Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#296101 05/11/23 08:55 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Destined: Journey (1/4)

Here we go! This is a short chapter (in the next two story parts the chapters get QUITE LONG eek), starting us out on a long journey that I hope you all will join me on!

Let me know what you think!

-Bek
hyper

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
YAY!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

And…I may come back and squee more later, but… gosh… the world building here is just phenomenal!! notworthy

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Neat intro! I love the idea of a Kal/Clark on Earth who remembers Krypton and its people. I've often wondered what that would be like grin

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I'm intrigued and curious where you will be taking this. Can't wait to find out how this all unfolds.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Columnist
Columnist
This story is fantastic and this beginning had me HOOKED from the very start. YAY!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by KSaraSara
YAY!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

And…I may come back and squee more later, but… gosh… the world building here is just phenomenal!! notworthy

Sara smile

Thank you!! (EEEEEEEE[P]!!!)

smile1

Originally Posted by Ailujecarg
Neat intro! I love the idea of a Kal/Clark on Earth who remembers Krypton and its people. I've often wondered what that would be like grin

Thanks! I too have wondered what it would be like for Kal to come to Earth later, and there's been a few fics that have explored this, although I don't remember reading one with Kal being this age. In any case, I hope you enjoy the rest!

Originally Posted by bakasi
I'm intrigued and curious where you will be taking this. Can't wait to find out how this all unfolds.

It's gonna be a bit of a long ride! And there may or may not be a few twists along the way. wink

Originally Posted by lovetvfan
This story is fantastic and this beginning had me HOOKED from the very start. YAY!

Thank you!! Here we go! (YAY and YIKES!)

Chapter 2 is being posted soon!

-Bek
hyper

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
If you already have in excess of 275,000 words written (wow!), you will have more than just a few twists. It's gonna be a pretzel of a long ride.

This is a good beginning and I'm ready to dive into the next chapter.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
If you already have in excess of 275,000 words written (wow!), you will have more than just a few twists. It's gonna be a pretzel of a long ride.

This is a good beginning and I'm ready to dive into the next chapter.

clap

It is a long ride! But I hope the twists are...well received grin wink

Thanks for reading!

-Bek

Features Writer
Features Writer
Ooooo, I can tell this is going to get really intense...
Can't wait to really get into this universe laugh

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Ooooo, I can tell this is going to get really intense...
Can't wait to really get into this universe laugh

It will get a bit intense very soon... eek

And obviously this AU does end up being quite different from canon...so I'm really very curious to see what everyone thinks when we get into it a bit more (and especially in the next two parts, Friends and Legacy).

Thanks for reading so far!

-Bek
hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bek!

Summary
I’ll try to forget what I may have heard about this before smile1

Until recently, young 16-year-old Kal-El’s entire life has been about training and preparing to be Supreme Ruler of Krypton.
Did he discover a concubine on his trip to Earth with the family?

But when he learns his planet is doomed
Oh no!
LOIS: What’s his problem? My home imploded when I was 15 and I, too, turned out all right. Always with the teenage angst. Parents get divorced. Get over it. Just because your daddy king diddled the serving girl doesn’t mean your world’s gonna end.

/evil reader points at translation mistake/

LOIS: Oh. Wow. So, you mean your literal planet is literally going to blow up? Can I get that as an interview for my high school newspaper?

he faces a new journey—not just to be Krypton’s sole survivor on a distant planet called Earth, but also to find a way to create a life and a legacy his parents would be proud of.
LOIS: /looks at photo of young prince/ Okay, fine, I’ll go on a date with him. But if he grabs my story, I’m outa there!

I wanted to tell a sort of love story that I’ve never seen before in an L&C fic but that I’ve really wanted to read
So. It’s not gonna be teenage alien knocking up teenage girl? Because we have a bunch of those and they’re always fun!

… So, 275,000 words later, and here we are…
Eeeeeeep!

I’ll be posting maybe every other day.
I may be lagging behind. No more than two parts per week. One if there’s other stuff also going on. Like I need to read the NSFW one shots, too.

Very inspired banner, Sara! The alien font. The colored hair. The little exhaust explosion. The confused and vacant look on the princeling’s face. At least that’s what it looks like on the smartphone screen!

He’d had to finish the task his father had given him first—the gathering of books from the library.
Next his father is going to have teach the young prince how to read.
Kal-El: I already know. /Claps hands/ Have my book reader come! /pauses/ See?

The boy’s own flowing robes, which he was required to wear over his skintight leisurewear when passing through the hallways of the palace,
So he prevents undue attention by the serving girls…

, his title would be exalted to Lord Kal of the House of El, and he would take his place as Supreme Ruler of Krypton.
Oh, how does Kryptonian succession work?

Planets of the Fifth Realm, Hyperspace Travel, and Lost Languages: English of Earth
Oops! Also, great scenery clap

They were dusty and old and looked as though no one had pulled them from the shelves, well, ever maybe.
Just how old is “English of Earth”? Is he going to speak Elizabethan English? Will he sound like Bernard from Much Ado About Nothing? And will he learn to bicker with Lois? Treat her like Petrucio in The Taming of the Shrew?
LOIS: Hey!

The Lost Languages book was difficult to find.”
He thought it was lost?

Kal now saw, a flight path with a trajectory to the Fifth Realm.
Is it time for the rumspringen? A chance to sow his wild oats with the population of a minor world where there are no dynastic consequences to be feared?

This imbalance has led to the generation of excess heat, and that heat will result in a detonation large enough to break the entire planet apart.”
So, a simple mining accident will do them in.

They are a more primitive people than us, but they are like us too in many ways. You will fit in there, Kal, and you can grow and reach adulthood and build a new life there.
Boy, will it be a culture shock when he learns that absolute monarchy was abolished in most places.

Your mother and I have decided this, Kal. You shall not argue with us.”
Now, go to your new room and speak no more of this!

The decision had already been made for him by his mother and father. He would abandon them, all of them—his entire race of Kryptonians.
That’s a great flip side twist.

He would do as his father told him.

After all, he really had no choice.
Poor guy!

That was a very well written setup. Wonderful world building clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Summary

goofy peep

Very inspired banner, Sara! The alien font. The colored hair. The little exhaust explosion. The confused and vacant look on the princeling’s face. At least that’s what it looks like on the smartphone screen!

Wheee! Thanks!! I can’t even remember whose idea the font was… oh wait! This is how it went:

Bek: *sighs wistfully* Gosh, would be cool if the title was in Kryptonian.
Sara: … *remembers using this site while writing SFA and having AnnaBtG painstakingly transliterate all the Kryptonian phrases*
Sara: …um…hey, Anna… wanna do a thing for me (and Bek?) *pleads*
Anna: *does the thing*
Sara: *screenshots Kryptonian glyphs and manipulates them in art program*
Sara: Hey, Bek… guess what? *shows Bek*
Bek: jawdrop

I wouldn’t say young Kal has a vacant look, per se… more… worried yet stoic because Kryptonians don’t emote so much. lol

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

Sara smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi Bek!

Summary

peep
Thank you lol

She did such an amazing job!!! I feel so grateful, and I can't wait to share more!!! hyper

, his title would be exalted to Lord Kal of the House of El, and he would take his place as Supreme Ruler of Krypton.
Oh, how does Kryptonian succession work?

You'll have to read on to find out! It's explained pretty clearly in one of the earlier chapters in the second part of the story, Destined: Friends grin

They were dusty and old and looked as though no one had pulled them from the shelves, well, ever maybe.
Just how old is “English of Earth”? Is he going to speak Elizabethan English? Will he sound like Bernard from Much Ado About Nothing? And will he learn to bicker with Lois? Treat her like Petrucio in The Taming of the Shrew?
LOIS: Hey!

The Lost Languages book was difficult to find.”
He thought it was lost?

rotflol

This imbalance has led to the generation of excess heat, and that heat will result in a detonation large enough to break the entire planet apart.”
So, a simple mining accident will do them in.

whinging Essentially, I suppose.

Your mother and I have decided this, Kal. You shall not argue with us.”
Now, go to your new room and speak no more of this!

Poor Kal!

He would do as his father told him.

After all, he really had no choice.
Poor guy!

That was a very well written setup. Wonderful world building clap

wave Michael

Thank you for reading!!

I hope you get to catch up with the other chapters. It's hard to wait to post when the story is all written lol

Originally Posted by KSaraSara
Wheee! Thanks!! I can’t even remember whose idea the font was… oh wait! This is how it went:

Bek: *sighs wistfully* Gosh, would be cool if the title was in Kryptonian.
Sara: … *remembers using this site while writing SFA and having AnnaBtG painstakingly transliterate all the Kryptonian phrases*
Sara: …um…hey, Anna… wanna do a thing for me (and Bek?) *pleads*
Anna: *does the thing*
Sara: *screenshots Kryptonian glyphs and manipulates them in art program*
Sara: Hey, Bek… guess what? *shows Bek*
Bek: jawdrop

I wouldn’t say young Kal has a vacant look, per se… more… worried yet stoic because Kryptonians don’t emote so much. lol

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

Sara smile

That was about how it went. I'm still in awe and I so love that we have the Kryptonian text there!!!! clap

Big thanks to Anna for her help with that!!

-Bek
hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Bek!

You'll have to read on to find out! It's explained pretty clearly in one of the earlier chapters in the second part of the story, Destined: Friends
The second chapter of Journey also does a good job already smile1

I hope you get to catch up with the other chapters. It's hard to wait to post when the story is all written
laugh So far, I plan on keeping reading. I do know that I’ll never catch up with live posting, though. The double-length posts for part 2 will be a part a week for sure. /eyes vacations warily/ I really hope this story will just be pleasant entertainment and not nail-biting addictive. Sara already unpacked the multi-pitchfork graemlins and those are scary! If bad things happen, I’ll just blame Bek if Sara doesn’t get stuff for the archive queue laugh

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I hope you get to catch up with the other chapters. It's hard to wait to post when the story is all written
laugh So far, I plan on keeping reading. I do know that I’ll never catch up with live posting, though. The double-length posts for part 2 will be a part a week for sure. /eyes vacations warily/ I really hope this story will just be pleasant entertainment and not nail-biting addictive. Sara already unpacked the multi-pitchfork graemlins and those are scary! If bad things happen, I’ll just blame Bek if Sara doesn’t get stuff for the archive queue laugh

Um… shoot… um… there’s a good chance that it’s very addictive… not necessarily nail-biting… but… GAHHH! I want the rest of the PML story! So… I guess… I’ll call the wild guys off if it’s too addictive. mecry

Sara smile

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Wow, that's for sure an interesting premise! I love stories that explore a Clark/Kal who grew up in Kryptonian society for a while. Like, nothing against Canon!Clark, he's great as he is, but it's just such a fun concept with so much possibilities to explore there. I think that's the first fic I see though where he is that young (not counting the baby obviously).
I already se some differences in his personality from canon!Clark, like the way how he's just so used to people bowing before him and just accepts it even if it annoys him, how he knows science stuff and all that and is training sports, and hiow he's just so willing to fold to everything his father tells him to do. Honestly, Jor-El come sover as a bit of an ass here, th eway how he's just like "Well, the council dismissed me, so they can all die, I'll just save my own son regardless whether he want sit or not, and he has to do nonsense lessions to not be suspicous and lie to everyone". Not abig fan of that guy. Poor Kal, especially with him having the "future leader" respnsibility probally hammered into his head his whole life and then having to let all of them alone. Wonder if he will really keep to that, maybe he shouldn't. I mean I get why they don't want a mass panic but maybe somepresure from the population would move something with the council IDK. And what makes Kal more "worthy" of survival than anyone else? It's a whole new perspective on all of that that's usually not present with BAby Kal escaping.
I wonder why Krypton has a book about English in the first place, and hten it's "ancient" English... He would have quite some difficulties if he wants to communicate with that with the modern world...
So Ka's going to Earth. I wonder how much he will be a differen tperson from the Clark we know there, we'll have a lot of nature vs. nurture exploration there I guess. And having a Superman with an actual alien upbringing who is not "one of them" definitely could throw some curveballs...
Anyway, looking forward to continue this.
PS: Is there a reason that this is also called Destined, like the two mini-tales about a kid!Clark? Because that obviously can't be part of the same universe with the background so I'm a little confused there...

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by BlindPassenger
Wow, that's for sure an interesting premise!

PS: Is there a reason that this is also called Destined, like the two mini-tales about a kid!Clark? Because that obviously can't be part of the same universe with the background so I'm a little confused there...

I don't want to spoil anything if you're up for a good twist, but...there is a big twist at the end of this part (Journey), leading into the second part of the story (Friends). It...ends up being quite the AU, kinda unlike anything I think that's ever been posted here before. And I can't answer your questions without spoiling that big twist (with this story in particular, it's been difficult for me to figure out exactly what to say in terms of "spoiler" versus... um, "disclosure"?). So, uh, I would like to point you toward the Summary and Author's Note for Destined: Friends to answer these questions! smile1

I think that's the first fic I see though where he is that young (not counting the baby obviously).

I think I've read...one or two where he's an adult, but maybe not any where he's a teen, and none with this exact premise -- or the above-mentioned "twist" for sure. wink

Wonder if he will really keep to that, maybe he shouldn't. I mean I get why they don't want a mass panic but maybe somepresure from the population would move something with the council IDK. And what makes Kal more "worthy" of survival than anyone else? It's a whole new perspective on all of that that's usually not present with BAby Kal escaping.

Excellent questions and points! I think a bit is explored later in Journey, and a LOT of Kal's feelings about it all are explored greater in the second and third parts of the story, Friends and Legacy.

Thank you so much for reading and for all the wonderful questions and thoughts!!! And if you do check out the Summary/Author's Note for Friends and have any more questions, you can PM or email me to avoid spoilers on this post!

-Bek
hyper

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard