Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
This is it, my final contribution to this wonderful sandbox in which I’ve been privileged to play for more years than I want to total up. And I wanted my swan song for Lois and Clark to be memorable.

There are too many unfinished stories on the boards, stories with wonderful premises and gripping plots and compelling characters – but which just come to a screeching halt halfway through the tale. And there are too many FOLCs who have just vanished into the worldwide ether without any public knowledge of how or why they’re no longer active. I didn’t want anyone to wonder what had happened to me, so please consider this my official retirement notice.

For the foreseeable future, this is it for me. My life is veering off into new and uncharted waters, largely due to my increasingly unstable health, and this wonderful and amazing fandom isn’t part of that future. I will always cherish the time I’ve spent here, the responses (both positive and negative) to the stories I’ve written, and the intelligent and perceptive people with whom I have corresponded, both publicly and privately. I’ll lurk back on occasion, but at this point I don’t anticipate becoming active again. Of course, no one can accurately foresee the future, least of all me.

I will miss this. A lot. But it’s time for me to make a change. Please understand and believe that I’m not departing because I’m angry about some imagined slight or that I’m disappointed in the people or the stories here – in fact, I firmly believe that this fandom has gathered some of the best writers in the world in one virtual place, whether anyone gets paid for putting these words in a row or not. I would put the overall quality of the stories on the archive up against those of any other fandom, irrespective of genre, and be confident that the gems in this fandom will end up shining like a laser show.

I applaud everyone’s commitment to quality storytelling and positive values, and I hope you all keep up the great work in the future. There will always be room for Lois and Clark and Superman in my heart. There just aren’t enough hours in the day for me to remain as active as I have been in the past.

Why am I leaving? In a nutshell, it’s me, it’s not you. And I really mean that.

Best wishes to everyone. Good night, and may the Lord guide and bless your steps.

# The Final End #

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Terry,

I have not yet read your story; I always first peak at your initial post in your FDK thread to see whether the story is likely to be too depressing for my tastes. So this post is not feedback on your story, but rather on your goodbye.

I'll miss you and your insightful, thoughtful, comments, but I understand the reasons you gave for leaving. Thank you for telling us.

I wish you all the best. Please use your freed-up time to take good care of yourself. And if ever you feel like coming back, you will be most welcome here.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Oh, Terry, I'm going too miss you, too. The boards will lose a tremendous writer. I'm sad to see you leave. But I'll send you my best wishes along your way, wherever that may lead you. Be well

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I just finished reading your story. What can I say? It makes me want to cry -- not so much for story Sam and company, but for all of us.

It is fitting that your final story here includes your muses. Your stories were the first ones I ever read which had such beings, and you made me fall in love with the concept. Thalia sends her best wishes to you and yours.

Thank you for being an active part of this fandom and for sharing gems such as this story with us.

Goodbye and God bless.

Take care,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terry, you're an excellent writer and this fandom will be diminished by losing you. I hope your health improves and you can someday come back to play with us. In the meantime, Godspeed. It's been an honor. frown

~•~
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Terry,

I'm sad to hear this news. You're a wonderful writer with exciting ideas, and you always have insightful comments for others. I've enjoyed working with you on stories. Your contributions will be greatly missed. I'll keep your health needs in my prayers. Hope you're able to stop by in the future.

Joan

Features Writer
Features Writer
Add me to the chorus who's sad to hear this news. You were one of the first authors I found in the archives, and I've not only enjoyed your stories but learned from them. They're well-researched, absorbing, and beautifully written. Your comments are thought-provoking.

The Lord bless you and your family in this challenging time.

P.S. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and stories.

Last edited by cuidadora; 01/02/22 08:51 AM. Reason: P.S. added

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

C
Blogger
Blogger
C
Terry,

I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving, just as i have made the decision to become a more active member of this community. For the past 5 years i have been silently lurking around here, one of my new years resolutions was to start commenting and sharing my stories.

Thank you for your great stories, they have inspired me and among others have help me through some dark and difficult times in my life.

Don't be a stranger, come visit have a laugh and a cry with a story and leave a comment.

Good bye for now, Good luck and safe journey.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aww, Terry! whinging I'm so sorry to see you go. What a heartbreaking fic to go out on. But so, so good. Take care of yourself, my friend, and hopefully one day you'll pop back in here again.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Terry.
As others have said, I will certainly miss you and your wonderful stories. I wish you all the best, in whatever you do.
Ray

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Such a well-written, poignant goodbye! I’m sorry to see you going, but I do wish you well in whatever comes next for you!

