Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Leave FDK here! Thank you!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Columnist
Columnist
I loved it. Thank you so much. I grew up in one of those small towns and our library means everything to us. Our big thing is we outgrew our library 20 years ago and need a bigger building and can't seem to get it. Why can't they do something like this? I love how even Jonathan and Martha were part of it and had their first kiss at the library.

Thank you so much @lovetvfan. And yes, I did notice we got each other in the ficathon.

Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by CarrieRene
I loved it. Thank you so much. I grew up in one of those small towns and our library means everything to us. Our big thing is we outgrew our library 20 years ago and need a bigger building and can't seem to get it. Why can't they do something like this? I love how even Jonathan and Martha were part of it and had their first kiss at the library.

Thank you so much @lovetvfan. And yes, I did notice we got each other in the ficathon.

I did as well and the library was also really important to me. I based Marilyn and Carol on two women who used to run the library in my old home town and that story about Clark reading everything in the library and not coming back for a bit? That was totally me lol

And I liked the idea of L&C having their first kiss in the same place that his parents did. Thanks so much for the great idea!

-Angel
Columnist
Columnist
When Axel was younger we would go every week to get books, children's movies, and do storytime. They started to say Hi to us by name every time. The town has had a mileage that doesn't pass by a small margin for the past four years to expand our library.

I also liked the idea of the kiss in the same place.

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Awww, I love everything about this. I’m a sucker for a pre-dating/early-dating story set in Smallville. I love that they were trying to save the library and that their first kids was in the same place as his parents’ — that seems like a good sign for them! This whole thing was so sweet from start to finish.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by CarrieRene
When Axel was younger we would go every week to get books, children's movies, and do storytime. They started to say Hi to us by name every time. The town has had a mileage that doesn't pass by a small margin for the past four years to expand our library.

I also liked the idea of the kiss in the same place.

It's nice to have community spaces where people know you. I miss my old home town. It had a population of about 3000 people and everyone knew each other. It wasn't perfect but it was home. My city is nice too and I love it here but it's not the same

-Angel
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by AnnieM
Awww, I love everything about this. I’m a sucker for a pre-dating/early-dating story set in Smallville. I love that they were trying to save the library and that their first kids was in the same place as his parents’ — that seems like a good sign for them! This whole thing was so sweet from start to finish.

Awwww thanks! I really liked the prompt and it was really fun playing with the small town aspect of Smallville and L&C right at the beginning of things. Thank you!

-Angel
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Loved this story. First I thought that Clark's interest in the library was a little more personal. But it's cute that he wants to save the place for his Mom. I, too, spend a lot of my teenage years in the local library. I didn't read all the books, though...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Adorable fic. And I'm so glad they both thought things through and that Lois got to talk with Martha.

Loved the small-town feel throughout as well, especially the restaurant :3.

Thanks for posting it all in one go too laugh. I'm not terribly patient ...

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
What’s not to love about this story! It’s the absolute best! notworthy

And the duet in the pub! What I wouldn’t give to have seen that in the TV show. dance

Excellent work!
clap clap

Features Writer
Features Writer
Loved everything about this -- the premise, Clark wanting to help save the library for his mom (even though he didn't know why she cared so much!) love, them having their first date in Smallville, Lois shopping to pick out something to wear, Clark being nervous, Lois singing for him (Squeee!!!! love), the revelation, the first kiss! All of it -- so well done!!!

The duet in the pub... I rotflol and cringed, knowing Clark can't carry a tune! lol

So wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

-Bek
hyper

Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by bakasi
Loved this story. First I thought that Clark's interest in the library was a little more personal. But it's cute that he wants to save the place for his Mom. I, too, spend a lot of my teenage years in the local library. I didn't read all the books, though...

Yeah he wanted it to be a surprise. At first I had it in my head that he knew why it mattered so much to his Mom but eventually I decided he didn't, he just wanted to help lol

Thank you!

-Angel
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Adorable fic. And I'm so glad they both thought things through and that Lois got to talk with Martha.

Loved the small-town feel throughout as well, especially the restaurant :3.

Thanks for posting it all in one go too laugh. I'm not terribly patient ...

There should be a rule for every fic: always talk to Martha lol! And yeah I wanted the ficathon fic to be all in one go. Only seemed fair. Good thing it didn't get any longer

-Angel
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by Penny_Lane
What’s not to love about this story! It’s the absolute best! notworthy

And the duet in the pub! What I wouldn’t give to have seen that in the TV show. dance

Excellent work!
clap clap

Awww thanks! I am glad it worked out! And I would have LOVED to see them do karaoke together lol

-Angel
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by SuperBek
Loved everything about this -- the premise, Clark wanting to help save the library for his mom (even though he didn't know why she cared so much!) love, them having their first date in Smallville, Lois shopping to pick out something to wear, Clark being nervous, Lois singing for him (Squeee!!!! love), the revelation, the first kiss! All of it -- so well done!!!

The duet in the pub... I rotflol and cringed, knowing Clark can't carry a tune! lol

So wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

-Bek
hyper

Yay thank you! I meant to put in my author's note that I am aware that "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer didn't come out as a single until 1997 but I forgot and ksarasara said nobody would notice so I'm glad that was true

-Angel
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I love this story! It made me melt into a pile of fangirl goo. I can see Clark wanting to save the library for his mom. That’s just so Clark. Lois and Clark’s first date was sweet, especially with Lois singing to Clark and then the revelation! I’m glad Martha was there to talk to Lois and that Lois thought things through and realized both she and Clark made mistakes and that they needed to start with a clean slate. I love that their first kiss was at the library just like Martha’s and Jonathan’s. Though the story ended before the Taste of Smallville fundraiser and the vote, I believe they saved the library. Thanks for a lovely story and making me smile! I needed this today!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just what I needed today to cheer me up while trying to recuperate from a nasty virus! So beautifully sweet and just what the doctor ordered!! smile

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Great job with Lois and Clark's banter - and Martha and Jonathan are greatly done too, of course!

The investigative journalism part about the library was so exciting to read about, I got really invested in it! And Martha's confession about how important it was to her made me tear up!

Love the funny bits interspersed in the narration, such as:

here in Smallville the closest thing they saw to traffic on Main St. was a bicycle.

or

Lois was pretty sure being in a hurry was illegal in Smallville.

or

She barely even heard the drunk who was up at the microphone causing Freddie Mercury to turn over in his grave.

and also in the dialogue:

“You could have asked me out, you know,” he teased. “This is the twentieth century.”

This whole scene is so beautiful!

I love Lois shopping for the date, such a cute scene!

The restaurant was such a quaint touch and I'm so glad that Lois liked it! I love those little places! (And I love the karaoke choices of the patrons, lol!)

The revelation! So well done, and this bit:

In another life, a date with Superman would have been a dream come true. But tonight, she’d only wanted to be with Clark.

So where did that leave her?

LOL at the Marilyn and Carol and their comment about the parking lot!

And the ending is just gorgeous!

This was a great story, fantastically done! I enjoyed every word of it!! Thank you for sharing! sloppy

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by Songbird
I love this story! It made me melt into a pile of fangirl goo. I can see Clark wanting to save the library for his mom. That’s just so Clark. Lois and Clark’s first date was sweet, especially with Lois singing to Clark and then the revelation! I’m glad Martha was there to talk to Lois and that Lois thought things through and realized both she and Clark made mistakes and that they needed to start with a clean slate. I love that their first kiss was at the library just like Martha’s and Jonathan’s. Though the story ended before the Taste of Smallville fundraiser and the vote, I believe they saved the library. Thanks for a lovely story and making me smile! I needed this today!

Oh wow thank you so much for your thoughtful comments! I never would have thought of this plot had it not been for the ficathon prompt Carrie Rene gave me! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

-Angel
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally Posted by Superjan
Just what I needed today to cheer me up while trying to recuperate from a nasty virus! So beautifully sweet and just what the doctor ordered!! smile

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! Thank you so much for reading it and I am glad I could help!

-Angel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard