Finally I have my own contribution for ficlet friday.

This was originally written a long time ago, 2007 ish I think. It was inspired by a music video made by symbolicangel.

Unfortunately, the video isn't available anymore.

The story kind of deals with the death of one of our beloved characters and only exists because I was frustrated over losing half of my first story because my HDD died.

The whole thing serves as a teaser for another story.

It wasn’t beta read the first time and it still isn’t so I can claim all mistakes for myself.

And Sara: now you can hunt me down for more old stories and nag me to get them archived if you want.

Criticism is welcome, although I hope you do like this little ficlet.

I have the strangest kind of déja vu or was it a dream?

There are these horrible memories of dying at the hands of Luthor, these images are flooding my mind every time I close my eyes.

But then there is another set of memories, of me escaping his cage, hiding behind wine barrels.

And I can see myself hugging Lois, feeling her relax in relief. I feel solace in her arms, reassuring myself that she is safe in my arms and not married to that monster, who might almost have succeeded in killing me.

These sets of memories don’t make sense, but they both feel real.

I died.

But I’m alive.

For the hundredth time I try to make sense of what happened and still it makes no sense.

Mrs. Cox, Luthor’s assistant, called me - Clark - to arrange a meeting between Superman and him. Although I had my suspicions about going there because it seemed obvious it could be a mistake, I went anyway because I hoped I could avert the wedding somehow. Luthor had me by my weak point - Lois.

We met in his wine cellar - he said he wanted to talk about her. He pretended he wanted Superman to get Clark to come to the wedding.

If I hadn’t known how dangerous Luthor was I would have laughed out loud. In my arrogance I thought he was delusional

My only thoughts in the weeks before the wedding were of how I wanted to use every single moment to stop Luthor - not support him.

At first I didn't get it but then I discovered the danger when it was too late. Of course it was a trap, as soon as I was placed right to activate his plans a cage dropped down on me.

Even then I failed to recognize the danger of the situation, still too full of myself to see the green hue coming from the bars.

The mild dizziness from the Kryptonite coating came immediately but I tried to brush it off.

Showing Luthor my weakness would have made my situation so much worse.

What I didn’t know was that I would soon find out it already was.

With a button Luthor activated the cage, intensifying the small ache to the full blown agony that always comes when I am experiencing Kryptonite.

Within seconds my legs couldn’t support my weight anymore.

As I sank down, all I could think of was Lois and how I’d never be able to help her if I couldn’t escape.

That brought me the strength to keep my head up and get the key. I hid behind the barrels to gather some strength and find a way out but it was no use. Luthor appeared moments after I sank down exhaustedly, took a fire ax from a wall and went down the stairs.

When he saw I wasn’t in the cage anymore he went crazy. He attacked several barrels when he saw me hiding behind some of them. I remember him raising the ax in front of me - the expression in his eyes still makes me shiver - and then…

I can still feel the blade but then another set of memories takes over. Where Luthor gets spooked by something after hitting the first barrel and leaves.

That gave me the chance to leave and flee the place I almost died in. The next thing I know is staggering out of my hiding place, crawling up the stairs.

At some point I changed back into Clark and left the building to find out what had happened and find Lois.

My strength didn’t even match a human at that point, standing up and walking seemed almost more than I could manage at that moment but the thought of my love kept me moving.

Lois was there and we rushed into each other’s arms. She was devastated when she saw Luthor jumping out of his penthouse to commit suicide, I was frustrated that I couldn’t leap up to save him.

All I could do was gently holding her against me to prevent her from seeing how Luthor hit the pavement. I remember hoping she wouldn’t feel me trembling from the physical and emotional exhaustion.

Would Lois put two and two together if Clark and Superman had disappeared around the same time? Probably, if she wasn’t too occupied grieving over her hero… At some point she would have found out I’m sure maybe my parents would have told her.

There she is, standing in front of the building that used to house the Planet.

She looks absolutely stunning. Has it already been two weeks since we saw each other? I can see the hopeful expression on her beautiful face and I feel myself becoming excited over the thought of being able to work with her again.

We wanted to meet here, Perry told us the globe would be put back in its place today.

It feels like a new beginning.

Mr. Stern wants us to be back in business sooner rather than later. It feels good to see the pieces of our lives brought back together after Luthor had taken them away.

Perry probably can’t wait to be back in his office spreading fear in the newsroom. A smile spreads over my face at that thought - he usually hides his soft spot for Lois but he feels for her like a father.

These two weeks gave me time to think. Lois told me she only loved me like a brother and I respect that. My declaration of love made her uncomfortable, she doesn’t love me the way I love her.

The day in the park, as painful as it was, made me realize how important her friendship is for me.

I can’t blame her for her feelings and I can’t make her love me. She has been through so much. I’d rather have her loving me as a brother than not having her in my life at all.

But I can’t stop hoping that maybe one day she will see me as her other half.

For me she is.

Comments

Last edited by KSaraSara; 06/16/23 05:31 PM. Reason: Added link for FDK thread (and fixed missing punctuation in the post header :))

Kathryn