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Lynn, thank you for your kind words. And please thank Thalia for her good wishes. I'm sure my team can whisper sweet somethings in her ear soon. (I take no responsibility for any story ideas that collaboration might produce.)

Bakasi, thank you for the compliment and the good wishes. I've enjoyed working with you on your stories. I have no doubt that you and many others will pick up any slack I've left.

Mary, thank you so much. As with the others responding in this thread, I have a great deal of respect for your talents and your accomplishments. Godspeed to you also.

scifiJoan, thank you. I've enjoyed reading your work over the years, and I have enjoyed working with you also.

cuidadora, you learned from me? That's a wonderful compliment. To the extent that I've taught you, it's because I've stood on the shoulders of others who have come before me. There are so many good stories on the archive that I couldn't name them without leaving out a bunch of fabulous entries.

captainscout, thank you for your encouragement. I hope you post lots of gripping stories here.

DC, thank you. I'm sorry to go. But I'm glad you enjoyed (assuming that's the correct description) my finale. I'll swing by occasionally.

Ray, thanks for the kind words and the good wishes.

KSaraSara, thank you also. Your kindness touches me.

I want to thank everyone with whom I've exchanged comments, feedback, and editing suggestions. I've learned how to write effectively here, and you FoLCs are a major portion of the reason. Keep the cape hanging in the secret compartment behind the closet and make sure the fish are well fed. And please, someone put a small plastic tree in the planter beside Lois' desk. (I wish I'd thought to do it.)

Lots of good memories will go with me. Bye.

P.S. I'll be around to nominate and vote in the Kerths. I have some noms to submit soon.

Last edited by Terry Leatherwood; 01/09/22 09:08 PM. Reason: add P.S.

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
I just discovered this one. Terry, I'm sad to hear you're leaving, but I wish you all bhe best for what Comes next. I'll miss your stories a lot though. I have great respect for you going into directions with some of your fics most other authors would avoid but had to be done. I'm alsu struck by the detailled characterizations you give to even the small side characters and the very thought-through comments you leave on stories. That's how Reviews Need to be to give the authors something to think about. I wouldn't be surprised though if you do a Perry and come back every-so-often (Retirement? don't know him:-)

Tkae care and have a good one!

Nick

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Terry, thank you for sharing your awesomeness with us. I wish you the best of luck with your health and with everything you choose to do with your time.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry! Catching up on fics hyper
, look at the gray suit coat – size fifty-four long
So, here’s the title from. /after reading the rest/ oh boy, that title is a reference to the suit coat, and combined with the first person, it substitutes to ‘My Goodbye’ clap

hung up on a corner of a drawer in the gray filing cabinet, flick my gray tie, and shake my gray head.
Very dark and gray and depressing. Also, it’s raining today, so the weather’s dark and gray and depressing, too, right now. How did you do this?

I realize that I’ve never counted to see if I have as many as fifty shades of gray in the office.
rotflol I never read it but I’m pop-culture aware enough to make fun with it. So, is the secretary the girl from Fifty Shades? (btw, there’s an urban myth out there that Fifty Shades is Twilight fanfic with sex and Twilight is Superman fanfic with sex which makes Fifty Shades Superman fanfic with sex to the power of sex. rotflol)

I really don’t have enough foot traffic or phone calls nowadays to keep a secretary as good as Effie busy, but she just waves me off if I suggest that she find a better job – “better” being defined as one that pays more regularly than I can pay her.

I lean back in the beat-up wooden office chair and listen to the tortured squeak. It sounds old and tired. Almost worn out.

Like me.
Oh dear, this would work great as a end-times day fic for the Daily Planet with just Perry and Lois holding the fort after online media has first decimated print news and then also factual news until it reached the point where anything longer than 140 characters isn’t going to find an audience capable of enough reading comprehension to make sense of it.

A lot of the cases I’ve worked had been difficult to resolve, a few had been downright weird, but I’ve had a bunch of good laughs. And a few tears, too. Not every case ended in a party.
clap Terry’s fics!

He was nice enough to give me some pointers on my technique, then he did me a real solid and helped to set me up in the business.
Awwww.../goes digging in the morgue/ “[url=http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2004/html/endofthe.html]The End of the Matter[url]” alternate ending to a Tank fic?

He’s retired now, and I haven’t heard from him in years
Oh great, now I’m flashing to Babylon 5’s Sleeping in Light and all the friends and compatriots that have moved on beyond the veil.

I almost don’t recognize her. But it’s Harley.
I don’t know if you described her hair before but given that Harley Quinn Season 3 is going to start this supper, I can’t help but flash to the HBO version laugh

She’s wearing her standard red-and-black outfit without the mask and her blonde hair is down instead of braided or pony-tailed on either side.
Oh, it’s not just the name. Has it been *that* long?

Got it. She isn’t smiling.

That’s really weird. Harley’s not smiling. I’ve never seen that before.

She waves at the chair in front of my desk and says, “Mind if I sit down?”
So, shrink session with Dr. Quinzell?

“At least, I always thought it turned out nice.”
[Linked Image]

Effie’s smile quirks sideways. “True, but we really don’t want any more versions of him running around loose, do we?”
Well… say, did you ever do a Vatman?

I’ll always have my case files. And who knows? I might do some freelancing in my twilight years.
/points at the nice little ho-ho-down from two weeks ago/

I really have had a great run. Been lots of fun, too. I’ve really enjoyed it.

Thanks. And goodbye.
Awwwww mecry

This is it, my final contribution to this wonderful sandbox in which I’ve been privileged to play for more years than I want to total up. And I wanted my swan song for Lois and Clark to be memorable.
It was!

Best wishes to everyone. Good night, and may the Lord guide and bless your steps.
Terry, thanks for all your wonderful contributions to this fandom and all the fun we’ve had BR’ing! May you have the best years possible for you in your retirement!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for your kind words, BP. Looks like you were right - I dropped back in for a quick visit.

AmyPrime, thank you for thinking that I have any awesomeness in me at all. I just wrote what I wanted to read, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

wave Hi, Michael! Thanks so much for your comments.

btw, there’s an urban myth out there that Fifty Shades is Twilight fanfic with sex and Twilight is Superman fanfic with sex which makes Fifty Shades Superman fanfic with sex to the power of sex.

Huh. I've never heard that before. Could be, I guess.

So, is the secretary the girl from Fifty Shades?

No, she's Effie Perrin from Dashiel Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon." Effie was Sam Spade's faithful secretary and sidekick. I'm standing in for Humphrey Bogart because, you know, he's dead. And I'm much taller than he was.

Oh dear, this would work great as a end-times day fic for the Daily Planet with just Perry and Lois holding the fort after online media has first decimated print news and then also factual news until it reached the point where anything longer than 140 characters isn’t going to find an audience capable of enough reading comprehension to make sense of it.

I find it ironic (and funny) that the comment above is more than 140 characters. I'm just a little off-center, I guess.

alternate ending to a Tank fic?

Yes. He was very kind to me and received my "suggested" rewrite with a good spirit.

Well… say, did you ever do a Vatman?

Nope. Never got any urge to, either, but not because the premise is bad.

/points at the nice little ho-ho-down from two weeks ago/

Yeah, Harley just had to get one last shot in.

Terry, thanks for all your wonderful contributions to this fandom and all the fun we’ve had BR’ing! May you have the best years possible for you in your retirement!

He's not kidding about the BR stuff. We've had some deep philosophical discussions (and some rabbit-trail humor) working on some of my tales. If you can get Darth Michael to beta your story, you'll get quality responses every time.

Thanks again, y'all! /quietly slips out the back door/

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!
No, she's Effie Perrin from Dashiel Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon." Effie was Sam Spade's faithful secretary and sidekick. I'm standing in for Humphrey Bogart because, you know, he's dead. And I'm much taller than he was.
laugh
I find it ironic (and funny) that the comment above is more than 140 characters. I'm just a little off-center, I guess.
rotflol I hadn't even noticed!

He's not kidding about the BR stuff. We've had some deep philosophical discussions (and some rabbit-trail humor) working on some of my tales. If you can get Darth Michael to beta your story, you'll get quality responses every time.
Aww thanks so much for the kind words blush

/watches as the old wood and glass door closes with a slowly/ He really should have oiled those hinges, though. They do creak quite a bit. Makes those silent entrances and exits far more difficult to pull off than he thinks wink

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I missed this thread and saw The Last Goodbye on the Archive. I am so sorry for coming to the party late but I want to say thanks, regardless.

I want to express my gratitude for all the stories, some of the best stories, I've read in a long time. Some I enjoyed. Some I learned from. Some I learned about Terry from. I feel like a good friend has moved away.

Godspeed, Terry. I'll be praying for your health. If we meet someday I owe you the beverage of your choice in thanks.

David

Shallowford
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thank you for your kind words, David. When I wrote that I didn't plan to be active again, I really meant that I probably wouldn't post any more stories. I should have been more precise, because I find myself compelled to comment on occasion.

I really like Mountain Dew, although I rarely drink it now because it makes my doctors frown (lots of sugar and caffeine). For you, though, I'll gladly make an exception. In fact, I may hoist one to you some time this week. Thank you so much.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard