Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
So, this is it. The last part of the MagiKal AU and the end of my experiment. Guess it worked. When I first had the idea to this series, I never thought I might actually write a whole arch that would lead to this end. The fics didn't turn out as I expected, but I think they are better than what I first had in mind.

Thanks to all of you who kept reading and reviewing. You helped me shape these characters and let them come alive. I hope you liked the ride through this universe. It was fun writing it.

Thank you all and please leave a review.

Last edited by bakasi; 09/03/23 03:16 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
The end? Boo! I've really enjoyed following this series. As I said before, it got me to work most Friday mornings. Thanks for sharing your unique idea and talent to bring it to life with us. sloppy

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked this series.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I love it! The ending is perfect! I was hoping Clark would become Superman. He’s become the person he was always meant to be and it’s sweet that Lois shared his journey. Clark will always need her and his beloved Houdini. I’m sad that the journey is over but I’ve enjoyed the ride. This has been a fun journey. Thanks for sharing your talent and bringing a smile to my life. If you get bit by a MagiKal plot bunny, I would love to read more! Thanks again!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a great ending to a fantastic series! I have to admit when Houdini started pulling on his shirt I thought the hiccups were back.

Lois was so relaxed in this story, not the hard driving investigative reporter I am used to seeing. She was so worried about Clark and how to give him even a slice of a normal life. Case in point: writing jobs as a stringer for the Planet and having him join her on investigations. It was a pleasure to read.

Perry would not say anything about his suspicions regarding Clark’s other activities? Sounds about right.

All in all, thank you for several months of making Fridays a little special.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Sorry I'm late to the party here! I read the last two chapters and then got crazy busy and forgot to come back and leave feedback!

What a wonderful ending! lovelovelove

I loved how you wrote Houdini not liking the costume! lol

Ahhh, just...what an amazing thing this experiment of yours grew into. And thank you for sustaining Ficlet Friday for so long! The rest of us are gonna have to step up now! heheh

This Clark and Lois are truly wonderful characters. Great AU. Just loved it from the beginning, and all the way through to the end wink

Thank you for sharing this magik with us!

-Bek

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is a beautiful finale to a very inventive and intriguing series of short stories. I know you started with a little flight of fancy that took off and developed a life of its own, but you've handled the entire story arc very well. You slipped in little bits of humor to relieve the tension while you brought us along on Clark's journey from involuntary street performer to renowned superhero.

You also showed us how Lois Lane grew from a slightly bitter skeptic about both magic and love to a warm-hearted woman who is more than willing to share the innermost parts of herself with a good man, someone she no longer believed existed. The proverb that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step is shown here to be true. They each traveled their own difficult roads to a shared destination, one which shows so much promise for the future. And I'm glad they're both cautiously considering making their relationship permanent.

One wonders if you plan to submit these little slices of their lives as separate stories or as one longer tale. I'll look for it on the archive soon.

Thank you, Barbara. Keep up the excellent work.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you all very much. This indeed took on a life of its own. I didn't think I would write more than four or five stories, but then things got out of hand. All the encouraging feedback and your love of Houdini the dog fueled me on. It was strange writing a story without a detailed outline. I never knew more than the next few parts at best. Loosely basing the story on the episodes helped, though at first I didn't plan on using more than Green, Green Glow of Home and All Shook up, which were kind of obvious choices for what had to happen. And then it became a challenge to use all the episodes in between.

Thank you all for bearing with me through the whole ride.

I think I will add this to the archives either as two seasons consisting of 22 episodes each. (No, I didn't do that entirely on purpose either) or as one story.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Thanks for a wonderful new take on the series! Definitely going into my Favorites folder.

One criticism of Superman has been that he doesn't have any issues and he's too perfect. MagiKal has issues! You presented Clark dealing with them as best as he can while showing glimpses of frustration, hope ingenuity and disappointment throughout. And you did it with our version of Clark--I don't think the idea would have worked with Reeves, Reeve, Smallville or the others. Lois's journey was equally well told.

Fridays will be a little dimmer now....

Shallowford
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Shallowford
Thanks for a wonderful new take on the series! Definitely going into my Favorites folder.

Thanks blush

Originally Posted by Shallowford
One criticism of Superman has been that he doesn't have any issues and he's too perfect. MagiKal has issues! You presented Clark dealing with them as best as he can while showing glimpses of frustration, hope ingenuity and disappointment throughout. And you did it with our version of Clark--I don't think the idea would have worked with Reeves, Reeve, Smallville or the others. Lois's journey was equally well told.

Fridays will be a little dimmer now....

That's what I love most about the Clark from LnC. He's not perfect. He makes some pretty stupid mistakes and is vulnerable on an emotional level that I've never seen anywhere else. The modern interpretations of Superman and Lois or the new animated series seem to show him more vulnerable. But from what I've seen of these shows (which isn't very much), they don't portray him quite this human because they focus a bit more on the action.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was a wonderful series and thank you for writing it! <3 My only complaint about the ending is, well, that it's an ending. XD

~•~
Features Writer
Features Writer
Really liked this ending, especially the name 'miss-spelling', and poor Houdini not recognizing Clark.
I bet it's super confusing. Same smell, but completely different look....

Anyway, I wonder how Murray Brown is liking things now :P

Thanks for creating this great series.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
clap clap clap clap clap

Yay!! I loved the ending!! LOL at Houdini not liking the suit! lol

Of course Clark has bought a ring already… LOL!! I’m so excited for the both of them and their future!

I also love the nod to Perry knowing—totally my headcanon, and it makes a ton of sense here!!

Ahhh well done!!! Brava!! Such a unique idea and impressive execution!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you guys. I'm so glad you're loving these characters who snuck up on me, Houdini in particular. It was interesting to see my initial vague idea morph into a whole story.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Barbara!

And now for the grand finale!

The setter darted around a corner and stopped a few feet from him, his body all tense and ready to attack
It’s either: “where my crystal?” or “what happen to smell good two-foot?”

Clark took a step back and held up his hands. “Sorry, buddy, I forgot you don’t like the suit.”
Oh. laugh

The setter barked and licked his face, clearly just as happy to see him as he was to be back home. His heart swelled and he was sure that even though their new situation would take some getting used to, they would be fine.
Will they get used to it before Lois moves in and things change again?

But Houdini kept tugging at his shirt and whimpered softly and Clark felt like his world was going to fall apart.
Ah, they have a guest using the bed.

“Oh, I understand,” Clark said to his dog. “You’re trying to tell me that we’ve got a visitor.”
devil

He wanted to pull her even closer and show her exactly how much he loved her.
/Heads over yonder/

Clark pursed his lips. “Not that I want to complain or anything, but I’m really not sure I’m supposed to be ‘Superman’. That sounds awfully presumptuous. Can’t we change the name to something less… I don’t know… less boastful?”
“Service Worker”?

”Don’t worry, it’s not a hiccup.” He stared at his feet, suppressing the urge to shuffle them. “It’s just, your presence is kind of distracting.” His gut clenched as he realized how creepy all of this must seem to her.
laugh

Was this the right moment? Could he ask her to become his wife?
Only after she has been kidnapped by Tempus!

. “I said that there is no such thing as magic and that the only thing I might find out is why you can’t spell the word magical properly.”

He raised his brows. “And?”

She giggled. “I guess now I know.” Then she sealed his lips with a long, hungry kiss. “But I learned something else, too. There’s magic after all.”

The End
Awwwwwwwwwwww

I believe I mentioned the magical-ness of the tale before. You also gave us a wonderful character in Houdini clap An all around magikal (sic) tale.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
¡¡Qué belleza de historia!! Me encantó. Es triste cómo una pequeña astilla le hizo la vida imposible a Clark durante tantos años y aún así logró encontrar una forma de no aislarse tanto y no arriesgar a la gente a su alrededor. Él siempre ayudando sin importar las consecuencias para sí mismo.

¡Muchas gracias por escribir!

bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Muchas gracias. Thank you for your feedback. I don't speak Spanish, but I'm glad you liked this story and wrote feedback. It means a lot!

And thanks to you, too, Michael. It's always a pleasure to read your comments.

Last edited by bakasi; 09/23/23 04:14 PM.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Originally Posted by bakasi
Muchas gracias. Thank you for your feedback. I don't speak Spanish, but I'm glad you liked this story and wrote feedback. It means a lot!

I loved the story and it's so sad that Clark suffered for so many years from a splinter in his back. I am bad at English, I apologize if something is not understood.

Thank you for writing and letting us enjoy.

bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Oh, that's all right. I helped myself with Google translate. English is not my first language either, but I learned a lot here. So, I'm glad you have the courage to post even if it's not easy for you.

1 member likes this: CarolD
Blogger
Blogger
I really enjoyed this story, but I'm wondering, does the world now know that Superman was MagiKal? And if not, was MagiKal ever seen again after Superman's arrival? Probably not, since Clark is now cured, but how is MagiKal's disappearance explained? Oh so many questions!

Last edited by Kal_Elvis; 01/13/24 03:22 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard