Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Here's my take on a pairing I don't think I have ever seen in any other fanfic: Tempus and Mxy. I would *love* to read other people's takes on their meeting (hint, hint).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lol! I love this Lynn! lol

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Oh my goodness! I almost snorted tea out of my nose! Hilarious, loved it!

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
OMG!! rotflol Genius!!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Hahaha. That was just my kind of humor. Very well done, Lynn rotflol rotflol rotflol

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
What a delightful tale! Thanks for sharing. rotflol
clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hahaha, love when things backfire on Tempus! Fun story!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
My thanks to all of you who have left feedback.

Humour is such a subjective thing. I was amused by my story as I wrote it, but I had had no idea whether anyone else would find it at all funny. Your feedback relieved my mind on that count. Thank you. smile

- Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Good job, Lynn. I like stories where the Trickster is tricked, and this one certainly gave me a hearty chuckle. But then I have a weird sense of humor.

(That was not meant as an ironic compliment.)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Terry,

I took it more as a backhanded insult, so to speak -- it might appear at first glance to be an insult (Since we have similar senses of humour, you are indirectly saying that I have a weird sense of humour), but since I freely acknowledge and like the fact that my sense of humor is a bit unusual, I take what you wrote as a compliment. Thank you. smile

I'm glad my story gave you a chuckle.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol rotflol rotflol

Oh, this was a thing of Beauty! clap

Thanks so much for writing this!

~•~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Wow! Coming from the Queen of Comedy herself, that is high praise indeed. Thanks, Queenie. smile

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lynn, please allow me to clarify myself. I intended to say something positive about the story while referencing it at the same time. The aside that my comment wasn't meant as an "ironic compliment" was supposed to mean that I enjoyed seeing Tempus - who so, so loves irony - caught in a trap of his own style. Hoist upon his own petard, as it were. I meant no insult to you or to your sense of humor, which obviously favors both symmetry and reflexive irony. If those things weren't true, you wouldn't have come up with this gem.

Here's my favorite section.

“Oh, goodie. I get three wishes.”

“Three wishes? No, that’s genies. Wait – you think only genies live in lamps? Nah, lamps are prime real estate. Now, old lady Dfxqnsfg tried to sell me the shoe she and her kids lived in, but her place had no sole. But a lamp like this – it even comes with a built-in fireplace. A perfect place for an imp like me.”

"No sole." Priceless.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the clarification. I had caught the reference to irony as an allusion to the story, but I wasn't sure what an "ironic compliment" would be if not a backhanded compliment -- hence my playing off of the phrase with my "backhanded insult" line. It is I who should apologize, since my attempt at humour with that turn of phrase apparently backfired. (I guess this is what you get when two aspies try to communicate...) In any event, I had not been insulted in the slightest.

We do indeed have similar senses of humour: The "no sole" line was the one I enjoyed most in my story, with the idea of an oil lamp having a built-in "fireplace" not far behind. Honestly, the whole concept of oddball fairy tale or nursery rhyme real estate appealed to me. But I had had no idea whether anyone else would be as tickled by the conceit as I had been. I appreciate your singling out that passage. smile

Joy,
Lynn

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Haha! Too cute! I love that Tempus gets so excited and accidentally blows his one wish. lol

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, KSaraSara. I had fun writing this story.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 02/02/22 12:25 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hahaha! Fun story! Tempus has the best snark. grin

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Anna. On the show, Tempus was the master of snark. I'm glad you thought I captured his voice well.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hi Lynn!

It’s your fault for making them so short that I can do multiple stories during my commute smile1

The 19th century was grimy and deadly. Tempus
Hello, Asylum Tempus wave

but he was stuck here in Wells’ flat, killing time waiting for the author to finish the latest repairs on the time machine.
Did Tempus pull a McFly and visit the time traveling science guy at his workshop early in his career?

What he would give to be watching some twentieth century TV show – even an inane comedy!
Maybe if he found himself a mirror?

What hideous taste! Why, just look at that oil lamp.
Umm… you my want to refrain from rubbing the time traveler’s … oil lamp in his living room.

His eyes widened when he saw the lamp emit a puff of smoke from which appeared a small man with a funny hat.
See? Unwanted surprise could spill out if you rub it. Now, let’s hope he doesn’t wish he hadn’t seen his reflection in the lamp. He might end up blind.

Entertainment in the twenty-second century had been reduced to the drivel of fairy tales, and so Tempus had an inkling of what might be happening. “Oh, goodie. I get three wishes.”
laugh and no, those were cautionary tales on the dangers of kobolds, djinns, and leprechauns.

But a lamp like this – it even comes with a built-in fireplace. A perfect place for an imp like me.”
clap

Judge Kcsvkjht ordered that I have to grant the lamp’s bearer one wish.”
rotflol

Mxyzptlk gMxyzptlk granted Tempus his wish; he conjured up a hologram showing Clark grinning while watching the events of the past few minutes as depicted on the “I Dream of Mxy” television programme.
clap

Tempus thought of his earlier desire to watch a show; he did NOT appreciate the irony.
But we do. We certainly do!

As to the title: I almost missed it because the was no coding involved in the story, only in the story-reading equipment itself, but feedback on said story-reading equipment belongs in another publication. Anyhow, yes, then you could have a do over with the debugger. Then again, it could also be more literal and refer to Tempus’s wish now being a TV program.

You pulled another funny one out of your magical top hat clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
It’s your fault for making them so short that I can do multiple stories during my commute
Glad I can help make your commute pass by a bit faster. This story was long compared to the ones I have been posting in the "Original Fiction" section of the web site; I limit those to 75-100 words each.

You pulled another funny one out of your magical top hat
I was wearing more of a derby in this one in honour of Mxy. wink But thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard