What If...
Top Copy

Hi, I know I have been absent for a few years but I have been motivated to write again. This is just a small piece that came to me (It is short but longer than I had inteended) I have had it beta read, I have used a program to help. If anyone is intresested in being a Beta for me I have some longer stores that Iam working on.

Disclaimer I do not own these charecters (other than the band) I have used come content from the episode Top Copy. The name of the band came to me myself but I found out there is an American footbal team with that name.

Enjoy smile1

What If...
Top Copy

Lois and Clark are, at their desks, each intent on their computer monitors. Clark is just hanging up the phone.

“The fax from Iberia should be here in a few minutes, and we can finally get out of here. Okay... Queen to King one. Your move.” Said as he moved his chess piece on the board they were playing.

“I know.” She sighed. “It’s been my move for a while.”

“What do you mean, I just...?”

“I mean the date thing.”

“Oh.” He smiled. He’d been worrying that she had changed her.

“So. About the date thing...”

“Yes?”

“I know I’ve been kind of avoiding the subject lately...

“Yes.” Was he sweating? Why couldn’t he breathe? He really wanted to kiss her. “... but I’ve finally decided I think we should...” Clark’s super hearing picks up a 911 can and the wail of sirens.

“...fire at Metropolitan Building, Penthouse... Helicopter on route...” The emergency operator was informing the fire trucks that were en route, “Building is being evacuated. Only one man on the roof, the helicopter, can get to him” Clark closed his eyes. Fire trucks were 1on the helicopter could get to the man on the roof. He focused on Lois.

“...go ahead and do it, I mean, I know there’s a lot to lose, but we’re both adults, right? And it’s just a date, right?”

“Yeah. So when do you want to do it?” He said.

“Well, how about tonight? When the fax comes in, we could go, there’s a local band playing at Club 1-2-1. I wanted to go, but I didn’t want to go alone.”

“OK. Yeah.” They both grin at each other. The sound of the fax making them aware of their surroundings. Clark jumped up and jogged to the Fax. “Great, here,it is. I’ll file this, then weS oundo.”

“Well, I think we need to change.”

“Ok, well, you go, and I’ll pick you up in an hour.”

“An hour! You’ll be there? No sudden urge to get a haircut; return a videotape.”

“I’ll be there, I promise.”

#####

Lois was getting ready. She was wearing a pair of ripped acid-washed Levi jeans, a pair of well-worn white low-top Converse All-Star sneakers and a black short t-shirt that was torn at the sleeves and revealed her midriff the t-shirt had the band logo No Saints.

heClark had filed the fax and gone home and changed into a pair of black jeans, tight black t-shirt. He pulled on a pair of black, leather D.M’s and laced them up and then grabbing his wallet and a black leather jacket he left to get Lois.

Clark knocked on Lois’s door exactly an hour after she left.

“Right on time.” Lois said happily to him then seeing the shocked look on his face she looked down at herself. “What’s wrong, I look terrible don’t I, I knew it I wore this when I went to their concert back in high school, I’ll go change,”

“No! No. You look good... incredible.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Shall we go.”

“Yep.” They left. “I really look OK?”

“You look great. Is this the band we’re going to see?” He indicated the t-shirt the logo was two line drawings of wings one in a gold colour was angel wings and had a halo of the top the other red demon like with horns above and a looped devil tail below the words No Saints in a curly script in a pale blue.

“Yeah. My big cousin is the bass player.”

“Meeting the family on the first date.”

“Ha, ha.”

They arrived at the club twenty minutes before of the band came on Clark got them drinks and found them a table. When the band was announced Lois dragged Clark on to the dance floor and they danced together. Clark’s fingers tingled when they touched the bare skin of her navel. When the band finished their first set they went back to the table.

“So what do you think?” Lois asked Clark when he came back to the table with two beers.

“They’re really good your cousin’s a great guitarist and that last song the lyrics were brilliant.” Lois looked at him and leaned towards him and kissed him. She grinned against his lips and they deepened the kissed.

“And what are you doing here young lady.” Lois jumped at the sound of a deep, authoritative, male voice she looked up at the tall bass player who had long dark, wavy, silk hair that went past his shoulders, like most of the other band members he had designer scruff.

“Christopher!” Lois sighed. “You sounded just like your dad. Clark Kent my Cousin Christopher Lane. Christopher is my Uncle Mike’s Son. Clark is my...” she looked at him. “Date”

“Hi, nice to finally meet you, my pop told me you helped him out when he was having gang trouble.” Christopher said.

“Least I could do.”

“Well thanks to you two his restaurant is doing a roaring trade. So what did you think to the first set?”

“I liked that last song?” Clark said

“Oh yeah?” Christopher grinned “Lois helped write it.”

“Really.” Clark looked at Lois.

“Yep, the first song of our next set she wrote too it was our first originally song.”

“Well she’s full of surprises. So are you New Orleans fans?”

“What? Oh you mean the band name no, tell him.” Christopher said to Lois

“The guys in the band are named Christopher.” Lois gestured to her cousin “The lead singer is Nicholas, lead guitarist is Patrick, drummer is Peter, keyboard Andrew and saxophonist is Valentine.”

“Saint’s.”

“Lois came up with the name too. We trying to come up with a name for the band and one of the guys I don’t remember who well he said some uncouth...”

“Valentine!” Lois said.

“Yeah probably it usually was.” Christopher laughed. “Any way Lois said what was it? OH ‘You all maybe named after them but your NO SAINTS’”

“Yo! Toph we’re on!” It was the saxophonist. Christopher held up his hand.

“I better get back. Don’t leave without saying good by kid.” He kissed Lois on the cheek in a brotherly manner. “Nice meeting you Clark” He shook Clarks hand.

“You too.” Clark replied.

“No, getting a tattoo this time.” He left. Clark looked at Lois.

“Tattoo?” Lois just gave a wry smile. “You have a tattoo?”

“Come on.” She pulled him back to the dance floor. The next song started and the crowd sang to the chorus.

“Valentine, Peter, Nicholas, we’re No Saints Christopher, Andrew, Paul we’re No Saints.”

The crowd cheered when the song finished. The next song was slower and Clark held Lois close.

“Where’s this tattoo then?” He whispered in her ear.

“Your right hand is almost on it.” She said and stared into his eyes. Clark looked at his right hand which was on the small of her back and he was shocked to see that his pinkie and ring finger had slipped behind the waist of her jeans, he moved it up. “One day I might show it to you.” Clark swallowed.

#####

The next day Lois and Clark stepped off the elevator onto the newsroom floor. They had gone to breakfast together that morning.

“Lois, CK there you guys are,” Jimmy said as he ran up the ramp towards them. “Chief’s looking for you.”

“Why?” Lois said she looked at Clark who looked just as confused.

“Have you guys not heard?”

“Heard what Jimmy?” Clark pressed him.

“Diana Stride took a high dive off the Metropolitan Building.”

“What?” Both Lois and Clark said.

“LANE! KENT!” Perry’s voiced boomed “My office.” The two of them looked over to him then at each other and headed to Perry’s office.

“What’s up Chief?” Lois asked in false cheery tone.

“What’s up is one of Metropolis’ most famous celebrities jumped from the penthouse floor of the Metropolitan Building and THE most famous celebrities didn’t save her.”

“What do you mean?”

“Superman! He didn’t show to the fire.”

“Well maybe he was on another rescue.” Lois said defensively of the superhero.

“Well, Diana’s camera man was rescued by the helicopter and is currently at the 12th Street precinct and he won’t talk until he’s spoken to the pair of you.”

“Us?” Clark asked “Why us?”

“Get your butts down there and find out.” Perry ordered. Another glance at each other before they stood and left.

#####

Lois and Clark returned an hour later and were sat in the conference room giving the cameraman’s account of the fire and Diana’s suicide. To Perry and Jimmy.

“So this Rolf, was reluctant to talk to start, but then when he got going it was difficult to stop him.” Clark informed his boss.

“You’re forgetting to mention it was in French.” Lois said to Clark.

“You speak French though?” Perry asked.

“Well yeah but he was going a mile a minute I couldn’t catch all of it” Lois replied and looked at Clark “however well travelled man here understood.” She smiled at him. Perry and Jimmy both looked at Clark.

“Well, it was a lure for Superman.” Clark informed the other two. “Diana set the fire and jumped from the penthouse balcony expecting to be saved.”

“Now why on Earth would she do that?” Perry asked the two off them.

“Well according to Rolf she was wanting to do a story do him.” Lois explained “Her plan was to tag him with some sort of radio isotope and try to track him to see if he has a secret identity.”

“Well, that is some story.” Perry said.

“I wonder why Superman didn’t show.” Jimmy wondered.

“Well let’s find out.”

“Why?” Lois asked.

“What do you mean why?”

“Well he could of been on another rescue. Besides she set the fire herself endanger not just herself but others in the building and then jumped from the top of the second tallest building in Metropolis.”

“She expected Superman to save her but he did show.”

“Perry, why would she think that? I mean she’s never met him so why risk her life. Superman has saved me countless times I still wouldn’t jump of the roof to get his attention.”

“Humm, so what your saying is it doesn’t matter that Superman didn’t save her.”

“I’m saying that she made the decision and that cost her, her life. We never asked why Superman didn’t rescue Lex.” She and Perry stared at each other. “I’m sure Superman had a good reason that he wasn’t there and he is not obligated to show for every incident.”

“Well put I look forward to reading it. Come on Jimmy.” Perry and Jimmy leave. Lois looked at Clark his expression was filled with angst.

“Clark what’s wrong?” Lois asked taking his hand.

“What if he didn’t have a good reason?” Clark said

“What do you mean?”

“What if he heard the sirens but decided the rescue services could deal with it.”

“Well we pay our taxes to pay for emergency services not Superman. Anyway why would he ignore it?”

“Well maybe he was doing something and he didn’t want to leave.”

“Well Superman entitled to downtime. What would have been going anyway?”

“Well maybe he was watching a football game.” Clark suggested.

“There wasn’t a game on last night.”

“Well maybe he was at a movie. Or on a date.”

“Who would he be on a date with?” Lois realised that although she did have a pang of jealousy it wasn’t as intense as it once was.

“I don’t know. You?”

“Well he wasn’t on a date with me, because I was on a date with...” She looked at him “You.”

END

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013