Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

So, what do you think to the start of the new New Adventures of Lois & Clark? wink

Incidentally, even before this challenge had been issued, I had been planning to write a retirement-related story to accompany my announcement of my own retirement (effective at the start of this year). hyper smile1 I was originally planning to try a story about Clark's emotions as he hung up his cape for the final time, but the words in this challenge made me think of this story instead.

This story is in response to the Kerth 2020 Weekly Challenge #1.

Joy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 01/06/20 12:19 AM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aww, great little ficlet! Very sweet! I don't see Lois sitting back and spending the rest of her days knitting though. Something tells me she'll be freelancing/blogging/vlogging/whatever now that she'll have all that "free time" on her hands. rotflol
Happy Retirement to you!

Last edited by Deadly Chakram; 01/06/20 12:36 AM.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Lynn wave

Congratulations on retirement and this little ficlet is a perfect way to start it out. I love the way you used the words in this challenge and you can feel the emotions behind Lois' words as she passes on the advice to her former colleagues.

clap Great job!

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
nice one for the challenge

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois Lane-Kent retired? Yeah, right!

Awesome way to announce her retirement and yours. Congratulations Lynn! party Well done!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
My thanks to the four of you who have taken the time to leave feedback and to extend good wishes.

I think Lois's idea of "retirement" is being able to chase down the stories of her choosing with no deadlines other than those she imposes upon herself. Well, that plus helping with the grandkids. After all, as I can attest first-hand, when you have children with special needs, it is hard to find qualified people to help, and the more numerous and the more major the special needs, the fewer qualified people exist. I would say that any child having Kryptonian blood has about as specialized a "special need" as there can be, and the only people to whom their parents could entrust them with complete confidence would be those who know The Secret. And that would mean that Lois and Clark would probably be doing a lot more sitting than they might have done had Clark been human.

Of course, I could see Lois investigating while rocking the younger kids to sleep and taking them on games of "Let's learn things!" as they got older. (I can only imagine how challenging those kids would be to teach in a public school as they got older. The best teachers would embrace the challenge with delight; the not-so-good ones would dread it.)

Joy,
Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
First, best wishes on your retirement. Congratulations! dance

What a delightful fic. I imagine Lois will be as busy or more so in retirement than she was when employed. I love how she learned her priorities and unselfishly passed her wisdom onto the younger reporters. Hopefully they took her words to heart.

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
So, what do you think to the start of the new New Adventures of Lois & Clark? wink

Would LOVE to see them! grovel

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful! And Happy Retirement! smile

~•~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Queenie,

Thank you on both counts. smile

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Cuidadora,

I imagine Lois will be as busy or more so in retirement than she was when employed.
I'm sure you're right. I have had more than one retired person tell me that they wonder how they ever fit in the time to work. If less-driven people say that, I can only imagine what it would be like for a Lois Lane.

If my muse cooperates on post-retirement stories, I will gladly write them up. Or if anyone else wants to "play" with this version of our favourite characters, they have my blessings. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!

I found another one smile1
Lois stepped into the bullpen to shouts of, “Congratulations, Lois,” and “Happy retirement, Mrs. Lane-Kent!”
Retirement? jawdrop

But as he might have said, ‘A newshound can’t help but lunge after a story like a dog after a bone.’”
Given the recent rewatch: clap

Jasmine – one of the younger reporters -- interjected, “But now maybe the rest of us will have a chance at a Kerth.”
Yes, but it’s so much cheaper to produce them with the winner pre-engraved evil

It’s nothing compared to the joy of a good marriage, or of seeing your children grow up and have kids of their own. If someone had told me that a couple of decades ago, I would have rolled my eyes and said that they were cornier than Kansas, but as corny as it may sound, it’s also the truth.”
Awwww

Simple and beautifully told smile1

wave Michael

PS: Reading the comments: wait, is Lois actually going undercover at a retirement home to discover a donation and last-will scam on an industrial scale?

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Pardon my delayed response. I've been busy sandwich-generationing (to coin a term). I've a (very) little time free right now, and I wanted to use some of it to give you a long-overdue response.

Given the recent rewatch: clap
Glad the timing proved serendipitous. And speaking of timing, my own leave much to be desired. Just when I am too busy to spend time on the boards, not only are the rewatches happening, but also weekly ultra-short fanfic is being posted. (I hope to participate in it eventually, but it will be several months more at minimum before things settle down for me.)

Yes, but it’s so much cheaper to produce them with the winner pre-engraved
And purchased in bulk.

Simple and beautifully told smile1
Thank you.

PS: Reading the comments: wait, is Lois actually going undercover at a retirement home to discover a donation and last-will scam on an industrial scale?
I'll never tell. wink (Shhh... It's supposed to be secret.)

Thanks for another delightful bit of feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 03/07/23 11:01 AM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!

no worries, just glad to see you around smile

And since you're extra busy, I'll just re-ping it here in case you missed it: Thom Zahler started publishing his Love Capes Christmas story with weekly updates online (it's also available in print): https://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/294226/love-and-capes-web-cartoon#Post294226

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the understanding and the heads-up. I had actually gotten the Christmas e-book as a Kickstarter premium and I devoured it; it was every bit as good as his previous Love & Cape forays. My only complaint was that I wanted more. (Not a bad complaint to have.)

Even though I already knew about the Zahler book, I really appreciate your taking the time to share that info with me. That was so thoughtful. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 03/07/23 06:45 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!

you're very welcome! Got mine too via the Kickstarter smile1 And the great thing is, you can set up Kickstarter notifications so we can get new Love and Capes notifications in our inbox hyper

wave Michael

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard