Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hello! Part 2 is freshly edited and posted.

I'm still my own beta for this whole story, so I'd love to hear thoughts on what's making an impact and if anything's unclear. It's my first story in this universe, so I'm still feeling it out!

The story began here: Undercover Reporter (1/3)
And continued here: Undercover Reporter (2/3)
The final part will be up around the weekend or Monday.

Thanks for reading!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another thrilling part. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, hoping she would make the conection.

I have to highlight this quote:

In this new colder, colorless life, missing Clark was the best part of her day.
This line was so powerful and poignant. It's as if her life has become so unbearable that drowning in sorrow is a reprieve. whinging mecry

We only have Lois' POV, but I imagine it was also incredibly hard and painful for Clark. He misses their friendship, their routine and their partnership. He is with her, but at the same time he is not, because Superman is not Lois' partner. sad
One part left!? shock I'm looking forward to seeing how you wrap this up in a chapter. hyper

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
1 member likes this: JadedEvie
Features Writer
Features Writer
This was awesome. The interactions and feelings :3 cry
I really liked the snippets of teasing amid uncertainty, especially as Lois sees a side of Superman she doesn't believe she's seen before (but has).
I'm really curious to see how this is going to end....

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
He didn’t look like he believed her, but he didn’t reply. If she didn’t know better, she’d think he was intentionally trying to wind her up.

“I wasn’t! Please, I have a little more faith in you that that!” she said, condescendingly. “Honestly, you’re acting exactly like —“

The air left her lungs.

Clark. She’d been about to say Clark.

She closed her eyes against the slash of pain that lanced through her collapsing chest.

The interplay between them is amazing and painful. The words are so crisp and paint a picture that is so powerful it feels like Part2 of TOGOM. Lois shouldn't be Mad Dog Lane and Superman really needs to be Clark again. How will this be resolved with only one chapter remaining? huh

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is really good. We get to see Lois at her investigative best, Superman protecting her, and some very near misses in the secret identity sweepstakes. Clark almost forgot what Suit he was wearing more than once, and Lois's subconscious is nudging her to make that connection. It's a tossup as to how she'll react when the truth blossoms in her mind - plasma-hot unreasoning fury or passionate relief or something in between. Maybe even both at the same time - she's that talented. I'm looking forward to the third chapter when all this gets resolved.

Or does it?

nitpick: digital cameras don't use film

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Andreia, thank you so much! Grief is a funny thing, isn't it? Sometimes getting through it means really embracing it. It felt like Lois would look for any connection she could find. Even if it hurt.
--I couldn't bring myself to add in Clark's POV on this one. I felt like if I'd written them both drowning in pain, I'd never get over it. mecry
One part left!

BlueOwl, so glad to have held your attention after garnering it in part 1! smile1 I appreciate you sticking around - thank you for the kind words!

Morgana, awwww, thank you so much for reading! You were such a kind, welcoming member of the community that I decided to finally post one of my own -- so it means a lot that you're reading along. "Part 2 of TOGOM" is such high praise! grin

Terry, oooooooo, what a great catch. That camera comes back in chapter 3 (and ALSO referenced both film and digital) so I'm SO glad you said something! This story exists in a multiverse apparently: one where I wanted her to have snatched Jimmy's new-fangled digital camera, and another where I wanted to describe winding the film, lol. I went back and edited to achieve continuity - it's officially a manual camera now:
"Very carefully — very, very carefully, with the fallen recorder in mind — she pulled out the Planet’s smallest SLR camera and double checked that the flash was off."
SLR's get used in low light settings, so this should work out better for Lois, anyway.
--Outside of that - 'secret identity sweepstakes' is now my new favorite phrase, so thank you for that delight! I'm so grateful that this story is hitting those points for you in a believable and fulfilling way. I'm just getting used to this universe, so I'm not sure about their personality balances yet for their most deeply held traits. Lois is certainly talented at expressing several emotions at the speed of light, and one of AnnieM's comments on the last thread inspired me to go back and see if we could push that talent of hers a little further, too. This was never a 'how-to-solve' it piece for me, but there is an emotional resolution. <3

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!

This story is highly addictive. You have a very vivid style clap
“Are we inside the warehouse?” she asked. It was the only logical possibility that fit the blinding night that surrounded them.

“Yes.”
Good. He’ll survive another day.

. She might look ridiculous, she conceded. But that didn’t make her a willing object of derision! Excuse her for being just a plain human with ordinary eyesight,
She’s adorable!

One of her arms wound around him so that she could grip his shoulder, and she felt him chuckle lightly in reaction. Her irritation rose another few degrees.
He loves himself a ticked-off Lois.

That meant the blonde woman was probably in charge here.
Of course. They wouldn’t bring a dame to a business meeting at the docks.

when it suddenly slipped from her grasp.

The arm around her waist disappeared, and for exactly one beat of her heart, she was suspended in mid-air.
Whoops?

Superman didn’t roll his eyes, but she swore she could feel him fight the urge.
Yeah, what’s up with his prioritizing?

During the hostage situation, he’d made dropping her off seem like a chore.
It was probably more painful than carrying kryptonite.

Very carefully — very, very carefully, with the fallen recorder in mind — she pulled out a small digital camera and double checked that the flash was off. She advanced the film as quietly as she could, and leaned forward to get a better angle.
I see Terry already mentioned it smile1

In fact, she had the sneaking suspicion that he was trying to keep her still.

Like that would ever happen.
She’s very self-aware, that one clap

She advanced the film as quietly as she could, and leaned forward to get a better angle.

She felt herself jerked backward and looked up at her current mode of transport.

Was that exasperation creeping in behind his eyes?

What did he think they were here for?
Those details are great!

Lois turned to her own now-brooding muscle man. “Let’s go,” she urged. “We need to get in there so I can get photos of the hand-off.”
Good luck with that!

“They’re opening one of the crates in there,” he said urgently. “Give me the camera.”
So awkward if the boxes contained kryptonite.

or as her temper gave way to fear and she finally called for help in the seconds left before the building was about to explode. That wasn’t the situation she was in now.

She hadn’t even been caught, yet, for goodness’ sake!
Your just have to hug her. One if the most adorable Loises ever!

Lex was just the gift that kept on giving.
clap

It was one of Lex’s special project warehouses, and probably one that stored something nasty, since its connection to its owner had been concealed.
Great job with the background crafting!

Stepping backwards, she headed for the far, dark corner of the room.

“Superman!”
Given the Lex connection, is there really green-k around?

“I told you that you wouldn’t like it fast,” his voice said into her ear.
shock

“Honestly, you’re acting exactly like —“

The air left her lungs.

Huh…

relegating her emotions back to the place she kept them hidden during the day.
Oh boy.

But she’d discovered that if she gave in, it would effectively be the end of her day.
sad

It was long past that time now, and her mind and body were insisting upon their usual routine.
Oh boy. You made it sound like she was healing and now you’re pulling the blanket away. Very well done!

Spinning toward the sound, she realized belatedly that her eyes were expressing her still-raw sadness.

“Lois?” His voice became soft again.

Getting sloppy, she thought, already compartmentalizing
Such wonderful yarn clap

— and reached for the door.

“Ready?” she asked.

The door opened before her hand could touch it.

“Ladies, first,” he said lightly, ushering her through. His hand landed lightly on her lower back as she passed him
Yeah, that’s gonna come back to haunt him.

They had stopped, just like this, and she had caught an appreciative look in his warm, darkening eyes before he’d hidden it. It was in that moment she’d decided that her flirty red dress had just become her new favorite.
laugh

As they alighted into a star-filled sky, she couldn’t help but wonder…

How tempting?
This is such a delicious story!

Okay, sorry for all the repetitive gushing blush

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Michael,

This story is highly addictive. You have a very vivid style
My blush deepens. Thank you so much!

Of course. They wouldn’t bring a dame to a business meeting at the docks.
That seems to obvious when you say it, and I didn't even think of that. huh Obviously the docks aren't a hot Metropolis date spot. laugh

Whoops?
Was this one unbelievable? I know our nearly limitless hero is capable of just dipping down with her, but with the 'fast' caveat coming up, and the fact that he's teasing her a bit, I was hoping I could get away with it.

It was probably more painful than carrying kryptonite.
Ooof, that one hurt me.

She’s very self-aware, that one
Let's call it a work in progress wink

Those details are great!
Thank you, thank you!

So awkward if the boxes contained kryptonite.
I laughed out loud at this. Now I really want to see that happen. laugh SO awkward.

One if the most adorable Loises ever!
Aw, thank yoooouuuu. Just don't tell her that, or she'll think she can get away with even more than she does!

“I told you that you wouldn’t like it fast,” his voice said into her ear.
shock
THANK you for popping this one! I felt like this was my naughtiest tidbit in the story (and a favorite!), and I wasn't sure it played. V happy that it does. devil

Oh boy. You made it sound like she was healing and now you’re pulling the blanket away. Very well done!
Thank you, Dr. Beckett. And I truly wonder how far she could have healed without him. A broken bone will knit, but if it isn't set properly, you're still going to have damage that might leave it ultimately unworkable.

Yeah, that’s gonna come back to haunt him.
OH, YEAH! Big time. When they can't be together, they just haunt each other.

Okay, sorry for all the repetitive gushing
I'm a writer - that's never something to apologize for! laugh blush
I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!

That seems to obvious when you say it, and I didn't even think of that. Obviously the docks aren't a hot Metropolis date spot.
laugh It *was* just a wild tangent!

Whoops?
Was this one unbelievable? I know our nearly limitless hero is capable of just dipping down with her, but with the 'fast' caveat coming up, and the fact that he's teasing her a bit, I was hoping I could get away with it.
Nah, worked perfectly!

I laughed out loud at this. Now I really want to see that happen.
Only one way to find out! evil

Aw, thank yoooouuuu. Just don't tell her that, or she'll think she can get away with even more than she does!
Yes, we must not ever tell those Lois’s about those terrible hidden agendas we have for them.

THANK you for popping this one! I felt like this was my naughtiest tidbit in the story (and a favorite!), and I wasn't sure it played. V happy that it does.
Glad I commented on it then! There’s always a balance on which parts to mention. Umm…I swear, there is! And yes, the more naughty fun a bit allows for, the more likely it is to get picked up devil

I'm a writer - that's never something to apologize for!
laugh Indeed!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I loved to this second chapter and the slightly strained relationship between Lois and Superman. It's good to see she notices that something about the man is familiar beyond the spandex. I'm wondering why he never told her the truth. It would be interesting to have a version from Clark's POV.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I’m working on catching up today! I’ve been so eager to finish reading this!

Once settled, she had to resist leaning into him. She only now realized just how much she had missed this.

While they hadn’t exactly gone on leisurely pleasure flights before, there had always been a shared intimacy in flying together - his arms around her, cradling her to his chest, as they shared a wordless connection and affinity to the empty skies and the sunset beyond. It had always felt both soothing and exhilarating. And try as she might, particularly in these recent months, she could never quite shake the feeling that it was where she was meant to be.

Oh!! I love this!! So wonderfully phrased, and the insights and characterization are just perfect! I honestly wanted to keep highlighting more of the passage to quote, because you go on to have some amazing juxtaposition all about how Superman carries her. clap

“I wasn’t implying anything about you!”

He didn’t look like he believed her, but he didn’t reply. If she didn’t know better, she’d think he was intentionally trying to wind her up.

“I wasn’t! Please, I have a little more faith in you that that!” she said, condescendingly. “Honestly, you’re acting exactly like —“

The air left her lungs.

She closed her eyes against the slash of pain that lanced through her collapsing chest.

“Lois?” His voice was soft.

ACK omg that was great!!

Her shoulders slumped at the dour future that laid itself out before her. She hadn’t married Lex, but she was still stuck with him. Tonight proved to her that she’d be hunting Lex’s ghost for years — tracking down other crates like Blondie’s, ferreting out a story if there was one, and keeping all of Pandora’s many boxes out of the wrong hands. Even with all her skills, her confidence in her own talent, and the inside track on Luthor, the job already felt like an insurmountable climb.

Gahhh! Great insights and emotions here!

“Ladies, first,” he said lightly, ushering her through. His hand landed lightly on her lower back as she passed him.

The sensation of familiarity was excruciating and undeniable.

She stopped dead and twisted back to look at him.

And she really looked at him for the first time that night.

“What?” he asked, studying her face.

Yes, what? her mind echoed. What was happening?

OMG OMG!! This!! Anyone who knows me will tell you I’m an absolute sucker for the hand on the small of the back! And GAHH I love, love, love when it’s used so cleverly like this!

And the whole rest of the part is just a wonderful blend of tension and curiosity as Lois puzzles things out and challenges Clark! Ahhhh!

Because you asked for constructive feedback, I’ll mention my only minor nitpick is that there was just a smidge too much info about the Luthor stuff there in the middle for the pacing of the scene. It’s all really clever and great information!! And wonderfully worded, too! Actually, going back and rereading a little to be sure, I think it’s more the fact that you’ve got Lois’s introspection about the holidays and stuff whinging *as well as* the background info on Luthor as to what’s slowing the pacing a bit. (Also, please know that I ramble a lot and overexplain, so don’t take the length and ramble of this comment to mean that this is a major issue or anything! It’s more of a refinement point.)

In any case, all the emotions and everything are so well done! And we’re so lucky to have you as an author! love

On to the last part…

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard