Next Thread
Print Thread
#29313 04/23/06 07:56 AM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I don't have much time right now, but I just wanted to say that this story just keeps me bouncing from one emotion to the next. I"m crying all through the first part, and now I'm laughing in the midst of the bittersweet second chapter. Only thing I know that makes you so crazy is love. Clearly I'm in love with this story...

Anyway...
But more than likely there was a reason for that as well. Maybe she had been up late the night before. Maybe she'd been out on a d... date. Maybe she'd been on a stakeout. A private one. Investigating the genius behind Double Fudge Crunch bars, demanding to know just *what* they put in there to make them so fattening and then demanding that they take it out.
Example #1: "d...date" = me thinking "oh Clark, the idea hurts so much you can barely even think it! My poor baby!" followed immediately by a Double Fudge Crunch Bar reference that had me snickering. Sara...you're just...brilliant.

And #2...
Trying to act like he wasn't ready to break down in the middle of his living room and beg her to love him, he smiled back at her gently and nodded in the direction of the door. His heart took another dive as she rolled her eyes at him - She Rolled Her Eyes At Him! - and disappeared through the archway.

Good. Things were clearly getting back to normal. Now all he had to worry about was how much he was going to miss her while she was in the shower.
The image of Clark breaking down and begging just had me laughing. Not because it's ludricrous, but because it's not. Because he loves her to the point of illogic-ness. And the rolling eyes thing...I *love* the rolling eyes thing. Maybe the best part of Lois and Clark's love is the reality of it. The reason why, for example, my favorite moment of the whole series is probably when Clark rubs Lois's tummy after Ralph's Pagoda. Because that's a nightmare moment, you know? First date embarrassment to an nth degree. But with Lois and Clark, you have hope for the type of love that's not just amazing in those romantic perfect "you're not alone anymore" moments, or in the tragic "I would die for you" moments, but in the...I don't know..."you're sick and gassy and bloated and I love you so much it hurts" moments. Indelicate, I know, but that's why I love them. That's love to me.

He took two running steps in the direction of the bathroom, careened headlong into an inconveniently placed ornamental stand, and took a flying dive northwards. His glasses flew one way, his body another, and only his super-reflexes stopped him from hitting the floor with an almighty thud.
I can't be the only one that almost fell off her chair laughing at this, can I? It's just that his abrupt inability to coordinate his limbs b/c Lois is crying is so cute and insane. It's just so amusing that she can undo him at such a level with a single hidden sob.

And this...
"I realised that death doesn't make a difference when you love somebody." She looked right at him - needing him to hear her. "I realised I'd never get over losing you, that I'd always miss you... I realised I'd be in love with you for the rest of my life, whether or not you were in it, or with me, or breathing - and there's nothing I can do anymore."
This line just sums up the terrible curse of a love like theirs. It's like that moment when Lois tells Clark that his molecular structure slows aging. At the time, I, like Lois, was thinking about her pain. But then in the commercial break I thought "oh, God, what this must be like for Clark!" Because though they say it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, how can you really say that when you love someone they way they do? When they're everything to you, and even if you never see them again, you know they always will be?

Gah! I can't write anymore; there are just way too many human truths in this story for me to comment on them all. Sara, you're amazing.

J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I am enjoying this very much, but the ending of this section threw me. One minute, Lois and Clark are embracing in Clark's kitchen. The next, they are in Lois' apartment? It was a bit disjointed for me.

The emotions in this story are brilliant.

--
Jeff
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I thought the first part was astounding, Sorcha. Apparently you were just warming up. shock

Life was strange. Every time he began to think of it as a smooth and never-ending road, it tipped itself over and turned inside out. He'd once thought the stars held his fate in their depths - thought if he flew hard enough and fast enough he could maybe reach out and touch his destiny, taste it - but he was wiser now.
He'd given up trying to find rhyme or reason in his existence. His life didn't belong to the stars; it belonged to the woman sitting directly across from him, staring morosely into her mug of tea.
What can I say? jump

Have you written anythings else? Surely this cannot be your first fic?

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Arawn:
Have you written anythings else? Surely this cannot be your first fic?
Jumping in here because I know someone's modest - Sara\'s Stories . <g> If you've the time, start with 'Made to be Broken' and 'For Old Time's Sake'. wink

*end plug*

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Sara

This is excellent. smile1 Please post more soon.

Tricia cool

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Jumping in to bump this up to queue so I won't forget to reply to comments later... smile

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard