Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging

POOOOOOOOOOR KAL!!!!!! whinging whinging

He wasn’t ready yet! He was supposed to have four days! whinging whinging

Sara whinging

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
OP Online Content
Features Writer
Originally Posted by KSaraSara

POOOOOOOOOOR KAL!!!!!! whinging whinging

He wasn’t ready yet! He was supposed to have four days! whinging whinging

Sara whinging

I'll add my tears to yours because REALLY, he was supposed to have six days...and then that got shortened to four...which then got swiped right out from under him.

A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Wow whinging Poor Kal.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Glad I got a tissue box ready. Grief.
And his last talk with his friend and the people's distrust. Very realistic..... Wow.

I do wonder how Kal will adjust to the emotions of Earth though. And I hope he's not disappointed with cats.

Can't wait for more!!!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, what an intense chapter. And I will add a few more of these whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging

Can't wait to see what comes next. I hope he'll meet the Kents.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just saw this story posted yesterday and read all three chapters back to back. My heart goes out to young Kal! Can't imagine his loss and how he will acclimate to earth at his age!? Looking forward to this story to unfold! mecry

Features Writer
OP Online Content
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Ailujecarg
Wow whinging Poor Kal.

whinging

Originally Posted by Blueowl
Glad I got a tissue box ready. Grief.
And his last talk with his friend and the people's distrust. Very realistic..... Wow.

I do wonder how Kal will adjust to the emotions of Earth though. And I hope he's not disappointed with cats.

Can't wait for more!!!

Poor Kal! whinging The end scene still gets me every time I read it.

I wonder what Kal would have done or said differently if he'd known that would be his last time talking to Drek. frown

There may be a cat showing up pretty soon....

Originally Posted by bakasi
Wow, what an intense chapter. And I will add a few more of these whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging

Can't wait to see what comes next. I hope he'll meet the Kents.

So many tears for us and yet none for Kal, despite his obvious grief
whinging

The last chapter of Journey is coming soon...so we'll see!!

Originally Posted by Superjan
Just saw this story posted yesterday and read all three chapters back to back. My heart goes out to young Kal! Can't imagine his loss and how he will acclimate to earth at his age!? Looking forward to this story to unfold! mecry

Thank you for reading! His path has been quite different so far... And it may get even a bit more so...

peep

Okay, off to convince myself to post the final chapter of Journey and continue work on the final edits of Friends....

eek

Thank you all for reading this far!

-Bek
hyper

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Oh boy, that was...intense, to say the least! Poor Kal, indeed. HE probally wouldn't be "ready", like, ever, but still...being cut off like that...ouch.
I have to honestly say, I really don't like this versionf of Jor-El and La-ra TBH. I get the sense that they care for Kal in their own sense but the way they treat him here, forcing him to lie to everyone and are rather cold, ignoring his obvious pain an dwishes to spend some quality time despite knowing it will all end, is just painful. Kal is clearly not as emotionally shut-down as it's expected from your typical Kryptonian, for whatever reason. Maybe, he'll find that Earth is ultimately a better ground for him...even if he will certainly feel quite lost for a while.
Yeah, that distrust (rightfully) and Kal having to stand up and lie for corrupt assholes and Jor-El deciding to go "in on it" was really hard for him, I can see that. Especially given what happened right afterwards. Like wow, damn.
Also, why do I get the feeling that Nor-Zod being suspiciously absent getting a big mention, will come back later in some form to bite?...
So Kal is going to Earth now...finally...with all the emotional baggage and a Kryptonian cultural background...lots of stuff to work through, no (legal) identity yet, no perspective...that will be a rollercoaster for sure. Although, with any luck, he'll meet the Kents who may provide some help along the way...and may also be able to introduce him to the fascinating species of cats one day...
Now going off to read the final part.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Features Writer
OP Online Content
Features Writer
Originally Posted by BlindPassenger
Oh boy, that was...intense, to say the least! Poor Kal, indeed. HE probally wouldn't be "ready", like, ever, but still...being cut off like that...ouch.

Right?!? Poor Kal!! whinging

I have to honestly say, I really don't like this versionf of Jor-El and La-ra TBH. I get the sense that they care for Kal in their own sense but the way they treat him here, forcing him to lie to everyone and are rather cold, ignoring his obvious pain an dwishes to spend some quality time despite knowing it will all end, is just painful. Kal is clearly not as emotionally shut-down as it's expected from your typical Kryptonian, for whatever reason. Maybe, he'll find that Earth is ultimately a better ground for him...even if he will certainly feel quite lost for a while.

Definitely, this Jor-El and La-Ra are different because my version of Krypton is a society devoid of a lot of emotions. And yes, Kal is again unique in that sense, but he's also being pushed to feel things that he's never felt before, and he doesn't suppress everything quite as much as the others do (at least, and especially, not toward the end).

Yeah, that distrust (rightfully) and Kal having to stand up and lie for corrupt assholes and Jor-El deciding to go "in on it" was really hard for him, I can see that. Especially given what happened right afterwards. Like wow, damn.

Kal was certainly put in an impossible situation. whinging

Also, why do I get the feeling that Nor-Zod being suspiciously absent getting a big mention, will come back later in some form to bite?...

Interesting thought! But nah, he's just not around.

So Kal is going to Earth now...finally...with all the emotional baggage and a Kryptonian cultural background...lots of stuff to work through, no (legal) identity yet, no perspective...that will be a rollercoaster for sure. Although, with any luck, he'll meet the Kents who may provide some help along the way...and may also be able to introduce him to the fascinating species of cats one day...
Now going off to read the final part.

Yes! And I'll move right onto your fdk on the last chapter of Journey now!

Thank you so much for all your comments! I love reading it all!

-Bek
hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bek!
/Eyes other Bek story warily/ you like fierce competition, do you?

The crystal had been programmed with the exact location to which the spaceship would navigate and the take-off and landing protocols; Kal would have to do nothing.
/Names the crystal ‘L.O.I.S’/

. He would miss her. He would miss his mother dearly.
It’s just two days. They really don’t have enough room for two more adults?

“Tell me one more time, my son. What is it that you will say once you reach Earth?
“Kneel before the House of El!”

And I would also like to pet your cat.”
laugh /waits for Kal to land on the Daily Planet roof/
Goofer CAT: Meow, he sure can pet me!

one-meter tall monster with a long tail covered in iridescent scales, large glassy eyes with slitted pupils, hooked claws for feet, and red and green feathers covering its thick body.
That’s a baby basilisk.

Other times, he imagined something a little less grand—for example, a creature small enough to hold in one hand, covered in a thick, soft layer of fur. He hoped for the former; it sounded more interesting.
But…but…flerken!

His mother nodded and held his gaze for a few
You know, without his parents understanding what he's saying, I wonder just how bad his English really is. There’s literally no feedback!

Now, as he stood watching his parents converse about whether the hyperjump system would function properly given the added weight of the pack Kal planned to bring with him
Ah, so you planned for extra weight. If Clark forewent his pack and had lost his muscle tone, would Lara have had room?

Keeping in peak physical condition would be important for surviving the trip to Earth, Jor-El said.
Aaahhh

and Kin-Ra.
Is he a kinsman on his mother’s side?

“I am Kal-El of Krypton. My mother and father were Jor-El and La-Ra. Our planet exploded and now I have no home. I was Kal-El of Krypton. Now, I am Kal-El of…nowhere.”
Awwww…and a bunny: what if the ship broke apart on impact and he looses his memory?

“Kal-El of no place,”
“Smallville.” According to Lois, that’s not a place.

would like a light…a lantern. I did not bring a lantern with me. Do you have a lantern?”
He should use ‘torch’ in combination with lighting up the park. Or a room. “I can torch that room for you” is a common phrase in English.

And I am an orphan.”
Who has never been petted by a cat.

English word for a child whose parents had died, but he found he did not really want to know
Awwww

He thought about Za-Ra
So, is she related to kin-Ra and La-Ra? Are the children all cousins?

This is fear, he thought, automatically using English rather than Kandorian. The Kandorian language had no word for “fear”; the closest equivalent was probably “apprehension,” but that did not quite fit the emotion Kal felt.
I like all those little bits of details sprinkled in this way clap wonderful work!

He held the crystal up to inspect it. The small, clear crystal captured and refracted the dim light entering the room through a small window along the upper edge of the wall, sending a ribbon of rainbow colors cascading along the white floor near Kal’s feet.
I hope to not end up quoting the entire story…

“I am Kal-El of Krypton. I leave for Earth in four days. And please may I…pet your cat.”
:mercy: His cat petting is getting more desperate.

but in these bits and pieces, he heard an underlying mistrust of the official statement released by the Council assuring the populace that they had nothing to worry about.
I wonder why the mistrust…

“The shaking is merely the tectonic plates realigning and should not cause any alarm,” the statement had said.
That’s true. Only once the alignment fails, there is reason to worry.

