Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Anchor: Part I -- Clark Kent (49-51)

The End! dance

Oh my goodness. thud

If you got this far, seriously -- thank you so much for reading! smile1 Many of you know that this is the first time I've shared my writing (I've shared more in the last month than in my whole life, I think!), and it's been a pleasure so far. The feedback and comments are supportive and encouraging, and it's been fun to hear your thoughts as you have read through the story piece by piece. clap

As I mentioned in the beginning author's notes, I have written part 2 to this story, which is actually the story told from the POV of this world's Clark Kent (Anchor: Part II -- Kal-El). It's obviously quite a different perspective, and I didn't set out with the plan to write it when I first started working on part 1. However, as I wrote part 1, I got to thinking about what was happening "behind the scenes" with this world's Lois and Clark while AltClark was doing his thing... And so, there's another 115k+ epic written from the other Clark's POV. If there is interest, I will post it, maybe after a little hiatus confused

Again, thank you all for the support and encouragement. It has truly been wonderful.

Comments??

-Bek
hyper

Top Banana
Top Banana
I've really enjoyed your excellent writing and following this story - despite lack of fdk (sorry!). I'll look forward to the next installment. Thanks for sharing with us.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by gr8shadesofElvis
I've really enjoyed your excellent writing and following this story - despite lack of fdk (sorry!). I'll look forward to the next installment. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you! And no worries -- I'm glad to hear from you now and to know that you enjoyed the story. smile1

-Bek

Features Writer
Features Writer
Really enjoyed this a lot, especially this world's reaction to Superman and AltClark's true goodness despite all odds. I love Clark and AltClark's connection and brotherly bond, and love AltClark's proactive and common sense approach to rescues.

I was admittedly hoping for Jonathon to talk to AltClark, but I guess I'll just have to be patient, just like AltClark.

I do wonder if AltClark is going to have to make a new identity. He can't just be Superman all the time and tiptoe around as Clark whenever in civvies....

Anyway, I'd certainly be interested in reading Clark's POV tho am really itching for more of AltClark's, because I really want to see him happy!!!

Well, thanks so much for sharing.

I hope to see more of your writing soon grin

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Really enjoyed this a lot, especially this world's reaction to Superman and AltClark's true goodness despite all odds. I love Clark and AltClark's connection and brotherly bond, and love AltClark's proactive and common sense approach to rescues.

I enjoyed the process of having AltClark grow (and grow to love himself) in a world in which he was appreciated. The world I imagine him having been left in at the end of Lois and Clarks (S4 Ep15) would have been a dark place for him, and I imagine how hard it would have been for him to be himself there -- to have hope and friendship and to be accepted. So having him come to this new world, where he is respected, appreciated, and loved let his true nature shine through smile

I was admittedly hoping for Jonathon to talk to AltClark, but I guess I'll just have to be patient, just like AltClark.

I know whinging And I was too. I tried several times to rewrite the ending to make it work, but this Jonathan just didn't want to listen to me! (He really is that stubborn!) There's more to it in Part II, when I get to posting it, and I hope that makes it a bit better.

I do wonder if AltClark is going to have to make a new identity. He can't just be Superman all the time and tiptoe around as Clark whenever in civvies....

I think ultimately, that will have to happen (I suppose he could be Clark's long lost identical twin brother, reunited! lol). But that isn't high on their priority list right now, so will have to be something addressed in the future.

Anyway, I'd certainly be interested in reading Clark's POV tho am really itching for more of AltClark's, because I really want to see him happy!!!

love

I do too!

I really hoped to show that he was happy and content with the life he'd built on this new world and to show how much he appreciated his new friendships. With the final scene, I hoped to show that Lois was a true friend and knew how much AltClark needed that. I know friendship/the love of good friends is not the same as romantic love, but given AltClark's history, I think having real, true friendship and acceptance is such a huge step in the right direction.

Well, thanks so much for sharing.

I hope to see more of your writing soon grin

Thank you so much!!

-Bek
hyper

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
This was...amazing! You do a masterful job of capturing and conveying the emotions. From his weary resignation in the beginning to his joy in fellowship at the end, I was drawn in and felt so connected to him. I do always like to see Clark get his Lois, but this was very satisfying also!

Readers Note: I don't care about you not being able to write without referencing modern smart phones! They had space station colonies and holograms in the show, smart phones don't bother me at all, lol.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again here, I'm soo glad you decided to come hang out with us in Discord, and that you were willing to share your writing with us! It has a depth and beauty that I'm very much enjoying =)

I'm very much looking forward to part 2!

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by PuffyTiger
This was...amazing! You do a masterful job of capturing and conveying the emotions. From his weary resignation in the beginning to his joy in fellowship at the end, I was drawn in and felt so connected to him. I do always like to see Clark get his Lois, but this was very satisfying also!

Thank you so much! It was really difficult to write the ending, because I wanted to convey how much life had truly changed for AltClark given his new friendships, despite the fact that he still doesn't have "his own Lois". He is happy and hopeful and in a much better place here.

Readers Note: I don't care about you not being able to write without referencing modern smart phones! They had space station colonies and holograms in the show, smart phones don't bother me at all, lol.

Glad to hear this! I was a bit worried, but eh... I could always just say "Alternate universe! My rules!" and go with it, I suppose lol But it seems like no one really cares too much grin And you're right that some of their technology is a bit beyond 1990s anyways, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again here, I'm soo glad you decided to come hang out with us in Discord, and that you were willing to share your writing with us! It has a depth and beauty that I'm very much enjoying =)

I'm very much looking forward to part 2!

Awwwww, thank you!! It's been so wonderful, I wish I'd joined in sooner. But I wasn't ready until now.

Thank you for reading! I'm working on another WIP right now, but I'll also work on getting part 2 posted, hopefully soon smile1

-Bek
hyper

R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
As I'm sure others have said, this is an excellent story! I'm a reader who only reads completed stories so, now that I've finished it, I want to comment. Your story kept me in suspense and I would regretfully put it down at the end of the day looking forward to the next day when I could continue in this universe. The first half of the story had me rooting for Lois to, slowly, come to love Alt-Clark. He seemed so very happy to be with her but then that universes Clark is introduced and my hopes were dashed.Alt-Clark has done an excellent job of hiding his feelings for Lois while supporting her and Clark. I wonder how he's going to deal with being Superman most of the time and how H.G. Wells will factor into this development. I look forward to part 2 and, maybe, a part 3 depending on what happens in part 2.

Thanks for writing and sharing your story!
Ray Reynolds

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Ray
As I'm sure others have said, this is an excellent story! I'm a reader who only reads completed stories so, now that I've finished it, I want to comment.

Thank you so much for reading it!!

Originally Posted by Ray
Your story kept me in suspense and I would regretfully put it down at the end of the day looking forward to the next day when I could continue in this universe. The first half of the story had me rooting for Lois to, slowly, come to love Alt-Clark.

Yes, right?! They built up a very good friendship over those few weeks, and although it does end up being "love of good friends", it does not end up being romantic love as we all (even I, as the author) wanted for AltClark!

Originally Posted by Ray
He seemed so very happy to be with her but then that universes Clark is introduced and my hopes were dashed.

whinging Gah!

Originally Posted by Ray
Alt-Clark has done an excellent job of hiding his feelings for Lois while supporting her and Clark.

He did become such a great friend to both of them and was SOOO instrumental to her Clark's recovery. love

Originally Posted by Ray
I wonder how he's going to deal with being Superman most of the time and how H.G. Wells will factor into this development. I look forward to part 2 and, maybe, a part 3 depending on what happens in part 2.

Thanks for writing and sharing your story!
Ray Reynolds

Thankfully, I think AltClark is in a place now where he's happy and content, and he appreciates all the things that are different about this world. The fact that this world treats him/Superman like a person and that he has friends who love him (like a family) makes this world so much better than his.

Thank you again so much!! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read it and comment smile1

I hope you enjoy part 2 when I get to posting it (which I think will be right after the new year!)

Happy Holidays!

-Bek

hyper

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Bek,

I finally managed to catch up with this story. It's absolutely amazing, the writing, the storyline, everything. I completely agree with the others: thank you so much for delurking and sharing your talent with us.

With this tale you've broken quite a few of what I consider the unspoken rules of this fandom, but still managed not to scare anyone off, at least not me.

Rule 1: Never kill any of the main characters. I know that deathfic exists, but it has always played a minor role. I guess killing off Alt-Lois is acceptable, because she was sort of dead anyway.

Rule 2: Don't let Lois be happy with anyone but Clark. Though she's not in a romantic relationship with the story telling Clark, she is with another Clark. Can't say I did see that twist coming. And I was in tears several times as Alt-Clark realized that no matter how patient he would be, there is no wooing this Lois.

Rule 3: Clark can't move on. I know there have been fics where he does move on. But again, they will never be part of the main stream. With one exception, there had never been a fic I read where I truly hope that he is going to move on.

It was so great to see this Clark grow into this universe. His life was so sad before he switched universes. And though he can't have this world's Lois, he can have happiness. I hope that the next part will have a new secret identity for him. Perhaps as Clark's long lost twin (I want to send you a copy of Erich Kästner's "Lisa and Lottie", the novel on which "the Parent Trap" is based on. Perhaps that will give you some ideas, huh? wink

Anyway, I just loved this story, though it's including almost everything that usually is not my cup of tea. Eagerly waiting for the next part. hyper

clap clap clap

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by bakasi
Hi Bek,

I finally managed to catch up with this story. It's absolutely amazing, the writing, the storyline, everything. I completely agree with the others: thank you so much for delurking and sharing your talent with us.

I'm soooo glad I've finally really joined this community too. It's been much more rewarding than I'd thought possible! Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! grin

With this tale you've broken quite a few of what I consider the unspoken rules of this fandom, but still managed not to scare anyone off, at least not me.

Rule 1: Never kill any of the main characters. I know that deathfic exists, but it has always played a minor role. I guess killing off Alt-Lois is acceptable, because she was sort of dead anyway.

Rule 2: Don't let Lois be happy with anyone but Clark. Though she's not in a romantic relationship with the story telling Clark, she is with another Clark. Can't say I did see that twist coming. And I was in tears several times as Alt-Clark realized that no matter how patient he would be, there is no wooing this Lois.

Rule 3: Clark can't move on. I know there have been fics where he does move on. But again, they will never be part of the main stream. With one exception, there had never been a fic I read where I truly hope that he is going to move on.

Interesting to hear you say all of this!

I myself am not a fan of deathfics (or at least, nothing in which Lois or Clark die), but I was told by a trusted source (*cough* KSaraSara *cough*) that this is technically not a deathfic... AltLois was already assumed dead -- I just gave her a reason to not be able to be saved (that is, AltClark couldn't just go back in time to rescue her since she already had a terminal illness whinging ....he needed to know that his Lois was gone for him to not ever want to go back to his world...). And then, since the other Clark ends up being brought back from the Sun, he doesn't stay dead....

The other two are tricky given the world I created! I know everyone hoped that AltClark would eventually gain Lois's (romantic) love, and honestly, if her Clark had not returned, it probably would have happened, given enough time. And I tried really hard to create a world for AltClark in which he could be truly happy, even without a Lois of his own. I think you summarized it well...

It was so great to see this Clark grow into this universe. His life was so sad before he switched universes. And though he can't have this world's Lois, he can have happiness.

Indeed, the world he came from was not a place where he could grow -- perhaps unless he DID have his Lois. But in this world, where he has true friendship with Lois, the other Clark is like a brother, and the Kents...Well, Martha at least, and Jonathan will eventually get there... This is a place he CAN be happy. And he wants to be happy, so he will choose to stay hopeful and build himself a rewarding life here. smile1

I hope that the next part will have a new secret identity for him. Perhaps as Clark's long lost twin (I want to send you a copy of Erich Kästner's "Lisa and Lottie", the novel on which "the Parent Trap" is based on. Perhaps that will give you some ideas, huh? wink

My daughter has that book, actually! I'll have to read it again. I have been considering writing a true sequel, since I think there are many things left to explore in this universe -- particularly this point, how will AltClark build a life without the DP, and will he have to develop a new identity? confused

I want to clarify that Anchor Parts II and III are not really sequels... Part II is told from the POV of this world's Clark Kent, and Part III is Lois's POV. Obviously, there is quite a bit of overlap with Part I, but much of Part II is new events and a much different perspective on the overlapping events...

Anyway, I just loved this story, though it's including almost everything that usually is not my cup of tea. Eagerly waiting for the next part. hyper

clap clap clap

Thank you SO much!!

I hope that the next parts are as well received grin

-Bek
hyper

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard