

Lois felt torn. Her gaze drifted back to the main entrance of S.T.A.R. Labs, and she realized that she was just wasting valuable time here. They needed to stop SuperLex before he did things worse than blowing up a dock or leaving people to die on a cruise ship.

She opened the door and got out of the car. “Are you coming or not?”

Nodding meekly, Jimmy put down the binoculars he’d been still clutching in his hands and opened the passenger side door.

His face pale, his lips drawn, he joined Lois in front of the car and turned to her. “Do we have a plan?”

She wanted to say yes and exude a confidence she didn’t feel. The truth was that she was sorely unprepared. Breaking into S.T.A.R. Labs was an endeavor right out of a heist movie, in which a group of thieves would plan their coup to the letter. Only, she was alone - almost - and didn’t have that kind of time or resources.

“We’re going to have to improvise,” she conceded. “The only thing I know is that a Dr. Klein is studying kryptonite. I spent some time looking into him this afternoon. It seems like he’s S.T.A.R. Labs’ resident expert on Superman.”

Lois could see that Jimmy attempted a smile, but it crumbled halfway. “At least I’m getting to witness how the famous Lois Lane works firsthand.”

She managed a small grin that also quickly faded as her gaze fixed on the entrance to the laboratories.

“Well, here goes nothing,” she muttered to herself.

As if to make up for her lack of confidence, Lois straightened her shoulders and raised her chin defiantly. She did her best to cover up that it was a constant struggle to keep her feet from slowing down of their own volition. Of all the reckless and boneheaded things she’d done in her line of work, Lois had never felt this scared. Too much depended on her success, and the man she would first and foremost rely on in a dire situation sat in an abandoned hospital with his hands cuffed to a radiator.

Her fingers felt numb as she opened the door to the labs and forced a smile on her face.

*Think, Lois! Think! Think!* she urged herself.

But other than the useless word floating around in her brain, nothing helpful happened.

“Hi!” She heard herself address the security man at the front desk. “I’m here to see Dr. Klein.”

*Stupid, Lois, stupid,* she berated herself as soon as the words were out. *If he’s already gone home, the security guard will never let us through. You can hardly claim that you’re going to wait in front of his office until he comes back tomorrow.*

She held her breath, clenched her hands into fists and willed her arms not to shake. The smile hurt her muscles, and she had the strangest feeling that she probably looked like a freak.

The man at the desk frowned at her. “What do you want from him, Miss?”

“We have an appointment with him. Look, Mr….” She took a moment to study the name badge on the man’s shirt. “...Parker, we all know these scientists. They only live for their work and forget about everything else. I’m sure if you’d call him… I know it's late already, but he said nine p.m. and we came all the way from…”

“Sure, I’ll call him.” Parker beamed. “The good doc never leaves his lab before midnight. I believe he even sleeps there.”

The guard picked up the phone and started to dial. He waited a few moments, but then shook his head. "He's not taking the call."

Lois' heart sank. "Did he leave yet?"

Parker frowned and checked a list. "He didn't sign out. But coming to think of it, I didn't see him all day, which is strange because he's been pestering me all week about a letter from some hoity-toity magazine he's expecting. You'd think that someone with several degrees could remember that the postman comes once a day."

Lois' gut told her that this was the opportunity she had to seize. "Well, that's exactly what we're here for. Our editor was so impressed with Dr. Klein's article about Superman that he wanted us to do a series of interviews with him."

A bead of sweat appeared on her forehead. Lois had no idea whether a scientific journal did interviews. She supposed not. But she very much doubted that the guy at the front desk of S.T.A.R. Labs would know that. She exchanged a glance with Jimmy, who just stood next to her, frozen in place. He watched the scene, either too mesmerized or too shell-shocked to do much of anything. With a start, Lois realized that by some crazy twist of luck, he’d even brought his camera, which gave a bit more credence to the cover story she’d just invented.

It made sense, she guessed, because he had expected to go on an investigation.

Parker’s eyes widened. "Gosh, you're from that fancy magazine? The Doc will be so elated. Sorry about the hoity-toity comment. To be honest, I'm more into sports. Anyway, I told Doc that you wouldn’t refuse his article." He grinned and slapped his hand on the counter in triumph. "Not when he's writing about Superman."

Lois felt like fainting with relief. She plastered a smile on her face. “Of course we couldn't refuse. We were looking forward to meeting him. It would be such a shame to miss him. Did he really not come in today?"

Parker had another look at his list. “No, he did sign in this morning. Actually, he was so early that the guy from the night shift was still on duty. It seems like he’s just too busy to pick up his phone.”

“Oh, darn,” Lois muttered. “Our boss won’t be happy about this. Not happy at all.” She turned to leave and reached for Jimmy’s arm. “Come on. We’ve got a deadline to meet. Guess we won’t be including the article this month.”

They made it not farther than a few steps away from the counter when Parker called them back. “Wait, I’m sure Doc would hate to miss such an opportunity just because he didn’t hear his phone. I guess there is no harm in letting you go through. He should hear you knock at his lab. But don’t tell anyone I said you could go to him, okay?”

He winked at them conspiratorially and something about his grin told Lois that Parker’s huge incentive for letting them through was the prospect of getting rid of an antsy scientist who jangled his nerves.

Lois beamed at the guard. “That would be wonderful. So, where do we find Dr. Klein?”

“His office is on the ground level, the last lab at the end of the east wing corridor.”

While he talked, his fingers drew confusing lines into the air that were certainly meant to give her the direction. But all Lois was able to see was waving hands. A little numb, she went on, hoping that it was the direction Parker had pointed her to. She felt a hand close around her arm and pull her in a slightly different way.

Once they were out of Parker’s hearing range, Jimmy whispered. “That was awesome! I can’t believe you pulled this off! Is it always like this with you and Clark? No wonder, you two hit all the front pages. Oh, and we need to turn right now.”

Lois still felt dazed. “You’re sure?”

Jimmy nodded. “Yeah, he said to go to the East Wing. This is it. Gosh, we’re inside S.T.A.R. Labs and without permission. This is so cool.”

Lois didn’t have the heart to dampen his excitement. They still had to convince Dr. Klein to hand over the kryptonite, and even after spending the better part of an hour looking into the man, she still knew next to nothing about him. If she wanted his cooperation, she would have to drop the act of working for a famous science magazine.

They reached the end of the corridor sooner than Lois would have liked. She lacked the usual rush of confidence that came whenever she managed to wriggle herself out of a difficult situation. After the last two days she’d had, she didn’t feel at the top of her game. What she was going to try now could very well make the difference between life and death, ironically both if she failed or if she succeeded. The responsibility weighed heavy.

Lois checked the name plate next to the door before she raised a trembling hand to knock.

“Come in,” a muffled voice replied.

Drawing a shaky breath, Lois pressed down the handle and cautiously opened the door. She spotted a bald man sitting slouched at his desk. He was looking through a binocular microscope, both his hands turning knobs at the side of the instrument. All the while he was studying whatever was under the microscope intently, his lips were in constant motion as if he was talking to himself.

Now and then, he grunted something that sounded like a strange mix between an expression of awe and an expletive.

“Dr. Klein?” Lois asked.

He continued to watch for a while longer, shook his head and Lois was just beginning to wonder if the doctor might not have heard her, when he suddenly looked up.

A frown formed on his face. "Who are you and how did you get here?”

Lois bit her lip, for a moment considering if she should keep up her charade of wanting to interview him a while longer and lure the doctor into submission. But what was that going to accomplish compared to taking the bull by the horns? A quick look at her wristwatch told her that she was running out of time, too. She was on a tight schedule if she wanted to make it back to Clark in time.

"I came to talk to you,” Lois said. “I’m working for the Daily Planet. My name is Lois Lane.”

Recognition dawned on the doctor’s face. “I believe I’ve seen some pictures of you.” He switched off his microscope and pulled out a piece of metal he’d obviously been looking at. His lips were a tight line, and she could see his jaw working impatiently. Pushing his chair back, he stood up and rounded his desk.

He had a more thorough look at his visitors and Klein’s expression hardened even more. “Well, I’m not going to answer any questions. Either you leave now or I’ll call security.”

Lois shook her head. “I’m not here for questions. Superman is not himself, and I need your help!”

Dr. Klein pursed his lips. “Not himself, huh?”

He picked up the phone, while his eyes narrowed on her. Klein’s gaze drifted back and forth between the door and the microscope as if he’d just love to throw her out. But he hadn’t dialed yet, so she still had a chance.

Lois crossed her fingers. “I know he caused the explosion at the docks this morning.”

The doctor put down the receiver. “You know about that? How? I only just found-” He clamped his mouth shut and lowered his gaze, a blush appearing on his cheeks. “You better leave now.”

“You were studying a piece of the container, weren’t you?” Lois pointed toward the metal that was still sitting on Klein’s desk. “What did you find?”

Klein crossed his arms in front of his chest. “You know, I can’t talk to you about that. And now, would you please get out of my lab? I have work to do!”

“Please, Dr. Klein, hear me out!”

She looked at Jimmy, though she didn’t really expect any assistance from him. Usually, Clark would know what to say whenever she found herself at an impasse. Without her best friend’s help, how could she even hope to make Dr. Klein understand? She shouldn’t have dismissed him so easily. Maybe, he could have proven to Dr. Klein who he really was, knowing details about his powers that no one else did, including her.

Jimmy’s voice startled her out of her despair. “Someone is controlling Superman’s mind.”

“What are you saying?” The scientist unfolded his arms and now looked curious rather than angry.

Jimmy shrugged. “I don’t know what’s going on exactly. Lois might be better suited to tell you that. But we do know that he’s been behaving out of character, the explosion at the dock only being the most obvious sign. We talked to an eyewitness who saw him throw around containers and cut through them with his heat vision. That’s not like him at all. I believe we're as close to being his friends as anyone could possibly be, especially Lois. She just wants to help Superman, so would you please listen to her?”

A surge of gratefulness washed over Lois. She promised herself to thank Jimmy once this was over. “Jimmy is right, Dr. Klein. I want to help Superman. He’s losing control of his powers, and I don’t have to tell you how dangerous that might be.”

The doctor’s gaze once more drifted toward the piece of metal on his desk. “Losing control of his powers, you say? Well, that would explain why…” He chewed on his bottom lip for a moment before he seemed to come to a decision. Setting his jaw firmly, he looked back at Lois. “Since you already know, I guess it won’t hurt to - but whatever I’m going to tell you here can’t be printed in your paper.”

“I’m not here as a reporter,” Lois said. “Nothing you say will appear in an article, unless you later clear it for me to use as a statement in case the police will officially release information about this investigation.”

Klein nodded, his jaw still tight. “Fair enough. Like you guessed, the metal piece I was just studying is from the docks. When Superman first appeared, I was asked to find out more about his powers and how they might work. I’ve seen samples of things he cut with his heat vision before. Usually they look like any other weld line. Generally, he seems to adapt the level of power to the task, using only the force necessary to accomplish what is needed.”

He went back to his desk and fetched the metal, eying it from every angle on his way back. As he looked up at Lois and Jimmy, excitement had replaced the wary expression on his face.

“This, however, looks like it’s been close to vaporized.” The doctor seemed almost giddy now. “The edges look different from anything I’ve seen before. I’d have to study it more closely under an electron microscope and consult with one of the physicists. But I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Lois took a deep breath. “I was able to talk to Superman while he managed to fend off the mind control. He told me that you’re studying kryptonite.”

Klein paled. “He’s aware of that? We have no intention of hurting him, I assure you. Of course, the government would get access, but only as a last resort. It’s well-secured and-”

“He knows that and he didn’t think you were studying the kryptonite to harm him.” Lois felt her gut clench hard. “But he asked me to get a piece of the crystal because it's the only way to stop what’s happening to him right now.”

The doctor gaped at her, his mouth opening and closing a few times before he managed to ground out, “You want me to hand over kryptonite? Are you insane? Have you any idea what it does to him?”

Lois nodded. “I know better than you think. A few months ago, I had to dig a bullet out of his shoulder.”

“He was shot with kryptonite?” The emotions rippling across the scientist’s face were hard to describe. There was shock for sure, but also excitement and maybe even a hint of disappointment that he hadn’t been there to witness the event.

Lois felt herself squirm under the scrutiny of his gaze, and she was painfully aware of the curious glances Jimmy had for her. However, her younger colleague seemed more impressed with the fact that she’d saved Superman than with his having been hurt before.

“Yes,” Lois said through clenched teeth. “So believe me, I’m fully aware of what it does to him. And I wouldn’t be standing here if he hadn’t told me your name and that it was crucial that I get kryptonite. After seeing what it does to him, I’d really rather not get it anywhere near him. But I know for a fact that we might not have another choice.”

“I don’t know,” Klein hedged. “I’d have to clear it through the authorities.”

Lois felt like someone was pulling the rug out from under her. Maybe it would have been better to just storm in and hold everyone at gunpoint, supposing she did own a gun. She wanted to smack the dense scientist’s head. While she was standing here talking to a guy who couldn’t even hide his excitement about the fact that a crystal could cause her best friend to writhe on the floor in pain… She was beyond the point where she was still willing to explain. She needed kryptonite and she needed it now.

A quick glance at her watch told her that ten p.m. was looming over her.

If Kelly gave up on her or chose to bestow her loyalties on someone else who might be better suited to get her what she wanted, who knew if Clark was going to survive the fallout?

“We don’t have that kind of time,” Lois cried. “If I don’t do something now, what’s controlling him might not be reversible. And then we’ll be dealing with an evil Superman. Do you want that? Are you sure that whatever kryptonite you might have will be enough to stop him then? Now give me that kryptonite, before I must resort to drastic measures.”

“Lois…” Jimmy muttered next to her.

She wasn’t sure if he was trying to caution her or express awe. All she knew was that Clark needed her help and that she’d do everything in her power to get it to him. She assumed a fighting stance, though she had no idea what she was supposed to do if Dr. Klein would stand by his decision not to hand over the kryptonite.

“Please, I’m begging you -” Her voice hitched. “Superman would be standing here begging you if he could. He won’t be able to stop this if you don’t help us.”

Dr. Klein eyed the piece of metal in his hands, and his shoulders gradually slumped. “I’m not sure this is the right decision, but I know that something is definitely wrong with Superman. Let’s just hope that you’re really trying to help him. Come on.”

Lois felt numb as she followed the scientist, who led them to another room that lay in darkness. He switched on the lights, revealing a vault in the back. He went toward the huge metal door and typed a combination of numbers into a keypad. A green light blinked and the doctor opened the door.

An eerie green glow filled the room. Lois’s heart started to race, her mind flooding with memories of Superman lying on the floor, grimacing in pain. The sight would forever haunt her and now she prepared to do it to him again.

*No,* she told herself firmly. *You’re going to do it to Lex.*

Klein pulled out a crystal about half the size of his fist and put it into a small lead box that he closed and then handed over to Lois. “Please don’t make me regret this.”

“You won’t,” Lois said tightly. She stuffed the lead box into her bag, having no idea what else to say now. Thank you seemed like the wrong choice of words.

“If you talk to Superman, would you ask him to pay me a visit once he’s okay?”

Lois nodded meekly. A chill ran down her spine, though the doctor had been nice enough. But she didn’t want to subject Clark to his studies. Particularly in his fragile state of mind, how would he feel about the man’s curiosity? Even more like an alien, she supposed, and that was the last thing she wanted for Clark.

The most human man on Earth shouldn’t suffer more than he already had under Lex Luthor. And with the kryptonite in her bag, she was making sure that Lex would never hurt Clark again.

“I’ll… I’ll get the kryptonite back to you as soon as I can,” Lois croaked. “Thanks, Dr Klein. I know it was a huge leap of faith you took there. I… maybe I can explain everything to you once this is over.”

She turned to leave, and on her way reached for Jimmy’s hand, pulling him with her as she hurried down the corridors, not quite running but walking at a brisker pace than usual. All she could think about was getting back to Clark as soon as possible. In her mind, she was already forming plans. She’d need to drop Jimmy off somewhere or ask him to take a cab back to the Planet.

She passed Parker and muttered a half-hearted reply to his “Good-bye” and took a deep breath of fresh air as they stepped out of the building. Her gaze wandered back to the watch on her arm. Not much time left, not much time at all. She fumbled with her bag and pulled out her wallet, fishing for a bill that would suffice to pay for the ride back.

“Thank you, Jimmy.” She placed the money in Jimmy’s palm. “I couldn’t have done it without you. But I have to do the rest on my own. I’ll give you a call when everything is over. Talk to no one.” She started for her car, but thought better of it. Clark would insist they had backup. “No, scratch that. Give Henderson a call and tell him that he’ll find us at the abandoned hospital in Queensland Park. But I need an one-hour head start at the very least.”

Jimmy stared at her dumbfounded. “You’re going there alone? Please tell me that Clark will be with you! He’d have my head if I let you face such a threat on your own.”

She did her best to smile. “Yeah, Clark will be with me.” At least in some sense he would be. “Wish me luck.”

Lois waved her hand at Jimmy, then hurried to the Jeep and climbed in. She slipped the key into the ignition, starting the car and driving off before she even realized that she had not yet fastened her seatbelt. She grabbed it and pulled it over her, fighting not to lose control over the car as she pressed down the accelerator. Time was of the essence.

Her heart was hammering in her chest as Lois approached the abandoned hospital. Now that darkness had settled, the place was even scarier than before. She listened for voices, for any kind of noise that might tell her what was going on inside. The door squeaked as she slipped through, and a moment later, she almost couldn’t see her hand before her eyes.

Cursing the darkness, Lois felt her way forward, trying to recall where the bedframes stood and where exactly she had left Clark.

“I thought you were never going to come!” Kelly’s voice startled her.

A flashlight lit up and blinded her. Lois shielded her eyes with her hands, trying to see the other woman, but it was futile. She blinked, imagining the scowl on the doctor’s face.

“Did you bring the stone?” Lois asked.

“Of course I did. Do you have the kryptonite?”

The voice came closer, as did the light. As Kelly stood next to her, Lois could make out the doctor’s features, though there were still dark spots tainting her vision. Kelly looked every bit as tense as Lois felt.

“It’s in my bag,” Lois replied.

“Good,” Kelly said tightly. “Where is my patient?”

Lois stuck out her chin defiantly. “Clark is in the old radiology room.”

Kelly pursed her lips. “You sure? No sudden urges to play the hero?”

The impulse to give Kelly a piece of her mind was strong, but Lois suppressed it. Let her think about Clark what she wanted - it wasn’t important. But telling herself that and believing it were two very different things. Rage burned in her chest, and she clenched her hands into tight fists, as they moved through the dark corridors.

Would he be Clark or Lex when they arrived? Was SuperLex already close or was he still clueless about what awaited him? Her feet grew heavier with every step she took. She wasn’t ready for any of this. She tried to tell herself that she was here to save Clark. But how could she succeed if it took cooperating with the enemy to solve their dilemma? How could any of this end well?

She had to believe it, Lois told herself firmly, repeating the words in her mind like a mantra. All too soon, they stood in the front of the room. Lois clutched her bag closer to her body.

“Let me see which of the two men is there,” Lois whispered.

Kelly nodded and stepped aside, allowing her to go into the room alone. Lois’ heart raced. She felt sick. How was she supposed to recognize him? She racked her mind for a shared memory, something only Clark would know.

“Hello, Lex.” Her voice trembled. “Do you remember when we first met?”

She made her way a few steps into the room. From the door, Kelly let her flashlight drift across the walls until she found the man who looked like Lex, who might be Lex... who might be Clark. He was still sitting with his hands cuffed to the radiator, his shirt torn and a piece of cloth blindfolding him.

Lois heard a snort from the doctor, followed by a muttered, “Look at that.”

Lex’ voice was hoarse. “You barged into my interview with Perry because you didn’t want to write a mood piece. That was the moment I fell for you.”

Her throat constricted with tears of joy. “I should have fallen for you, too. I’m so glad it’s you, Clark.”

She knelt beside him and pulled the blindfold from his eyes before she searched her bag for the key to the handcuffs.

“Did you bring the kryptonite?” he asked.

Lois smiled at him, trying not to let on how scared she was. “Yeah, and Dr. Kelly has the stone.”

“Good,” Clark muttered.

Once his hands were free, he rubbed his wrists to get the circulation back. He moved stiffly as he scrambled back to his feet. He turned to Kelly, who had approached them, moving the cone of light slowly over Clark to have a more thorough look at him.

“Seems like you heeded the doctor’s orders. Now don’t forget what you owe me.” Her jaw worked as she handed him a pale white crystal.

Clark’s jaw worked. “Don’t worry, you’ll get your pound of flesh once I’m me again. Stay here. As long as the door is closed, he won’t be able to find you. It’s time to show Luthor where I am.”

Lois laid a hand on his shoulder. “Be careful, Clark.”

He cracked a wry smile. “You too. Out of the two of us, you’re more prone to get yourself in trouble.”

“Said the pot to the kettle.” She couldn’t hold back the tears.

“Really, Lois. I’ll get him to lose control, so he won’t see you coming.” Clark took a shaky breath. “He knows what kryptonite is capable of. And he might suspect a trap when I suddenly lure him here. This is going to be dangerous. Please don’t do anything reckless.”

“Stop stalling, Kent.” Kelly growled. “We don’t have all night.”

Clark set his jaw firmly and gave her a tight nod. With one last, longing glance at Lois, he walked out of the room. As he shut the door behind him, Lois felt her breath catch in her throat. She wasn’t sure she dared to take another one.

She squeezed her eyes shut as she realized that it was all going to come to an end soon, one way or another.

She’d never been this scared in her whole life.

Comments

Last edited by bakasi; 10/17/23 10:37 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool