Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I didn't see the best new author category. Maybe that's because you assume it's a given. I'm just wondering if maybe we should change it to "best author", because we don't have so many new authors that it seems like every new author would be nominated by default. I don't know how many new authors are on AO3, so I might be mistaken.

Thoughts anyone?

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Originally Posted by bakasi
I didn't see the best new author category. Maybe that's because you assume it's a given. I'm just wondering if maybe we should change it to "best author", because we don't have so many new authors that it seems like every new author would be nominated by default. I don't know how many new authors are on AO3, so I might be mistaken.

Thoughts anyone?

This is something the KComm has been discussing extensively. This category is beloved and we want to continue honoring it, but you are absolutely right that we don’t have enough new authors annually for it to be a viable, competitive category like it once was. It seems we are averaging around 2-3 new authors per year, which is not even enough to fill the ballot spaces AND creates a situation where we have one winner and one “loser” which doesn’t feel encouraging or uplifting. We don’t want anyone to feel like a “loser” — being nominated should be an honor in and of itself.

To that end…we’d like to do away with the category as a competition and instead feature each new author during the ceremony.

I’m envisioning scattering the profiles throughout the ceremony (like the Oscars take turns featuring the Best Picture nominees). Each feature could highlight a New Author’s portfolio of work this year and introduce them to the fandom as a whole.

I’m intrigued by the idea of including a Best Author category and would love to hear more opinions about that. I know in (long) past years it’s happened that an author will have multiple stories in competition and will split the vote, such that they don’t win the categories that they might otherwise have won if they weren’t competing against themselves. This might be a way of circumventing that issue as well as a way to honor an author’s entire body of work over the course of the year as opposed to individual stories.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
D
Merriwether
Merriwether
D
Hi FoLCs!

A summary of all of the nKerth Awards and an FAQ is available at http://www.lcficdirectory.com/nkerth/

Thanks!
Dawn & nKerth Committee

Last edited by KSaraSara; 12/19/22 11:25 AM. Reason: Making the link clickable. :)
Columnist
Columnist
I don't mind the idea of a best overall author category, but what would the criteria be? Or would we just give a list of all eligible authors and let people choose based on their own reasons?

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hey guys! I'll throw my 2 cents in here, with the added experience of currently going through the annual awards in my other fandom.

- I definitely agree with DeadlyChakram that Art and Videos should be considered separate categories. It's understandable that there may not be too many of them, but it's just the first year we'll be doing these categories; maybe it's worth taking a shot at it if there are at least 5 of each.

- In my other fandom, Mature and Explicit stories compete in all categories without limitations, and there's also a Best Smut category, which is obviously where they compete against each other. FWIW. There's also a Best Kiss category.

- Another couple of categories we have in my other fandom would translate as Best Clark Characterization and Best Lois Characterization. (They sound familiar, did we ever use to have these?)

- AnnieM answered the question about Best Commenter perfectly. I think it's a good category to have. It encourages people to leave comments, and besides (having just been nominated for it in my other fandom!) I can tell you that it feels not so much as a win for the individual person as a contribution to the community! It's subjective, definitely - one may vote for the person who leaves the most detailed comments; one may vote for the one who SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEES and capslock-smashes; one may vote for the one who leaves a one-liner of a comment on every single fic. But that's the beauty of it.

- I think Best Overall Author would work better as an "Author of the year" award. Someone who either wrote a lot this year, or wrote something FANTASTIC, or anyways any person that you were really looking forward to seeing updates from this year.

- And yes, a Lifetime Achievement Award would be nice, but as it's not as a competitive category, maybe the idea of a larger committee who decides on it would be nice. Obviously can't be awarded to the same person more than once. :p Also, to me it does feel like something to be given either to people who either have retired from fandom entirely, or who are otherwise not likely to be awarded any of the other awards (even if they used to be writers and have many awards).

Overall, I'd like to add this:

Best is subjective, and we all know that. Personally, I have never managed to vote for a winner xD somehow my taste is always so different than the majority's! But that's fine, we all vote with our tastes and that's what gives more flavour to the fandom. smile

I'll come back if I think of more stuff to add!

Last edited by Anna B. the Greek; 12/20/22 09:27 AM.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
OH!! Re: New Author. In my other fandom, as New Authors qualify all who haven't posted fic in over 3 years. I feel like, with a fandom like ours, it wouldn't be fair, because there's a steady core of fandom here, with the boards and the Archive and everything - I didn't feel like a n00b coming back here after 15 years, but I did when I got back there and found the fandom having moved from FF.net and LJ to Tumblr and AO3, and no familiar names at all anywhere, most current active writers only having started to write during the quarantine years.

However... how about a Best Comeback? Several of us missed our chance lol but if another wave of FoLCs starts returning, it might be a good thought to have in mind!

Last edited by Anna B. the Greek; 12/19/22 06:29 PM.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It is wonderful to see all these comments about the proposed new categories for the upcoming Kerths. I haven't been around as long as Anna B., but the fandom has changed quite a bit in 12 years. So happy to see the new writers and great energy! dance

Last edited by Morgana; 12/21/22 03:54 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I don't know if it's too late for that, but I had an idea concerning the best commenter/ feedback category. The goal as I understand it, is to honor the people taking the time to leave feedback. But some people fear that folcs might feel discouraged to leave feedback, because they can't afford the time to leave detailed feedback. I think while most authors are excited about detailed feedback, they are just as thrilled if they get some FDK from someone who almost never leaves a comment.

My suggestion would be to have an open nomination. Every folc who has ever written a story can nominate a person they think qualifies for the award. They'd have to give a reason, though. IDK, like Person X leaves always Feedback, or his/her feedback meant so much, because he/she decided to delurk for me. Of course the reason can (or should be) a little more detailed than that)

That way - I think - every nominated folc can read what their comment meant to the author and get a reward even if they don't win the award.

Thoughts, anyone? It's just a suggestion.

Last edited by bakasi; 01/02/23 05:51 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
I'm late to this party....

I love the idea of Best Kiss.

I'm excited that the nKerth's may be happening this year! While I don't write nfic, I do enjoy the stories. It's great to have the opportunity to recognize those works too. If they wouldn't be happening, I agree adding them into the Kerths would be great.

My thought/suggestion would be to have authors place their own fics into certain categories? As an example: Best Revelation. A thread could be started for that category and authors would insert their fic. Fred would place their fic into Best Revelation because one of their stories has a reveal. Jen would also place her fic into this thread as there is a reveal, but it's an OC reveal. We could use those lists for nominations instead of the KComm committee trying to categorize everything, and as authors, we know our stories best.

Sorry... I don't think is as clear as it is in my head at the moment smile I wrote it up in a nice big post and then my tabs closed frown

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So, the nfics all get two chances to win a Kerth and all the gfics only get one? Doesn't seem fair at all.

Last edited by KSaraSara; 01/15/23 06:25 PM. Reason: Just a note that this was moved to the Categories discussion post (here) from the Eligible stories list per Michael’s request and so that a timely response can be given. :)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thank you so much Anna, Morgana, bakasi, and Toomi for sharing your opinions!! And thanks for your patience with us over the holidays and whatnot while we (or at least me lol) play catch up with everything and work to get things rolling for the Kerths behind the scenes!

Bakasi—I really like that suggestion! As we’re finalizing the category list, we’ll also be making sure the category definitions make sense and make things easy to nominate and vote. With best commenter being so new and different, we’ll definitely have to take all these ideas into consideration and come up with something that makes the most sense. smile

Toomi—I love Best Kiss, too! The K-Comm will double check things, as with all categories, and see if it makes sense for this year!

I do hear you on the categorization—it’s a tricky things, for sure! And it used to not be an issue when eligible stories were only from the archive, where everything gets handy category keywords from the GEs. The K-Comm has no intention of categorizing things! The nominations process itself will serve to do the categorization! The only thing the K-Comm will do is kind of a once over to decide whether or not there are enough “revelation stories” to warrant an entire category for them.

The great thing about the nomination process is that everyone who thinks, “Oh man, the revelation that Jane Doe wrote was AWESOME! I’m going to nominate that for Best Revelation!” Things will self-sort. And we’ll hopefully get some threads and games up soon to help remind people of some of those great moments from stories throughout the year.

Thanks!

Sara and the K-Comm

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
So, the nfics all get two chances to win a Kerth and all the gfics only get one? Doesn't seem fair at all.

That’s a great point to bring up! At first glance, it does seem like that, but…that’s essentially what is happening now anyway even if the Kerths don’t include nfic eligibility.

I got a PM from an nKerth Committee member who gave me permission to post this on their behalf (they are a lurker who wishes to remain so) for you all in way of explanation as well as an informal announcement about this year’s nKerths.

Please let us know if this addresses your concerns! smile

Sara and the K-Comm

From an nKerth Committee member:
Originally Posted by an nKerth Committee member
Per what Deadly Chakram said above, any nfic story with a gfic version has always had a chance to win two awards (although one might have been a few years later, depending on the nKerth Awards schedule). The only difference is the nfic stories without a gfic version will now have a chance too. I don't really see a problem, but that's just my opinion.

We currently plan on having the nKerth Awards after the Kerth Awards. Our very tentative schedule, depending on what you decide, is Nominations in April, Voting in May, and Winners Announcement in June. With only 35 eligible stories, we only have six categories as of now:

Best Short Story (less than 100 KBs)
Best Midlength Story (100 through 300 KBs)
Best Long Story (greater than 300 KBs)
Most Sensual
Best First Time
Best Overall nFic

We eliminated the categories of Drama, Humor, Waffy, and Else/Alt World because of the lack of stories and because those categories are included in the Kerths. Many nFic stories have a Fanfic version so they were already eliglble or will be eligible for a Kerth for those categories.

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard