Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I'm trying something a little different here. This piece, in my opinion neither fully prose nor fully poetry but a sort of lyrical prose, was influenced by both Scottish folklore and Old English verse. What do you think? Success, failure, or something in between?

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I think it's quite lovely, Lynn. Lyrical prose, as you term it, and it's both melancholy and quite evocative. I picture her on one of the old New England house's "widow's walk" where sailor's wives would spend hours - sometimes days - waiting for their husbands to return to them. Quite often the men would come back from a year or more away to find a new child waiting for him. They always came back to lonely wives.

thumbsup because you certainly deserve it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
It‘s very poetic. Love it.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Terry and Barbara,

Thank you both for your feedback. I had been on pins and needles wondering whether the experiment worked or whether it ventured into purple prose. Given Terry's comment about melancholy, I guess you could say that it was blue rather than purple? wink

Terry, I've always loved the architectural structure of the widow's walk, but its very name strikes me as evocative and melancholy. ; I personally envisioned the piece's speaker (or thinker) being on a rocky Scottish beach, but I purposely left open to reader interpretation where she is.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard