Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, I am loving this so much. You write AltClark so we'll, and the emotion is so rich that I was teary most of the time I read this post frown and I can't wait to see how his parents are and how this world responds to his return.

Or how he responds to how differently they treat him...

His world was so cold and detached from him -- I really don't feel bad that that world lost their Superman.....

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This setup, with altClark coming to Lois2's (not a typo, just an identification) universe to replace the Superman who died on Krypton defending people who needed him. I'm also impressed with the first-person present-tense narrative. This kind of thing is very difficult to pull off, which is why I rarely tried it except for a couple of short pieces. You're doing it very well.

Superman2 was a southpaw? Had trouble remembering dates and passwords? Interesting. I wonder what other little differences will pop up. Maybe he wasn't as in love with Lois as she was with him. Maybe altClark will get to know Lois2 better and love her more than Clark2 could have. That would be a very interesting development indeed.

Lois2 is a hero. She's giving altClark all the information she can to help him succeed and she isn't projecting her anger and grief and loss onto him - at least, not yet. This new relationship won't be the same - cannot be the same - as the one she had before. She can't be all lovey-dovey with altClark right away because he's not her Clark and never will be. If they have a relationship, it will have to grow naturally.

The experiences altClark is sharing with Clark2 are intriguing. How deep does it go? Can altClark learn to control them and use them when he needs insight on how Clark2 would handle a certain situation? Or will they break into his mind at inconvenient times and distract him? Will experiencing the other Clark's combat affect him psychologically? In fact, that could be part of the explanation for the difference behaviors and attitudes, a case of PTSD. That would go along way in justifying Lois2's different treatment of him, along with a natural and understandable latent anger at his leaving him.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. We'll see. And, like Blueowl, I'm ready to find out how Martha2 and Jonathan2 treat him. These two aren't like our Clark's parents in every way. Maybe they'll resent his presence, at least at first. Maybe they'll be angry about the switch and blow up at him - they don't even know yet that their son is dead. And there's no gentle way to say that.

I'm looking for the next set of chapters. I like this one.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Wow, I am loving this so much. You write AltClark so we'll, and the emotion is so rich that I was teary most of the time I read this post frown and I can't wait to see how his parents are and how this world responds to his return.

Or how he responds to how differently they treat him...

His world was so cold and detached from him -- I really don't feel bad that that world lost their Superman.....

I'm so glad you are enjoying it so far!

I always imagined that no matter how good the attempt at PR, the first exposure everyone had to Superman on his world was as "leader in an alien invasion" -- thanks to Tempus, and on live television -- and that might color how he's perceived, regardless of how much good he does. mecry

Thanks for reading!

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
This setup, with altClark coming to Lois2's (not a typo, just an identification) universe to replace the Superman who died on Krypton defending people who needed him. I'm also impressed with the first-person present-tense narrative. This kind of thing is very difficult to pull off, which is why I rarely tried it except for a couple of short pieces. You're doing it very well.

Thank you! It's not easy (first person, present tense), and sometimes I wonder if I should have chosen differently... confused But it started out in my head like that, and so I continued that way.

Superman2 was a southpaw? Had trouble remembering dates and passwords? Interesting. I wonder what other little differences will pop up. Maybe he wasn't as in love with Lois as she was with him. Maybe altClark will get to know Lois2 better and love her more than Clark2 could have. That would be a very interesting development indeed.

There are a few others that will come up...! smile1

Lois2 is a hero. She's giving altClark all the information she can to help him succeed and she isn't projecting her anger and grief and loss onto him - at least, not yet. This new relationship won't be the same - cannot be the same - as the one she had before. She can't be all lovey-dovey with altClark right away because he's not her Clark and never will be. If they have a relationship, it will have to grow naturally.

Agreed! She's a very strong woman.

The experiences altClark is sharing with Clark2 are intriguing. How deep does it go? Can altClark learn to control them and use them when he needs insight on how Clark2 would handle a certain situation? Or will they break into his mind at inconvenient times and distract him? Will experiencing the other Clark's combat affect him psychologically? In fact, that could be part of the explanation for the difference behaviors and attitudes, a case of PTSD. That would go along way in justifying Lois2's different treatment of him, along with a natural and understandable latent anger at his leaving him.

All good thoughts!

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. We'll see. And, like Blueowl, I'm ready to find out how Martha2 and Jonathan2 treat him. These two aren't like our Clark's parents in every way. Maybe they'll resent his presence, at least at first. Maybe they'll be angry about the switch and blow up at him - they don't even know yet that their son is dead. And there's no gentle way to say that.

I'm looking for the next set of chapters. I like this one.

I'm glad you are enjoying it so far! Thank you for the wonderful FDK smile

-Bek

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Started reading this story today and I have to say it is powerful. This Clark is a very sympathic character and Lois is not as angry as I would have expected her to be.

The little touches of difference between Alt-Clark and the Clark of this universe are subtle, but no less telling. It will be interesting to see how he navigates life in this universe. So glad Perry White is the editor here and not James Olsen. What a creep!

Onto the next chapter!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Morgana
Started reading this story today and I have to say it is powerful. This Clark is a very sympathic character and Lois is not as angry as I would have expected her to be.

The little touches of difference between Alt-Clark and the Clark of this universe are subtle, but no less telling. It will be interesting to see how he navigates life in this universe. So glad Perry White is the editor here and not James Olsen. What a creep!

I'm so glad you've started reading it! Thank you!! clap

This Lois is a bit different, but she is still innately "Lois"! She is also grieving and doing her best to try to accept...everything. whinging

I definitely had to have Perry here, not Mr. Olsen!! (especially since I made him out to be not a very nice guy in AltClark's world!)

Thanks again for reading! Hope you enjoy the rest as you go on!

-Bek

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard