K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Hey, FoLCs!

(Imma try out putting 30 Years in front of related posts just in case there are a lot of them? goofy)

I was chatting with Annette tonight and she mentioned that one of her other fandoms has a weekly top 10 list of favorite fics! And we both thought it would be awesome to try and do here.

In honor of next year being 30 years since the show started, we could start doing a weekly top 10 list of ALLLL the fanfics from the beginning of time until the end of 2022.

She says we can use the software that already exists on the backend of the sites to build forms so that we can curate the top 10 lists. (I think I got that info right… grin )

And in addition, she said we should do special top 10 lists…like “All Time 10 Favorites” from some of the OG FoLCs that are still around—like Labrat and Annette and KathyB…etc. Then once our 30 year celebration year is over, we can just continue with a weekly top 10 voted on by fandom.

Annette says we can put up a WordPress site in minutes and $10 for the first year domain of maybe lctopten.com or lcweeklytop10.com or something smile

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? smile1

Sara smile

What do you think of having a weekly top 10 fanfic list?
single choice
I LOVE IT! (91%, 10 Votes)
Eh…I don’t really think it’s worth it. (0%, 0 Votes)
I’m not sure! But I’ll share my thoughts below! (9%, 1 Votes)
Total Votes: 11
Voting on this poll ends: 12/08/22 04:28 AM

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I like the idea, and it would be really fun, but I think weekly might be too much to keep up long term? Perhaps monthly?

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
How would this work? A new topic every week and then people nominate stories and it creates a top 10? I am intrigued but I don't quite understand the process. And I think Blueowl's suggestion of monthly might work better. It might be a lot to come up with ideas every week, and it sounds like a great place for story recs but I definitely don't have time to read ten stories a week.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Blueowl—Yeah, that’s true! We can see what we think might work as next year comes to a close.

AnnieM—what do you mean our 2am thoughts don’t make sense complete sense? lol But from what I understood from Annette, the tools we have existing for the sites within WordPress are pretty powerful and could accomplish something like making a submission form for top 10 favorite fics (from the database, maybe?), and then the software would be able to spin out what came to the top 10? I think A was wanting to gauge interest before hammering out any details.

Myself, I love the idea! I’m not fully sure how it works technically right now. cat

Sara smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just to jump in, before we decide on duration - maybe monthly is all we need - We could get something up and ready within a week because this first year we'll be dealing with almost 30 years of fanfic. Once we see what kind of volume we may have we can plan from there ..?

If there is anyone who would like to help with this please let us know because the more the merrier! I'm going to look a little more into how the other fandom (Twilight) does it and see what we can learn from them .. sound like a start?

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
B
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
B
Sounds like a fun idea. Although I'm wondering about the whole logistics would work then. Like, would we go through one year at each round? And how would the qualifying criteria be? Like, would we use the years release list from the Archive? Sounds like the most logical option to go but then especially in the recent years there's a bunch of fic that hasn't made its way to the archive yet.

As for the voting, I'd expect we can and will not read all the fics of that year, as that would be a bit too much to do but I assume it will be possible to remember those fics we know from then and a chance to discover new ones through the years that sound interesting. Not a big of an issue though since with various participants, various interests and therefore fics will make it into top lists... Also, do the fics in the top 10 then need to be in a particular oder like from rank #10 to #1 or just the best ten? Shall the fics be just listed or commented why they made it into the list of the respective voter?

Annyway, sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
BlindPassenger—All excellent questions! Some of the logistics might be resolved just as we’re working in the background on some automated processes for the upcoming Kerth season… so we’ll have to check with Michael on that one!

And yeah, definitely idea is to bring some older fics to the light, so to speak—let new FoLCs discover old stories and old FoLCs like me who have drift away and come back a good idea of where to catch up!

That’s an interesting option, to maybe have comments for WHY it’s a favorite! I know I do love a personal recommendation to help me decide if our tastes align and whatnot. I wonder how/if that would work logistically…

We’ll be poking around at this idea in the meantime!

Sara smile

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard