bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Please leave some feedback.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Columnist
Columnist
Angst is right. I love angst also. This is full of it, but full of warm and fuzzy feelings also. Fantastic work.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! OMG this has SO many feels, it’s great!! And I’m pretty sure this is my favorite type of revelation!! hyper When she breaks into his apartment and waits for him… whether or not it’s a tired Superman that finds her. But GAHHH! And you added this anger aspect because he was totally so tired, but everything just makes her bring her feelings to the front for fear of losing him! clap clap

And definitely a hilarious and amazing coincidence that I just had to write that fix-it story last week! I love this one too!

Thank you for such a fantastic gift!! love

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Bakasi, this is just soooo.........perfect!

love love

The only thing that could possibly improve it would be...... more. Just more! thumbsup

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wonderful, incredible introspection. Very well done, from start to finish. clap

Clark's exhausted reaction to her being there, falling asleep on the couch, and then having coffee ready for her in the morning, knowing he needed to tell her the secret.... Then her reaction to the revelation, and everything else... Just perfect!!! love

Thank you for sharing!

-Bek

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love how Lois realized her mistake and was willing to do whatever it took to apologize and fix things with Clark when she thought she was going to lose him. She made up a whole scenario in her mind about Clark being sick because that would mean she hadn't screwed things up so badly. But when she realized it was not what she had been thinking, she became so desperate that she was willing to break into his apartment and wait until he got back. I was afraid she would leave when he refused to talk to her, but I'm glad she stayed and they got everything out in the open. Perfect! clap clap

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by KSaraSara
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! OMG this has SO many feels, it’s great!! And I’m pretty sure this is my favorite type of revelation!!

Then I did something right. Hope this fixes the other fic for you. wink

Originally Posted by SuperBek
Clark's exhausted reaction to her being there, falling asleep on the couch, and then having coffee ready for her in the morning, knowing he needed to tell her the secret....

Thank you. I loved writing Clark this way, so exhausted that he's acting a bit off.

Originally Posted by CarrieRenee
Angst is right. I love angst also.

dance

Thank you all for your feedback.

Last edited by bakasi; 12/27/22 01:23 PM.

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I think you've got angst figured out just fine. wink I loved the idea of her realizing her mistake and actually doing something about it. And I'm a sucker for her breaking into his apartment. I like that he didn't immediately coddle her and was a little irritated and too tired to have the conversation immediately. She needed to stew a little bit. Just lovely!

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Columnist
Columnist
Oh wow this was absolutely gorgeous! I felt every single one of Clark's emotions even though it was told from Lois' POV. Thank you for sharing this!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by lovetvfan
! I felt every single one of Clark's emotions even though it was told from Lois' POV

Thanks that means a lot.

Originally Posted by AnnieM
I'm a sucker for her breaking into his apartment. I like that he didn't immediately coddle her and was a little irritated and too tired to have the conversation immediately.

I wonder if Clark breaking into Lois apartment would be just as well received. Somehow, I think it would make him a creep. Some double standard we have there... wink

Thanks so much for giving feedback. hyper

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ohhh like this one a lot! What a great way to start closing out the year. Poor Lois!

Now that I’m here, I no longer know what to do. Maybe I should just give him some space. He probably needs it. After all, l slammed the door in his face after an absolutely amazing first date. It's not fair that I expect him to forgive me in exchange for a lousy can of chicken soup.

Yeah, considering all the work Clark did to get you to go on a date with him, a can of chicken soup just doesn't get the job done. But at least you tried. goofy

It seemed like the world had decided to go crazy all at once. There had been an earthquake in India long before I even made it to the Planet. And hadn't it been for Superman, I'd probably have ended up in a hostage situation during a brief visit at a bank in Metropolis.

He'd been completely caked in mud, when he'd taken care of the bank robbers. On his way back to India, he cleared a pile-up on a bridge. And later, he dealt with a landslide in Brazil. Today, it seemed, Superman just couldn't take a break.

Oh my, poor Clark! No wonder he has been around.

Still, no one answers the door. And knocking a third time - banging at the door would be the more accurate description - doesn't change the result. I have to face the hard truth. Clark's not home. He’s not nursing a case of the flu, he’s taking care of his broken heart.

Reading this line had tears come into my eyes. Nursing a broken heart is a long and torturous process. Sadly a process Lois knows only too well. After all the federal disasters she has had to endure she understands where Clark's mind and heart are at. Lois is looking outside herself and seeing the pain of another person. That takes humility and maturity. From here onwards Mad Dog Lane takes a backseat.

I should have known better, because Clark is my best friend, the man I feel so incredibly comfortable around. And last night was simply magic. I thought I was head-over-heels in love with him before - but now it’s like someone pulled the rug out from under me. And I’m falling, falling for him so hard that it scares me witless.

Ain't love grand? shock

My hands are going through the motions of heating water and finding a herbal blend among Clark’s vast assortment of teas that suits my mood. I focus all my attention on the task at hand: finding his kettle, filling it with water, heating it on his stove.

So often, I've watched Clark do the same things. He would smile at me, while we'd try to sort through the evidence for our latest story. I'd feel his hand on the small of my back when he'd need to reach past me.

Love this description! I can see her looking for the tea, picking up one packet and discarding it for another. So beautiful. As a matter of fact, after reading this I'm going downstairs to get a cuppa.

“Will you be all right?” I whisper.

His lips twitch into a small smile that is gradually becoming broader.

He nods. "With you by my side, I will be.”

Sigh....melting away with happiness. Thanks for this lovely gem!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I love this! It has so many emotions and feels and the right amount of angst too. I enjoyed Lois’s introspection. Her thoughts about breaking into Clark’ apartment and her not thinking through an explanation was so Lois. Clark’s shortness with Lois was understandable and I could just feel his exhaustion.

I liked the revelation the next morning and I’m glad Lois didn’t get mad. When she saw him without his glasses after he got out of the shower, I thought she might figure it out then but it’s good she didn’t because he needed sleep. In his state of exhaustion, it might not have gone so well.

I liked the following exchange. Clark’s apprehension was understandable and Lois’s reply was perfect.

His eyes widen and a dark gleam of desire lights them up. “You want me to kiss you?”

“Absolutely.”

His voice is husky and just a tad apprehensive. “Lois…”

I take both his hands in mine. “There are no doors here.”

The ending made me melt. It’s very touching. Just beautiful!

“Will you be all right?” I whisper.

His lips twitch into a small smile that is gradually becoming broader.

He nods. "With you by my side, I will be.”

Great job, bakasi! Thanks for a fantastic story! I just wish there was more!

bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Morgana
Reading this line had tears come into my eyes. Nursing a broken heart is a long and torturous process. Sadly a process Lois knows only too well.

Yeah, she does. Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad you liked this story. I know some of my recent works have been hard on you. Nothing like a little fluff to round a rough year up.

Originally Posted by Songbird
liked the revelation the next morning and I’m glad Lois didn’t get mad. When she saw him without his glasses after he got out of the shower, I thought she might figure it out then but it’s good she didn’t because he needed sleep. In his state of exhaustion, it might not have gone so well.

Maybe he looked not so super in his state of exhaustion? And about Lois not getting mad - that was quite an interesting line to walk. I think that he told her after their first date scored him some points with her. And she had a lot to be sorry about so that might have helped as well.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Bakasi,

One of the things that I think the series got wrong was Clark not telling her he was Superman, even when proposing to her! That always bothered me. He’s lucky she finally forgave him.

Yes, he probably didn’t look super in his state of exhaustion. I liked how your Lois handled the revelation. Thanks for righting a series wrong! I hope you write a sequel. I would love to read more! Thanks for a lovely story!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Barbara!
KSara asked for:

Angst! (Can be light or heavy)
A really great kiss (bonus points if it’s a first kiss)
Pre-dating or early relationship

The three things she didn't want were:
Clones
Lex
A-plot
Oh, that’s so mean! Oh, I know, what about Season 2 Lois meeting Max in a bar and getting enamored by the charming head doctor? They could even kiss!
*SCNR*

thought that was easy, because angst I can do.
Ooooh, Inside …!

For example, I was baffled, even recently when someone wrote that AnnieM's story "What the heart wants" was angsty. I still have to kind of fight the notion that angsty tales mean a horror story. I know they don't, but it's ingrained in me
Oh yeah, that’s funny! Angst the noun is a non-issue. Especially these days when TV guides use “teenage angst” in every other show’s description. And I do think my understanding probably goes back to the early days on these boards here. Angsty the adjective however, yes, I can’t completely forget the horror-aspect. Hey, wait, it’s time for New Year’s resolutions! (Yes, I started reading/FDK before New Year’s peep)

Though he's had more doctor's appointments than I can count, I've never seen him with as much as a sniffle.
In…I think it’s India…traditional medicine works by paying the doctor a standing fee while you’re not sick. You stop when you get sick, and then go back to paying once you’re healthy again. So, Clark could be doing that- visiting the doctors to stay healthy.

Because that would mean I could nurse him back to health. I could put the can of chicken soup in my bag to good use and make him forget about the terrible end of our wonderful date, yesterday.
rotflol

's not fai’s not fair that I expect him to forgive me in exchange for a lousy can of chicken soup.
Yes, she could have so packed some of her DFCBs.
LOIS: shock Now, just wait a minute. No need to overdo things. He gets soup. That should be fine .

. It's a good thing he knows better than to give into my every whim. Sometimes I really need protection from myself.
Good thing that he needed a hobby.

She would have kissed him, maybe even invited him in.
Actually, she invited him in before their first date. A lot of women do.

He would have had a good time instead of finding himself in front of a closed door.
Nay, he’s had plenty a good times with Lois on the other side of a closed door.

So why on earth did I slam my door in his face?
TEMPUS: I got a theory!

Clark won't suddenly appear just because I want him to.
Step 1: Find Jaws of Death.
Step 2: Help, Superman!

Today of all days the breaking news hit us with the force of a tsunami.
Oops?

And hadn't it been for Superman, I'd probably have ended up in a hostage situation during a brief visit at a bank in Metropolis.
Awww, see, he’s not ghosting you at all. He’s just busy. Also, will they stop admitting Lois into banks or jewelry stores? You know, for insurance reasons.

l. Today, it seemed, Superman just couldn't take a break.
Huh, or is he in fact super-ghosting her after all?

If I'm honest everything seems so much easier when he's present.
Except operating doors.

God, I long for his touch.
Maybe she should tell him that she wants to be touched by him evil

I don't need him to write, really I don’t. He's more like the air that I breathe.
Awww…
So, he makes work … fun?

What if he’s actually sick enough that he can't get to the phone?
He could have had an undiagnosed heart failure or weak artery that has burst. He could be laying there in the floor, pale and stiff.

But that’s not like him is it? So far, Clark has been incredibly patient with me. Nothing I did to him scared him off. But even a man like Clark must have his limits. My throat tightens even more. Slamming the door in his face might well have been the final straw that broke the camel's back.
Nah, don’t worry. So long as you don’t get hurt by criminals or run off with a criminal, he’ll come after you.

and gives me the courage to knock at his door. The door rattles under the attack of my fist. “Clark, open up,” I shout. “I know you’re there.”
She’s adorable, banging at the door like a woman possessed.

I want to prepare a can of chicken soup and fix this whole disaster in one go. I need him and I really can’t stand another moment of this uncertainty.
Am not sure if I should laugh or go awwwwww…

And knocking a third time - banging at the door would be the more accurate description
See?

he’s taking care of his broken heart.
She really needs a directory of all the available blondes in the city.

If he’s home and unwilling to talk to me, he certainly won’t welcome my breaking into his apartment. But I guess I’ll have to take that risk.
Nah, he’s used to stalking his girlfriend, no ground to complain when she turns the table.

I look around the corner and find Clark's bed empty, safe for a few jackets and ties scattered across his bedspread.
No blondes. Good. Also, he wasn't home since the incident. And yet he told Perry he’s out sick.

. Did he get home at all last night?
Maybe he walked into a seedy bar and decided to mix things up by going home with a redhead since his luck with blondes and brunettes was so rotten.

Or did he decide to find solace in Mayson's arms?
Oh, right, the date and the explosion where in the same episode!

What will kissing him be like if he really means it? Now, I might never find out. I’m such an idiot.
TEMPUS: Galactically, in fact. Also, love the irony.

. But somehow I failed to prepare for the other option.
No shaving her legs past her knee, huh?

Sooner or later, Clark will come home. I just hope that he’s still willing to talk to me after I broke into his apartment.
Nah he won't notice, given how tired he is going to be.

a relationship with Superman isn’t quite what I want, anyway. I guess it never was, because - how would that even work?
As rescue with benefits?

It’s all so confusing. Why is it so hard to decide whom and what I really want?
Umm…

Tears spill down my cheeks. It didn’t happen like this. It never will, because I’m stupid and scared and so generally messed up that I can’t take a chance when it’s offering itself on a silver platter.
Yes, well, it’s still a chance. It’s like a live cobra, not snakeskin boots.

Why do we make each other's lives so difficult?
Nielson ratings?

I wake up to the sound of running water.
Wonder if Clark knows she’s there.

Breaking into his apartment and sleeping on his couch without so much as an invitation surely isn’t going to score me any points with him.
Beautiful woman, waiting in his bed? Nah, he’ll be fine with it.

Or did he spend the evening with Mayson and now he’s sticky with the sweat of passion?
Oooh! Or he’s still in his bed and it’s Mayson in the shower!

How could I ever expect him to forgive me if I barge into his life, invade his privacy and don’t even allow him to have this conversation on his own terms?
By overwhelming him.

But I always bring out the worst in them.
Yeah, Claude surely was a hapless victim of her brilliance. And Lex, he was a renowned philanthropist and multiple Man of the Year before he met her and turned to a life of crime and villainy. And Clark, poor Clark was a model citizen and known boy scout. Now, just look at him. Dresses up in tights and spends his days and nights vigilanting about, skipping work and dates.

He mutters a curse,
“Oh boy. Oh shoot!”

Our hands touch for a moment, as I help him gather the shards. He looks up, startled. “Lois? You're here?"
See? Black out drunk. Probably could have gotten a night of passion out of him and he wouldn't even have remembered the next morning.

I want to capture his face in my hands and kiss him until he forgets he’s angry at me.
Just one quick peck on the lips?

Something else about him looks odd, but I can’t place my finger on what that is.
No glasses. Looks a lot like Superman.

He rubs his eyes and takes a deep breath,
See?

Doesn’t he even care enough to be angry at me? Somehow that hurts more than any rebuff ever could.
Maybe she should try blowing up at him about it.

“You've called in sick because of me, you've probably drunken yourself into a stupor because of me…"
Don’t flatter yourself, Lois. He’d mope, sure. But drunken stupor? Nah, the last time he did that was when he left that Greek island and its princess behind.

. And I feel almost insulted that getting a door slammed in his face didn’t result in a severe alcohol intoxication.
laugh

But I can’t stop myself. “Did you go to her? Did she give you what you couldn’t get from me yesterday?”
Oh boy.

Again, the words are out, before I have a chance to stop myself. I clap my hand in front of my mouth
rotflol this has got to be a first!

I need him to forgive me. I need him. Period.
awww

That's not true. You could make me understand, I-"
CLARK: Lois, Superman has a World Peace fund raiser in Asia in ten minutes. I really need to be going.

“No I can’t." he cuts me off. He lets out a breath. "At least not now. Maybe not ever. But it has nothing to do with anything you said or did, I promise."
Aww, the old “its me, not you” explanation. Those always work well.

“I don’t care if I’m comfortable as long as I’m asleep.” He groans.
So, if she offered cookie right now…?
CLARK: Oooh … zzzz

He’s wearing his glasses again.
Had a wee spot of panic when he woke up the morning and remembered his glasses, did he?

feeling guilty again because I’m the one occupying his bed.
It’s a big bed…

“It shouldn’t have ended like that. I wish I could go back in time and kiss you goodnight. Can you forgive me?”
I don't know if I mentioned this already, but if she has kissed him, he would have still ghosted her the next day. That might have been worse…

. If I fail - if Clark finds me lacking, if he’ll think I’m an ice queen, just like the others did, then everything is lost.
There, there. He’s already seen the harem’s costume. No ice in sight.

And with a sudden flash of clarity, I remember exactly why I slammed the door in his face.
Door is right over there. Next to that nice cabbie with the airport-special.

My voice breaks. “Or don’t you want to kiss me?”
CLARK: confused

I lay my hand on his. “Unless you’re secretly married, I don’t think anything could possibly make me mad at you, Clark. You’re such a good friend. Better than I deserve.”
CLARK: Zara, my wife, is in some political trouble and needed my help. And no, our marriage is well-known on New Krypton, why do you ask?

It can," he mutters. "And what's worse, I can't stay long enough to let you yell at me all you want, because I'm still needed. Actually, I should be getting back right now, but this…"
Win win. She can practice yelling at the empty air in the room after he leaves. It will be a valuable skill in the future.

He casts his eyes down. "I'm so sorry about lying to you so many times. And in the worst way possible."
Hey, he never told her he was at the library while he was at Jumbo-Jiggles watching The Sexy Librarian untie her bun.

Lois?" He whispers. "Say something, please?" "Oh Clark," is all I manage.
g-awwww

. "But can we say goodbye the way we should have done after our date?”
Ummm, he won’t fit in his suit after that…

His voice is husky and just a tad apprehensive. “Lois…” I take both his hands in mine. “There are no doors here.”
laugh
SUPERMAN: Emergency!

“Are you going to be here when I come back?” I feel the low rumble of his voice under my fingers.
Yes, she’ll either be here or there will be a helpful note, explaining where he is supposed to deliver the bag of money to get her back.

“Will you be all right?” I whisper. His lips twitch into a small smile that is gradually becoming broader. He nods. "With you by my side, I will be.”
Awwwww

That was a beautiful story, Barbara. Kudos to doing it all single person first person present tense clap

Hope you don't mind, the FDK got a wee bit longish peep

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Why would I mind long feedback? hyper Thanks Michael.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Can't say enough how much I LOVED this story!! notworthy

bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you. Glad you liked it

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Loved the angst! So well done with the Lois POV!

Am I glad there were no doors there! wink

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard