Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Destined: Journey (2/4)

Let me know what you think! Time is getting short for Krypton whinging

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I really liked that chapter. I'm impressed with young Kal-El's performance. 225 kg, that's four times my weight. Not bad for a sixteen year old boy. I thought he was growing up under a red sun. confused

Anyway, aside from that, I enjoyed this chapter very much. Can't wait for the next chapter.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
It's obvious that Krypton-normal Kal-El is already physically superior to almost any Earth-normal human, male or female. This is a great way to wrap up that data with his tension at knowing what's going to happen and his stress from keeping that secret and his struggle to learn English from a book (very difficult to learn a new language that way) without spilling the beans, which is another phrase that he doesn't yet know.

The fact that he's pushing himself to excel at everything he does is natural. Drek will think that Kal is trying to show him up, but it isn't true. I can't imagine the heartbreak that Kal will experience when Krypton is destroyed.

Assuming that Jor-El's computations are correct, of course. Maybe you'll pull a fast one on us and leave Krypton there while Kal thinks it's gone and he's alone for 274,990 words. Then Drek will show up and say, "Hey, buddy, your dad was just kidding! We're all okay. In fact, we're all coming to stay with you."

Nah. You wouldn't be that evil.

Would you?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, this Kal is going to be very different from CanonClark, but I smiled when I read that he doesn't really enjoy being bowed to.....

I really wonder how you're going to have him meet Lois and hopefully the Kents! I also wonder how different his departure from Krypton is going to be.... frown (I'm already mentally getting tissues ready.)

Can't wait for more!

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
But English made even less sense. Although they seemed to have a rule for everything, every rule had at least one, if not several, exceptions, none of which followed any notable pattern. And they had multiple words for a single object. For example, a floor covering could be called “carpet” or “rug” or “mat” or “runner.” But “runner” could also be used to describe someone who ran, for fun or to get away from a dangerous or disturbing situation. To make matters even worse, some words could have opposing meanings. He had just finished reading that the verb “to buckle” could mean either to fasten something together or to warp or break under a weight.

Hahaha! You know I love this bit! You found some REALLY great examples here!

And I’ve said it before, but I just love the way you use language to tell a story… you’re very intentional about your word choice to show that it’s really Kryptonian (well, Kandorian) that he’s speaking and thinking in. And then, it’s great that he’s trying to practice his English in his everyday settings—where it’s most relatable—and yet, you manage to also let us know his emotional state through the phrases that he chooses.

Gahhhh… the world building! It’s fantastic how much we’re learning about Kal as a Kryptonian citizen, but we can very much see the aspects of his humanity, if you will, that make him Superman. GAH!

I’m still so very excited that the rest of the world gets to read this story now!!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by bakasi
I really liked that chapter. I'm impressed with young Kal-El's performance. 225 kg, that's four times my weight. Not bad for a sixteen year old boy. I thought he was growing up under a red sun. confused

Anyway, aside from that, I enjoyed this chapter very much. Can't wait for the next chapter.

I'm glad you liked this chapter!!

Kal is definitely growing up under a red sun and does not have powers on Krypton, but he trains hard (every day, and has for years) and is quite strong! He is exceptional, even for a Kryptonian, but does not have any special powers or anything here.

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
It's obvious that Krypton-normal Kal-El is already physically superior to almost any Earth-normal human, male or female. This is a great way to wrap up that data with his tension at knowing what's going to happen and his stress from keeping that secret and his struggle to learn English from a book (very difficult to learn a new language that way) without spilling the beans, which is another phrase that he doesn't yet know.

The fact that he's pushing himself to excel at everything he does is natural. Drek will think that Kal is trying to show him up, but it isn't true. I can't imagine the heartbreak that Kal will experience when Krypton is destroyed.

Assuming that Jor-El's computations are correct, of course. Maybe you'll pull a fast one on us and leave Krypton there while Kal thinks it's gone and he's alone for 274,990 words. Then Drek will show up and say, "Hey, buddy, your dad was just kidding! We're all okay. In fact, we're all coming to stay with you."

Nah. You wouldn't be that evil.

Would you?

Not to spoil anything, but NO I definitely didn't do that here...

We'll learn Krypton's fate very soon now... whinging

Originally Posted by Blueowl
Wow, this Kal is going to be very different from CanonClark, but I smiled when I read that he doesn't really enjoy being bowed to.....

I really wonder how you're going to have him meet Lois and hopefully the Kents! I also wonder how different his departure from Krypton is going to be.... frown (I'm already mentally getting tissues ready.)

Can't wait for more!

You may need those tissues soon... whinging

Kal is very different from canon Clark in many ways! But, as Sara said, it is his innate humanity -- despite how he's grown up on Krypton -- that makes him Superman. grin

Originally Posted by KSaraSara
And I’ve said it before, but I just love the way you use language to tell a story… you’re very intentional about your word choice to show that it’s really Kryptonian (well, Kandorian) that he’s speaking and thinking in. And then, it’s great that he’s trying to practice his English in his everyday settings—where it’s most relatable—and yet, you manage to also let us know his emotional state through the phrases that he chooses.

Gahhhh… the world building! It’s fantastic how much we’re learning about Kal as a Kryptonian citizen, but we can very much see the aspects of his humanity, if you will, that make him Superman. GAH!

I’m still so very excited that the rest of the world gets to read this story now!!

Sara smile

It is difficult to imagine having to learn a language as Kal was made to -- just from a book...especially English! And it was...lots of Googling to try to pick out the best words for Kal to be mentally "complaining" about here. lol It was also quite fun building this world (even if...ACK!).

I'm glad you love it so much! love

Chapter 3 will be up soon!

Thank you all again for reading!

-Bek
hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bek!
Onto part 2 before Bakasi does her magic!

The English language, he decided, had to be the worst language he’d ever tried to learn.
Yeah…nope.

But English made even less sense.
No, it’s the speakers who are to blame. You ask the woman out, she says no. Fine. And then, suddenly, she drops veils left and right and offers untold pleasures. How can you ever understand what she is trying to tell you?

Although they seemed to have a rule for everything, every rule had at least one, if not several, exceptions, none of which followed any notable pattern.
It’s meant to match the human psyche.

And they had multiple words for a single object.
For instance, both ‘Clark’ and ‘Superman’ mean the same object.

CLARK: I’m not an object.
CAT: evil
SUPERMAN: Neither am I.
LOIS: drool

A week had already passed since his father had given him his instructions, and Kal felt like he was no closer to being able to speak or understand English than when he had started learning.
That’s what they get for not socializing him with the professional caregivers. Instead, they let him run around with that Dal boy all the time. No chance to learn nuance.

“My name is Kal-El from Krypton,” he tested out loud. “I am…sixteen…years old, and I would like to pet your cat.”
Now, be very careful to always say ‘cat’ and not one of the other words that describe felines.

He did not know what a “cat” was
[Linked Image]

However, this was the first language he had been made to learn completely on his own, without anyone to help him practice.
They really should have gotten him a female professional caregiver from Earth. They have very companionable girls in Smallville and Metropolis, depending on preference.

Yet, as it rose into the sky over the distant horizon dotted with ice-covered mountains, it looked to him as huge and majestic as ever, bathing the land in a familiar reddish glow.
clap

Again, he flipped through the book on his desk and nodded as he landed on the correct page. “Breakfast,” “lunch,” and “dinner” were the three main meals.
/Waits for this Clark to tell Lois “I’m going for a nooner. Want to come?

and that he has a special challenge for us to complete during our physical tests.
Is it already time for the ritual knife fight to the death?

He absently wondered if he would ever get used to people bowing before him.
That problem will solve itself in 20 days. Then it's up to him whether he re-establishes the practice.

And then, with great unease, he realized he would not have to get used to this, because in only approximately two more weeks,
See?

while those in green were slaves.
shock

He’d never been comfortable with the thought of men owning other men or women.
Nice subtlety there. Only men can own slaves.

and the ruling family in particular, currently the House of Zod, set to switch to the House of El on Kal’s twentieth birthday,
Yeah, that’s gonna go over well. The entire planet’s gonna go kabluee first before that’s gonna happen.

Kal frowned as he took a small bite of the brownish vegetable in his bowl, its slippery texture familiar and yet unappetizing at the same time
I’m not gonna draw parallels between the slaves prepping the food and Kopi Luwak.

He had already been working with his preparatory advisors and a few current Council members on a plan to shift to paid labor in all sectors, including agriculture and textiles.
He’s gonna wreck the planet’s economy!

And, working with his advisors, he had come up with a solid plan to phase out slave labor all together over a ten-year period.
Creating a large group of disenfranchised poor people who have take menial jobs to earn a meager existence.

Say, is he gonna get rid of concubines next?

KAL-EL: Why would you want nubile females tend to your needs when you got male companions to train with?

But on Earth, he had learned, men and women and children could eat together, attend teachings and exercise together, and spend leisure time together.
Depends on where he lands.

Women were also important members of society, including scientists and leaders.
Depends on where he lands. And sometimes they make up stories at the behest of their make superiors.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He blinked, trying to imagine the room half filled with women or girls his own age, and he unconsciously tilted his head a bit as he wondered how that might change things.
He’s so going to have problems when he meets Earthen girls. Never had any contact with women beside his mother.

, and a large, round press lowered down from the ceiling, stopping as it reached Kal’s hands.
Ooooh. Fun! It really is like tensile strength testing of materials.

The whole training montage mixed with English was great fun!

. For a climb to count, you cannot use your legs to assist you.
Now, that’s mean!

I am starting, Kal told himself in English. And then, he heaved himself up off the ground, holding his legs up at horizontal, and commenced his climb.
Hey, no cliffhangers! It’s much too dangerous, leaving the next first lord dangling in a rope!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Hi Bek!
Onto part 2 before Bakasi does her magic!

Ohhhh, this week's MagiKal! Sooooooo good!!!

And they had multiple words for a single object.
For instance, both ‘Clark’ and ‘Superman’ mean the same object.

CLARK: I’m not an object.
CAT: evil
SUPERMAN: Neither am I.
LOIS: drool

rotflol No comment.

He did not know what a “cat” was
[Linked Image]

Good grief! HAHA

Yet, as it rose into the sky over the distant horizon dotted with ice-covered mountains, it looked to him as huge and majestic as ever, bathing the land in a familiar reddish glow.
clap

smile1

He absently wondered if he would ever get used to people bowing before him.
That problem will solve itself in 20 days. Then it's up to him whether he re-establishes the practice.

And then, with great unease, he realized he would not have to get used to this, because in only approximately two more weeks,
See?

Ack, right??

, and a large, round press lowered down from the ceiling, stopping as it reached Kal’s hands.
Ooooh. Fun! It really is like tensile strength testing of materials.

The whole training montage mixed with English was great fun!

Ah, thank you!! Just needs some music to go with it.

. For a climb to count, you cannot use your legs to assist you.
Now, that’s mean!

My daughter and my son can BOTH do this!! I'm sure Kal found it...doable! Hahaha!

Thanks for the fun FDK, as usual! I appreciate you reading along!

-Bek
hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bek!
Ohhhh, this week's MagiKal! Sooooooo good!!!
Yep smile1

Ah, thank you!! Just needs some music to go with it.
laugh

Thanks for the fun FDK, as usual! I appreciate you reading along!
smile1 It’s great fun!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Nice Part 2! Loved all the details about Lord Kal-El's regularly schedules everyday activities. I'd imagine it totally frustrating to go on with this stuff that is essentially pointless now and then have to pretend everything is fine and then have all that additional work to do and all that takes a lot of tribute, indeed. Loved the English learning bits. As someone who doesn't have English as a primary language, I can totally relate to some of the weirdness of the English language. I'd say there ar epros and cons for it, but especially the rules/exceptions stuff just can drive one crazy (especially the writing vs. pronounciations stuff), so poor Kal!
Wow, he's already a super-trianed guy. Like 225 KG, holy shit. That's quite something. One wonders though why as the future ruler he has to do so much physical training when he's essentially planned to take over a political position. It's not like he has to fight for his life every day then...right? (although, with house Zod as precedesors who will probally not happy to leave the throne, you may never know...not tha tanything of it still matters with the enidng coming closer...)
Loved the little introspectives glimpses on Kryptonian society, how it is now, and what plans Kal had to change it. He's clearly not your typical Kryptonian still, despite growing up as one.
Hrm, I get the feel his interactions with women of all kind (especially a certain reporter) will be...interesting, given what we learn here. And one can't even really blame him if he messes it up because of that...
I'll definitely continue on that one.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by BlindPassenger
Nice Part 2! Loved all the details about Lord Kal-El's regularly schedules everyday activities. I'd imagine it totally frustrating to go on with this stuff that is essentially pointless now and then have to pretend everything is fine and then have all that additional work to do and all that takes a lot of tribute, indeed.

Yes! Frustrating and difficult, knowing what is coming, but having to keep pretending like everything is normal... whinging

Loved the English learning bits. As someone who doesn't have English as a primary language, I can totally relate to some of the weirdness of the English language. I'd say there ar epros and cons for it, but especially the rules/exceptions stuff just can drive one crazy (especially the writing vs. pronounciations stuff), so poor Kal!

This was a fun bit to write (I love playing with language like this!).

Wow, he's already a super-trianed guy. Like 225 KG, holy shit. That's quite something. One wonders though why as the future ruler he has to do so much physical training when he's essentially planned to take over a political position. It's not like he has to fight for his life every day then...right? (although, with house Zod as precedesors who will probally not happy to leave the throne, you may never know...not tha tanything of it still matters with the enidng coming closer...)

He IS strong! And yes, although his would have been a political position, and there was not any war effort for him to prepare for, Kal's education and training were top priority for him -- and of course he excelled at it all!

Loved the little introspectives glimpses on Kryptonian society, how it is now, and what plans Kal had to change it. He's clearly not your typical Kryptonian still, despite growing up as one.
Hrm, I get the feel his interactions with women of all kind (especially a certain reporter) will be...interesting, given what we learn here. And one can't even really blame him if he messes it up because of that...
I'll definitely continue on that one.

Yes! I'm glad you enjoyed that part! He certainly is not a typical Kryptonian, and it showed in the issues he was planning to approach when he was to become Ruler.

Thanks for reading! I see you've left comments for Ch3 and Ch4... I'll try to get to those soon too!! I appreciate all of these wonderful comments!! Thank you so much!!!

-Bek
hyper

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard