Chapter 2: Sharing

Clark leaned back in the kitchen chair, thinking over all that he had learned and taking a moment to reevaluate things with Jordan. Before he could decide on a possible path forward, Jonathan came down.

"Hey, Jonathan, have a moment?" Clark asked.

"Uh." Jonathan looked at the clock. "Sure. What's up?"

"I went to the fire-station today," he began as he stood up.

Jonathan's expression blanked.

"It's okay, Kyle just gave me a tour," he quickly reassured, lifting an appeasing hand. "I didn't bring up . . . that. But I wanted to let you know I was really pleased by what Kyle said about you and what I saw at the station. I know I don’t say it enough, but I'm really . . . I'm really proud of what you've been doing, how much you've grown since we've moved here."

Clark pressed forward, deciding not to think too much into his son's baffled look.

"From what Kyle was saying, and from what I've seen from you these past few months, I better understand how important having your own thing is. Something completely your own, separate from all that comes with . . . being my son."

". . . Dad," Jonathan said, his voice thin.

"It's okay, Jonathan. Wanting your own space and ownership is part of growing up – with or without the extra stuff that comes with our family – and I must say, you’re really coming into your own. I couldn’t be prouder.”

Jonathan was speechless and Clark smiled as he saw how deeply touched his son was.

“As you know, I was about your age when I lost my dad, your namesake, but you remind me of him more and more each day,” he said.

“Really?” Jonathan asked, his eyes moist.

Clark nodded. “Powers or no, you embody all that it means to be a Kent . . . and an El. You don’t shy away from hard things and have risen above your past mistakes.”

Before Clark could say anything else, Jonathan hugged him. He happily returned it.

“Thanks, Dad,” Jonathan whispered, taking a deep breath. He pulled back and looked at the clock. "I, uh, better go. My shift is coming up."

"Yeah." Clark stepped away. "One suggestion though, with Kyle on that issue if you hadn't already decided . . ."

"Talk to him," they said together before laughing.

"Yeah. It's probably best to keep that sort of thing in-house," Clark said.

Jon nodded with a smile before heading out the door.

O o O o O

Jonathan knocked on Jordan’s door.

“Yeah?” Jordan asked, lowering his cellphone and looking up from the bed.

“Yo. What’s up?” Jon asked, entering the room.

Jordan sighed heavily, frustrated. “Sick of all this crap with Mom and Dad.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. Unlike you, they treat me like a baby all the time,” Jordan complained.

“Hmm.” Jon turned and shut the door behind him before looking at his brother. Really looking at him.

“What?” Jordan asked, shifting on the bed until he was sitting up and cross-legged.

“I don’t want to start anything, but . . . don’t you think there’s a reason for that?” Jon tentatively questioned.

What?” Jordan straightened, his hands now fists.

Jon raised his hands. “Look, as someone who has earned Mom and Dad’s wrath in the past, rightfully earned it, let me tell you something. If you want things to get better, ignoring the truth and skirting responsibility isn’t the way to go.”

Jordan smothered a snarl of anger. “Great, I should have known. You’re on their side.”

Jon frowned. “No, I’m on your side, even when you’re being an ass. And that means calling you out, as I’d expect you to do to me if I needed it. What you’ve been doing lately has been, frankly, downright stupid. I get that you’re angry, but come on. Seriously, think about how you’ve been acting lately. You’re not doing yourself any favors and . . . I know I can’t understand what it’s like to be you, to be able to do what you can do, but what would you think if I was doing even half of what you’ve been doing? And then you wonder why Mom and Dad are treating you ‘like a baby’? Which, by the way, lately they really haven’t been until your head started inflating and you kept pushing and pushing. You had your own uniform, were allowed to do secret saves, even allowed to fly around unsupervised for crying out loud! And sure, there were some conditions, but dang.

"Do you know how long it takes for first responders to be allowed to do things on their own or even with a partner? And even then there are restrictions. And they’re actual adults!" Jon shook his head, growing frustrated as he thought back on everything. He took a deep breath to keep himself from yelling and continued, disappointment and exasperation clear in his voice. "They decided to give you a chance after everything with Grandpa and stuff, but then you turn around and act like this? Seriously? Way to go proving they had initially been right.”

Jon straightened, watching Jordan stew in rage before him.

“Just . . . you can still turn this around. Stop being dumb and be the Jordan I know, before you do something you’ll really regret,” he said, before promptly turning around and opening the door. “I’m going back downstairs.”

He closed the door behind him, barely keeping it from slamming.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 07/03/23 02:21 PM.