Even Nor-Zod, son of retiring Supreme Ruler Dru-Zod,
Ooooohhh

English had a word for the drink—“tea,” he recalled. He gazed blankly at his plate as he imagined what “tea” on Earth might taste like. Would they have plain “teas,” like the brown leaf tea he usually drank? And spicy “teas,” like this, his favorite, made from special herbs or plants?
clap

Your explanation has reassured me, and I will now go back to my family and give them the news that all will be well. Please accept my words of appreciation, Young Lord Kal-El.”
Ho, boy. I see a massive guilt complex in his future. Although, explaining why Nightfall isn’t so dangerous after all will be a breeze now.

“They do not all know you like I do, Kal,” Drek said informally, his voice low. “They do not know that at least part of your explanation was fabricated.”
laugh

“It is true, Drek, that I have been preoccupied as of late,” Kal admitted quietly. He kept his expression carefully controlled and thought quickly for an explanation that would appease his friend.
How about: my mind was preoccupied with a woman I wish to keep in my heart for the rest of my life. And even though I am promised to the young Lady Za-Ra, I know that she can never replace this special woman in my heart.

They do not even know they will not survive, Kal thought, again switching to Kandorian when he did not know the English word for “survive.”
“Lois”. They use “Lois” when they mean “able to continue breathing”. You can get even modify it, e.g. “Lois safe” means restarting a stopped heart.

His jaw tightened as he corrected the sentence using a word he did know. They do not even know they will all die.
Awwww… so sadly poignant.

“I have four days. Mother?”
No.

“I am not ready. I have four days still!”
And that’s why you send them away as a baby – much less tantrum.

“I am not ready. I have four days still!” The words were spoken in English, although he had not meant them to be, and he backed up another step and repeated the words in Kandorian. “I am not ready. I have four days still! Mother?”
Oooooh!

“You must be brave, my son, for great things lie ahead
Like a 250k story.

Find new friends and experience new things
Ooooh, *that’s* how things twisted off from the main road.

and build yourself into the great man I know you can become.
Yes, Kal, English has multiple words for both “great” and “person”, among them “ultra”, “super”, fantastic”, and “great”. And to the other, traditionally you can use both “man” and “woman” depending on context.

And most of all, my dear son, remember that you are Lord Kal of the House of El of the planet Krypton.
So, make sure to remember you are their superior and I they should serve and obey.

Do not forget our family crest, which is a symbol of hope, and do not forget yourself.”
Will he wear the traditional black garb or will he dress up as a court jester?

and looked up at his parents in alarm. A crevasse had opened up between them, separating him from his parents.
So poignant!

He turned back to his parents. The crevasse had grown to about two meters across.
That’s just the hangar opening up so the ship can launch.

Welcome, Young Lord Kal-El. Please press the ignition to initiate the launch start sequence.”
Ooooh, simple enough that a trained monkey can do it. Maybe he does have a chance!

the ship rotated and launched heavenward as its passenger screwed his eyes shut, clasped his hands together, and screamed with grief.
He’s not gonna enjoy rollercoasters. Or Lois's driving.

once his home explode in a blinding flash behind him,
/pst/ wouldn’t it actually shear apart with some jets of lava and a lot of ruble and dust?

. He should use the time to study English more. But he could not convince himself to do anything.
How about counting. He hasn’t practiced counting yet. One sheep. Two sheep. Three sheep.

It was perfect; a full bloom with three broad leaves underneath the multiple thick layers of round white petals.
Ah, that’s the one!

He closed his eyes, dropped his chin to his chest, and let the silence and darkness envelop him.
So sad. Is it okay if I did not miss Lois?
LOIS: No. That’s not okay. Can you believe that reader? He doesn’t miss me interacting with Clark. What's next? Clones? Unbelievable. I’m outta here. Come see me when he gets to Earth and meets me in the woods while I’m at journalism camp.

I really enjoyed your Kryptonian worldbuilding. The huge effort reminds me of Female Hawk’s The Wedlock Wall (on the dark side) and for naughty fun, TeeeJ’s The Care and Training of Concubines. /considers to sometime in the future to start begging Bek to Beta once Evil Reader gets back to Evil Writing and continues The Man Who Would Be King given her master class in Kryptonian stuff/

I also noticed your casual mention of Nor-Zod and how Clark hasn’t seen him. I think he’ll also show up down the road.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Online Content
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Hi Bek!
/Eyes other Bek story warily/ you like fierce competition, do you?

hides

. He would miss her. He would miss his mother dearly.
It’s just two days. They really don’t have enough room for two more adults?

No whinging

And I would also like to pet your cat.”
laugh /waits for Kal to land on the Daily Planet roof/
Goofer CAT: Meow, he sure can pet me!

rotflol

one-meter tall monster with a long tail covered in iridescent scales, large glassy eyes with slitted pupils, hooked claws for feet, and red and green feathers covering its thick body.
That’s a baby basilisk.

Ack! And LOL!

Other times, he imagined something a little less grand—for example, a creature small enough to hold in one hand, covered in a thick, soft layer of fur. He hoped for the former; it sounded more interesting.
But…but…flerken!

rotflol

His mother nodded and held his gaze for a few
You know, without his parents understanding what he's saying, I wonder just how bad his English really is. There’s literally no feedback!

It's impossible for him to know!

“I am Kal-El of Krypton. My mother and father were Jor-El and La-Ra. Our planet exploded and now I have no home. I was Kal-El of Krypton. Now, I am Kal-El of…nowhere.”
Awwww…and a bunny: what if the ship broke apart on impact and he looses his memory?

eek That would be an interesting story!!

“Kal-El of no place,”
“Smallville.” According to Lois, that’s not a place.

Kal-El of Nowheresville?

English word for a child whose parents had died, but he found he did not really want to know
Awwww

whinging

This is fear, he thought, automatically using English rather than Kandorian. The Kandorian language had no word for “fear”; the closest equivalent was probably “apprehension,” but that did not quite fit the emotion Kal felt.
I like all those little bits of details sprinkled in this way clap wonderful work!

He held the crystal up to inspect it. The small, clear crystal captured and refracted the dim light entering the room through a small window along the upper edge of the wall, sending a ribbon of rainbow colors cascading along the white floor near Kal’s feet.
I hope to not end up quoting the entire story…

Hahaha! I love this though! I'm glad so many little things are standing out. smile

but in these bits and pieces, he heard an underlying mistrust of the official statement released by the Council assuring the populace that they had nothing to worry about.
I wonder why the mistrust…

Because who trusts the government? Haha. No, really... sudden earthquakes, and everyone is alarmed and... Yeah. eek

English had a word for the drink—“tea,” he recalled. He gazed blankly at his plate as he imagined what “tea” on Earth might taste like. Would they have plain “teas,” like the brown leaf tea he usually drank? And spicy “teas,” like this, his favorite, made from special herbs or plants?
clap

grin

Your explanation has reassured me, and I will now go back to my family and give them the news that all will be well. Please accept my words of appreciation, Young Lord Kal-El.”
Ho, boy. I see a massive guilt complex in his future. Although, explaining why Nightfall isn’t so dangerous after all will be a breeze now.

Yeah, there'll be a lot for him to unpack in the future. whinging

They do not even know they will not survive, Kal thought, again switching to Kandorian when he did not know the English word for “survive.”
“Lois”. They use “Lois” when they mean “able to continue breathing”. You can get even modify it, e.g. “Lois safe” means restarting a stopped heart.

whinging

His jaw tightened as he corrected the sentence using a word he did know. They do not even know they will all die.
Awwww… so sadly poignant.

“I have four days. Mother?”
No.

“I am not ready. I have four days still!” The words were spoken in English, although he had not meant them to be, and he backed up another step and repeated the words in Kandorian. “I am not ready. I have four days still! Mother?”
Oooooh!

Poor Kal!! frown

“You must be brave, my son, for great things lie ahead
Like a 250k story.

Find new friends and experience new things
Ooooh, *that’s* how things twisted off from the main road.

peep smile1

and looked up at his parents in alarm. A crevasse had opened up between them, separating him from his parents.
So poignant!

Thank you!!!

the ship rotated and launched heavenward as its passenger screwed his eyes shut, clasped his hands together, and screamed with grief.
He’s not gonna enjoy rollercoasters. Or Lois's driving.

Her driving would definitely be worse than his trip!

It was perfect; a full bloom with three broad leaves underneath the multiple thick layers of round white petals.
Ah, that’s the one!

Did you see the pretty flower? Sara made it for me in the Destined: The Graphics post in the nfic forum smile

He closed his eyes, dropped his chin to his chest, and let the silence and darkness envelop him.
So sad. Is it okay if I did not miss Lois?
LOIS: No. That’s not okay. Can you believe that reader? He doesn’t miss me interacting with Clark. What's next? Clones? Unbelievable. I’m outta here. Come see me when he gets to Earth and meets me in the woods while I’m at journalism camp.

I really enjoyed your Kryptonian worldbuilding. The huge effort reminds me of Female Hawk’s The Wedlock Wall (on the dark side) and for naughty fun, TeeeJ’s The Care and Training of Concubines. /considers to sometime in the future to start begging Bek to Beta once Evil Reader gets back to Evil Writing and continues The Man Who Would Be King given her master class in Kryptonian stuff/

I also noticed your casual mention of Nor-Zod and how Clark hasn’t seen him. I think he’ll also show up down the road.

wave Michael

I loved The Wedlock Wall, but I don't think I've read the other one. I'll have to check it out!

And I'd LOVE to BR for you when you get writing again dance

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments. It really was a lot of fun to do all that worldbuilding...even though I just...blew it all up... eek

I'm loving all this FDK so far! Hope you get to Chapter 4 soon and then on to Friends smile

Thanks again!

-Bek

hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bek!

Kal-El of Nowheresville?
smile1

Hahaha! I love this though! I'm glad so many little things are standing out.
Oh yes. I guess it’s something every writer knows. You try to fuzz over every detail, hoping it gets noticed. And then, when you are a reader, it’s always a question just how much to actively engage in over.

Because who trusts the government? Haha. No, really... sudden earthquakes, and everyone is alarmed and... Yeah.
They should have sent everyone a red calming crystal laugh

Her driving would definitely be worse than his trip!
rotflol
KAL-EL: At least the spaceship had a crash safety harness and inflatable safety cushions.

Did you see the pretty flower? Sara made it for me in the Destined: The Graphics post in the nfic forum
Yes! I noticed your avatar first, then the gallery Sara posted and then it was here in part 3 clap And then I had no clue it wasn’t a real flower.

I loved The Wedlock Wall, but I don't think I've read the other one. I'll have to check it out!
Wohoo!

And I'd LOVE to BR for you when you get writing again
Wheeeeeeeeee! party Thanks so much!

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments. It really was a lot of fun to do all that worldbuilding...even though I just...blew it all up...
Oh, you’re very welcome! Engaging this way is such a rewarding way to participate hyper

I'm loving all this FDK so far! Hope you get to Chapter 4 soon and then on to Friends
Yup! /wonders if it’s now time to review the old ‘how far is the next part’ not just for writers but also for readers/ rotflol In all seriousness though, it’s the story part that’s currently open my phone.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Poor Kal, he lost the 4 days, he lost his parents, he lost everything. I'm crying for him.
This chapter broke my heart. whinging

Features Writer
OP Online Content
Features Writer
Originally Posted by CarolD
Poor Kal, he lost the 4 days, he lost his parents, he lost everything. I'm crying for him.

GAHHH whinging

This chapter was heartbreaking, for sure. It's always something I've wondered...how Kal-El would have felt had he been the sole survivor of Krypton, but old enough to remember everything (and to not have grown up with developing superpowers, but to have them show up when he's already almost an adult). The rest of my Destined series explores that (more in part 3, Legacy, than in part 2, Friends)... But if you've read chapter 4 of Journey here already, then you know I made some pretty big changes to canon also wink Hope you read on, I think it's a great story!

Thanks again for reading!!

-Bek
hyper

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Originally Posted by SuperBek

GAHHH whinging

This chapter was heartbreaking, for sure. It's always something I've wondered...how Kal-El would have felt had he been the sole survivor of Krypton, but old enough to remember everything (and to not have grown up with developing superpowers, but to have them show up when he's already almost an adult). The rest of my Destined series explores that (more in part 3, Legacy, than in part 2, Friends)... But if you've read chapter 4 of Journey here already, then you know I made some pretty big changes to canon also wink Hope you read on, I think it's a great story!

Thanks again for reading!!

-Bek
hyper

Yes, I already read it but I can't find the next part. It's very strange to know that there is a Clark and a Kal El but they are not the same person. Sorry if something is written wrong.

Features Writer
OP Online Content
Features Writer
Yes, I already read it but I can't find the next part. It's very strange to know that there is a Clark and a Kal El but they are not the same person. Sorry if something is written wrong.

Your English is wonderful! Thank you so much for all the feedback and for being here smile

The reason you probably can't find the next story in the series is because it's nfic only (contains, ahm, adult content wink ). I should have mentioned that in my last post. If that's your thing, here's the TOC for Friends: https://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/296179/destined-friends-by-superbek-complete

You'll have to request a password for access to the nfic forums.

And yes...it's quite different, this AU!!

Thanks again for reading so far!

-Bek
hyper

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Originally Posted by SuperBek
Your English is wonderful! Thank you so much for all the feedback and for being here smile

The reason you probably can't find the next story in the series is because it's nfic only (contains, ahm, adult content wink ). I should have mentioned that in my last post. If that's your thing, here's the TOC for Friends: https://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/296179/destined-friends-by-superbek-complete

You'll have to request a password for access to the nfic forums.

And yes...it's quite different, this AU!!

Thanks again for reading so far!

-Bek
hyper

Ohh, now I understand... I had no intention of asking for the password, but I can't stay wondering what's next in this story. I'll see if I can get in to read.
my english is bad, google is helping me. =)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard