bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks Bek, so happy you liked it.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OMG I love it!!! And I love that he has an assistance dog; that's something you don't see much of in fiction (aside from the famous seeing-eye). Curious now how things are going to work out for him!

~•~
bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Queenie. While writing the Clark from "Live Another Day," who was even more in control of his powers than canon Clark, I wondered what Clark's life might be like if he had moments where her couldn't control himself. Not only for a day or two like in Lethal Weapon, but for years. How would he cope?

I had the idea for Houdini, when I remembered watching a documentary about assistance dogs for people with seizures that couldn't be completely controlled by medication.

But Houdini and Clark have a longer history than the Irish Setter just being his assistance dog.

Last edited by bakasi; 12/03/22 05:13 AM.

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
I love this story too! Great work Bakasi. I hope you have more too share from this AU.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ahhhh! Would you be surprised if I said POOOOOOR CLARK!!!! *cries*

I was really sad for this Clark! But… it is so heartwarming that he has a service dog!! Gahh! And the little touches were SO good… how he scanned for the only paper to buy that hadn’t reported on MagicKal—of course it’s the Planet…how he reads and admires her works, because of course he does…and that magical moment and whisper at the end there…. GAH!

clap

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Awww, poor Clark! Definitely interested in more!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Barbara!

Ooooh, sequel!
This is my second story for Ficlet Friday. I'm staying in the same AU. It's not necessary to read the other story first, though.
/Eyes this week/ A serialized epic?

. He looked down at his companion, who was wagging his tail and looking after a whole group of dogs going for a walk with their dog-sitter.
Aww, do Kryptonian noble dogs also get professional caregivers?

Houdini looked at Clark and deliberately sat down. His eyes seemed to say that he was going to stay, no matter what. The Setter was awfully stubborn.
That’s where Clark got his Lois-behavior from!
LOIS: I am not stubborn. And that’s Lucy’s picture in the encyclopedia next to ‘stubborn’, not mine. We just look a lot alike, because, you know, sisters?

. He'd rather see his name as a byline instead of plastered all across at least a dozen tabloids.
Let’s see how he pulls off that magic trick.
LOIS: I'll see his dog fly before he gets to be my partner.

I really wish I could work at the Daily Planet. But I doubt they'd be interested in any of my freelancing articles."
He could offer his skills as a research assistant for in-the-field work. Door opening, evidence gathering, observation, Lois-safe-keeping, etc.

Clark stopped and studied the dog's face. "Another hiccup? You sure?" Houdini barked. "Okay, then. Let's find a secluded spot." Clark fell into a light jog, Houdini right by his side.
/Squints/ dog having hick-ups or warning Clark of Clark’s hick-ups?

Clark forced his way back down and took several balls and pins out of the bag. He stuffed them into large pockets on his costume while he lost hold on gravity.
Distraction to stop the hick-ups!

The audience applauded and much to Clark's relief, the prickling in the back of his neck stopped. There would be no further power bursts.
/Squints/ red kryptonite?

Boy, he should really snap out of it, before he made a complete fool of himself.
Hey, dog owners and their pets often grow alike, so he could always blame his drooling on his dog’s influence.

"Brava!" she shouted.
/Psst/ ‘brava” is for applauding a woman and ‘bravo’ for applauding a man.

"Magical," she whispered. He couldn't agree more.
Good that ‘Winter Magic’ is already up. See you soon over there hyper

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
/Psst/ ‘brava” is for applauding a woman and ‘bravo’ for applauding a man.

Can I claim typo? blush No, I honestly didn't know that. It kept confusing mine, but I never took the time to cheek. Interesting that English of all languages destinguishes between men and women in that case.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by bakasi; 12/11/22 12:49 PM.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Can I claim typo? blush No, I honestly didn't know that. It kept confusing mine, but I never took the time to cheek. Interesting that English of all languages destinguishes between men and women in that case.
Oh, certainly a typo. Actually, it's so cool you're using the Dvorak layout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_keyboard_layout) with it's O and A right next to one another.

Also, more fun facts: The reason for this is similar to fiancee and fiance: The word's actually Italian and those pesky English never bothered to anglicize it properly laugh Come to think of it, do we use 'brava' in German? Don't know when I actually learned about this. I want to say I knew about it before reading fanfic, but I honestly can't claim that I know for sure.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I've never heard brava in German. And I'm confusing myself enough switching from the German to the English keyboard on my phone. So no adding a third set, just to distract everyone from the fact that I'm not a native speaker. rotflol

That should be pretty obvious.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So no adding a third set, just to distract everyone from the fact that I'm not a native speaker.
laugh just a fun factlet based on the "typo" remark smile1

I've never heard brava in German.
Thanks, me neither. Then again, perhaps when one visits the opera... It just struck me as fascinating given the amount of gendering that has been pushed to the forefront in the past decade or so and you have this perfectly gender-specific word for applauding artistic expressions and it might not get used when applauding female artists huh

wave Michael

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
My understanding on bravo/brava is that it originated with Italian opera, that a female vocalist would be bombarded with bouquets of flowers and the cheer of "Brava!" (if she impressed the audience, that is), while a male vocalist would get "Bravo!" and hotel room keys thrown on stage at his feet.

Kidding about the last part. I think. And I could be way off the rails on this one. Just my tuppence.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Wow, 30 years of L&C and there are still completely original story lines! Great story and interesting angle. More?

Thanks!

Shallowford
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Oooh, interesting! Great description of his magic performance! And I love how you incorporated Daily Planet into it!

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
How adorable! Clark with a pup. I’m very intrigued at the ‘hiccups.’

bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Toomi. I'm glad you like Houdini. The dog kind of snuck up on me while I was writing this tale. While Clark looked at the newspapers, feeling uncomfortable with all the attention, he needed to talk to someone and there he was - Houdini, wagging his tail. He's taken up quite a life of himself.

So glad you're in for the ride.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Definitely a new aspect of the LnC universe. Houdini is a great addition to the tale. (LOL!)

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
bakasi Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Morgana. It's nice to see a new reader in this universe.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard