Three Rules
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 16

Disaster. That was the only way to describe the events that had transpired over the last few days. Gretchen Kelly turned the lock to the door, watching as the lights lit up to indicate the system was armed. After all her hard work it was a shame that LexCorp would be the Achilles heel in her plans. Lex had a weakness that had put not only his own company at risk but everything they had worked toward.

Developing the cutting-edge cures and vaccines for some of the most debilitating diseases and cultivating the knowledge that they had obtained from the Prometheus venture and from that which had been obtained by Nanosoft. All of this had been a mission to achieve greatness for both herself and LexCorp. Developing cures for cancer was too great a mission to be bothered by proper protocols. So many doors stood in her way but Lex had opened them.

Now, all of her work was at risk.

She looked over her shoulder to be sure she hadn’t been noticed, stepping up the long steps leading out into the Perpetual Pines Cemetery. The hidden lab she had cultivated with Lex remained safe so long as the samples remained at their required temperatures. Power was key.

Lois gingerly fingered the remnants of the Superman insignia that she had found in the middle of the crater in Hobb’s Bay. Every fiber of her being was crying out, demanding she tear the strip of warehouses up piece by piece to find Clark but as much as she wanted to scour the pier for answers she knew it was fruitless without any direction.

She needed answers and somewhere to begin her investigation, but as of now the only witnesses she had were street bums and the old cathedral on the corner that seemed to be more of a halfway house than a lead. Still, she had to start somewhere.

Beverly Cox sipped on her glass of champagne, toying with the stem between her fingers. Tapping at the rim with her finger tips. She looked to her left where Asabi was seated in the private jet, looking out the passenger window.

With Lex on the run, it was only a matter of time before the authorities came looking for anyone, they could to put pressure on to draw him out. She had been on the receiving end of their attempts once and would not put a target on herself again.

“What do you mean the footage is gone?”

Bill Henderson ran a ragged hand against his face, realizing the impending dark cloud that hung over him was growing with each passing moment.

Lex Luthor was gone.

Beverly Cox had disappeared.

Sheldon Bender was missing.

All of Lex Luthor’s inner circle appeared to have up and vanished into thin air.

The evidence they had gathered either disappeared or had been destroyed. The conspiracy to absolve Lex Luthor of his crimes appeared to run deep within the department. He had him. He had everything he needed and then just as quickly it had been yanked from him at the last second.

“It’s gone, Bill.” The ADA responded with a grim shake of his head. “Look, I have nothing I can go on. Your evidence and witnesses are gone. I can’t do anything with no case.”

“This is a terrible idea,” Jack mumbled under his breath, following his brother toward the winding dirt road that led to the four-way-stop at the end of the pier. He looked behind him to make sure Denny was close by, eying the boarded-up businesses that were a remnant of their former selves from before the end of the world chaos.

“I’m telling you, that guy is in trouble.” Denny insisted in a harsh whisper. “Come on, Jack, we’ve got to do the right thing.”

Jack held back, watching as the dark-haired man walked with what appeared to be a wounded man toward the Perpetual Pines Cemetery. He watched from the safe distance he was at as the dark haired man moved with a purpose, almost dragging the other man with him.

Denny was right.

Something wasn’t right.

Red and blue lights lit up the pier as police poured over the scene. Perry stood amongst the crowd of Metropolis’ finest and agents from EPRAD that had shown up when he and Jimmy had called in the site of Superman’s landing.

All the questions came from every direction, but still no answers.

He glanced toward the small cathedral where Lois was standing with one of the agents. Hopefully something came out of this that would lead them to some answers.

Gone.

Lois gripped the notebook in her hand as she walked with Sister Mary Ann outside the Mission Street cathedral that was running a soup kitchen just outside of Hobb’s Bay. Every fiber of her wanted to scream in frustration over finding Clark’s burnt and torn emblem inside the crater with no sign of him anywhere.

He had vanished and she was desperate for answers.

“We heard the noise and saw the blast just before dinner was served but never saw anything,” Sister Mary Ann explained as they walked out toward the pier which was now lit up with police cars and blinking red and blue lights.

“Anyone show up out of the ordinary?” Lois inquired, hoping to find some answers on where to begin searching for Clark.

“We have quite a few regulars but had a few new visitors tonight.”

“Anyone in particular stand out?” Lois inquired.

“Normally, everyone stays for prayer and the cocoa but there were a few that didn’t stay past dinner.”

“Any idea where they disappeared to?”

Mary Ann’s face scrunched up, pointing toward the four way stop that led away from the pier and toward the cemetery on the outskirts of Hobb’s Bay. “Neither of them seemed to really fit the normal crowd. They came in for a few minutes and then disappeared.”

“How many of them were there?”

“Two. A really tall guy that seemed out of it and another that looked like he was hiding from something.”

“Okay, thank you for your time,” Lois thanked her before heading out. Hopefully this was what she would need to find Clark.

Gretchen Kelly let a slow smile cross her face when she spotted the familiar figure walk toward her just on the outskirts of the cemetery. Even in his ragged appearance Lex had a distinguished veneer hidden beneath the ragged clothes he hid behind.

“Lex,” Gretchen called out to him, pointing at the man behind him. “Who’s your friend?”

“A new piece to the puzzle, Darling,” Lex pointed to the man. “I believe this is where we will finally find some use for you.”

The man looked blankly at Lex, confused as he looked around his unfamiliar surroundings. “Use?”

Lex nodded, pointing to the sky above. “It seems I have a need to get out of town and you’re my ticket to freedom.” He tugged the trench coat back, revealing the ripped superman suit on the man.

“Superman,” Gretchen gasped in surprise, looking at Lex for answers as she immediately asked. “Is this how you were planning to get out of the country? Lex!”

“Why does everyone keep calling me that?”

“Wait, what?” Gretchen asked, putting the pieces together. “He doesn’t know….”

“Enough with the games.” Lex pointed upward, “time to fly, Superman.”

“I’m not Superman.”

“Lex, you may want to try a different tactic.” Gretchen soothed.

“No need to be nervous. I’m sure we can cut a deal for you. A generous portion of profits in exchange for the use of your gifts. We are friends, after all, right?” Lex prodded him with a sneer. “Up we go.”

“I…I can’t fly.”

“Perhaps you need some incentive…” Lex pulled out a gun from his back pocket, pointing it at Superman.

A flash of fear crossed Superman’s face, but he still seemed unable to muster the ability to do what had once come naturally to him. “I’m sorry. I can’t.”

“Lex, what do you expect this to do?” Gretchen asked just as the gun went off and she let out a yelp in surprise.

Jack slammed Denny to the ground, pressing him against the pavement when he heard the gunshot. Even from several feet away the loud boom echoed in his ears as Jack gingerly reached his hand out, holding a protective hand over his shoulder as he tentatively reached up to pry himself from the ground.

‘This is a bad idea.’

“What was that?” Denny asked in a shaky whisper.

“Trouble.” Jack whispered, pointing to the phone booth on the corner and handing Denny a few quarters. “I think it’s safe to say we need to call for backup.”

Denny nodded, shaking his head in agreement. He stumbled toward the payphone and Jack slowly walked toward the two figures in the cemetery, trying to get a good visual of what was going on.

As he reached behind one of the larger tombstones he found it was already occupied by a woman with dark hair, motioning for him to get down.

A forceful jerk of his arm left him no choice but to squat behind the tombstone with her and before he could ask for a name or what she was doing he received his answer.

“If you know what’s good for you you’ll stay here. There’s some very dangerous people over there with Superman and no offense but I don’t think you or your friend over there want to get mixed up in this.”

“And you do?” Jack asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s my job.”

The radio chirped with a red light and General Zeitlin pressed the volume button to lower the audio so he could focus on surveying the scene. This was the first sign of Superman’s arrival they had found in the last twenty-four hours. Though the threat of the Nightfall asteroid was gone the answers the public was currently demanding regarding Superman remained a mystery. Superman was the hero of the people and had put it all on the line to save the world from imminent destruction; however, after impact there had been no sign of him.

He turned to the pedestrians that had found the proof of Superman’s landing. Unfortunately, they were after as many answers as he was.

Lois hovered just outside the cemetery watching in horror as she inched closer to where Lex Luthor stood next to a woman in black. With him was Clark who appeared to be out of his element confused as Lex continued to ramble about using him to get him out of the country.

Why he was so set on leaving with Clark she wasn’t sure but it couldn’t be good. She turned to the young man squatted down next to her, wondering briefly what could happen if he overheard something he shouldn’t.

“Are we really going to continue this charade, Superman?” Lex stared back at Clark with a prompting look.

“I can’t fly.” Clark repeated.

“You can and you will.”

“Even if what you’re saying is true…I don’t know how.”

“Then I have no further use for you…”

Lois let out a yelp when she heard Clark cry out, falling to the ground. Sirens began to sound off in the distance and she stared back at the scene of Clark slumped over, wondering what her next move was. Move in and risk giving her presence away or stand back and risk Clark being hurt further than he obviously was.

There was only one thing she knew of that could hurt Clark.

If Lex had gotten his hands on it…

Before she could finish that thought the young man beside her bolted from behind the headstone and charged forward.

Lex and the woman with him quickly disappeared into the patch of trees behind the cemetery and she quickly followed, taking a deep breath as she steadied herself for what she would find.

“Ca- Superman!” Lois knelt down next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He blinked, wincing behind the pain as her fingertips touched the blood on his shoulder where he had been shot. She looked around, noting that there appeared to be no sign of the bullet or of poisonous meteorite.

“You’re okay,” she whispered, taking his hand in hers.

“Sounds like the police are on their way,” the man behind her spoke up, pointing to Clark. “Is he okay?”

“Startled I think.” Lois explained with a quick smile, holding back the fear she felt rushing through her.

He was bleeding.

Superman – Clark was bleeding.

The sound felt familiar as the metal hit the ground and he felt the world around him shift, a wave of emotion rushed through him.

He could feel everything all at once.

The fear of the impossible rescue.

The passion and protectiveness he felt for those he loved.

Lois.

His parents.

Jimmy.

Perry.

<<“Help! Somebody! There’s a bomb! Please! Oh, thank God! We’ve got to get the bomb squad down here and...”

“If you’ll excuse me, Ms. Lane,”

“How did you know my name?”>>

<<“I don’t believe you’re supposed to be back here, Ms. Lane.”

“Well, I won’t tell if you won’t, Smallville.”>>

<<“Such a typical male response.”

“Lois, trust me on this. I am not your typical male.”>>

<<“I said nine. I thought you’d be …naked…um, ready.”>>

<<“Lois, come on, there’s no reason for Mr. White to reassign you.”

“Well, I have no lead on the E.P.R.A.D. story…”

“You had a story.”

“No, I didn’t.”

“You killed your story.”

“I did what I had to do.” >>

The memories collided onto one another as Clark felt the strength course through him. The injury he sustained moments ago seemed to heal itself as he stared at the familiar face before him. Relief washed over him as he realized his rescue had been a success.

Nightfall had been destroyed.

Metropolis was safe.

Earth was safe.

Lois was safe.

<<“Isn’t this the part where red, blue, and yellow rushes in to save the day?”

“Red, blue, and yellow?”>>

<<“Do you always rush onto the scene where bombs are set to go off?”

“If that’s the story.”>>

<<“We?”

“If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s a bully. And stopping a bully and exposing them to the world is what I do best. Come on, I’ve got to get this checked out, and we’ve got to find whoever’s behind this.”

“There you go using that word again,”>>

<<“Still think putting your life at risk for a headline is worth it?”

“Rule number one, always get there first.”>>

<<“Us?”

“Well, it was a team assignment, I wouldn’t want to be accused of being unfair.”

“No one could accuse you of being unfair, Lois.”>>

<<“I guess I owe you that exclusive.”

“As long as you’re not planning on running with your tail between your legs back to Nebraska…”

“Kansas.”

“Midwest Nowheresville without a syndicated paper…”

“They have newspapers…”>>

His jaw tightened and he felt the relief wash through him.

The world was whole.

But Lex Luthor had gotten away.

His mind quickly turned to panic as everything came back to him.

What was it he had said?

He wanted to leave the country.

He needed to leave the country.

Why?

<<“You can say it.”

“Say what?”

“Repeat after me, ‘You’re right, Lois.’Come on. You know you want to.”>>

<<“I think ….we need…to slow down.”

“Why would we want to do that, Clarkie?”>>

<<"Lois, you’re not yourself. Something has changed, and…”

“I don’t need to be myself… I love you.”>>

<<“You are Superman,”

“Not anymore,”

“Superman is more than just a suit, Clark.”>>

<<“The world is ending and I can’t even find the words to write the story. How ironic is that.”

“We don’t know that.”

“Yes, we do...I love you.”>>

“Superman?”

Clark bit his lower-lip, standing up and gazing around him at the officers and agents that had poured out toward him. He scanned the woods behind him but his vision still wasn’t quite up to par.

Luthor was running.

He would be caught eventually.

“You okay?” Lois asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Great,” he forced a smile, glancing at the young man behind her with a questioning gaze.

He held his hand out, “Jack.” He introduced himself. “My brother was worried about you. Afraid you were in trouble.”

“Thank you.” Clark nodded. “I was, but not anymore.”

“Superman,” General Zeitlin called out to him, climbing up the hill to where he and Lois stood. “You are one hard man to track down.”

“I apologize, General.” Clark shrugged sheepishly. “I wasn’t exactly myself when I landed.”

“Well, I’m glad to see you made it home safe.” General Zeitlin remarked, extending his hand to shake Clark’s.

“Glad to be here.” Clark said, shaking his hand.

“We’ll need to debrief and go over everything at EPRAD,” General Zeitlin remarked, offering a reassuring smile. “When you’re up for it of course.”

“I’ll come by in the morning, General.” Clark responded. “There are some things I need to catch up on.”

“Of course.”

The private helicopter landed on the roof of Luthor Airlines and Lex Luthor stepped out with Gretchen Kelly on his arm. He lit his cigar, taking in the fresh air. “We’ll need to regroup until things have settled down in Metropolis. I suggest a trip out to London for the time being…”

“I do enjoy Europe this time of year,” Gretchen Kelly grinned, leaning into him as they walked toward the awaiting plane.

The doors opened and Nigel St John stood at the entrance, gesturing for Lex to board, “I see you were able to gather your wits, sir.”

“Yes, Nigel, I always land on my feet.”

“Of course, sir,” Nigel responded with a broad smile. “Ready for take-off.”

“The future waits for no one.”

Three Weeks Later…

The city lights shone across the water below, Lois looked down, taking in the breathtaking view from Clark’s arms. She took in a sharp breath as they came in to land behind her apartment building. She kept a lookout while Clark quickly changed into his street clothes, returning to his suit and tie from earlier in the evening.

A shy grin crossed her face as she met his gaze, taking his hand in hers as they walked up the steps to her apartment building. It had been a long three weeks since Clark had rescued the world from Nightfall. Not only had the asteroid been destroyed but with it the case the police had been working on to put Lex Luthor away had fallen apart.

In the last few weeks she and Clark had been consumed with covering the political bloodbath that the DA and Police Chief had taken while Lex Luthor remained out of the limelight. No one knew where he had disappeared to, but his businesses continued to run smoothly. Clark was convinced there was more to the story but as of right now it was a mystery of where Lex had disappeared to and what to expect from him.

They reached the top of the stairs where Lois’ apartment was and she turned to Clark with a shy smile, “Thanks for dinner. I had a good time.”

“Was there really any doubt?” Clark teased with a half-smile, reaching out to cup her cheek.

“Well, not everyone goes to a baseball game on the other side of the country because you want to try some hot dogs at Fenway Park field.”

“It was a great game.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Hey, anybody can take you to dinner. But not everyone can take you to a game with a view from the that high up and the best hot dogs in town.” Clark grinned proudly.

“If I didn’t know any better I’d say you were trying to show off.”

“What if I am?” Clark asked, leaning in so his breath tickled the nape of her neck.

A smile spread across her lips as she felt a tingle down her spine. She tilted her head, looking up at him and brushed her lips against his, craning her neck to meet his lips with hers.

Lex Luthor set the paper down as he turned to Nigel, reaching his hand out to lift the coffee mug to take a sip. “Before we were rudely interrupted by the Metropolis P.D. and their fruitless attempt to rake me over the coals we were addressing the open issue of what Bureau 39 had uncovered.”

“Yes, Mr. Trask came across many beneficial items during his time of studying Superman and his landing.”

“Yes, intriguing,” Lex commented. “Superman’s ship found in 1966 – thirty years prior to arriving in Metropolis.”

“Perhaps he was in a vegetative stage of some sort? Frozen animation?” Nigel suggested.

“Not with the ship in Mr. Trask’s possession,” Lex responded coolly. “No, I believe the answer is much simpler, Nigel. Superman arrived here years ago. Why he waited this long to make his presence known is a mystery. But I shall soon find out.”

“Bureau 39 is completely dismantled,” Nigel reminded him.

“But fortunately, as a prime benefactor all files and possessions are within my reach.” Lex remarked, lighting up his cigar. “I believe it’s time we returned stateside. A visit to Washington is warranted, don’t you think?”

“And what about this Henderson at the Metropolis P.D.?” Nigel reminded him.

“I’m sure I can find him something to keep him occupied.” Lex pointed to the door behind him. “It’s time we get down to business.”

~The End

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube